Missing Everything

StoryBook

I wrapped myself tightly with my already wet cardigan. The wind blew harshly sending shivers down my spine. I chattered and shivered as I crouched down in a deserted alley. It was dark and eerie but I could not be bothered much about evil spirits haunting me and wished for more warmth incoming.

My hair was dripping wet and my clothes were soaked. I lowered my head and started sobbing hard.

My life was good. Not too luxurious, not too poor; just right. I had parents who would ground me for a month and still buy me my favourite Korean pop group’s merchandise. After all, they love and trust me although I would constantly disappoint them with my playful personality who would care less about heavy responsibilities. I was not like my eonni and oppa. In that sense, they accepted their daughter, just the way she was.

I had an eonni and an oppa who would bully me at every opportunity they have but at the end of the day, we would cuddle closely together and watch our favourite cartoon show at midnight with a blanket around us with me in the middle.

My body trembled as I sobbed harder at the thought of my best friend.

She was just like any other teenager. She loved gadgets and was a sporty type. She hated shopping for clothes and make ups and would rather have a jogging date with me while enjoying nature. She was like my reflection in the mirror. What brought us more closer was books. Such bookworms we are but every weekend, we would set a time, just the two of us borrowing books from the library.

What made me wailed was that the story book I’m holding onto at the moment was her recommendation. Every little things of happiness from me was taken away when I turned the page to 115 and read the first sentence.

Everything will change and you will try to find happiness in every aspect you can,” I cursed under my breath as I tried to read the sentence from the book over and over again hoping the environment around me would change and I would be lying on my bed, cuddling my bolster with Spongebob Squarepants on it. Yes, I am still that childish.

A small part of me was cursing my bestfriend to her death but trying hard to refrain because I believe it wasn’t her intention to send me off to such a place.

My head caught a weight and I found myself leaning against the wall. I inhaled deeply and I sighed. It had been a few minutes after the heavy rain stopped and I thought maybe I could take a nap and continue my journey in this unknown place after I regained my energy.

My stomach growled in hunger and my throat quenched of thirst. My fingers wrinkled and my sneakers squeaked underneath my feet. What got worse was that, I started to sneeze uncontrollably.

“Ahchoo!” it echoed through the alley.

I groaned as I rubbed my nose.

“Stop doing that honey, you’ll become a red nose deer,” Omma used to say with a chuckle.

“More like a red nose elf,” Oppa used to tease, bursting with laughter.

“She’ll be cuter if she were to wear layers of jackets and would look like a humpty dumpty with those red nose,” Eonni used to add on and high-fived oppa.

I would pout at the dining table for breakfast and crossed my arms and blame myself for having sinus every morning.

“Oh stop teasing the maknae you two. I bet she’s cute just the way she is,” Appa used to defend me as he comes down from the room, ruffling my hair and pecks my cheek with a whisper of ‘Good Morning, Sunshine’.

Ahchoo!

“Oh c’mon, Appa. We’re kidding,” Eonni said while passing me a box of tissue, in which she meant her sincerity well.

“Thank you,” I muttered before sneezing into the tissue with a loud blow.

“I’m sorry…” I sniffed.

“Bless you,” the whole family would say, laughing.

My eyes sting as the tears were threatening to fall. I had to admit, I missed them more than ever.