Chapter 2

Protection of the Heart

The police car stopped outside of my apartment.

 

“Thanks guys,” I said as they opened the back doors, letting Natsuki and I out.

 

“You really don't have to do this,” he insisted.

 

The entire ride Natsuki had continued to protest my invitation of allowing him to stay at my place. Eventually one of the officers informed him when I set my mind on something it doesn't change. He was definitely right.

 

“It's absolutely fine,” I told him as we made our way into the building and up to my apartment. I unlocked the door and stepped to the side to allow Natsuki in first. He looked around, seeming to be curious.

 

I didn't consider myself extremely wealthy, but with the money I made from the agency I wasn't middle class either. My apartment was fairly large. Pushed against the windows, that overlooked the city, sat a black sofa and a flat screen television. Off to the left side was the kitchen, it was small, but I was the only one using it so it was never crowded. On the right end was a door that led to my bedroom.

 

I pointed to the door. “You can take my room for tonight. I can sleep on the couch.”

 


I opened my bedroom door and came out a few seconds later with a blanket.

 

The boy remained silent as I laid the blanket down on the couch for myself. The silence was uncomfortable so I looked over at him. “Are you okay?”

 

He seemed to blink himself out of a daze and nodded in response. “I'm fine. If you don't mind, I would rather take the couch. I am already imposing.”

 


I reluctantly agreed and watched him crawl under the covers. “Good night, Fukuda-san. Thank you.”

 


I smiled as he closed his eyes. It didn't take him very long to fall asleep. I watched him in his peaceful slumber until I felt myself getting tired. I didn't even change as I flopped onto my bed. Sleep hit my quickly.

 

 

I opened my eyes slowly, wondering why I could smell food. Swinging my feet off of my bed, I got up and opened my bedroom door. I was surprised to see Natsuki busy in the kitchen. He looked up just as I closed my door.

 


“Good morning,” he smiled cheerfully.

 


“Good morning,” I answered with confusion.

 

“I wanted to cook you breakfast. It's the least I could do for you having to save me and allow me to sleep here.” He brought a tray to the coffee table and gestured for me to sit on the couch.

 

“Thank you.” I sat down on the couch and look at the meal and my stomach growled, begging to be fed. “I'll eat well,” I smiled and began to eat.

 

Natsuki seemed pleased with my response and grabbed a tray for himself.

 

 

After eating, Natsuki cleaned up as well. I had offered to help, but he shook it off. He dried off the last bowl and placed it in the cupboard. “Thank you once more for all that you have done, Fukuda-san,” he bowed. “My classes start soon, so I have to go.”

 


“I'll drive you,” I said as I began to stand up.

 

“No, that's alright. My university isn't too far from here. I'll be fine,” he insisted with a polite smile. He headed to the door and bowed once more before leaving.

 

I couldn't help but feel disappointed. I didn't know anything about the kid apart from his name and that he was a student. I wanted to know more, but he had disappeared. My stomach sunk as I realized that I would probably never see him again.

 

I was about to continue pitying myself when my mobile rang. I cursed as it startled me. Picking it up, I was surprised to hear it was Ishada. I then remembered her jacket and looked over to see it hung over the sofa.

 

“Where did you go last night? Are you okay?” She questioned. “Did something happen?”

 


“A boy was attacked by a couple of thugs, but he's alright. I let him stay at my house last night. I'll bring your jacket over in an hour or so.” I picked up her jacket, grabbed my car keys, and disappeared out the door.

 

 

I slid into my car and made my way to Ishada's apartment. I reached her door and rang the buzzer. “Let me in, Ishada. I have your jacket.”

 


I heard a squeal and her door flew open. She flew at me and I instinctively flinched, only to realize she hadn't flung herself at me. Instead, she snatched the jacket from her hands and cradled it to her chest.

 

“Thank you, Ryou-chan~!” She grinned from ear to ear.

 

I rolled my eyes. “The alcohol still affecting you from last night?”

 


“Tsk, yeah right. I'm just glad you brought back this. It's my favourite jacket you know.” She turned and entered her apartment. I followed her inside.

“Want anything? Coffee? Tea?”


“Tea, please,” I told her as I flopped down on her sofa.

 

She began preparing the beverage and looked over at me. “Why do you look so miserable? I'm sure the boy wasn't that annoying.”

 


I looked up with surprise. “Oh, no. He wasn't a problem at all. I'm just worried about those men.”

 


“Don't be,” she said as she waited for the tea. “What happened anyways?”

 


I explained to her why I hadn't come back with her jacket. She seemed interested in the story. “So the kid's alright?”

 


“Yeah,” I looked up as she brought over the tea. I began to slowly relaxed as I drank the warm beverage. “He left this morning to go to school.”

 


“Is he in high school?”

 


“Nah, he's a university student. He goes to the university near my apartment,” I said as I took another drink.

 


“Maybe you should drive by; see if he's okay,” she said.

 

Her suggestion surprised me. I hadn't thought of that. It was something I could do. There was also I chance I might catch him walking or something.

 

“Great idea, Ishada.” I stood up and placed my empty cup in the sink. “I'll do it right now.”

 


“I wasn't saying ri-”

 


I cut her off as I told her good-bye and jogged out of her apartment. I nearly ran out of the elevator and to my car. As soon as I started the engine I was off. I don't know what I was so excited for, but I just wanted to get to the school.

 

 

It was a shorter drive than I had expected as I spotted the university campus. I slowed my speed down as I searched up and down for the brown-haired boy. I felt lucky when I found his mop of hair among the same group of friends I had seen him with at the restaurant. I was about to roll down my window and call out to him when the lucky feeling dissolved as I realized that the same clingy girl had attached herself to his arm again. Once more, he didn't seem bothered. He continued to smile cheerfully. Most likely his girlfriend.

 

My hands tightened on the wheel and I stepped on the gas pedal, speeding away as fast as I could. I only slowed when I could no longer see the school out of my rear-view mirror. I pulled over in front of my apartment building and sat there for what seemed like an eternity.

 

I closed my eyes and started to inhale and exhale slowly, trying to contain my temper. I didn't understand why I was so bothered by them, but I was.

 

I finally stepped out of the car and headed up to my apartment.

 

As soon as I entered my room I decided I would stop all the silly thoughts. I didn't know anything about the boy. I had no reason to feel so upset. As I dropped down on my couch I silently vowed that I would not be bothered with him anymore. I would continue with my life as if it all hadn't happened.