Chapter 4

Protection of the Heart

Fukuda-san.” I heard the voice of a man nearby. My head pounded and I felt weak. That was then that I remembered what had happened. I slowly opened my eyes to see Ishada's worried gaze looking down at me. A paramedic sat nearby, he didn't look too concerned. I was sitting in the back of an ambulance, the door was wide open to allow the fresh air, but my nose stung with the acrid smell of smoke. The ambulance was pointed away from the house, but I could hear the calls of anxious people around us.

 

Ryou-kun!” Ishada cried with relief as I felt her arms wrap around my neck. I coughed and she realized she had been choking me and released her grip. “Sorry,” she apologized. “The paramedic said you just fainted. You will be fine with rest.”


I shook my head, I didn't care about that. “Sakurai?”


Ishada avoided eye contact as she shuffled uncomfortably. “R-Ryou-kun...they did the best they could. The men set the house on fire so that it was completely engulfed in minutes. One of the firefighters believed they poured flammables around the house.”


“The men escaped and the couple didn't?” I asked with narrowed eyes.

 

She nodded without saying a word.


“How long have I been out?” I demanded, my voice firm.

 

Only fifteen minutes,” Ishada looked at me with surprise.

 

Is it...is it completely gone?” I managed to say. I looked down, feeling like a weight had been put on my shoulders.

 

We couldn't save them. I'm sorry,” Ishada apologized and stepped down from the ambulance. I slammed my fist down on the floor of the vehicle.


“Fukuda-san, try to relax. Don't let yourself become stressed,” the paramedic advised me but I slid off of the ambulance and began to search for Ishada.

 

 

I heard a sharp cry and spun around to see someone flinging themselves over the barriers that held back the public, and sprint towards the smouldering home.

 

Stop him!” Someone yelled and I felt myself running after the person instinctively. When I was close enough I leaped, wrapping my arms around the person and letting both of us tumble onto the ground. I winced as I allowed myself to break the impact. I looked up with wide eyes when I saw that it wasn't just anyone on top of me. It was the boy; Natsuki. It was rather stupid of me to think it could have been anyone else. After all, the house was his and the people killed were his parents.

 

He wasn't looking at me. He was locked on the smoky building. Tears welled in his eyes and he struggled to get free from my hold.

 

“Let go,” he cried as he tried pulling away. I held on tighter.

 

Let go!” He cried again, trying to free himself.

 

No!” I used all of my strength to hold him as well as get us both to his feet. “There's nothing you can do. We tried to save your house and your parents.”


The boy went limp in my arms, registering the new information. He sank to his knees and I bent down, continuing to hold him in case he decided to run again. “It's gone. It's all gone.”


I could feel the soft patter as tears hit my jacket. I pulled the boy closer, letting him feel the warmth of my chest. He began sobbing quietly, his eyes were locked onto nothing, his face blank. My heart ached.

 

 

After Natsuki had settled down, Ishada had taken him to the ambulance to get himself checked out by the paramedics. I followed to keep an eye on him.

 

Well,” the paramedic spoke up as soon as he had finished looking the boy over. “He's just in shock, anyone would be after such events. He should be fine after some rest.”


“Natsuki,” Ishada spoke softly, as if she were speaking to a small child and not a university student. “Do you have anywhere to go? A relative perhaps?”


He only shook his head. “After we moved, my grandparents refused to talk to us. My parents were also the only children in their families.”


Ishada and I looked at each other. No words were needed to know what we were thinking. This kid had nowhere else to go.

 

Maybe you can end up using a dorm at the university,” Ishada suggested. “Ryouta-kun, make a call to the chief and ask him if the agency would be able to help with the costs.”


I nodded in response and was about to call my boss in private when I felt tugging on my coat. I looked back to see Natsuki holding onto my sleeve with anxious eyes. “Please don't leave me,” he whimpered. “You're the only one I know. I don't want you to disappear too.”


At that moment it had felt as if someone had grabbed a hold of my heart and clenched it in their fist. It ached to see him so upset. I smiled sympathetically and sat down beside him.

 

I promise I won't leave you. I just need to speak to Ishada-san. We will just be on the other side of the ambulance, okay?” I was speaking gently, afraid that he'd break down again.

 

Ishada offered him a warming smile and he reluctantly nodded.

 

I pulled Ishada over to the side of the vehicle and spoke quietly. “I want him to stay with me.”


Her eyes widened with shock. “You never allow anyone in your house.”


“I know,” I hissed with irritation. “That was before. Before these circumstances. This kid has stayed the night before, the night he was attacked. I think he feels safe with me. Besides, the men are probably after him and they don't know where I live. He's safer at my apartment anyways.”


Ishada seemed to agree as she nodded. “We'll have to discuss this with the chief.”

 

Fine,” I said and walked back around the ambulance. The boy was sitting with his knees pulled to his chest. I slipped my jacket off and wrapped it around his shoulders like I had done the first night we met. He looked up, seeming grateful that I was back.

 

Ishada came over, a smile on her face. “Chief said it was alright.”


I felt the weight slowly begin to chip away, but I still couldn't help but feel like I was the cause of this.

 

Alright with what?” Natsuki asked.

 

Well, Fukuda-san has agreed to house you. If the men that did this are searching for you, it will be safer under protection. Ryouta is one of the best agents I know!” She gave him a thumbs up.

 

Natsuki let his gaze linger on Ishada and than rested them on me. “I feel better being with Fukuda-san,” he told us weakly.


I offered him a smile. “C'mon, kid. Let's get you to the apartment. You're in desperate need of a warm bath and a long rest.”


He nodded as he stepped down from the back of the ambulance and allowed me to lead him to the car.


“Are you coming, Ishada?” I called over my shoulder as I closed the passenger door.

 

Nah,” she shook her head. “I'll catch a ride with one of the officers. You just take the kid back. Poor thing.”

 

Alright.” I ducked into my car and slammed the door. I placed the key in the ignition and the car roared to life. I looked over at the boy, but he was staring blankly out the window. Once again, I felt my heart ache. No one should have to go through that. Ever.

 

I stifled a sigh as I pulled out of the crime scene and headed down the busy road.

 

 

I reached the apartment fairly quickly despite the increased activity with the news of today's events. I just wanted to boy to be in a safe environment. I wanted to protect him. And what I wanted even more was to hold him in my arms and tell him everything would be alright.

 

I didn't make a move though. Instead, I waited for him to open the door before opening mine.

 

We headed up to my apartment and I made sure to check my surroundings before opening my apartment door. I swung the door open and scanned the area. Everything seemed normally. I relaxed and gestured for the boy to come inside. His face was emotionless as he stepped inside.

 

Follow me,” I told him as I entered my room and flicked on the lights. I grabbed some clothing from my closet and held it out to him. He took it without showing any expression and disappeared into the bathroom. I could hear the water running and I relaxed some. He would feel a little better after a hot bath. I decided to wait for him on the couch.

 

 

I didn't know how long I had been out, but I opened my tired eyes to see the boy sitting on the floor, his back against the sofa. “Hey,” I called to him softly. “Are you okay? You can sleep in my room.”


He didn't look at me; just shook his head. “I don't want to be alone.”

 

Come here,” I said as I swung my legs off of the couch and grabbed his hand. I pulled him towards my room and climbed on my bed. He clambered up after me, without much choice, and just looked at me blankly.


“Lay down and rest,” I advised him. “I promise I won't leave you. Ever.” My words were strong, but I meant them. I wouldn't leave him. I didn't want to.

 

Natsuki's shoulders relaxed and his head hit the pillow. I pulled my blankets over him. I watched as he slowly shut his eyes. I leaned against the wall, my legs spread out in front of me. I continued to watch him until his breathing slowed and he was asleep. I felt relieved that he was able to rest. I felt my heavy eyelids begin to close and soon I was sliding down the wall and laying comfortably on my bed beside the boy. The last moments I remembered before drifting off was wrapping my arms around his small body and pulling him closer.