1/3

Between the pages

A brown haired boy buried his hands deep inside his jacket pockets while skipping towards his favorite place in the world ever since middle school. The boy immediately learned to love the little book store down a side alley which was owned by a nice old man. It was his second home, but he himself thought about it as his favorite home. He wasn’t even able to bring up the amount of money for a small little book but the kind old man let him read all the books he wanted to read. He likes the man a lot, just like the little, dim lit book store.

 

The boy reached the store and entered it, a small bell ringing to announce his arrival.  He didn’t have to wait long as the kind man slowly walked out of his little spare room behind the counter. The man softly smiled at the boy and greeted him nicely. After the boy greeted back his excitement suddenly increased. “Ajusshi, did you get the delivery already?” The man smiled and nodded, making the boys radiant smile even wider. “Yes, I got it this morning. My new helper is currently placing them into the shelves. You can go and tell him to give you one.” The boy nodded gratefully and walked around the little corner but was again stopped by the old man. “Oh and Jongin, I ordered some new books you might want to read as well.” The brown haired boy nodded and cracked a wide grin. He turned around and walked towards his little sanctuary.

 

The sound of heavy breathing and rumbling could be heard in the little room in the back of the store. Jongin walked up to the working figure and tapped lightly on the other boys shoulder. The other boy spun around but missed the little stool he stood on with his right feet and lost his balance. The helper let out a short squeal and reached for Jongins shoulders to steady himself. Jongin stumbled a few centimeters back but could hold his own balance just in time to catch the other male. Books were falling down in the process, catching Jongins attention immediately. “Woah, be careful! You dropped the books!” Scared that the taller male might let him fall the smaller one backed up in hurry and got off from the stool.

 

Jongin noticed that the other one was a few centimeters shorter than him, more than he originally thought. The smaller boys’ hair was a beautiful shade of chocolate brown, he was wearing a cute polo shirt with sky blue polka dots and short brown pants. Jongin took his eyes off the other one and kneeled down to collect the fallen books. After he put them gently back onto their estimated place his eyes wandered to the shorter once again. The latters eyes where wide open and Jongin found that expression utterly adorable at this very moment. Jongin knew the others face from somewhere but couldn’t tell where he had seen him before.

 

“I’m sorry.” The smaller ones voice was soft and Jongin found himself enjoying the melodic sound. “You’re Kai. I didn’t expect you here.” Jongins eyes widened a bit at the others words. He knew him and if he knows him as Kai, he must be from school. “Just give me the book!” His words were much harsher than he wanted them to be so he added a quiet “Please.” The other boy simply nodded and handed him one of the new books. He took it, bowed a little bit and walked towards his favorite place in the store. Well, actually that was his favorite place in the whole world. A dimly lit corner only illuminated by an old table lamp. His home.

 

He sat down with a silent huff, placing his backpack carefully beside him. He was really excited for the new book, he had waited for aged to be able to read it. Once he found a comfortable position he opened the book in the middle, closed his eyes and inhaled the scent of the freshly printed masterpiece in his hands. After a few seconds of harmony and peace he felt that something was off. He could feel someones stare lingering at him. He slowly opened his eyes, lowered the book and looked right into the other boys’ big eyes. Said boy widened his orbs and turned around fast just to stare at one of the shelves. A little smile formed on Jongins lips but he brought his full attention back to his beloved book.

 

The room was wrapped up in silence, only the rumbling of the books was heard again. Because of some odd reason Jongin just couldn’t figure out he wasn´t able to concentrate on his book. He caught himself staring at the other male for a few times. Something about this guy made Jongin curious. He put the book carefully down and cleared his throat, making the other turn around. Jongin patted the seat beside him, signaling the other to sit there. The latter hesitantly made his short way to Jongin, sitting down silently and staring at his lap shyly.

 

“What’s your name?” The petite boy looked up and stared nervous at Jongin. He knew who Kai was, he also knew that the other one was extremely popular and one of the Kingkas in their school. “K-Kyungsoo.” He could have slapped himself for stuttering in front of the other but his mere present made him utterly nervous. “Kyungsoo.” Jongin liked the way the name rolled off of his tongue. He also liked how the boy blushed shyly.  “W-why are you talking to me?” Kyungsoo asked still blushing. Jongin thought about it for a good moment before he answered carefully. “Do you like books?” Kyungsoo was a bit taken aback by the sudden question but nodded lightly. “I think I like you. I like people who like books.” Kyungsoo stared at the latter in shock. Suddenly the thought that the other one might not knew him invaded his mind. 

 

The two fell in short silence till Kyungsoo broke it. “Did you like the book so far?” Jongin smiled at him and nodded his head cutely, making the other blush once more. “I’m glad you like it.” He said and both fell in silence again. Jongin placed his head on this palm and stared at Kyungsoo. “How old are you?”

 

Kyungsoo felt uncomfortable under the stare but managed to answer him without embarrassing him any further. “I’m 18 and you?” Jongins eyes widened in mild shock. “Hyung, you look so young! I thought you were younger than me. I just turned 17 a month ago.” Kyungsoo noticed that the dim light made Jongins eyes shine even more and his skin beautifully soft looking. “Now I know where I know you from. We are in the same grade right?” Kyungsoo simply nodded and smiled a little at him. “Kai, do you come here often?” Jongin smiled lightly and shifted nervously to find another comfortable position to sit. “Yes, every day. Can you please not tell others that I come here?” Kyungsoo felt somehow disappointed. Why was the other making this a secret? Reading and liking books is nothing bad. Kyungsoo nodded anyways, promising the other to not tell anyone about it.

 

“Kai? You are not really that mean, right? You are not the heartless and cold guy from school, are you?” It was more of a statement than a real question. Kyungsoo played with his fingers while waiting for Jongin to say something. “Jongin.” The whisper was quiet but just loud enough for Kyungsoo to hear. The older one was confused. What’s with this name? “Excuse me?”

 

Jongin looked directly into Kyungsoos round eyes, making him blush and shifting under his stare uncomfortably. “My name is Jongin. Please stop calling me Kai.” Kyungsoo crooked an eyebrow trying to understand what the other just said to him. After a few seconds he began to smile as wide as he could. “Jongin!”  The two boys broke out in laughing without any particular reason. In that small moment they both were very glad that Kyungsoo started to work in the little book store today.