Chapter 5

Protection of the Heart

A/N: I've started to work full-time and so I've had hardly any time to write an update. I have been updating every Saturday, but it may vary seeing as my work schedule is extremely tight. I hope you understand! ^^';

 

 

 

I woke up with my arm draped lazily over a warm body. I blinked my eyes, adjusting to the morning sunlight peeking in through my bedroom curtains. I looked over at the figure beside me. He finally looked comfortable; peaceful.

 

I gently lifted my arm away and sat up. I had been planning on trying to get out quietly, but as soon as I slid off the bed the boy woke up.

 

He shot up, his gaze searching his surroundings wildly. His bewilderment disappeared as soon as his eyes fell on me.

 

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to wake you,” I told him softly as I made my way to his side of the bed. I sat down beside him.

 

It's okay,” he smiled weakly. “I usually get up at this time anyways. I didn't mean to look scared, I just couldn't remember where I was for a moment.”


I desperately wanted to pull him into my embrace, but decided against it. Now was not the time to fulfil my desires when he was still recovering from yesterday's events.

 

You're safe here,” I reassured him. “I won't ever let those men hurt you.”

 

Thank you, Fukuda-san.” He relaxed at the words and I stood up, offering a hand. He gratefully took it and I helped him out of bed.

 

Is there anything in particular you would like for breakfast?” I asked him.

 

Anything is fine with me,” Natsuki told me as we walked into the living room.

 

How about a Western style breakfast? Have you ever had it before?” I looked over, waiting for his response, and I instantly regretted my question. I realized by his hurt expression that it was a touchy subject. I assumed it had something to do with his parents.

 

Yes,” he finally spoke up. “My parents and I used to eat it all the time when we lived in Canada.”


Lived in Canada? I hadn't even been outside of the city much-less out of the country! I wanted to ask him, but I feared he'd break if I continued to press further. “You don't have to tell me, Natsuki. I understand it's hard to talk about.”

 

No, it's fine.” He shot me a bright smile, but I could tell it was forced. “I was born in Japan, but when I was six-years-old my father was offered a job in North America. We lived there, together, for almost twelve years. It was decided that we'd move back, because...” He trailed off. His head hung as if the memories were too painful to continue.

 

I was instantly at his side. My arm slid around his shoulders and I pulled him in. “It's okay,” I told him.

 

I felt him nod. “We moved back because I wanted to attend university here. I could have went to university in Canada, but I didn't want to... I wanted to move back. It's my fault... I wanted to go out with my friends instead of stay home. I wanted to try the shortcut through the alley. The reason they're gone...it's because of me.”


His body began to shake as he started sobbing. “Shh,” I hushed him as I held onto him. It felt almost right despite the reason. “You are not at fault. Not at all.”


While telling him this, I couldn't help but feel guilty. While he was blaming himself, I was secretly battling my own guilt. I felt that if I had made sure the men were properly taken care of or had even offered to drive Natsuki home instead of avoid the school, I could have prevented the situation altogether.

 

Don't blame yourself at all,” I said. “You were simply at the wrong place at the wrong time.”

 

He pulled away from my embrace to look at me. Tears streaked his face and I traced my thumb along his cheeks, wiping them away. My eyes were locked onto his and I had the sudden urge to close the gap between us, but like before, I decided against it. Instead, I smiled down at him and pulled away completely.


“I'll make breakfast now if you're still hungry. You can relax on the sofa.”


I was about to suggest watching TV, but I realized that there would probably be a lot of coverage about his parents' murder. It was rare for such incidences to occur and the event would definitely be plastered on every channel.

 

You have been too kind to me, Fukuda-san.” Natsuki plopped himself on the couch, his head resting on the armrest. “If you don't mind, I would like the Western breakfast.”

 

 

I looked over at him from the kitchen. The counter separated the living room and the kitchen. I began cooking, enjoying the greasy smell emanating from the sausages. I scooped up the meat and neatly placed them on two plates, followed by scrambled eggs and toast.


“What do you prefer to drink?” I asked him.


He looked up from the book he was reading. “I like milk in the mornings.” I smiled at his answer. He seemed almost too innocent sometimes.

 

I poured the white liquid into a glass and poured myself a cup of coffee. I slid the meal onto the table and called Natsuki over.


He sat down, placing the book he'd been reading on the table.

 

Where did you find that?” I began stuffing my mouth with a piece of sausage.


“Under your coffee table,” he replied as he stuffed his own mouth with eggs. He swallowed his food before speaking again. “I'm sorry to read it without permission, I was curious.”


“It's fine,” I waved him off. “Make yourself at home. It's your place too after all.”


“Is there anything you would like me to do? I can get a job and help pay for ren-”


I cut him short. “Nah, just focus on your school. I have enough money to pay for this place.”


He shuffled uncomfortably. “Okay, but I would like to do something after all you have done for me.
I was about to decline, but if it made him feel better then it would be best to allow him. He seemed he wouldn't quit unless he helped in someway.

 

“Alright. I'll give you money and you can buy groceries whenever we need to. You can also help cook once in awhile.”


He brightened and nodded eagerly. “I can go after class on Friday!”


I smiled as his attitude seemed to lighten. “That's fine. Speaking of which, don't you have class today?”


“Yes.” He looked at the clock hanging in the kitchen. “I should leave now.”


“Good,” I told him. “I'll drive you. And later we can buy you some more clothes. You can't wear the same outfit everyday. I can give you some of my smaller clothes right now.”

 

I didn't wait for his protest as I got up from the table and disappeared into my room. It took awhile to find clothes that would fit him, but eventually I found something. “You can finish eating and then wash up and change.”

 

 

It didn't take him long to get ready, and soon he was gathering his things. “Do you mind if I take this book to read?” He held up the book he had been reading earlier.


“Sure, I don't mind.”


He smiled and stuffed it in his bag. He seemed a little happier now and I was grateful. I didn't like seeing him so hurt.

 

I grabbed my car keys from the table and we headed outside. “What are you studying?” I asked as I started the engine.


He buckled his seat-belt and looked over at me while answering. “Literature. I love to write and I love reading.”

 

I smiled as I pulled out of the parking lot and began driving towards the school. His answer didn't surprise me. He seemed like a smart kid and he took an interest in the book. I had assumed he was studying something like that.

 

 

The ride was quiet as I pulled up to the university. “How long are your classes? I'll pick you up when they're finished.”


“I get out around five o'clock,” he said as he opened the car door. He was about to step out when I reached out and grabbed his arm. He turned to look at me with confusion.

 

Do you have a cell phone?” He dug in his pocket and pulled out his phone and held it out to me.
I began fiddling with his mobile and handed it back to him after a few moments. “I programmed my number into your phone. You can call me whenever you need to. If you need help, I'll be there.”


He smiled gratefully as he slipped his phone back into his pocket. He opened his mouth as if he were going to speak when a sudden shriek made him turn his head.

 

Natsu-chan!”

 

A girl and two other boys surrounded Natsuki as he stepped out of my car. I watched them and realized they were the people I had seen him with previously.

 

Emiko,” the boy smiled as the girl hooked onto him. My throat tightened. “We heard about everything! I'm so sorry, Natsu-chan!” She cried as she buried her face in his arm.

 

The boy continued to smile, but once again I could tell it was forced. “I'm okay, really.”


“You're so strong, Natsu-chan!” She let go of his arm only to latch onto his waist.

 

Come on,” one of the other boys spoke up. “We need to get to class.”


Natsuki seemed to remember me, because he turned around. “Thank you, Fukuda-san. I will wait here later.”


I smiled and waved good-bye as he shut the door. He began to head towards the school with his friends. I rolled down the window in time to catch the girl ask who I was. I didn't hear him explain as they grew farther away.


I rolled up the window with a sigh, my hands tightening on the steering wheel as I fought off my anger. I wasn't jealous. At least, I would never admit it to myself. I should have remembered that he had a girlfriend. It wasn't hard to miss the pretty girl that always attached herself to him. I swallowed hard as I gathered myself together and drove away from the school. I was beginning to question whether or not housing him was a good idea after all.