Ten.

The Red Umbrella

Jeongguk's mother looked around the room in surprise. She felt her eyes were deceiving her. His room was spotless. No clothing on the ground, the desk cleared off, and everything organized in some way. The television was turned off and the laptop sitting on the desk. She found Jeongguk silently wrapped in his blankets, looking better than she had found him a few weeks ago. Instead of waking him up, she left the room with the door closed.

 

Jeongguk peaked his eyes open before waking up fully. He sat up with his cell phone in hand. Jeongguk scrolled through his phone, hoping he'd be interrupted by a text or call. It'd been a week since he last saw Jaehwa as well as he last kissed her. He found it unusual that she hadn't contacted him in any way and it had driven him crazy. He felt the need to do something and decided to clean his room in order to forget the thought of the kiss.

 

“Are you all right?”

 

Jeongguk glanced at his mother as he ate his breakfast. Jeongguk nodded, “Yeah, why?”

 

“Because when I walked into your room, it was clean.”

 

Jeongguk saw a surprised look in his father's face, “I can clean my room too. I had nothing to do.” Soon Jeongguk heard the ringing of his cell phone from his room. He immediately dropped his utensils and dashed to his room. Almost out of breath, he answered, “Hello.”

 

“Did you run a mile or something?”

 

From the unfamiliar voice, Jeongguk looked at the caller id before speaking again, “Minah. Did you need something?”

 

“Well I was actually...”

 

Jeongguk stopped listening when the ends of his eyes caught onto something outside of his window. He saw a glint of red pass his home that looked like an umbrella.

 

“I gotta go, I'll call you back.” Jeongguk ended the call, running down the steps to the door where he screamed, “I'm leaving. I'll be back later.”

 

Running out the gates of his home, he ran the same way he saw the red travel. Jeongguk stopped at a corner, out of breath, and legs ready to pass out.

 

“I said I was sorry.”

 

Jeongguk peaked around the corner, seeing the back of Jaehwa and the front of a man.

 

Jaehwa scoffed, “You know me Jin. I never take an apology. No matter how many times a person says sorry to me, I'll never take it. Now get out of my way, I have to go apologize to someone because of your aftereffect.”

 

Jin blocked Jaehwa's way just as she was about to leave, “Then let me make it up to you. I'll do anything.”

 

“Fine. I want a house, a car, a new closet of clothes, and for you to go die in a hole.” Jin stayed silent and Jaehwa sighed, “You know what I found a guy who's so different. He makes me laugh till I cry and he cares when I feel down but the thing is, he doesn't know the whole thing. And you know what, I was never sure of what I felt with him. I thought of him as one of my toys. As one of the guys I could play with but then a week ago. I swear I knew what I wanted for a second.” Jaehwa breathed out, running a hand through her hair before looking Jin straight in the eye, “And you can't just waltz back into my life and act like you never rejected me.”

 

“Jaehwa, I'm really sorry.”

 

“Sorry's not gonna take what you said away. Just because you see something different now than then, you can't just change your mind. I changed okay. My appearance is different but my personality is still the same. You rejected me, you're rejection will always be in my mind. You can't do anything about it. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm probably going to be the biggest idiot in my life, and make the biggest mistake I've ever made, and maybe just like a year ago. I'll get rejected. Goodbye Jin.”

 

Jaehwa walked off, leaving the stunned Jin. Jeongguk backed up, turning his body and heading back for his home. He didn't know how to react. Firstly he was curious to who the guy was, secondly, he was surprised to see how heartless she seemed to him. For an hour, Jeongguk laid on his bed. Pondering through the internet that seemed to bore him now.

 

A knock on his door made him lift his head, “Just a second.” He closed his laptop before heading to the door and opening it. To his surprise, Jaehwa stood confidently with a box of pizza and small pack of coke.

 

Jaehwa looked at him innocently, “My apologies? I acted kind of dumb last week. I had met with someone I never thought would show up and I did a stupid thing to you so....will you forgive me?” Jaehwa blinked at the non speaking Jeongguk. She lifted up the pizza and coke higher, “I got you these as an 'I'm really sorry and hope you would forgive me' gift.”

 

Jeongguk firmly gripped the door frame, leaning closer to her, “That depends. Are you going to help me finish that pizza.”

 

Jaehwa saw a different kind of look in his eyes but she felt attracted to them, “Y-Yes.”

 

Jeongguk smiled, “I forgive you then.” He opened the door wider for her, “Come in.”