Two: Shots of Expresso

What a Bitter-Sweet World

 

 


Narrator’s POV

Jongdae just watches as she walks away, bewildered by what had happened.

He sighs, and squats down while clutching his hair in confusion.

Jongdae glances at the river again, this time noticing something along the river bank.

Standing up he makes his way over and picks up the object.

It was a small bag. Opening it he found a cellphone and keys.

He assumes that it had belonged to the girl from earlier but he had to make sure.

It wasn’t a smart phone so he didn’t have to type in a password. He couldn’t find trace of a name anywhere so he decided to check her contacts.

“Aunt, Uncle, Work…she only has three contacts?” he raised an eyebrow wondering.

No Mom? or Dad?

He was afraid she would’ve needed her keys so Jongdae calls the first contact on her phone, Aunt.

The phone rang once, twice.

“YAH! YOU LITTLE ---WHERE ARE YOU?!” an angry female voice shrieks across the phone.

Jongdae flinches at the loudness, “Um, I’m sorry but she left her bag behind…”

“A male voice? Hah! That girl was playing around like the she is! Hey boy, you better stay away from her. She’s trouble,” the voice chuckles and hung up before he could respond.

Okay. Now Jongdae was officially confused. His eye brows furrowed and he decides to just keep her bag for now.

He’ll give it back to her, eventually.

Maybe he’ll even have a chance to finally talk to her, not like tonight’s talk, but a REAL conversation.

He wanted to find out why…why she would dislike her life to the point that she would give it up.

He shivers as a gust of wind blew by.

Dammit, he was going to get yelled at by Suho for coming back wet.

With a sigh Jongdae turns around and makes way back to his car, his keys in one hand, and the other hand holding onto her bag.

------------

After a few hours of rest Jongdae was up again for another day full of schedules.

As the members made their way out of the dorm,  Jongdae stops and looks back at his room.

He walks in and pulls open his drawer. He reaches for her bag bringing it with him, just in case he somehow got a chance to see her later, no matter how absurd that sounds when he didn’t even know her name.

After EXO’s the last schedule for the day he hastily jumps into the EXO bus, SM had rented for their new album, making sure that no one had taken the bag.

Sehun makes his way into the bus and seats himself right next to Jongdae, “Hyung, whose bag is that?” EXO’s maknae questions as he yanks the bag out of Jongdae’s hands.

“Yah! None of your business,” he scolds as he snatches the bag back from Sehun. The younger pouts and turns around in his seat to talk to his other hyungs.

They reach the dorm and everyone files into their prospective rooms.

He sits himself on his bed and pulls out her bag again.

‘Maybe I should call her workplace and see if she’s working today?’ Jongdae wonders as he pulls out her cellphone.

Dialing the ‘Work’ contact a male voice picks up.

“Yoboseyo? Mieun-sshi?”

Jongdae panics for a second, “U-uh, I’m not Mieun-sshi!”

“Then why do you have her phone? Did you do something to her! You better not have done anything to her!” the male voice threatens in a panic.

“No no no! She dropped her bag yesterday and I picked it up, wanting to return it to her. However, when I called her other contacts they weren’t of any help…” he quickly explains.

There was a silence, “Ohhhh, why didn’t you tell me sooner! Yeah, they won’t be very helpful if you want to find the owner of that bag. Hmmm, she might even have gotten scolded if you called her aunt or uncle.”

Jongdae’s insides turned.

He had phoned her Aunt, and she didn’t sound happy. He felt guilty, what if she was scolded because of him? But he hadn’t known…he only wanted to return her things.

“I’m so sorry,” Jongdae replies.

“Ah don’t worry! Anyways, you’re lucky! She works today at around 8pm-12 midnight so if you would kindly drop by then to return it to her that would be awesome!” the man suggested.

Practice ended at 7, he was free that time today.

“Okay, umm can I get your name and the location?” Jongdae asks as he pulls out his cellphone to type in the info.

“My name’s Park Taehyun. I’m the owner at Café de Amor in Itaewon, Yongsan-gu. I’m pretty sure you’ve heard of it,” Taehyun replies.   

“Yeah I have, it’s pretty famous for its coffee,” Jongdae compliments.

The manager chuckles, “Shucks you’re too kind! Anyways, what’s your name so I can keep an eye out for you?”

“Jongdae. Kim Jongdae.”

“Well Jongdae-sshi, please drop by later.”

“Okay.”

He ends the conversation and tucks Mieun’s phone back into her bag.

“Mieun…what a beautiful name. Mieun, Mieun, Mieun,” he repeats.

He smiles at the sound of her name.

He didn’t know why, but he was anticipating his visit to Café de Amor tonight.

----------

 

 

 

To me, you, who is so warm and smells so beautiful
 
But it can’t be more beautiful and now it’s just a memory
 
Baby baby you’re caramel macchiato
 
Still, near my lips, your scent is sweet
 
Baby baby, tonight
 
Baby baby, you’re more than the scent of caffe latte
 
Do you remember this feeling, this comfort
 
Baby, baby, tonight
Caffe Latte- Urban Zakapa (Geeks Remix)

Mieun winces as she applies BB cream to her face, doing her best to cover up the bruises that resulted after the morning beating from her aunt and uncle.

Her work uniform consists of a long sleeve, thank goodness, white dress shirt and black suspenders with a black apron around her wait. The owner had recommended that she wore a skirt like the rest of the female employees, but she refused, asking if she could wear black slacks instead. Being the kind person he is the owner agreed.

She ties the apron around her waist and skillfully pulls her hair up into a messy bun.

Closing her locker she makes her way out to the café’s barista stand. Taehyun greets her with a smile and her co-workers gave her acknowledging nods.

Mieun had to admit, out of all the things in her crappy life working at Café de Amor would be one of the brighter moments. She absolutely loves coffee and after earning a job at the café she practiced her coffee making skills, eventually becoming a permanent barista.

 Café de Amor was known for the best coffee in the Itaewon district of Yongsan-gu.

It was known for her coffee.

She enjoyed making drinks, as much as the customers enjoyed drinking them. Her uncle and aunt have no idea of her job. They assume that Mieun spends her time lazing off somewhere. If they ever find out that she has a job all of her savings would be taken away immediately.

They didn’t care about her. They only cared about the money they receive for taking care of Mieun, the money left behind by her parents when they passed away.

Mieun was 3. She didn’t remember much.

Not even their faces.

The only times her aunt and uncle would pay her any attention was at school conferences and when they abused her.

The abuse happens almost every day. It was their way of relieving their anger and stress. She couldn’t report them…she needed a place to stay until she earned enough to live on her own.

Her head throbs, and a sneeze escapes her nose.

Mieun felt horrible, she had fallen asleep on the floor in her wet clothes and earned herself a cold.

Reaching for one of the porcelain cups she makes herself some tea.

“Mieun-ah, you okay?” Taehyun, the owner, asks in concern.

“I’m fine,” Mieun replies in a monotone voice. She didn’t want to sound uncaring, that’s just how her voice came out whenever she spoke.

No wonder she never made any friends.

“Well…someone picked up your bag that you supposedly lost. I asked him to drop by today to return it,” Taehyun notifies her as he watches her clean the cups.

‘What a nice person,’ Mieun thought as she gave the owner a nod, “Okay. Thank you owner-sshi.”

Taehyun feigns a look of hurt, “Mieun-ah! You make me sound so old, just call me Taehyun-oppa.”

Mieun looks at him with her poker face, “Neh, owner-sshi.” With a sigh Taehyun just gave up, but his eyes perked up as he heard the bells on the entrance door ring.

He had been keeping an eye out for this Kim Jongdae person.

In through the door walked a man about 178cm in height, he had a hoodie and glasses on but his light brown hair stuck out from under his hood.

He looks around, confused about who to talk to. Taehyun assumes that this man was Kim Jongdae so he approaches him.

“Excuse me, are you Jongdae-sshi?” the owner asks in a whisper.

Jongdae looks around to see if anyone had noticed his disguise, but everyone in the café was minding their own business.

“Yes, you’re Taehyun-sshi?” Jongdae replies with a small smile as he met glances with the owner.

“Yes I am!Oh—my—god---You’re--! Ahem, well Jongdae-sshi let’s go somewhere private shall we?” Taehyun recognizes Jongdae as Chen from the popular boy group EXO, but he kept his composure. Rapidly Taehyun seats Chen at a table in a secluded area near the barista bar.

“Please feel free to order anything you’d like Chen—I mean Jongdae-sshi. I’ll call Mieun over,” Taehyun hands him the menu.

Chen takes the menu and nods politely. Taehyun makes his way to call Mieun over.

“MIEUN, MIEUN, MIEUN!” Taehyun squeals. Mieun narrows her eyes in annoyance, giving him a questioning look.

Taehyun calms himself down, “I didn’t know you knew Chen from EXO!” He whispers.

“Wait, Jen from what?” Mieun asks clearly confused.

“No no! CHEN, from EXO! The ever so popular and gorgeous new boy group from SMent!” Taehyun corrects. 

Mieun still held a look of confusion on her face, “I have no idea what you’re talking about…I don’t know such a person.” She turns away to start on the new coffee orders.

Taehyun scratches his head, “But he’s the one who has your bag…He’s sitting over there!” Taehyun points to the area where Chen was seated.

Mieun shifts her vision to where Taehyun pointed. She couldn’t really make out his face since he had his hood up and wore glasses.

“Anyways, I’ll go take his order! Go get your purse when you’re done with the next couple orders!” Taehyun exclaims as he happily skips back to Chen.

In less than a minute he came back with the order.

Mieun held her hand out for the order slip without looking away from the drink she was preparing with her other hand.

“He asked for you to recommend him a drink,” Taehyun explains.

She sighs and withdrew her hand, “Kay.”

“I’m going to keep him company so bring it over when you’re done with his drink okay?” the owner grins, quite happy to keep the idol company.

Taehyun seats himself across from Chen causing the latter to look up.

“So…how do you know Mieun?” Taehyun asks as he starts to interrogate him.

Chen gives a small grin and draws circles on the table with his finger, “…fate introduced us.”

 The owner smiles and looks back when he notices Chen’s change in focus.

“Here’s your drink sir,” Mieun places the porcelain cup in front of Chen, a sweet aroma emitting from it.

Mieun finally recognizes him, as the person that saved her yesterday. She bit her lower lip lightly. Mieun was in no mood to face him after yesterday.   

Chen on the other hand beamed happily as he sees her approach them.

Taking it as his cue to leave Taehyun clears his throat, “Well Mieun you can take your break early, sit down and talk to Jongdae-sshi for a bit.”

Mieun didn’t shift and stays firmly planted in her standing position.

“Can I just have my bag please?” Mieun asks as she stares at Jongdae.

He pouts,“Are you in a hurry?

“Yes. Thanks for bringing me my bag; can I have it back now?” Mieun extends her arm and opens her palm as she waits for Chen to give it back.

He pouts ignoring her request, “So what is this?” Chen asks as he raises the cup to take in the smell.

“Jong--…” Mieun stumbles in remembering his name.

“Jongdae.” So she doesn’t recognize me.

“Ahem, Jongdae-sshi. I don’t know what you want but if it’s money for finding my bag then I’ll give it to you, so can you please---,” Mieun starts to get irritated.

“I don’t want your money,” he cuts her off and looks up, locking his gaze with hers.

“Then what do you want?” Mieun says coldly, averting her eyes from his piercing stare.

Chen takes a sip and the foam that sticks to his upper lip, “Just for you to have a conversation with me…is that too much to ask?” His eyes pleading for her to not reject him again.

She gives up and sits in the seat across from him with a sigh.

He faintly smiles and takes another sip of the hot drink. The sweet taste lingers on the tip of his tongue, and the liquid slowly warms up his insides.

“I taste cinnamon?” he guesses.

She looks at him, then back at the cup, “My special mix, brown sugar macchiato with a hint of cinnamon.” Mieun replies rather bored.

He sneaks a glance at her while sipping his drink. He takes in the image in front of him, now he sees her facial features a lot better than yesterday.

Chen had to admit, the moonlight made her look beautiful at night but seeing her in bright light made his heart tingle. 


 

Jongdae’s POV

She pays no attention to me as I continue analyzing her face. She wasn’t ‘celebrity pretty’ but she was still beautiful in her own way.

Have I been captivated by her already?

Her right eye twitches as she notices my stare, but I don’t look away.

 Her usual straight dark fudge brown hair is pulled up into a messy bun. Little strands stuck out awkwardly but I found it cute.

She occupies herself by staring at her hands, trying to ignore my presence.

Is she really that eager to leave?

The silence continues as I suddenly notice a small cut on the side of her lips. It seems like she used BB cream to cover up most of it but failed to conceal that spot.

It wasn’t there yesterday.

Did someone hit her? Ah…her aunt?

My guilt builds up.

Unconsciously I reach out and brush my fingers under the cut, careful not to touch it.

As a reflex she jerks back, slapping my hand as she gives me a shocked expression.

“Jongdae-sshi, I don’t care if you’re an idol or the president; you have no right to touch me when I don’t even know you,” Mieun retorts and is about to get up.

So she recognizes me?

She probably forgot I had her bag. I grab her wrist and she gives a yank to try and free herself.

If looks could kill I would’ve been dead from the glare she gave me, “Let go of me before I report you for ual harassment.”

I look at her, “I’m sorry.”

For two things…

She must’ve seen the sincerity behind my words because she sat herself back down.

“I’m sorry I used your phone without permission yesterday…I just wanted to give it back to you. I didn’t think you’d get in trouble for it,” I apologize again.

I shut my eyes, preparing myself for a scolding.

She just sighs, “It’s not your fault. You were just trying to help…”

Surprised at her reply I exhale in relief.

“Does it hurt?” I point to the mirrored area where her cut was on my lips.

“No.”

“Your aunt?...” I boldly ask.

I see her flinch.

“…..none of your business.”

I finish the cup of brown sugar macchiato and smile, “I heard you’re the best coffee barista in all of Yongsan. In my opinion your coffee is….”

She keeps quiet but I could see the scared anticipation in her eyes.

She’s probably thinking, ‘Does he not like it?’ Maybe I should’ve made him something else.’

Poker-face or not, I read her like an open book…but I’ve always had a knack for these things. 

I chuckle slightly and finish my sentence, “….is wonderful. I think you’ve earned yourself a long term customer.”

Her lips lift up, just slightly, into a satisfied smile.

Cute.

I want to ask her why she was in the river yesterday…was it attempted suicide?

I didn’t have the guts to though.

 Maybe I will after we get to know each other better…if we get the chance to that is.

…but I think that it’s quite possible.

The Fates seem to love us.

“We’ve never officially met,” I hold out my hand for a shake. “My name’s Kim Jongdae, stage name is Chen. 22 years old. Main vocalist in the rookie boy group, EXO.”

She takes my hand, “Lee Mieun…20.”

So she’s younger…

“You seem chill about meeting an idol,” I laugh.

“Am I supposed to be ecstatic? Like ‘OPPA OH MY GOD!’? I’m sorry but I don’t even recognize you or your group…” she bluntly said.

Ouch.

But I don’t take it personally; she doesn’t seem like the fan girl type.

Yeah, she’s not a fan girl; I’m kind of sad, but really glad on the other hand.

That means she’ll treat me normally…and that’s what I want.

“No worries. I didn’t really expect everyone to know who EXO is,” I feel a vibration in my pocket.

I pull out my phone.

A text from Kris,

 

‘You better come back now. The managers are on their way to the dorm.’

 

I sigh and quickly type a reply and place my phone back into my pocket.

She looks at me questioningly.

“The managers are checking up on us so I have to leave,” I explain.

I pull out my wallet, “So how much do I owe you?”

She shakes her head, “It’s on me…as a thanks. Now my bag please?”

I hand her the bag as I stood up, “It was nice spending time with you Mieun-sshi. I’ll see you around?”

Mieun nods and picks up the empty cup, “Thanks again…for my bag…and yesterday.” 

The manager walks over, “You’re leaving? Well then, take care Jongdae-sshi! Please come back often!”

I glance at Mieun then back to the manager, “Of course…goodbye.” I bow and leave.

 Not without glancing back to the barista stand where Mieun stood a couple times. 

Lee Mieun.

It was nice meeting you…


 

Mieun’s POV

I watch as the Jongdae guy leaves.

He glances back at me a couple times but I avoid his eyes.

I check my bag for all of its contents and indeed everything was still there.

Suddenly my phone rings.

A text message? From who? This phone had a texting option?

 

Kim Jongdae-

‘Thanks for the coffee.^-^

 Next one on me?

You’re probably not into pop but you should give our new album a listen it’s called XOXO by EXO.

EXOOOOOOOO. With one O so EXO. Remember that!~

It was nice meeting you…

Good night. :)

P.S. I got your number from your phone, eheh!

 

I stare at the text with disbelief and roll my eyes.

How dare he take my number without consent!

I scroll through my contacts.

Of course…he added his number to my phone.

Highlighting his name, I select the ‘delete contact’ option.

 

‘Delete Contact?

Yes           No’

 

I hesitate…

With a sigh I cancel the deletion and place the phone into my pocket.

Kim Jongdae.

What an interesting guy…