3

Until Infinity

The next days, I found myself staying at Mrs. Liu’s house after school. How I managed to stay there with Yesung around, I don’t know myself. I thought of bringing Bom to meet him some time but she doesn’t want to befriend him. She said it will only hurt when he leaves.

 

“Oh hello, Minzy! Yesung’s not here today” said Mrs. Liu.

 

“Is that so?” Somehow, I felt sad. I don’t know. Maybe I’m just weird. Or maybe Hypophrenia strikes again.

 

“Why don’t you come in? I’m sure Amber would be glad to have you here. “

 

I sat down the sofa in the living room, hugging one throw pillow and stretching my legs. There is a book on the side table titled “Ephemeral”, seems interesting so I picked it up but something fell.

 

It was a photograph.

 

Yesung. He was smiling in the picture.

 

He never smiled in front of me. Either he wears that poker face of his or he looks irritated. Even though sometimes, I try to be extra lively for him to smile.

 

“Minzy-ah! You’re here” Amber said and I turned around to greet her”

 

“What are you holding?” She asked, coming closer to me. I showed her the photograph and she just smiled.

 

“Oh, it’s Yesung, I never knew he can smile like this.” I said. Amber is still staring at the picture smiling dearly.

 

“He’s my childhood friend. “ Amber revealed.

“I miss his smile; He stopped smiling like this when he knew about his sickness.” She is still smiling but I know that she’s dying inside. I extended my arms through her shoulder and hugged her. “I wonder what he will lose when he knew about his clock of life.”

 

I kept silent, waiting for Amber to cry but she refused. She said she doesn’t need to cry right now.

“You can keep it. If you want.” She said.

 

I wanted to refuse and tell her that I can’t but in these times, I know that I should only say one thing.

“Thanks”

---

The next day is a Saturday so I ended up spending my time wandering around. I felt free just like this, free from these clocks and the nobles and all of these. Free from the world.

 

I found myself in the school’s botanical garden, where I usually stay whenever I cut classes or I want some space. I went to that same mango tree where I first met Yesung and climbed up. He’s there again. But this time, he’s not sleeping.

 

He’s just sitting there; as if he’s waist-deep in thought. And he’s not wearing his poker face. No, he’s not really smiling, nor he looks sad. But there are some emotions shown in his face. I can’t explain it, maybe because it’s the first time I saw this face of his.

 

I didn’t realize that I was staring for too long until he noticed me. And just the strangest thing happened.

 

He smiled and invited me to sit with him.

 

“Are you okay?” was the first thing that I asked right after I sat down. He just looked at me like I’m a weirdo and chuckled.

 

“why do you ask?” He’s still smiling. And I must admit he looks good.

 

*lubdub lubdub lubdub* be still my beating heart. Damn I’m being weird again.

 

“You’re smiling. And you’re friendly today”

“Oh” He said as if he just realized it. “I got a call from my mom. She said she’ll be coming home from Canada next month.”

His excitement can be heard from his voice. And I can’t help but just smile for how adorable he looks when he’s like that.

 

“Good for you” I said with a sincere smile.