running away and back.

That Abandoned Coffee Shop.

Night began to fall and Jihye could hear her stomach loudly complaining from the lack of food. Daehyun had managed to fall asleep, leaving Jihye sitting alone in the darkness. Her hands and legs were bound up more tightly than before and all the sharp objects had been disposed of.

A door creaked open and Bucket entered the room. Plastic bags rustled as they brushed against his legs. Inside carried food and drinks which were worth the entire world to Jihye at the moment.

He set the food in front of you, sat down and stared.

"Well eat it," he said, pointing to the food. "I didn't just waste my money on you kids for nothing and you guys are no use to anyone dead."

"What if I wanted to die?" Jihye challenged.

"You aren't brave enough to do that," he said.

"What do you know?" she mumbled in response. He managed to hear her and gave an answer.

"Nothing about you in particular but all rich people are the same. They only care about themselves and will sacrifice anything that will help them to survive. If there is anything they care about more than themselves, it must be money."

"You're wrong. Those are all lies. We have benefactors and people who donate money to charity. If they care about the money so much then why give it away for free?"

"Publicity. More news coverage equals more money. It's an easy equation."

"It's all lies. I don't believe you."

"You'll see. If you're not worth anything to them anymore, they'll just throw you away," he laughed. "I mean just look at me. I used to be a rich fool and now what am I doing?"

"I won't be abandoned," she shouted. The man only laughed and got up, slowly walking away. He was fiddling with his phone when  a knife fell from his pockets into a cardboard boxed which muted the sound. Jihye took the chance and shouted, "How the hell am I supposed to eat anyway? My hands are all tied up."

"Simple," he said, turning around. "Do what your friend's been doing this entire time; bend down and eat with your mouth."

Like a dog, Jihye thought. That's all my dignity is worth now.

"I'm a girl and I'm not doing anything like that. It's filthy and unsanitary."

"Fine, just shut up. I'll untie the ropes around your wrists but that's it. Any funny business and they're coming back on."

"Untie him too," Jihye said, nodding towards him.

"Not a chance, kid. He's tried that before and it's left him tied up for the rest of the time he's been here." He sat down on a crate and pulled out his phone. "I'm watching you. As soon as you're done, the ropes are coming back on."

 

"Daehyun," Jihye whispered in his ear, gently shaking him. "Daehyun, food."

That magic word woke him up instantly as he slowly woke up and dragged himself over to the food. The kidnapper's eyes showed amusement as he watched Daehyun struggle. Eventually, Jihye couldn’t stand it anymore and tried to help him.

"Just stop, Dae. I'll help you," she offered.

"I'm fine. I can eat on my own," he grinned back.

"Nope, I'm helping you," she said, grabbing spoon and shoving in his mouth.

"You're so nice," he mumbled sarcastically. "Is that a way you treat a sick person?"

"So you're sick now? I thought you said you were fine?" Jihye commented, trying to shove another spoon into his mouth.

He tightly pursed his lips together and shook his head.

"I can keep this here forever so hurry up and eat." She poked at his face impatiently, trying to feed him.

He hesitantly opened his mouth and made eye contact with her. She blushed and dropped the spoon by accident.

"No, the food!" he yelled.

"Well, when you two lovebirds are done- what the hell is that idiot doing now?" The man ran outside and a war began outside.

Jihye took her chance and crawled over to the box with the knife. She grabbed it and cut the ropes binding her feet. Rushing over to Daehyun, she sliced through his too and helped him to stand up.

"So we managed to get untied, now what?" he asked, grinning again.

"Run," she said. She widened the hole she made earlier for Coco and crawled through it, signalling for Daehyun to follow.

"Let's get out of here," he smiled, sprinting ahead and dragging Jihye's arm along with him.

 

Together they ran as fast as they could but it was dark so the shadows engulfed them in darkness. It was almost a forest where they ran. The trees grew wildly in different directions, not obeying the laws of gravity.

Knowing that it wouldn't be safe until they managed to get a fair distance away, they ran nonstop but it was too much for the both of them.

Jihye caught her foot on a log and fell forward, twisting her ankle.

"Jihye, are you alright?" he asked worriedly.

"I'm fine, we have to keep going." She stood up but fell down again.

"You might be but your ankle isn't. We need to rest."

"We don't have time to rest."

"Think about it logically. If we rest now then in the morning we'll be able to go further than we can now."

"Fine, but as soon as the sun is up, we're moving."

 

Heavy footsteps could be heard as soon as the sun came up and Jihye shook Daehyun furiously until he woke up.

"How did they manage to find us so quickly?" Jihye muttered. "Damn it, Daehyun, get up. We need to move. They are here."

 

It had been an hour since they woke up but neither of them felt tired. It was a life or death situation and life would much be preferred. Twice only had they stopped, only to check their surroundings.

"Daehyun, do you think we'll get home?" Jihye asked.

"I know we will. I promise that you'll make it back," he said.

"Did you think that you could get away?" a voice called out.

"Oh ," Daehyun muttered.

He sprinted ahead with you but soon there were no more places to run or to hide.

Land was running out and the cliff seemed to be the only option left. Jihye peered down only to see the viscous rushing of a mountain stream.

"You wouldn't dare," the man yelled out.

The only way out was either to somehow get passed the men or head down the cliff and neither was a great idea. Jumping off the cliff would lead to death and heading back would mean capture.

"I know that you're a coward."

Jihye hesitated, not knowing what to do. She felt a hand push her back and in an instant, she was plummeting into the water.

"So it's going to end like this," she muttered. Jihye landed in the water with a great splash and the current threatened to drag her downstream but she managed to escape before she could be taken away.

"Go!" he shouted. "Don’t let them catch you!"

"But what about you?!" Jihye yelled back.

"Just go! I'll be there soon!"

Jihye could see people grabbing Daehyun and hear the pained sounds coming from above. A drop of red fell from above and she new it was impossible to help now, so she ran.

"I told you all rich people cared about were themselves!" Bucket shouted. "No matter if you run or hide though, we will still find you!"

"Don't worry, Daehyun. I will come back! I won't let you down."

"If you want to get her, you'll have to go through me first," Daehyun panted, struggling to stay standing.

"Our pleasure," Mop answered. "After all, you're worth about as much to us dead as you are alone."