o3. escape

Princess of SMTown
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“So I’m guessing that you’ve met all of the EXO members,” Sooman started awkwardly, side-glancing at Mikki. They were inside the car, being driven to where Mikki’s new home would be. Mikki hasn’t let a word out ever since they left the building. She was clearly avoiding conversations with Sooman because she was still very mad at her fathers. Sensing that she wouldn’t answer him, Sooman let out a disappointed sigh and he let her be.

Even with all the anger she’s been feeling, Mikki felt the guilt eating her up. Mikki and Sooman fight only once in a blue moon thus she wasn’t used to being like this with Sooman because he was the happy-go-lucky parent. She also felt scared knowing that he’s also mad at her. Sooman was different when he’s mad. Just one look from him will send tears to her eyes. Mikki thought as she grew older and from being apart from him would help her overcome her fear of an angry Sooman but she was beyond wrong.

“EXO?” she squeaked, turning to her side to face him. She thought that finally speaking up to him would lessen the tension between them.

Sooman raised a curious, yet surprised brow at her. "What? You mean you don't know them?"

‘Do I look like I know them?’ Mikki bit her tongue for a sarcastic comeback but she knew she would make things even worse if she did. Mikki shrugged her shoulders when she remembered something. "I think I heard them from somewhere before..” she mumbled, trying to gather her thoughts about the familiar name. “I think at the airport?" she said questioningly. “But I think I heard EXO-K that time and—“

"Are you kidding me?” he cut her off with a hearty laugh that surprised her. “I mean, I'm not bragging since they're still rookies but— what the heck, let me just brag about them. They're the new boy group in SM who debuted just this April and people all over the world know them! They're crazy about them! They are the hottest group in town!" Mikki unknowingly smiled at his enthusiasm, briefly forgetting the fact that they were in a fight. "I'm kinda hurt that you didn't know about my new boy group, Mikki,” he continued. “You promised that you'll always be updated whenever it's SMTown related," he pouted and crossed his arms, looking away from her.

With Sooman acting like a child just now, Mikki couldn’t help but let out a small chuckle. She always liked the fact that Sooman can still crack a few jokes here and there while their on situations like this.

Sooman smiled lovingly at his daughter after hearing her laugh. He too, felt bad for how he acted towards her but he just needed to be the parent that he should be—disciplining his child. But of course he couldn’t stay mad at his little princess. He understood why she felt so angry towards them and he couldn’t blame her for it. He knew she deserved to be mad but she crossed the line of being so disrespectful and that’s where he knew he needed to step in.

"Sorry, Appa. I haven't been updated on the k-pop world ever since last year.”

 “Because that’s the time when you started partying almost every night, right?” Sooman shook his head in disappointment. No answers were needed to confirm his question since she showed it through her actions. Of course he knew about it. Even though he and Mikki rarely talk anymore, his best friends kept him updated about her.

When she returned to L.A. after the drug incident at SM Entertainment, Mikki suffered from depression. She stopped talking to people and making friends at school. She isolated herself from everyone—even her fathers. Kijoo tried to do something about it but he failed even before attempting in doing so. He was only very thankful that she didn’t resort to drugs nor became suicidal because of it.

However, things began to change on early December last year. Mikki had asked for their permission if she could attend a house party that she got invited to and Kijoo was more than glad that she was finally letting herself be involved around people again. He didn’t have second thoughts and willingly allowed her to come to the party. Every time she asked for his permission, he would always let her go. Since he always lets her out, she stopped asking and just did whatever she wanted without letting them know.

Kijoo shared this news to his best friends and they were very happy about it at first. But Kijoo didn’t forget to tell them that it concerns him that she goes out almost every night, sometimes without his permission. They shrugged it off, agreeing that it was normal for a teenager like her to go out late at night and party with friends since they did that too when they were at her age. Kijoo let it go at first, trusting the decision he made with his friends. But he still can’t shake the feeling off, knowing that his daughter wasn’t changing for the better, but for the worse.

Kijoo finally decided to talk to her when he saw her report card. He wasn’t very happy that her A’s went down to C’s. He scolded her about it and threatened that she could lose some of her privileges if she wouldn’t start working on her grades and the only response he got from her was a groan along with her eyes rolling at him. Enraged by her lack of response, Kijoo banned her for going out and also took her gadgets away from her. Mikki couldn’t care less, thinking it was ridiculous that they treated her like a child. Besides, nothing happened since Kijoo was always away. She still continued with her new nightlife lifestyle.

“We have yet to talk about that,” Sooman said, snapping her out of her thoughts.

Mikki hesitantly looked at him. She was confused. She thought that if was going to be punished, why not punish her now?

“I’m letting it go for now because I don’t want this to be a bigger fight between us, okay?” he told her just as the car stopped in front of a high-rise building. Minwoo got out of the car and opened the door for Sooman, then for Mikki. Minwoo gave her a reassuring pat on the shoulder before going inside the car and driving off to the parking area where he would wait for Sooman.

 

.Princess of SM Town.

Chapter Three

.escape.

 

Mikki looked around her so-called new home. It was a large-sized condo unit that had three bedrooms and two bathrooms. The kitchen was quite spacious, and the living room had a huge glass wall that showcased the serene view of the area from where they were.  Sooman and Mikki continued to look around the condo in silence. She wondered why her dad picked such a large space when it was only her who would be staying there. But even though she didn’t like how big her new home was, she was very impressed at how very modern it was designed from furniture to appliances.

“Kijoo chose a nice place,” Sooman said, sitting on one of the couches in the living room, making himself comfortable.

Mikki turned away from the window and walked to where he was, “It’s pretty big for just one person, don’t you think?” she asked, taking another quick glance at her surroundings.

Sooman sighed and gave her a small smile that almost looked like he was apologizing. “Well, you know your father. He wants a house that is fitted for a family,” he said and Mikki immediately frowned at his answer. She broke eye contact avoided and turned back to the window again.

Sooman his lips guiltily when he remembered that talking about her family was a very sensitive topic for her. Mikki is actually a very fragile girl and he doesn’t know what to do anymore on how to make her feel better especially with what everything’s that’s happened for the past few days. “Princess, I’m leaving now, okay?” he said standing up and headed for the door. “You should rest now.”

Mikki bit her lip, trying to fight the tears form falling down her eyes. The last thing she wanted was to be left alone inside this place they call home. Even though she wasn’t currently pleased with Sooman, she would be glad if he would at least stay with her on her first night inside her new house or take her to his house and let her stay there instead.

She let out a shaky breath and finally turned to look at Sooman who just opened the door. Mikki swore her tears were this close to falling but she successfully held it in when she saw how sorry Sooman looked at her. She wanted to tell him it was okay but she couldn’t find her voice, knowing that she would fully break down if she did. So instead, she just nodded her head and forced a smile back.

Sooman’s heart broke as he saw her struggling with her emotions and he found it very obvious that she was fighting her tears back but he was considerate enough not to bring it up to her. “I’ll see you tomorrow at my office, okay?” he told her and bid her goodbye.

As soon as Mikki was alone, she finally let the tears out that she was holding back since they left the building. She dropped to her knees and cried and hugged herself. She hated everything that was happening right now and she most especially didn’t want to come back at the company tomorrow and see everyone.

Then she remembered the brief encounter she had with Sehun and the others a while ago. Although she expected everything to be awkward and tense, it didn’t feel anything like that. In fact, seeing them so happy and excited when they saw her made her feel warm inside. She felt the sincerity in their smiles and their hugs were so welcoming.

But she realized that they weren’t involved with the accident so of course they’d be glad to see her back. As much as she hated to admit it, she was genuinely happy to see Sehun and the others. She wondered if the others would have the same reactions too.

When she left the country three years ago, she also left her heart (her friendship with the artists) behind. She wanted to forget and she did. She never made efforts to contact anyone from South Korea except Hwansuk and Sooman. But after going back to that place, all the memories, good and bad, came back and she didn’t know if she liked it or not.

“I already said I was sorry…”

Mikki remembered the time when she followed them around and apologize countless times but all she received was a cold, “Okay,” from them. She knew that they didn’t mean it. She was deeply hurt when they shunned her away even though she proved herself clean. After trying so hard to win their trusts back and only barely succeeding, she gave up. They made it clear to her that they didn’t want anything to do with her again.

She stood up and wiped her tears away. Standing by the glass wall, she stared at the city lights blankly. “Don’t worry. I’ll make sure you guys won’t see me any time soon.”

 

.p.o.s.t.♔

 

“Sir, we can’t find her anywhere. We’re assuming that she’s not inside the building.”

“What?!” Sooman exclaimed, earning surprised looks from the people before him, his grip on his cellphone tightening. Sooman was currently in a meeting with his artists and some of the concert directors, discussing the set list and other important matters for the upcoming SMTOWN concert. Although he was seated at the very front and his artists sat at the back, starting from two rows behind him, they could clearly see and hear his frustrations and discomfort.

“Is everything alright, sir?” one of the directors who was presenting the agenda on the big screen in front of them finally asked. From the moment Sooman stepped foot inside the mini-theater where big meetings like this (when all the artists are required to attend) are held, they already noticed that something was bothering their boss. He kept on checking his watch, his phone, and he was totally unfocused all throughout the meeting. They were just understanding enough to let him be since he already went because they knew that he wouldn’t even attend the meeting if something was wrong. But his sudden outburst just confirmed that something really was wrong.

“Are you sure she isn’t there? Have you checked the rooms? Asked the guards?” he ignored the performance director and bombarded the person he was talking to with questions.

The people inside the room sent him worried looks and started asking each other what was going on in a hushed manner.

“I’ve checked every room and there was no trace of her anywhere, sir. Though I haven’t asked the guards—”

“Then go ask them now!” he yelled in annoyance causing everyone to shut up from their murmuring.

“I’ll call you again as soon as I get any information.”

Sooman ended the call and sighed out in frustration. He removed his glasses and pinched the bridge of his nose, trying to calm himself down. When he opened his eyes, he noticed that everyone was quietly staring at him with worried and confused looks. “I’m sorry,” he said. “Let’s take a break, shall we?”

The director blinked in surprise but complied at his boss’ request. “We’ll be back in ten..” he glanced at Sooman to ask for approval which t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter