Progress

StoryBook

I came out of the office and saw Rome still at the counter. His smile spread across his face while attending to the needs of the customers.

“Hey you!” I heard him calling out.

I stopped in my tracks but continued when I thought, maybe it wasn’t me he was calling.

“You with the blue cardigan!” He called out again.

I froze in my tracks and realized I was actually wearing a blue cardigan. I glanced behind and saw Rome looking towards me.

I turned around to face him.

“Me?” I mouthed to him.

He nodded and held my story book in mid air, “You forgot this.”

I looked at my hands and found out that they were empty. I rubbed my nape and smiled sheepishly.

“Erm, thank you,” I took the book from him.

“Rome,” he extended a hand.

“Eoh?” I looked at him. “Eve,” I felt blood rushed to my face as I took his hand.

“New trainee?” he asked.

“Mmhmm,” I nod with a smile.

“Tomorrow at 7 right?” he asked again.

“Yup, at 7,” I answered.

The whole conversation was so awkward. It was just him questioning me and in return, I had to answer him.

“Here’s your change, thank you,” he smiled at the customer.

I was still there, leaning against the wall, observing him working.

Finally I broke the silence after a long pause.

“I’m sorry but what time is it now?” I leaned against the counter.

“It’s 12.15 in the afternoon,” he glanced at his wrist watch. “Are you rushing off to somewhere?”

I shook my head and gave a small smile. Of course not. I’ve got nowhere to go. I don’t even know where I am. Well at least, one of the questions has been locked with an answer.

“Oh and, what’s the date today?” I looked at him.

“It’s the twenty sixth of May,” he smiled.

Twenty sixth? Hmmm.. Seems like a familiar date is drawing near.

“Sorry to bother you. Call me weird, but where am I exactly?” I hoped for an answer.

He chuckled. I lifted an eyebrow in confusion.

“Don’t worry, kid,” he smiled. “Most people get lost here in this town. That’s why it’s ‘Everlost Street’,” he chuckled.

Everlost Street? Wait! That sounds familiar. But..Why do people get lost here? I’ve come across such a place but..

“Eve..? Evie,” Rome waved his hand in front of my face.

“…Huh?” my chain of thoughts broke.

“You’re at Everlost Street, Evie,” he smiled.

“Oh.. Thank you,” I returned his smile with a grateful one. “It’s Eve by the way.”

“I know, but I’m comfortable using ‘Evie’,” he chuckled.

My cheeks felt warm. Evie… Just like how oppa used to call me.

“I’ll make my way out now,” I stated, loud enough for him to hear.

“Yeah, see you soon. Perhaps, tomorrow,” Rome smiled.

I gave a little nod and turned to go.

“Wait!” he called out again. “Have something at least. It’s lunch time now”.

Rome jogged into the kitchen and came out with a slice of coffee bread and a cup of cappuccino. He handed out to me, gesturing I should take it.

“B-But I..” I looked at him in shock. I didn’t have a penny with me. How was I supposed to pay?

“It’s on me.”

“Thank you,” I bowed. “So much,” I murmured.

 


 

AmyMIr ; I apologise for the delay of the updates to the story. Hope you enjoyed the updated chapter. Let me know what you think of the 'Progress' so far in the comment box below. :)