The Death

The five people you meet in heaven

The day that Youngjae died was his 20th birthday. It was a cold and sunny Winter's day when life seemed to be beautiful. A perfect weather for a birthday. He woke up full of excitement to meet his friends later, throw a big party and enjoy the presents. He could almost feel the taste of his mom’s baked cake. She always made it on his birthday and only then. Youngjae was looking forward to this day whole year. But first, meet with friends and have fun. That was his plans, but life had other plans under its sleeve.

 

 

“All endings are also beginnings. We just don't know it at the time.”

 

 

He jumped from bed and dashed to the bathroom where he had a quick shower. After which he got dressed in room and walked downstairs skipping few steps. His mom was already in the kitchen, preparing him birthday breakfast.

"Morning sweety." She greeted him with a smile and gave him a tight motherly hug and a peck on the cheek. "Would you like to see your present now?"

"I'll have breakfast first."

His mom stepped back taking a better look at her son.

"My boy is all grown up now."

Youngjae smiled and sat beside table where his breakfast was ready.

He planned to meet friends in the afternoon so that they could all go to skate on ice.

"Make sure to wear scarf, it's cold outside." She insisted as soon as he was ready and had walked to the door.

"Mom, I'm a big boy." He smiled nevertheless.

"I know, but I'm still your mom who worries about you."

He loved his mom that took care of him and unlike others of his age Youngjae still had strong link with his mom. After his breakfast he was greeted with her gift. As expected from a loving mother and in spite of the current weather he received a thick scarf she made him. It was brown and soft to touch. He took the big wool scarf and rolled it around his neck before going out.

He didn't knew he had only half an hour left to live.

 

 

Warm puffs of breath were leaving his mouth as he walked to the meeting place. It was a lovely day and he decided to walk instead of taking the public transport. Youngjae was careful about not slipping on icy pavement. It froze more during the night. The sun was shining so brightly and reflecting on pure white snow that made him squint. He had less than five minutes to live.

 

 

Youngjae stopped in front of the road waiting for the red light to turn green. A girl was walking with mom when she saw a stray cat. She got curious of the furry animal and chased after it with her mom being oblivious to what's going on. She was too busy talking on the phone. Little girl tried getting closer to the cat and called out, but the animal walked away. She followed and then the cat ran to the street, hurrying to reach the other side of the road and find a place to hide. From where he was standing he saw a girl running out to the street. The light still haven't switched and a car was approaching. He acted on impulse as he jumped after her and called out, panic was evident in his voice. After hearing him the girl stopped, she was now in the middle of the street, and looked back at him. Youngjae reached her in few steps, grabbing her and turning around. The car was near and driver hit on breaks. There was a violent screech of the tires when they tried to stop on the icy street and the car lost control. Youngjae felt releasing the little girl from his grasp.

Then there was a heavy hit. And darkness.

 

 

It was dark. He knew he had eyes wide open, but couldn't see a spot. Not a sound reached his ears. Deafening stillness. Strange. He didn't start to panic, rather, he felt relaxed and completely safe.

 

 

 

Youngjae opened his eyes and he had to shut them close again because of the direct sunlight. He sat up and found himself in the hammock. He opened his eyes again and after the previous darkness had to blink to adjust to the sudden brightness. When he did he looked around and recognised his grandparents' cottage, the place in where he spent holidays when he was a child. The same old trees in which he loved to climb and the tall green grass- grass? It was in the middle of the Winter, how could the grass grow and sun shine so warmly? He must be sleeping and having a dream about about his childhood. Youngjae tried to pinch himself and he yelped when he felt real pain. He didn't woke up. He looked at himself, but he looked normal as always.

His birthday. What happened to his birthday? That girl in the street. Did he manage to save her? Or did he-

"You are dead Youngjae."

He jumped upon hearing this voice and met with a young man standing in front of him. Who is he? I never seen him before.

"I'm Choi Junhong." The stranger said as if he just heard his question. "You had met me once, but you won't remember me.”

Youngjae stared at him blankly. He just remembered the boy's first words. You are dead.

"Yes and you're in heaven right now."

The boy who introduced himself as Junhong smiled.

Youngjae tried to speak up, but not a single word left his mind. Like his voice was hidden after few walls.

"That happens to everyone, don't worry. Your voice will return."

The boy gave him a reassuring smile to emphasise his words and Youngjae calmed down. He looked around again. How can this be heaven, I know this place.

"People imagine heaven as the gardens of Eden. A place where they can swim while riding a cloud or wander around. But heaven without comfort is no heaven.

It's the greatest gift: you are given the chance to understand what happened in life. To have it explained.”

 

 

“Heaven can be found in the most unlikely corners.”

 

 

Youngjae tried to bring his voice back. He had enough of being silent.

 

 

"I am the first person you met in heaven Youngjae. When I died other five people told me my life story and now I came here to help you. I'm going to tell you a story which will become your life story. You will meet other people. Some of them you knew, some not. Yet they crossed your life road which you are going. And changed it eternally."

 

 

“Each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one.”

 

 

Youngjae focused on speaking and tried again. He could manage to croak out.

"What..." His voice sounded groggy. He could feel it breaking through the walls inside. "What...happened..."

Junhong was waiting for him patiently.

"What...happened...to you?" The boy gave him a weak smile.

"I died, that's why I'm here, just like you are right now."

There was hurt in his smile, but his voice was so calm like he was talking about some object faraway.

"I was killed." He added.

"Who killed you?"

That smile again. "You did."

 

 

___

I thought of editing more, but afraid to make it worse. Tell me how is it ^^"