6. A Memory

Afterlife's Forgiveness

Eugh! Finally! XD

I have something ready for this story

I'm sorry for taking so long DX

I don't even want to think about how long it's been since the last update

But whatever! I have something now

I hope you enjoy ^^

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 5


 

“Hello?” Kevin and Yumi heard Hoon ask, as him and Kiseop were waving their hands in front of their faces. The two snapped out of their thoughts.

 

“What?” Kevin asked, finally coming back to reality.

 

“You two have been standing still here for the past 5 minutes.” Hoon pointed out.

 

“5 minutes?! We have to go!” Yumi exclaimed pushing them to go and started to sprint down the sidewalk.

 

“Come on.” Kevin started to follow her. Hoon and Kiseop sighed and reluctantly followed the two.

 

“Ugh, see this was why I wanted to hurry!” Yumi complained pulling a number from the machine for herself and the other three. The room was packed with people now, long lines.

 

“We’re gonna be here for hours..” Kevin sighed taking his number from Yumi.

 

“And who do we have to thank for this?” She handed Hoon and Kiseop their numbers. The two took them from her and pouted. They found seats to sit in and waited for their numbers to be called.

 

It was about an hour later, the four had been patiently waiting as people were called ahead of them. Finally Yumi’s number was called and she got up. Heading over she explained all she needed was a photo ID.

 

“If that was all you needed, you could have just sat over there and they would have waited on you sooner.” The woman behind the class informed her.

 

“Really?” Yumi looked over to where she pointed to see people getting their photo taken, the line moving at a nice pace.

 

“You must have not been listening, I’m sorry.” The woman apologized seeing how frustrated Yumi looked at this info.

 

“I mean it wouldn’t have been as bad if I didn’t have jerks as company.” She grabbed her papers and turned around. She headed back to Kevin and the other two. “Follow me.” She muttered quietly and headed over to the other area.

 

Kevin got up with his papers to follow. Halfway there he looked back over his shoulder to see Kiseop and Hoon still sitting there, they apparently didn’t pay attention when Yumi came by. He walked back over to them and waved his papers in their faces startling them. The woman who tended to Yumi saw this and couldn’t help but laugh a little at the sight.

 

They all stood in line as people were getting their pictures taken for their IDs. There were only a few more people in front of them now.

 

“What do we do after this?” Kevin asked curious.

 

“I haven’t thought that far ahead yet. I suppose we’ll go have a look around town and get familiar with our surroundings. Can’t afford to get lost every day.” She explained as the person in front of her went up.

 

“Well can we go get something to eat first after this?” Hoon asked impatiently.

 

“Yes, we can.” She nodded.

 

“Next.” The person called out, Kevin signaled it was her turn. She turned and headed around the curtain. “Hello.” The man greeted with a dazzling smile.

 

“Hi.” She returned his smile taking a seat.

 

“Oh my, you are so adorable!” He exclaimed.

 

“Uhhh thanks?” She chuckled nervously at his outburst. “That was weird, usually the people here are mean.”

 

She handed over her papers and he nodded with a happy smile.

 

“So this is her, Yumi.” Demon Soohyun grinned looking up. “Go ahead and get ready for your picture.” He motioned for her to stand up as he got up to get behind the camera. She stood there looking at the camera. “Now smile big dear!” Soohyun cheered from behind the camera.

 

“Er, okay.” She tried to force on a smile, making her look awkward.

 

“Very good, looking awkward.” He chuckled.

 

“Eh!” Yumi frowned.

 

“It’s okay, don’t worry, just try to relax.” He assured her holding in his laughter. “Aish so cute!” He shook his head getting back being the camera.

 

“Just smile Yumi.” She heard Kevin say behind the curtain.

 

“I can’t possible force a genuine smile, gah!” She complained.

 

“Fine let me help you.” Kevin spoke again, just then she heard a slap.

 

“OW! What was that for?!” Hoon complained.

 

“I just slapped Hoon in the face, smile now.” Kevin chuckled. Right away Yumi smiled about to laugh, Soohyun snapped the picture quickly.

 

“All done!” Soohyun smiled staring at her picture on the screen.

 

“I’m so happy right now.” Yumi joked nodding.

 

“Oh really?” Soohyun raised a brow as she quietly giggled, imagining Kevin slapping Hoon in the face.

 

“I’m glad my suffering entertains you.” Hoon spoke annoyed behind the curtain.

 

“Are the next three her team members? If so, this means they all don’t get along that well huh? Interesting.” Soohyun thought to himself. Being part of the B.A.D, his teacher is able to pull strings in this world to help his students complete their missions, making Soohyun a temporary clerk at the DMV today was one of them.

 

Moving on, he took the other three’s photos. Kevin had no problems with his photo nor did Hoon. When it came to Kiseop.

 

“Has anyone ever told you how pretty you are?” Soohyun teased looking at Kiseop through the camera.

 

“Yah!” Kiseop frowned taking his compliment as an insult. Soohyun’s finger slipped and snapped the picture. Angry Kiseop face displayed on the screen.

 

“Oh! I’m sorry, seems my finger slipped.” Soohyun apologized holding in his laughter. It was truly an accident.

 

“Are you serious?!” Kiseop exclaimed.

 

“I’m sorry, I’d take another shot if I could, but unfortunately people are still waiting behind you.” He teased.

 

“No! That’s not fair, it’s your fault it came out that way!” Kiseop complained.

 

“Fine, fine okay. I was just messing with you girly.” He laughed.

 

“YAH!” Kiseop stomped his foot.

 

“Oh come now, don’t mess up the second shot, cause I’m sure not giving you a third.”

 

“I love this clerk.” Yumi giggled as she, Kevin and Hoon stood nearby. Hoon shook his head as Kevin laughed along with her.

 

Finally Kiseop finished his shot. He came over to him looking grumpy. Yumi walked back over and tapped on the window to get Soohyun’s attention before he was about to call the next person in line. He had only 20 minutes left before he could leave this job.

 

“Thanks for your hard work!” She waved with a smile.

 

“Sure, no problem.” He nodded waving happily back.

 

“Good luck with the rest of your work, we’re leaving now.” She pointed to the exit.

 

“Thank you, have a nice day!” He smiled watching her leave. “She reminds me so much of my little sister…” He thought sadly watching her exit the DMV. “Why does she have to be an enemy?”  He sighed getting lost in his thoughts.

 

***

 

Walking down the streets again, the four were looking for a place to eat. Everyone was indecisive about what they wanted to eat besides Yumi who just wanted Pizza. Hoon wanted Meat, while Kiseop wanted Kimchi, while Kevin wanted Noodles.

 

“Guys just agree on something already.” She sighed as they were getting close to restaurants, the smell of food in the air making them even more hungry.

 

“Why can’t we just have meat, protein!” Hoon argued.

 

“I’d rather have that for dinner.” Kevin pointed out.

 

“Then how about Kimchi?” Kiseop asked.

 

“Isn’t there a place that sells all of this?” Kevin sighed shaking his head.

 

“Well I guess since we really can’t decide, maybe her choice of Pizza would be better.” Hoon admitted as they stopped walking.

 

“Yeah I suppose you’re right, we all like Pizza right?” Kiseop nodded.

 

“Yeah, okay, we’ll go get pizza instead. That okay with you?” Kevin turned around to find their leader gone. “Where’d she go?” He looked around quickly.

 

“She was just behind us a second ago!” Hoon looked around.

 

“There she is!” Kiseop pointed behind Kevin, he turned around to catch a glimpse of her striped shirt entering a cafe a few stores down.

 

Yumi entered a cafe without the others, she grew tired of their arguing and decided to go find something on her own. “I’m sure they can find their way back to the dorm… hopefully..” She thought taking a seat up at the counter.

 

“Why hello there beautiful.” The waiter came over with a cat like smile.

 

“Oh great, not another one.” She took a breath, “Hi.” and smiled.

 

“What can I get for you?” He pulled his pen out to take her order.

 

“Uhm,” She looked up at the menu. Scanning the Menu she spotted the desert items first, seeing chocolate cake her face lit up. “Chocolate cake.” She said quickly.

 

“Nice choice, anything else?” He chuckled.

 

“Erm…” She tapped a finger on her lips thinking.

 

“Your thinking face is pretty cute.” He complimented making her blush.

 

“Thanks.” She nodded nervous about staying here now. “I don’t have time for guys to be flirting with me like this.” She thought looking up at the menu again, ordering something to drink. “A strawberry smoothie.” She nodded.

 

“Okay, coming right up.” He smiled before leaving her at the counter. “So this must be her? Haven’t gotten her name yet though. Soohyun should have since they were just at the DMV…” Demon AJ thought to himself preparing her smoothie.

 

Just then he heard the bell alerting more customers coming in. “Aish, why do there have to be so many people at this hour, I’m just here to get info on the Angels.” He thought getting annoyed. Returning to his customer with her cake and smoothie he noticed 3 guys walking up behind her.

 

“This is where you went?” Hoon complained.

 

“I thought you wanted Pizza?” Kiseop joined.

 

“Guys knock it off.” Kevin scolded them.

 

“Is there a problem?” AJ sat the cake and smoothie down in front of her.

 

“What are you eating! That can not be your lunch!” Hoon exclaimed.

 

“And why not, I can have cake for lunch if I want!” She turned around looking up at them annoyed.

 

“You’re gonna spoil your lunch.” Kiseop pointed out.

 

“What lunch? You guys couldn’t decide on what to eat anyway.” She turned back to her cake.

 

“But we did, we agreed to your idea of Pizza.” Kevin spoke just as she was about to take a bit.

 

“Pizza?” She stopped.

 

“You didn’t pay yet right?” Kiseop stepped forward.

 

“I can eat this and Pizza, just hold your horses, gah!” She took the bite.

 

They all took seats at the counter next to her to wait while she finished her slice of cake and smoothie.

 

“Are you almost done?” Hoon asked getting impatient since he was getting hungrier.

 

“Almost.” She sighed taking sip of her smoothie.

 

“Are you just going to sit there and drink it? Can’t you take it with you?” Kiseop noticed.

 

“Uh fine!” She pulled out the money and sat it down on the counter. “Here, keep the change.” She told AJ while getting up with her smoothie with an annoyed look. “Guys are a pain.” She muttered before turning to leave. The three followed her out afterwards. “That was interesting. I assume that was her team, and by the looks of it, they don’t get along.” AJ thought to himself watching them exit.

 

***

 

Eli, Eun-Mi and Dongho were walking down the sidewalk waiting to hear from Soohyun or AJ. Dongho had become hungry, so they were on their way to get something to eat.

 

“Soohyun should have contacted us by now.” Eun-Mi spoke up as they were getting near a Pizza joint.

 

“Well, how is he suppose to contact us anyway?” Eli pointed out. Eun-Mi stopped in her footsteps.

 

“I didn’t even think of that!” She face palmed her forehead cursing under her breath.

 

“Maybe we should look into getting some sort of communication, you know.. like a cell phone.” Eli said nonchalant.

 

“Thanks for the suggestion.” She sighed not amused as they entered the PIzza restaurant.

 

Entering they were seated, Dongho ordered the pizza while Eun-Mi thought about the communication issue.

 

“I suppose we could get disposable phones, the pre-paid ones, that way we’re not into a contract and can end the the service once we’re done here in the Human World.” Eun-Mi said quietly as they were waiting for their Pizza.

 

Just then she heard a familiar voice, looking around she spotted the source. Yumi and her team had come in for pizza as well, though it didn’t seem like they were exactly happy about it.

 

“If you don’t want to eat pizza, then go somewhere else and I’ll meet you at home.” Yumi sighed heading over to the counter to order a to go pizza.

 

“Fine, I’ll do just that.” Hoon said annoyed exiting the restaurant, Kiseop leaving with him.

 

“No I can eat in peace.” She joked while Kevin laughed with her.

 

“Looks like they don’t get along.” Dongho spoke up taking a bite of his pizza.

 

“Appears so, I wonder why?” Eli leaned back in his seat watching the two Angels from his seat, his eyes remained on Kevin. A ton of flashbacks flashed before his eyes.

 

~Flashback~

 

Eli was in his car driving, his best friend Kevin sitting in the passenger seat. They had just left a party early because of drama. Eli wasn’t speaking to Kevin at the moment due to this drama, the drama of his girlfriend dumping him and confessing her love to Kevin right before his very eyes.

 

“Come on Eli, don’t be like this.” Kevin frowned as Eli kept his eyes on the road with an angry expression.

 


“Shut up.” Eli muttered.

 

“I’m sorry she did that to you, but I told you from the beginning something seemed fishy about her..” Kevin tried to reason with him. “I never once thought of her as anything more than a friend, heck I didn’t even want to be friends with her but she kept insisting. Don’t be mad at me please.”

 

“How can I not be mad at you, I mean yeah you didn’t try to do anything with her but I just hate that all the girls I get with end up dumping me for you!”

 

“I don’t understand that either.” Kevin sighed.

 

“It seems like if I ever want a girl to stay with me, I have to dump you as a friend.”

 

“You… don’t seriously think you should do that right?”

 

“I don’t want to! That’s the thing… if I stick with you, I may as well be single for the rest of my life, because they’re all going to be wanting you instead.”

 

“Not all of the girls you will meet will be like this, don’t think like that, I’m sure there’s a girl out there that wants you and only you.”

 

“She probably doesn’t even exist in this world..” Eli clicked his tongue.

 

“Eli..”

 

“I really like her this time…. and because of you, she’s gone.”

 

“Eli..”

 

“I’m done with this.. I can’t go on like this anymore Kevin..”

 

 

“No Eli, don’t …” Kevin frowned feeling hurt, he knew what he was going to say.

 

“We’re… We’re not friends anymore.. Kevin.” Eli turned to look at his friends sad expression on his face. Feeling a sharp pain seeing Kevin’s face so heartbroken like that he looked away immediately remembering he was driving. His eyes widened as a semi’s horn honked loudly, but it was too late.

 

~End Flashback~


 

“Hey… Hello?” A hand waved in front of Eli’s face snapping him back to reality.

 

“Uh?”

 

“You’ve been staring over there for awhile.” Dongho pointed out.

 

He shook his head and faced the table.

 

“You okay?” Eun-Mi noticed a faint sad expression on his face.

 

“I’m fine..” He didn’t look at them. “Kevin…. if I hadn’t.. maybe we would still be alive.”

 

~Kevin and Yumi~

 

As the two stood at the counter waiting for the pizza, Kevin looked around and spotted a familiar face looking at him right away. Eli…

 

“Eli..” Kevin mumbled quietly staring right back at him.

 

“Huh? Did you say something?” Yumi turned around looking up to see Kevin’s back facing her. “Uhh?” She noticed he was looking at someone across the room, “Hey, didn’t we see that guy earlier, and he was with Eun-Mi too…?”

 

“Your order is ready Miss Yukita.” The clerk spoke up startling her a bit. “Oh sorry, didn’t mean to scare you.” The clerk noticed.

 

“It’s okay, don’t worry, thanks.” She assured him grabbing her order. “C’mon Kevin, pizza’s ready.” She started walking off to the other side in hopes to avoid the familiar face. Looking back curiously, Kevin hadn’t moved. “Kevin… Hey…!” She said quietly calling over to him. She walked over and tugged on his arm getting worried why he looked so frozen staring over at the guy, who was also looking frozen staring at Kevin.

 

“Kevin..” She tugged some more worried. He finally snapped out of it and looked down to her seeing her worried expression.

 

“Uh? What is it?” He turned towards her to avoid looking at Eli again.

 

“You were just standing there staring.. almost like you were frozen.”

 

“Sorry..” He apologized.

 

“Need to sit down for a sec? Let’s go over here.” She pulled him by the wrist to a nearby booth.

 

“I thought we were going home.” He was confused.

 

“We can sit for a few minutes, looks like you need it..” She still had that worried expression on her face.

 

“I’m fine though.” He assured her with a fake smile.

 

“No, you don’t seem fine.”

 

“I’m really fine though.”

 

“Did you see something? I mean I noticed when I saw a memory you were trying to snap me out of it too.”

 

He remembered that first day in the heavens when she was just standing there staring off into the distance frozen.

 

“A memory?” He spoke as bits and pieces from the flashback he had just saw came into mind. Not even realizing it, his face turned sad.

 

“You okay?” She reached over placing a hand on his. “He looks so sad right now, I wonder what he saw?”

 

“I’m fine.. really.” He forced a smile. “We should go before the Pizza gets cold.” He stood up not giving her any chances of stopping him. She had no choice but to get up and sprint after him.

 

Walking home he seemed to get lost in thoughts a lot.

 

“Either you need to take a break or walk into oncoming traffic!” Yumi stopped him from walking across the street while the green light was on. He shook his head in shock that he had almost did that.

 

“Seriously, what’s wrong.” She kept a hold on his wrist.

 

“It’s nothing. I’ll pay more attention I promise.” He shook his head again.

 

“I don’t trust you.” She narrowed her eyes.

 

“Why not.” He noticed.

 

“You keep saying you’re fine when you’re obviously not. I can’t risk you getting hit by a car, so since you won’t tell me what’s wrong… Hold my hand until we get home.” She held her hand out.

 

“Hold your hand?” He looked offended. “I’m not a little kid!”

 

“Then tell me what’s wrong.” She raised a brow. “Which is easier?”

 

He thought about it. “Well I suppose it’d be okay to tell her, but now that I think about it, she didn’t tell me when I asked her. How can that be fair. Even so, maybe I’ll tell her later. I don’t really want to think of it right now. And it might be a wise move to hold her hand just incase I space out again. I can’t cause trouble for her…”

 

“Fine.” He grabbed her hand with a small pout, even though on the inside he was happy that she was helping him out.

 

“Good boy, we’ll be home before you know it.” She smiled as if she were talking to a little kid.

 

“Yah..” He didn’t look amused by her teasing.

 

“Now off we go.” She giggled as the crosswalk light came on. He sighed with a small smile while she wasn’t looking and they headed home.