Four.

The Red Umbrella

“I don't want to be your fake boyfriend.” Jeongguk came out honestly, even if he was going lose his chance with a girl like her.

 

Jaehwa held the umbrella over both of their heads. She had to hold it higher since Jeongguk was obviously taller than her. Jaehwa stared at Jeongguk before smiling, “Okay.”

 

“Okay?” Jeongguk seemed suspicious of her answer. The way she looked and said it was suspicious to him in every way.

 

Jaehwa nodded, “Okay. I mean it's not my choice right. Although I do agree that having a fake boyfriend would be fun but what's the point if the other party doesn't want it to be fun. That person would just be a party pooper and I don't like party poopers.” Jaehwa looked at Jeongguk from head to toe then smiled again, “Either way, you look like you have a girlfriend.”

 

“What.”

 

Examining him like a critic, Jaehwa took a stroll around him as if he was on display, “Nice eyes, good jawline, fair skin, not too skinny but not buff, pretty tall and still manage to look good while wearing casual clothing. I wonder how many girls would die to see this.”

 

The only word that was coming to his mind was creepy. Jeongguk felt creeped out at the way her eyes traveled his body. And yet he was smiling to himself inside when she complimented his looks. Jaehwa stood by his side, watching him smile.

 

“Come on.” Jaehwa strut off, leaving Jeongguk to hurry his footsteps.

 

“Where are we going,”

 

“To your house.” Jaehwa said as if it were obvious, “You'll get wet since you don't have an umbrella so I'll walk you home.”

 

Stuttering over many of his words, Jeongguk was finally able to find his home. Just about ready to dash into his house, Jaehwa gripped his arm back. Not letting him leave yet. Pulling a pen from the inside of her purse, Jaehwa wrote out her digits onto his arm largely before signing her name largely too. Jeongguk gawked at the large writing that took up his whole arm.

 

“You didn't have to write so big.”

 

Jaehwa smiled with a giggle passing her lips, “Text me. I expect one tonight and if you don't, I'm coming back over here. Okay?” Jeongguk nodded, watching her turn her back and leave.

 

The door clicked as she entered her own home. Jaehwa closed her drenched umbrella and took off her shoes. Out of the corner of her eye she could see her brother in the kitchen.

 

“Jimin called. Said you got a new boyfriend. I don't get why you can't just give him one chance. Just because he has a reputation doesn't mean he'll stick to that reputation.”

 

Jaehwa sighed, “You know what. I really don't care.” Her smile disappeared and her eyes darkened, “And I don't have a boyfriend. It was a fake okay. Stop bothering me too.”

 

Taehyung placed the washed dish into the rack as Jaehwa entered the kitchen, “Since when was asking a question bothering you. Jaehwa, why do you insist on excluding yourself from us. We're your family. Every time you come into the house, you're a totally different person.”

 

Jaehwa turned towards him, “Shut up okay. Just shut up. I know I act different. I know I'm two faced. I know I am what everyone calls me but guess what, I really don't care. Why do I insist on excluding myself, find out yourself.” Jaehwa breathed out, stepping out of the kitchen then stopping, “And your little Jimin tried kissing me today. Remind him that I'll punch in the gut when I see him again.”

 

Jeongguk scrubbed his arm with a sponge, “Why isn't this coming off.” Frustrated to the max, he stared at his red arm. The numbers smeared a little, “She wrote with a permanent marker didn't she.”

 

An hour passed and Jeongguk was able to get most of it off. Although the numbers were still visible, he decided to wait a day and hopefully it would dry off. Just as he opened the door to the bathroom, he ran into his mother. Shocked, Jeongguk let out a small scream while jumping back.

 

“Why are you screaming.”

 

“Why are you popping out of know where.”

 

His mother glared at him, “I'm walking. You're so stupid.” Her eyes spotted the redness on his arm and raised a brow, “What were you doing in the bathroom.”

 

Jeongguk slid his arm behind his back, “Nothing.”

 

Still a bit skeptical, she continued walking, “I better not find anything in there.”

 

Lying on his bed, Jeongguk could still feel the warm touch of Jaehwa's. His mind was racing and he could hear his heart beating loudly. For the first time the whole summer, he didn't feel like playing games or searching the internet. He didn't feel like staying trapped in his room, instead, he wanted to go out for a while.