3/3

Between the pages

6 weeks later

 

Kyungsoo was currently dusting off the shelves in the front section and Jongin was lazily leaning on the counter to watch the short male work. “I thought that maybe we could go swimming on the weekend if you want to.” Jongin suggested. Kyungsoo stopped in his tracks and thought for a good while till he finally nodded, making the younger male grin widely. Suddenly the kind old man appeared from his little room with a big bag in his hands. “You two can keep an eye on the store while I’m going to the bank, right? I’ll be back in about half an hour. “The two boys nodded in unison. “Sure, sir!” The man smiled and left. Comfortable silence fell over them until Jongin again spoke quietly. “I won’t be able to come here tomorrow. Chanyeol is celebrating his 18th birthday and he wants me to come.” Kyungsoo turned around and looked at the taller one with that big brown eyes of his. “But the day after tomorrow I will be back again, I promise!”  Jongin hurriedly added.

 

Kyungsoo smiled at him, signaling him that it was totally okay. Jongin returned the young helpers smile and began fiddling with his wristband like he had done for the past 15 minutes, letting the older one finish his work. Shortly after the old man came back, the clock 5 pm which meant the end of the working day for Kyungsoo. The smaller boy packed his things quickly as Jongin was already waiting for him outside in the rain. At the end of the alley they bid their goodbyes and separated each walking down a different street to reach their home. They would send each other messages until they finally fell asleep as they always did since the day they met in that small bookstore. None of them had even the slightest clue that he wasn’t the only one who was dreaming of someone very special and dear to him. Not knowing that they were dreaming of each other.

 


 

Two days later Kyungsoo was sitting in the back section alone, totally absorbed by a book. So far today was an unusually silent day so he had a bit free time. The little bell rung and he could hear the door closing and fast steps coming near him. He closed his precious book and turned around just in time to see Jongin standing in the doorway with a bouquet of red roses. Kyungsoos eyes widened at the sight of the flowers in the other boys hands. Jongin slowly made his way towards Kyungsoo his eyes never leaving the other ones. “Here these are for you hyung. Because I wasn’t able to come yesterday.” Kyungsoo slowly stood up and carefully took the roses from the other boy. “Jongin! You shouldn’t have bought them! They are far too expensive!” Jongin cheekily scratched his neck while looking at the small band aids on his hands, “Well actually…” Kyungsoos look traveled down to Jongins wounded hands gasping slightly.

 

“Oh god, you picked them by yourself? Look at your hands!” Kyungsoo placed the roses carefully down on the table behind him and lend Jongin by his elbow to the little bench where the younger sat down beside a very worried Kyungsoo. The smaller male inspected the others hands carefully and after he decided that the scratches weren’t that bad he lightly kissed both backs of Jongins hands. The younger blushed slightly, enjoying the feeling of Kyungsoos soft lips on his skin. The taller one never felt this way towards another person, but with Kyungsoo everything was different. He made his heart flutter every time he looked at him and he let the butterflies in Jongins stomach go wild whenever he touched or hugged him. Deep down inside Jongin wished for nothing more than that the other would somehow feel the same. But he also knew that none of his wishes have ever become true.

 

“You are so silly! Injuring yourself just for a bunch of flowers.” Kyungsoo giggled flustered while standing up again. “Let’s look trough the books, shall we?” Jongin nodded smiling and joined Kyungsoo who was already standing in front of the big shelve on the far left. After a couple minutes of silence Jongin just couldn’t handle it anymore. He learned to love Kyungsoo over this few weeks just like learned to love the small bookstore in no time. No, he loved Kyungsoo even more, more than all the books he ever read. He just had to tell him. He was sure it would break his heart if the other one wouldn’t feel the same but at least he had done anything he could. If he just was like one of the heroes in those books.

 

“Hyung, do you remember that I once told you that this bookstore and all the books where my escape from reality? I…I found a new escape. An escape no one could ever grasp how much I love it.” Jongin continued to look at the books, searching for a story worth reading, while Kyungsoo lowered his hand and looked unsure at Jongin. “Oh? Really? Which one?” Jongin remained silent, making Kyungsoo slightly nervous. The taller male stepped a few centimeters to his right to look at some other books. Books that contained stories of brave men and women, of undying hope in the darkest of times, of love with no boundaries.

 

“You are my escape hyung.” Kyungsoo couldn’t believe his ears. Did Jongin just confess his love to him? Was he dreaming again or was he finally able to show the younger male that he was the most important thing in his life?

 

“Jongin.” It was nothing more than a faint whisper but Jongin none the less heard it. The soft voice of his hyung he loved so much. “Jongin.” Kyungsoo staggered forward and buried his head into Jongins chest while wrapping his arms tightly around the others waist. Jongin pressed his precious Kyungsoo flush against him and leaned his own head on the smaller ones.  “I love you hyung.”

 

 


A/N: So, this is the last chapter for this little fic but don't be sad because there is going to be a small epilogue.