2/3

Between the pages

The next day, Jongin was practically running to the book store. He just couldn’t stop thinking about the beautiful helper in the book store. He liked Kyungsoo because the latter wanted to get to know Jongin and not Kai. Jongin tried to tell himself he was so excited because he was able to finish the book but he knew that he just wanted to see Kyungsoo very badly. He had this immense urge to get to know everything about the older boy.

 

As he reached the entrance of the store he stormed in and speed walked directly into the back room, greeting the old man shortly. Jongin smiled widely as he noticed Kyungsoo already sitting in the corner, waiting for him. “Kyungsoo!”  Jongin voiced out, walked towards the table and placed himself on the little bench. Kyungsoo smiled sweetly while greeting him. “Hey Jongin, how are you? How was your day?” The younger boy chuckled at the others cuteness and made himself comfortable before answering. “I’m fine hyung. School was boring as always. How about you? You look a bit tired.” Kyungsoo shook his head. “I’m fine Jongin. We just had an exam today, I had to study and it got a little bit late but I’m good.” Kyungsoo placed his hand smiling on Jongins and squeezed it lightly.

 

Jongins eyes widened a good amount and he could swear he can practically feel the blush creeping up his cheeks and hear his inner fangirl screaming. Kyungsoos hand felt so warm and incredibly soft on his skin so he turned his own hand around and locked their fingers tight. Jongin looked up and smiled at Kyungsoos red cheeks. The older male smiled back and got up, without breaking their hands apart and signaled Jongin to make space for him to sit beside him. After a short silence and sitting beside each other Jongin began to speak. “Hyung, what’s your favorite book?” And with Jongins question they engrossed themselves in a very long conversation about their favorite things, Jongin told Kyungsoo he loved dancing and want to become a dance instructor one day, things they didn’t like or just about school and everyday life.

 

Jongin never liked talking but he just badly wanted to tell Kyungsoo every single thing about him. He told the older that the kind old man let him read all books he wanted because he couldn’t bring the money up.  He told him that he hated the fact he had to make up an act in school and he also told him about his broken family. “My father left us when I was 7. My mother started working day and night to be able to buy us food. Since I’m a single child I was often alone at home and felt lonely. I feel lonely every time I go home. That’s also why I always come here to let myself escape from the outside world. Even if it´s just for a few hours. Here I can be anyone I want to be. Don´t get me wrong, my mother is a really good and kind person and I love her with all my heart but it just hurts me to see her broken like this. But somehow we manage to keep everything up and grew strong over the past few years. Yeah, that’s it. But enough of me, tell me about you hyung. How is your family like?”

 

Kyungsoo cleared his throat and tightened his grip on their still intertwined hands. “Oh we are pretty lame actually. I live with my parents, my older brother Minseok and his boyfriend Jongdae and our dog Monggu.” Jongin stared at Kyungsoo in surprise. “Your parents let your brothers’ boyfriend live with you? They accept that?” Kyungsoo chuckled. “It was their idea.”  Jongins face lit up and he looked at the older male curiously. “Please tell me more about your family hyung.”

Kyungsoo cleared his throat once again. “Well Minseok hyung is 21 and Jongdae hyung is 19. They are together since almost 4 years now and my parents really love Jongdae. About a year ago Jongdae hyungs parents found out that he was gay and in a relationship so they simply threw him out. Ever since then he’s living with us. It even was my parents´ idea that he should live with us and because they wouldn’t take any money from him, Jongdae hyung always helps at home with everything. Sometimes I even have the feeling he’s their favorite among us.” Kyungsoo laughed wholeheartedly. In that moment Jongin was totally mesmerized by the beautiful sound of Kyungsoos melodic laugh. 

 

“I would really like to meet them someday. They sound amazing!” Jongin looked hopefully and exited at the older male. “You can come with me today if you want. You can eat dinner with us. Of course only when you have nothing else to do.”  Jongins jaw dropped slightly and he immediately shook his head. “Hyung, I can’t! I don’t want to be a bother to you and your family!” Kyungsoo laughed again. “Trust me, you won’t bother us at all. I would be happy if you come with me.”

 


 

 

“Hyung, are you sure? I can still go back home!” Kyungsoo shook his head, pulled out the key from his pockets and opened the door. He stepped inside and made space for the other to come in. “I’m home and I brought a friend with me!” They took off their shoes, jackets and backpacks and made their way into the families´ kitchen.  A small woman was standing on the kitchen counter, preparing delicious smelling food. “Mom?” Kyungsoo asked, trying to get his mothers attention. She turned around and smiled at her son and his company. “That’s Jongin. He’s a friend I met at the bookstore I work at.” His mother suddenly started smirking at her son, walking slowly towards the pair. “You mean friend like in boyfriend, right?” Kyungsoo was about to plead his mother to stop talking but his father, who just happened to walk into the kitchen, was faster.  “Kyunglim, stop embarrassing our son in front of his new friend.”

 

Kyungsoo thanked his father in his mind and bowed lightly excusing them and walked towards his room. “Sorry for the mess!” Kyungsoo said embarrassed while picking up a pair of jeans from the floor. Despite the little chaos Jongin really liked Kyungsoos room because just it was so Kyungsoo. There were piles of books everywhere and a whole armada of stuffed animals on the others bed. “And sorry for my parents, don´t take them too serious. They are always like this.” Jongin genuinely smiled and sat down on the comfortable bed in the middle of the cozy room. “I like them and your room. It’s perfect.” Kyungsoo blushed a little and sat down beside Jongin. “Yes, they are the best. They accept everyone the way they are. I´m very thankful for that.“  Kyungsoo smiled lost in thoughts while looking at his slim fingers.  Jongin nodded happily but went serious after a few seconds. “Thank you hyung.” Kyungsoo looked up to Jongin and frowned in confusion. “Why are you thanking me?”

 

“Thank you for liking me. The real me. Jongin and not Kai. And for making me feel so much better. Even though I only know you since yesterday it feels like I already have known you for ages.” Kyungsoo smiled warmly at the younger one and put his hands around Jongins waist, resting his head on the others shoulder. “You’re welcome, Jongin. That’s what friends are for. And the real you is definitely the much better you.” Jongin wrapped his arms around the older ones petit frame, a slight disappointed feeling welling up in his chest but nodded anyways. “Sure hyung.” Only friends.

 

A little knock on the door caught their attention causing them to separate. The head of a, for Jongin unknown, person peaked inside the room. “Food is ready! Food!” As fast as it came the head disappeared again from Jongins sight and Kyungsoo stood up laughing while shaking his head. “That was Jongdae hyung.” Jongin nodded, standing up also and followed the older male out of his room towards the dining room where the rest of the family was already gathered. As they got there they sat down and watched Jongdae and Minseok across them. Jongin assumed that the boy with the caramel hair and the same squishy cheeks as Kyungsoos was his older brother, which turned out to be right. “ChenChen~ Can you please bring me something to drink?” Jongin was a little irritated by the sudden name change but shrugged it off none the less. Minseok collected a knock on his head from his laughing boyfriend. “You can get it yourself, you lazy !”

 

After Minseok came back with drinks they began to eat and chatter. “Jongin, tell us about yourself!” The addressed looked up from his plate and shifted a bit uncomfortable, glancing at his friend beside him. “My name is Kim Jongin, I’m 17 and I go to the same school as Kyungsoo. We met at the bookstore Kyungsoo works in.” The parents nodded, Kyungsoos mother was even slightly smirking at Jongin and Minseok tried to catch Jongins attention with his frantically waving hands. “I’m Minseok, Kyungsoos older and much more awesome brother and that’s Jongdae, my extremely hot boyfriend.” Jongin tried to suppress a hysterical laughter and nodded his head. “Kyungsoo already told me.” Minseok crooked both of his eyebrows and looked questioningly at his little brother. “You did? But why didn’t you tell me you had a boyfriend? You know you can always talk to me about something like that, right? Especially because it´s your first real relationship. Hyung’s always there for you dongsengie.” Jongin blushed madly at the older ones words although not quiet as much as Kyungsoo did. “Stop talking nonsense hyung! He’s not my boyfriend!”

 

“Yet.” The happy couple said in unison, high-fiving each other afterwards. “Kids, leave them alone. If Kyungsoo says Jongin is only a friend than it is. He will tell us if they would be together right? Just eat your food!” Kyungsoos father said, sending an apologetic look to Jongin and his youngest son and continued to eat his food. The couple was whispering to each other some last words before they also started to devour their food again.  Kyungsoo lowered his head in a desperate attempt to hide his obvious blush. Jongin stared at the other males’ side profile for a few seconds before directing his whole attention to his food again. Kyunglim on the other hand just snickered knowingly at the awkward behavior of her son and his new friend.

 

The group fell in a comfortable silence after that. As the evening moved onward a light and happy atmosphere with happy laughs and nice conversations took over the small dining room.

 

 Jongin really liked the family.

 


A/N: please don't be a silent reader. I would really want to know what you think about it.