1

Until Infinity

In this world, there exist two clocks; the time clock which determines the time of the day and the clock of life which determines the life span of a person. The clock of life, however, is invisible to majority of the population. Only those noble people have the capability of seeing the clock of life for in their blood runs the Kamisama’s eye.

 

 

Nobles, the rich people, there only exists 8 clans of nobles: Kwon, Gong, Park, Lee, Jung, Wu, Bang and Liu. Like in Caste system, Noble people marry noble people. And the rest are Common people.

 


“YAH GONG MINZY! HURRY UP! WE’LL BE LATE FOR SCHOOL!” I heard Park Bom shout from outside. I flinched, my body not wanting to leave my bed. ‘aish early in the morning and she’s already shouting’ I looked at my alarm clock. "

 

 

It’s only nine o’clock, Bom. we won't be late."

 

 

“NINE O’CLOCK?!” I jumped up from my bed. Classes start at 9:30. Damn, I’m gonna be late and I wouldn’t want to start my week with Mr. Kwon shouting at me. I quickly rushed to the bathroom and washed up, changed into my uniform and grabbed my school bag.

 

 

“Omo, Minzy-ah, Good Morning” Mom smiled at me while whipping the dough. Guess she’ll make cookies.

 

 

“Good morning Mom. Bye, got to go” I kissed her cheek and rushed outside where Bom, along with her sister Dara, is waiting for me.

 

 

“Good morning Bommie, Morning Dara” I greeted them but Bom just glared at me.

 

 

“Yeah right, Good Morning Minzy. We’re going to be late because of you” she rolled her eyes but of course, she wasn’t serious. Bom is a very good friend of mine. We’ve been friends since first grade and we are inseparable ever since.

 

 

---

 

 

“The time clock and the Clock of Life” Mr. Xi wrote on the blackboard. This topic is taught to us since First grade, of course we all know what  those two clocks do. And only the nobles, including me, Bom and Dara, can see the Clock of Life for we have the Kamisama’s eye. It can be seen above their heads and it indicates how many years, days and hours they have left. You might think it’s kind of cool but no, It’s irritating. It’s painful that you can see when a certain person will die. I hate it.

 

 

I hate it…

 

 

 

 

“yah Minzy! Wake up!” I opened my eyes and saw Mr. Xi standing in front of my desk. Turns out I fell asleep during his lecture but I can sense that he’s not angry, he still wears that smile of his. He doesn’t get angry anyway, he’s a very nice person.

 

 

“Are you with us now, Minzy?” He asked me calmly. I just nodded. “Now, will you tell me what you think about the two types of clock and the Kamisama’s eye? “

 

 

Thoughts ran down to me like a flood. But there’s only one thing that I want to say.

 

 

“I hate it” I said bluntly. “I think it’s stupid. Don’t you think it’s a torture to us nobles to have the ability to see a person’s remaining time to live? I hate it. I wonder why God even gave us this ability. It's so---”

 

 

 

“Stop now, Minzy. I understand.” I stopped talking. I can hear from Mr. Xi’s voice that he was somewhat disappointed.

 

 

“Take your seat. You may continue to sleep, if you would like to. Since you’re still a kid, you wouldn’t understand the lecture. You need to be mature first.”

 

 

I was insulted at that instant. I may be younger but I’m not immature. He asked me what I think about it and I answered him truthfully. This is prejudice.

 

 

“Sir, May I go to the infirmary? My head hurts.” I asked Mr. Xi. He just nodded and I rushed outside holding my bag. I don't want to attend my classes anymore. I went to my usual place, the botanical garden. It's so peaceful here and it's so pretty.

 

 

I went nearer the mango tree on the center of the garden. The fruits are beginning to ripen and its leaves are pure green. It's like the Tree of Life.

 

 

I always come here when I need time to think or when I want some quiet space.

 

 

But I guess someone’s already here. I can’t see his face clearly since his cap is covering his face. But his hair is blonde. ‘Is he sleeping?’

 

 

I guess he is.

 

 

“Hey Mister” I poked his shoulder but he did not flinch.

 

 

"YAH!” I shouted but he’s still asleep.

 

 

“HEY THIS IS MY SPOT!” I shouted at him and this time, he woke up. He took his cap away from his face and glared at me.

 

 

“AISH" He hissed. He ran his fingers through his hair and glared at me.

 

 

"I usually come here because it’s peaceful here. I guess it isn’t any more Thanks to someone” He said, his eyes are cold, and I must admit I got a bit scared.

 

 

“You can stay here now. I will find a more peaceful place”

 

 

He went down the tree without sparing me another glance.

 

 

 

Tch, cocky bastard” I thought to myself but immediately took it back when I saw his Clock of Life...

 

 

 

He won’t last much longer. His lifespan is near to its end.

 

 

And my heart felt heavier.

 

 

 

Great job Minzy, You were very rude.