Chapter 7 - Saturday

Don't Let Me Close My Eyes Tonight

Chapter 7 – Saturday

BACK 7 DAYS EARLIER

Baekhyun was waiting on the bench, swinging his feet back and forth, a smile that touched his eyes as he reminisced all the good times with his friends. A pair of soft small hands covered his eyes from behind. “Guess who?” chimed the sweet voice of the girl he loved, but he could tell she had her heart on someone else.

“It’s Becka?” he said, knowing very well that it was Hyemi. Hyemi dropped her hands to her side a small pout on her lips. “It’s me.” She sighed, crossing her arms. “Haha, I know it’s you. It’s just fun to play with you.” Baekhyun laughed, pulling her into his arms and making her fall onto his lap.

“Well that’s not funny.” She pouted as she looked up into his face. Baekhyun winced holding his head for a second. “Oppa, are you okay?” Hyemi asked, concerned as she reached over with her hands to massage his temples. Baekhyun nodded, “Yeah it’s nothing.” He smiled as he pulled her hands down.

“This headache hasn’t gone away.” He thought, but he already told his parents and he was doing a good job hiding the pain, except for that little slip. They scheduled an appointment for him today, but he wasn’t going to tell Hyemi, until after. It was the reason he had started thinking about this relationship even more and everything. Lately he had noticed how close Hyemi and Kai were and it didn’t make him jealous, it just made him look closer to what their relationship really meant.

“Are you sure? I mean I wouldn’t be lying if I told you you’ve had this headache since last week. Have you told your parents about it?” Hyemi sighed concerned as she pushed herself up to sit on the bench next to Baekhyun.

“It’s not even that Hyemi, I’m fine. You don’t have to worry and I haven’t been having headaches for that long, your exaggerating.” He said as he wrapped his hands around her even though he knew she was partly right. He had been having them for a more than a month now. Kissing the top of her head lightly as if to brush off their small conversation.

“Fine I believe you, but only because I trust you.” Hyemi sighed hugging him back, burying her face into his chest. “Okay let’s get going or were going to miss our movie.” Baekhyun smiled gently pulling her face up, touching his nose with hers. Hyemi nodded, smiling.

“Shall we.” Baekhyun half smiled as he leaned in closer, closing the distance between them, his lips touching hers. An unexplainable feeling coursing through their bodies both for entirely different reasons. Baekhyun didn’t know if this was right or not, he wasn’t even sure anymore.

They pulled away a small smile playing on both their lips. “Let’s go, Mr. Byun.” Hyemi smiled her cheeks slightly red. “I’ll lead the way, my princess.” He smiled locking his arm into hers as they walked towards the theatre happily.

When they reached the theatre Baekhyun ordered the tickets and got them some popcorn, drinks and Hyemi’s favorite candy. “You didn’t have to.” Hyemi sighed as she crossed her arms over her chest, pouting cutely. “I’m only doing it for you. I have to keep my princess pampered.” He laughed patting her head as they sat down in their seats to watch the movie. “Aye, Oppa you always know what to say.” Hyemi giggled shaking her head, leaning in to give him a light peck on his cheek.

“Thank you.” He smiled, wrapping an arm around her shoulders as they snuggled together to watch the movie.

“I’ll be back.” Baekhyun whispered into Hyemi’s ear, halfway through the movie. She nodded, taking her eyes from the screen to look at Baekhyun and watched him until he disappeared from her view before she went back to watching the movie.

Baekhyun walked to the restroom, he could feel himself shake, his headache seemed to be getting stronger, “Just a little longer and I go home.” He thought as he splashed some cool water on his face. He felt uneasy and tired. Weakly he walked over to one of the stalls, locking the door behind him as he bent over, an acidic taste reaching his mouth, the contents in his stomach spilling out entirely. “What’s wrong with me?” he thought as he shakily wiped his mouth with the back of his hand.

Carefully he stood up and walked over to the sink, rinsing his mouth and washing his hands. He was glad he was the only one in the bathroom at least nobody heard him or witnessed what had happened. Before he walked back out he composed himself and hid away how he was feeling as he did, popping a mint into his mouth to wash away the rancid taste from his mouth and taking one last look at himself before he did step out.

As he stepped out, he was greeted by Hyemi. “Did I take that long?” he asked, a small smile on his lips as he scratched the back of his head. “Well there wasn’t that much left of the movie when you got up.” Hyemi smiled taking his hand in hers. “I’m sorry.” He sighed.

“Don’t worry about it. It’s only normal for us humans to go to the restroom.” Hyemi beamed, snuggling into him as they walked out of the theatre. “That’s why I like you. Nothing ever makes you mad Hyemi. I can’t remember a single day that you got mad at me. In fact I don’t think there ever has been a time you were mad at me.” Baekhyun smiled, hugging her into him. “I’m sorry.” He thought because he had been lying to her all day and he didn’t know how everything would turn out.

“It’s because there’s no reason to get mad at you, Mr. Byun.” She laughed poking his cheek with her index finger. “That’s why you’re a good friend. Now come on let’s get you home before your parents get mad at me for taking you home late because you still have to pack.” He laughed shaking his head as he picked her up into his arms. “I’m taking you home like it or not.”

“I can walk put me down.” Hyemi squirmed in his arms. “Nope my princess can’t dirty her clean feet, she must be pampered.” He laughed.

“Oh stop it, but I must say I like the nice treatment.” Hyemi smiled wrapping her arms around his neck. “That’s because you’re high class, dear princess.” He laughed.

“Nope only because you’re the one doing it to me.” She smiled kissing his cheek.

Baekhyun carried Hyemi to her house placing her on her feet when they reached the front door to her house.

“Thank you for the great day.” Hyemi smiled, hugging him tightly as she tiptoed to kiss his lips. “You’re welcome my princess.” Baekhyun smiled, resting his forehead on hers. “Okay, I’ll see you on Monday now, right?” Hyemi said a warm smile on her lips.

“Yes you have fun tomorrow with your family and tell me all about it. I’ll miss you.” Baekhyun frowned cutely.

“Aye oppa I’m not staying at my aunts forever. I’ll come back to you don’t worry. I always do.” Hyemi smiled before she hugged him one last time and went inside her house.

Baekhyun watched until she closed the door to start walking to his house, his phone vibrating in his pocket. Without looking at the caller ID he answered the phone, “I’m on my way, I just dropped her off.” He sighed into the phone.

“Okay we’ll find you on our way so we can get their early. Baekhyun why didn’t you tell us about this sooner?” his dad said, his tone full of concern.

“I didn’t think it was much of a big deal.” Beakhyun answered.

“Okay, well stay where you’re at we see you already.” his mom said, ending the call right after and sure enough their family car pulled up beside him. Hesitantly he got in, he was nervous and a bit relieved to find out what was happening with him and a little part of him didn’t want to find out, but it was necessary.

Baekhyun stayed quiet for the rest of the drive to the hospital, tears filling his eyes, but never coming out. His headache persisting and never wanting to go away, not even with medicine.

When they got to the hospital Baekhyun followed his parents, his mom filled out the papers while he waited seated next to his dad. In a matter of seconds after his mom had turned in the forms, a man in a white coat walked out a clipboard in hand.

“Byun Baekhyun.” He called out not looking up from the clipboard. Baekhyun got up his parents following behind. “Hello, Mr. Byun, I didn’t know you would be coming to work so soon.” The doctor smiled laughing slightly. “Oh you know me, Kim Wonbin.” Baekhyun’s dad went along with the joke, but got serious right after. “Yes I do know you. Okay so this is your son, wow he’s gotten big. Well now if you will follow me. I’ll take you to a room, we will check his vitals and temperature. Then we will take you to the x-ray room and scan you’re brain.” The doctor said, his voice warm and pleasant, very humble.

Baekhyun was guided into the room, Dr. Kim patted the bed he stood next to for Baekhyun to sit on and he did as told. “Now are the headaches you’ve been having long lasting or short?” he asked as he checked, Baekhyun’s ears. “Um, well, they just don’t go away, like right now.” Baekhyun winced slightly.

“Hm, and are these headaches accompanied with something else?” he asked, now taking one of Baekhyun’s hands to put the blood pressure cuff on. “Yeah, I’ve been feeling tired and nauseous and sometimes I feel like throwing up and I never have until today.” Baekhyun said a bit nervous, he didn’t want to tell him everything, but if he wanted to get better or for his headaches to go away, he had to be honest.

“I see. I’m just going to take a small amount of blood and we will head on over for the x-ray.” Dr. Kim said. Baekhyun nodded preparing himself to be poked, never did like the idea of getting his flesh poked, so he turned away once he saw the needle.

The procedure was done before he knew it. Then a couple of nurses walked in taking care of the information the doctor received and the blood he took out, while Dr. Kim lead them on over to the x-ray room.

“I’m going to need you to put this on and I’ll be waiting here with your parents. There’s a little room in there you could use to change.” The doctor said as he handed Baekhyun’s hospital clothes. Baekhyun took the clothes and changed, he was beginning to feel a little scared. He felt like coming here was a bad idea, something bad was going to happen, but he didn’t know what else to do. Slowly he walked out of the room carrying his clothes as he wore the hospital clothes. He went over to his parents and handed them his clothes.

Then he let the doctor guide him to a tube. “You just get on here and stay as still as you can.” The doctor said as he patted the place where he would have to lay. Baekhyun got on and stayed still as the machine started to make weird noises, his heart pounding against his chest. Ever so slowly where he lay it retreated into the inside of the cave like hole in the machine the darkness inside eating him up.

It seemed like hours until finally he was taken out. His mom handed him his clothes and he went to go change in the same room he changed before. Only this time when he got out of the room, he could see his parents crying, his dad helping his mom stand. As he walked into the room they all turned to him, his mom left his dads side to go next to Baekhyun.

“What’s going on?” Baekhyun asked a little lost, feeling sad himself. “Were not sure yet, but from what we could see. The reason of your headaches is from a tumor and if it is, I’m afraid it’s inoperable. It seems to be growing slowly, but there’s nothing we can do. You could take the chemo treatment, but that will only help you live just a little longer. We will double check the results and I’m really sorry.” Dr. Wonbin said as Baekhyun stood there frozen in his position. Immediately he thought of his friends and Hyemi, he couldn’t tell them, why should he? It hurt him more to see them like his parents were now so what was he to do?

“We’ll be checking on the progression of the tumor, I’d suggest you go to school, be with your friends, while you still can, I wouldn’t want you to spend your last day’s here cooped up on a bed. For right now we will prescribe some pain meds, maybe suppress the headaches to a low minimum, you might not even feel them. They should be ready by tomorrow and I’ll go out of my way to drop them off, so don’t worry about having to pick them up.” Dr. Kim said tears filling his eyes as he glanced at Baekhyun’s dad and back to Baekhyun. “Thank you.” Baekhyun said as he went over and hugged the doctor, he was relieved in a way to know what it was that was wrong with him, even though he hated that this had to be the answer.

“You shouldn’t thank me. We’ll just try to help you with everything. If you need anything give me a call, you have my number and I’m speaking to you as a friend, not a doctor.” Wonbin said, looking at all of them.

Baekhyun’s dad nodded, “Thank you for letting us count on you.” He said letting his tears fall. “Oh no like I said, you’re my friend and I’ll help you. If you want to take some time off, I could take care of that too.” He said a caring smile on his lips. “Thank you.” Baekhyun’s dad said as they walked out.

They all got back in the car silence enveloping around them, with the sad sniffles heard every once in a while. Baekhyun sat in the back seat thinking then as they came to the first intersection he broke the silence.

“Mom, dad…did he tell you how much I would have to live?” He asked, thoughts running through his head. “W-what gives you the idea that…”

“You wouldn’t have been crying like that if he wouldn’t.” Baekhyun said as a matter of fact. “…well, it’s not for sure, but…” his mom cried unable to finish her sentence.

“He said you have maybe a week.” His dad finished as he wiped off his tears. “If I ask for both of you to do me a favor, would you do it?” he asked, glancing from his dad to his mom, waiting for the both of them to nod. Once they did, he continued, “I’m going to break up with Hyemi and discontinuing my friendship with the guys. I don’t want you to tell them and I wouldn’t want them to find out, so when I do may you please not answer when they call?” he asked the hot tears he was holding back for so long finally sliding down from the brim of his eyelid.

“W-wha, you can’t do that Baekhyun, you’ll hurt yourself. Why would you cause so much pain by doing that?” his mom cried, turning back to look at him closely. “It doesn’t matter if I get hurt, I just don’t want them to. I prefer it this way.” He sighed, his voice shaky, his heart already in pain of the thought of hurting his closest friends like this, but he didn’t want them to suffer when he left. Not that he was special or anything he just didn’t want to face them like this.

“Are you crazy? You know you’ll be hurting them by doing this.” His dad yelled shaking his head in disapproval. “If I hurt them like this, they won’t suffer from losing me. I don’t care if they stay mad at me until forever.” He said his voice shaky, his head hurting a bit more than before. “Besides, you both agreed you would do me this favor.” He sighed, as he placed his head against the cool glass window.

His parents were about to talk back, but they were unable to go against his wishes. “I’ll do it.” His dad sighed in defeat. “I’m only agreeing because your father is, but if they find out or anything I’m telling them.” His mom said, crying silently as she crossed her arms.

The rest of the drive home was quiet, everyone too busy in their own thoughts to know that the radio was off. When they got home Baekhyun went straight to his room, working out the details of his plan as he picked up the house phone dialing the phone number he had burned into his mind, his closest cousin, Borah’s.

“Hello cousin. Why are you calling so late?” she chimed as she picked up the phone. “Could you come over tomorrow, as soon as you can? No question’s right now, I’ll just answer you tomorrow when you get here.” He sighed, rubbing his tired eyes. “Are you okay? Something’s wrong isn’t there? Oh, you’re not answering my questions. Of course I’ll go over tomorrow bright and early in the morning. You’re like my brother, why wouldn’t I?” she sighed, her voice full of concern. “Thank you. I’ll see you tomorrow then.” Baekhyun sighed, hanging up, his hands shaky, he felt tired, exhausted even though he hadn’t really done anything, but this whole ordeal had him worn out.

Carefully he laid himself on his bed, not even caring to dress himself into his PJ’s. He closed his eyes, letting himself beak down from everything that was happening. He let the warm tears he was trying so hard to keep in, slip out and silently crying as he clutched on to his pillow tightly, trying to get his mind off of the heavy day’s that would come ahead.

In the end crying himself to sleep.


Since I was really happy I got comments thank you!!!! I decided to update today!!! All my readers happy right?

So this chapter you sort of find out what's going on. So Baekhyun planned this all along hmm what is to come now.

okay now I leave you with gifs

(CR: to the people who made them)

They are imitating Taemin and Jonghyun’s perf. RLAB.