Shielding You

[3] encounters

Image

»  That night, Hayoung sits on her bed with her black rimmed glasses resting on the bridge of her nose. She takes out her journal and starts jotting down her thoughts on her day.

Today, I have found out who Prince Oh Sehun is. Geez, I’m stupid, aren’t I? Not keeping up with the royalists around here.

“Hayoung,” The familiar voice knocks on the door as her head shoots up, glancing at the door. “The door is open,” She replies as she closes her book and places it under her pillow.

Opening the door, reveals her older brother, Jimin, from this morning. Wearing a sleeveless white shirt and black pajama shorts, he crosses his arms and raises an eyebrow, “Namjoo told me you didn’t know who Prince Oh Sehun was.”

A light shade of pink flushes her cheeks as she mirrors his actions with her arms, “S-So? It was a mistake…” Jimin laughs and sits on the edge of her bed, “Oh Hayoung, you’re really something. It’s like you’re always off in your own world sometimes.”

Park Jimin and Oh Hayoung—they’re different surnames, right? Hayoung was adopted ever since she was a baby, but she never knew the reason why. When she was ten, the question of her different surname suddenly came up and that was when her parents formally announced that she wasn’t their child. However, her parents definitely take care of her like she was born into the family.

“Look, since you’re a first year, let me give you some advice,” Jimin starts as he rests his left ankle on his right knee, “You need to start making yourself known. Whether you’re a commoner, royalist, bodyguard, whatever a person is, you need to make yourself known.”

“Is that why you were able to hang out with royalists? Because you made yourself known?” Hayoung asks as she brings her knees up to her chest, looking at him. He nods and smiles, “Exactly. However, I’m still the same person I am from middle school and before. This high school—it’s way different from other high schools. People compete, they try to be the best. You know, some people are already talking about you: the girl that was trampled by her fellow classmates.”

Her cheeks flushes again as she sighs quietly, “Well, I’m definitely getting to school earlier now. I don’t want to be caught in that swarm ever again.” Jimin laughs, “But you and Namjoo are also known as the girls who are close to Naeun and Yookyung, so it does help. Naeun is technically one of the top girls in the third year so you’ll definitely have some reputation.”

“But is reputation really everything?” Hayoung questions as she feels her glasses starting to slip off, her finger propping it back up. Stunned, Jimin smiles lightly and stands up, ruffling the younger’s hair, “No, but it’s just some advice. You can always be yourself, Hayoung. Now get some sleep if you want to go to school earlier.”

Hayoung smiles warmly and nods, “Good night, Jimin oppa.”

-

The next morning, a swarm of girls from all grades surround the carriage of Prince Oh Sehun once again. “It’s worse than last time,” Jongin breathes lowly as he hits his head against the carriage, “This is worse if we ever have to go to war…” Sehun lightly punches his bodyguard’s arm and shakes his head, “C’mon, let’s just get this over with…”

Jongin takes a deep breath and cracks his neck and knuckles, “Alright. Here we go.” Opening the door, a huge rush of wind enters, the never-ending echoes of the girls bleeding their ears. Jongin steps on the ground and immediately girls places their hands on him. What the heck? Why are they on me?

“Jongin! You’re so manly!” Girls scream as his eyes widen in shock. W-Wait, what?! “Sehun, run!” Jongin shouts as he pushes the girls’ hands away from him, running immediately. Sehun gulps and jumps off the carriage, running through the path.

“They’re crazy!” Sehun shouts as both males run for their lives as girls starts chasing them. “We have to find someplace,” Jongin mutters to himself as he finds an empty classroom, opening the door and immediately kneeling down. Sehun trails behind him and closes the door, sitting on the floor to let the girls pass.

Panting in fear and shock, both males hears the heavy footsteps dissipate. “That was close,” Sehun breathes as he leans his head back on the door. Jongin gulps and looks around the door, immediately letting his back hit the door as he sees a girl looking straight at them.

“Hey, what class is this?” Jongin whispers to his friend as Sehun mutters, “First year…”

“Crap…” Jongin gulps and whispers again, “There’s a girl in here.” Sehun’s eyes shoot open as he looks straight ahead, seeing a girl sitting at her desk diligently. Her black rimmed glasses stand out as she runs a hand through her long dark brown hair.

“Y-You won’t—attack us, right?” Sehun says as the girl nods slowly and turns her attention from outside the window. Both of the males’ eyes widen as a wave of relief hits him. It was the first girl from the first year to not flail, squeal, or shout at them.

“The coast is clear,” She whispers as she doesn’t keep eye contact with them, tapping her finger gently on the desk. Jongin stands up slowly and looks through the windows, nodding, “It is. Let’s get going, Sehun.” Sehun stands up and takes one last look at the girl before Jongin pulls him away. He wasn’t able to get a clear view of who she was due to her glasses and her back facing him.

So that’s what Prince Sehun looks like… The girl thinks as she watches the tree’s leaves break away from its branches. “Hey, Hayoung,” A fellow classmates walks inside as she sits in the front row, “You’re here early today.”

Hayoung blinks and smiles, bowing her head, “Ah, hello. I just wanted to make sure that I’d be on time today.” And not get caught in that evil group…

-

After school, Hayoung and Namjoo walks out the gates with their arms locked, wide smiles appearing on their faces. “Hey, Hayoung, Namjoo!” Naeun calls out from her carriage as Yookyung sits beside her, both of them waving. “Want a ride to the café? Yookyung is performing later on tonight!” Naeun offers as both girls look at each other, nodding. They immediately get inside with murmurs from other classmates observing.

“I’m so glad school started on Thursday. It’s finally Friday and we can stay out,” Naeun sighs contently and stretches her arms out. Yookyung smiles softly as piano arrangements are laid on her lap, studying for tonight’s performance.

“You’ll do fine,” Hayoung reassures as she sits across from the two princesses with Namjoo beside her. “I’ll be doing my best,” Yookyung nods as her eyes never leave the paper.

Arriving at the café, Hayoung and Namjoo smiles at each other as they walk inside. It was where they first met. Hayoung just applied as a waitress and Namjoo was supposed to train her. They had such a bond that it led them as best friends soon after. Commoners had to work early just to survive and Hayoung exactly followed those footsteps, to thank her parents for bringing her into the family.

“Hey, Hayoung and Namjoo! Do you guys want to work tonight? You two can have an extra pay,” The manager calls out as both girls nod happily. Naeun and Yookyung sit down by the window, immediately ordering their usual drinks and food. This was where all four of them met actually. Naeun and Yookyung were venturing in the town one evening and they stumbled upon this café due to the aroma of the coffee. When they went inside there were two girls waitressing for the shift and when the café was empty with just four of them, they immediately grew acquainted with each other. The friendship of these four girls flourished within that one year of knowing each other and they all consider each other sisters despite the difference in social statuses.

That evening, Yookyung’s performance blew everyone away. People were laughing and conversing softly to each other, setting this lively and warm aura. Naeun claps as Yookyung finishes her piano arrangement, making her way back to her friend.

Hayoung and Namjoo continue serving, but nods at Yookyung as a way of saying good job.

School was slowly starting to stress Hayoung out as the weeks went by, but her friends and optimism helped her through. She gained the best grades in her classroom despite the amount of royalists in her class. However, is the effect good or bad that she gained a smart title?

 

Image

» author's ramblings:   [ June 20, 2013] Third chapter is up! ^^ Just a little backstory of how the girls met and also a first meeting of Hayoung and the boys :D sobs The amount of things I imagined and plotted for this story are really into gear so I think I'll be able to update this easily xD I should really start working on the requests for my exopink one shot collection though xD I hope you guys enjoy this chapter! Thank you for all the subscribers and comments! ^^ <3

» layout credit