Thirteen.

The Red Umbrella

I don't think he's feeling well.” Jeongguk's mother told her husband as they watched their son roll around in his sleep, “I think it's the girl. They must have fought.”

 

Nonsense.”

 

She shook her head, “Our lazy son is too lazy to go after her. He's an idiot at these things. Remember when he was little, and he tried to give a rose to the girl across the street. Instead of handing it to her, he just threw it to her face. My son is a complete fool when it comes to relationships.”

 

He's just shy.”

 

Let's just let him be.”

 

Jeongguk opened his eyes once he knew his parents had left and sat up. He stared at his phone once again but nothing came. No message, no calls, nothing came from Jaehwa. He was ready to give up. As the night dragged on, Jeongguk couldn't sleep a wink. His eyes were ready to fall asleep but his mind could only focus on the cell phone that could ring any moment. Before he knew it, his wish for the phone to ring came true.

 

Jeongguk quickly answered, “Hello.”

 

Jeongguk, it's Jimin! I found your number in Jaehwa's phone.”

 

Jeongguk's shoulders slumped at his voice, “What do you want.”

 

So I've been kind of shot down by Jaehwa. She kind of told me that she didn't deserve me. Which to me sounds kind of like a win but I'll never get to be with her. She wants to be with you right now and I hate you for that. I really really hate you. I want to kill you.”

 

Thanks for the message.”

 

Jimin laughed, “Anyways, she needs you.”

 

Jaehwa scrolled through her phone in the darkness. Her mind had suddenly forbid her from sleeping that night. She watched as the time on her phone changed to midnight and yet she still couldn't sleep. Jaehwa look at her window where she could see the moon shining. She jumped as soon as the window slowly started to break into pieces.

 

What the...” Jaehwa got out of her bed, and stepped towards her window where she saw Jeongguk look at her, “What the hell do you think you're doing!” Jaehwa whispered in a yelling tone, “You broke my window.”

 

Jeongguk's eyes widened, “I'm so sorry. I didn't mean for that to happen.”

 

What did you throw.”

 

I swear I threw a small rock.”

 

How does a small rock break my window. You're so stupid. What do you want?”

 

Jeongguk sighed, “Say yes first.”

 

Jaehwa look at him bewildered, “No. Why?”

 

I never got to ask you something. So before I ask you, say yes first.”

 

Jaehwa rolled her eyes, “Fine, yes, sure, whatever. Now what is so important that you needed to break my window for.”

 

Will you go out with me.”