Hitotsu•

To The Underworld

 

 

 

‘Baby,’ called out Baekhyun, ‘that show you wanted to see, it’s on. Stop with the cooking for a while and come watch it.’

When Baekhyun didn’t get any response, he tried again, ‘I don’t think it’ll air again. This is the last time, come on. Pause the cooking and come.’

Still no response.  Did he run out to grab something from the market? I didn’t hear the door open or close though, thought Baekhyun. ‘Kyungsoo?’ he called out. When he still got no answer, Baekhyun got a little worried. Kyungsoo wasn’t the type to ignore anyone.

Baekhyun threw off the blanket covering his legs and got off the couch. ‘Baby?’ he called out again while going to the kitchen. What he saw in the kitchen was undoubtedly the worst, most horrifying sight of his life. There lay Kyungsoo, the love of his life, on the kitchen floor with his eyes closed, unmoving. ‘KYUNGSOO!’ yelled Baekhyun and rushed to Kyungsoo’s side. He put his ear over Kyungsoo’s mouth to hear whether he was breathing or not. He couldn’t hear anything. ‘No, no, no, NO!! NO! NO!’

Baekhyun started administering CPR. He compressed Kyungsoo’s chest multiple times and blew air into his mouth. ‘C’mon. C’mon, Do Kyungsoo. C’mon,’ he said as he gave another round. He blew air into Kyungsoo’s mouth; but deep down, he knew, it was no use.

His shoulders sagged and he fell down; half over Kyungsoo and half on the floor. His chest rose and fell as violent sobs erupted, deep from his gut. He pulled his head back and wiped away the tears that fell on Kyungsoo’s face. Then he kissed Kyungsoo; the one he loved, the one who won’t be with him anymore. He pressed his lips with more force, down on Kyungsoo’s and starting crying harder when he didn’t receive the pressure he was expecting.

This time he didn’t bother wiping away the tears from Kyungsoo’s face and instead wrapped his arms around the dead body and started crying. Hard. His sobs shook both the bodies. He was sure the neighbours would hear. But the thing is, he didn’t care. He didn’t care even if the whole world could hear him. He had the right to lament his loss.

He continued crying. He moved over and sat down on the kitchen floor. ‘YAH!’ he shouted and grabbed Kyungsoo’s collar and shook him hard, ‘DO KYUNGSOO!! ING WAKE UP! DON’T DO THIS TO ME! WAKE UP YOU STUPID KID! I LOVE YOU, WAKE UP! Please.’ Baekhyun succumbed to tears again.

He lay down next to Kyungsoo and intertwined his fingers with Kyungsoo’s. In between sobs and hiccups, he whispered into Kyungsoo’s ear, ‘How will I look into those huge eyes now? How will I see the blush creep into your cheeks when I’m about to kiss you? How will I hear your mesmerizing voice again? How will I hear your tinkling laugh again? Who will spend hours in the kitchen, just to prepare food to my liking? Who will my hair and hum me a lullaby when I fall asleep? Who will massage my shoulders when I’m tired? Who will I talk to the entire night? Who will I walk with down the lane at night? Who will I play with? Who will put their arms around me and make me feel at home? Who will love me now? And how will I let you know how much I love you? Do Kyungsoo, get up, I beg you. There is so much I have to tell you, so much I have to experience with you. I have a whole life left ahead of me that I planned to spend with you. What will I do now?’

‘How will I live now?’

*

 

Baekhyun put the glass down on the counter heavily. A bit too heavily. It broke. The bartender looked at Baekhyun, annoyance obvious on his face, ‘That’s the seventh glass you broke.’ ‘I’ll pay for that, you !’ snapped Baekhyun, slurring his words.

The bartender just rolled his eyes and muttered, ‘Newbies.’  Baekhyun heard him and answered in a loud voice, ‘Yeah I’m a newbie. I don’t drink much. Know why?’ The bartender wasn’t paying him any attention but Baekhyun continued talking anyway, too drunk to notice, ‘because Kyungsoo told me not to.’

 Baekhyun’s voice softened at Kyungsoo’s mention, ‘My baby told me it’s bad for health. That I won’t be able to differentiate between what is real and what is made up my mind,’ Baekhyun paused, and swayed a bit on his stool and smiled, ‘he was really smart. And a really good cook. He’d cook me all these fantastic dishes and we’d just sit and look at the stars and then we’d-’ The bartender interrupted him, ‘Hey buddy, no one’s interested in what your “baby” was good at-’ ‘THAT’S BECAUSE YOU ALL ARE DUMB S!’ ‘-so why don’t you pay for your drinks and the seven broken glass and go home?’

Baekhyun sneered at the bartender and took out his wallet. He opened it, and took out all the money inside. It was quite a lot and far exceeded his payment. He threw the money at the bartender’s face, ‘Here’s your precious money, . Enjoy. I’m outta here.’ The bartender, instead of getting insulted at the way Baekhyun was treating him, started counting the money.

Baekhyun staggered to the exit. On his way, he passed three young girls. All three of them wore sunglasses, even though they were in a club. They all were young, in their early 20’s, yet their hair was all grey. They wore Greek-inspired themed clothes. Baekhyun accidently bumped into one of them. He turned to look back; but instead of apologizing, he burst out laughing, ‘You three have the worst style ever! And your hair! It’s all grey. Nobody has grey hair, not even the old folks, you outdated, pathetic girls.’

He turned back to the exit when one of them placed a hand on his shoulder, ‘Do you want Kyungsoo back?’ Even though extremely drunk, Kyungsoo’s name suddenly made him much more alert, ‘Are you three stalkers?’ he asked. ‘No,’ replied one of them with a faint smile, ‘but we can help you get Kyungsoo back. Your boyfriend died this afternoon and you used alcohol, even though he disliked it, to get your mind off of the one you just lost yet love deeply, no?’

Baekhyun just stared at the three girls, ‘Who are you guys?’ ‘We’re the Fates,’ replied one of them, ‘we see everything. Know everything. We know what you desire. And how to attain it. We know all there is to know.’ Something told Baekhyun that she wasn’t bluffing.

‘So, you were telling me how I can get Kyungsoo back?’ asked Baekhyun, urgency seeping into his voice. ‘Yes,’ replied one of the Fates, ‘but you must make a journey to get him back. A dangerous journey.’ ‘Anything,’ replied Baekhyun willingly.

‘All the souls of the Dead go to the Underworld. You must journey to the Underworld to get your precious Kyungsoo back,’ told one of the Fates. ‘But,’ continued another, ‘be warned. It is a dangerous journey you’re choosing to make. Many refuse to do this, no matter how much they love the one they lost.’

‘Nah it’s ok,’ replied Baekhyun, ‘I’m willing to do it.’ ‘Your choice,’ the Fates answered. ‘But,’ asked Baekhyun, ‘how do I get to the Underworld?’ ‘He will help you,’ the Fates pointed towards a tall man standing outside the exit door of the club.

Baekhyun turned to thank the Fates; but his thank you died in his throat. The Fates were gone. As soon as they were gone, Baekhyun started experiencing the full effect of alcohol once again, something that had stopped momentarily while he had the conversation with the Fates.

He staggered out the exit and to the man the Fates had pointed out. Baekhyun went up to the man and hugged him. The man enclosed Baekhyun in his long arms and, to Baekhyun’s surprise, started his hair.

‘They...told me....you...would...help...me get...Kyungsoo...back,’ Baekhyun said with difficulty, unable to string his words together properly. ‘Hush,’ whispered the man quietly and hugged Baekhyun even closer. He placed his cheek on the top of Baekhyun’s head. Baekhyun’s was surprised at the man’s intimate action. But he didn’t get the chance to say anything.

He out.

*

 

Baekhyun opened his eyes and groaned. Hangovers were another reason Kyungsoo didn’t drink or let me. Clutching his head, he sat up. He waited for his vision to clear and the room to stop spinning. Once it did, he looked around. I’m in my bedroom, he thought, strange, I don’t remember coming back home. And maybe-WAIT! That guy that hugged me, he must’ve brought me home. Where is he, now?

He spun to face the couch to the left of his bed. There sat the tall man from yesterday, hands clasped together, chin resting on them, looking at Baekhyun. ‘I dissolved a couple of painkillers in water for your hangover,’ he said when he saw Baekhyun had woken up, ‘drink it. The pain will lessen.’ He gestured to Baekhyun’s bed side table. Baekhyun downed the milky water in one go.

Then he wiped his mouth with the back of his hand and turned his attention to the man, ‘Who are you?’ The man got up, walked up to Baekhyun and stuck out his hand, ‘It’s really nice to meet you. My name is Park Chanyeol. I am here to assist you on your journey to the Underworld to get your boyfriend back.’

Baekhyun shook Chanyeol’s hand and looked at the man carefully. Chanyeol was really tall, and lanky. He had big eyes which he opened even wider when displaying an emotion. His hair fell in soft brown curls. Baekhyun noticed that Chanyeol didn’t walk; he jumped around. He was a little too hyperactive for his age. Somehow, Chanyeol’s overall look reminded Baekhyun of a poodle, he just couldn’t pinpoint the reason, as to why.

Chanyeol smiled when Baekhyun didn’t let go of his hand, too busy in his analysis of the man. ‘Uh...’ said Chanyeol. This snapped Baekhyun back to his senses, ‘Oh,’ he looked down at the hand he was holding and immediately let go, ‘I’m sorry.’ Chanyeol shook his head, smiling. ‘So,’ asked Chanyeol, ‘this boyfriend of yours, Kyungsoo, you really love him, eh? Not many people are willing to make this kind of journey.’

‘Oh yeah,’ nodded Baekhyun enthusiastically, and then saddened a little, ‘I really do love Kyungsoo. We’ve been together since high school you know. I confessed to him, ofcourse. He was too shy to even talk to me,’ Baekhyun smiled sadly, ‘He loved kids, Kyungsoo. We applied for adoption too. Our turn will come in two months. Kyungsoo was so psyched, he brought child-care books, surfed the net for names; he even decorated a room for the kid. But I can’t raise a child on my own. I need Kyungsoo by my side.’

Chanyeol nodded, showing that he sympathized. Baekhyun fell silent, lost in his thoughts about Kyungsoo. He was so lost, he didn’t notice the way Chanyeol was looking at him. Chanyeol gazed at Baekhyun in a longing, almost desperate way. It was obvious to anyone who could see that Chanyeol loved Baekhyun passionately. But Baekhyun didn’t pay Chanyeol any heed, too focused on his own love, Kyungsoo, to look at anything else.

*

 

Baekhyun was not sure what would be an appropriate attire for a journey to the Underworld. He asked Chanyeol for help. ‘Wear anything you would normally wear,’ replied Chanyeol. Baekhyun put on a plain grey shirt, a pair of shorts and walking shoes. As Chanyeol came, Baekhyun admired his shirt, ‘I like your shirt,’ said Baekhyun. Chanyeol looked down at his shirt. It was a black shirt with a pair of white wings drawn, and light seemed to be emitting from the wings.

‘Thanks,’ replied Chanyeol, ‘it signifies something deeper.’ ‘What?’ asked Baekhyun. Chanyeol smiled mischievously, ‘Maybe next time.’ Baekhyun shrugged, it’s not like I’m too curious. Chanyeol felt a little disappointed that Baekhyun didn’t press for finding out what it signified.

‘Okay,’ said Baekhyun, ‘I’m ready.’  Chanyeol smiled, ‘Shall we go then?’ Baekhyun nodded and they set out for the underworld.

*

 

‘Are we there yet?’ whined Baekhyun for the umpteenth time. Chanyeol sighed, ‘Not yet Baek, we aren’t. I told you it’s a long walk.’ ‘W-what did you call me?’ stuttered Baekhyun. ‘Baek,’ replied Chanyeol. Baekhyun looked down at the ground and said in a low voice, ‘Kyungsoo used to call me that.’ Chanyeol turned to look at Baekhyun, his heart hurting for the petite man walking next to him. He wanted so badly to take Baekhyun in his arms; but he held his feelings back and punched Baekhyun lightly on the arm, ‘Hey, cheer up. You’ll be seeing him soon enough.’

Baekhyun nodded and changed the subject, ‘So, where are we going anyway?’ ‘To the world tree,’ replied Chanyeol. ‘Which is what exactly?’ inquired Baekhyun.  ‘Oh Zeus,’ sighed Chanyeol again, ‘I told you a million times already.’ ‘Short attention span,’ grinned Baekhyun sheepishly. ‘The world tree, or tree of life, is the connection between the heavens, the earth and the underworld. We will be journeying to the underworld through the tree of life,’ answered Chanyeol.

Baekhyun nodded, not fully believing Chanyeol. Chanyeol saw this and smiled secretly, you’ll see soon enough Baek.

*

Chanyeol smiled and slapped Baekhyun on the back gently. ‘We’re here!’ he said, jumping up and down, excited. Baekhyun looked at Chanyeol sceptically, not sure if he should believe a grown man who still jumped when excited. Infront of them, was a huge waterfall. The water fell very smoothly; it looked like a silk cloth. It fell with a lot of pressure and at the end; it formed a sheet of white foam.

‘Uhh,’ said Baekhyun, ‘last time I checked, trees were brown.’ Chanyeol smiled and answered, ‘The tree is behind the waterfall.’ Baekhyun opened his eyes wide, ‘Behind it?! How do we get behind it?’ ‘I’ll take you there,’ said Chanyeol, ‘I’m here to assist you, remember?’ Baekhyun had a panicky look in his eyes, ‘How?’ ‘Just trust me,’ said Chanyeol and held out his hand, ‘you trust me, right?’

Baekhyun, then, looked at Chanyeol, really looked at the man, for the first time. He saw the mixed pain and longing in his eyes, the almost desperate look on his face, as if begging Baekhyun to say that he did; that he did trust him. ‘Yes,’ replied Baekhyun, not able to tear his eyes away from Chanyeol’s, ‘yes, I do.’ He took Chanyeol’s hand and Chanyeol pulled him in an embrace, like that first night.

Chanyeol pressed Baekhyun to his chest, so that his eyes were covered. Then, wind ruffled Baekhyun’s hair. Baekhyun opened his eyes in surprise and tried to pull away from Chanyeol’s chest to see what was going on; but Chanyeol held him firmly to his chest. Baekhyun could tell that they were moving; moving really fast, he just had no idea how.

Then as soon as they had started moving, they stopped. Chanyeol loosened his grip and Baekhyun pulled away from his chest and looked around. They were in sort of a cave, with a sheet of water on one side, and an opening on the other. ‘Where are we?’ asked Baekhyun, though he already had a good idea. ‘Inside the waterfall,’ replied Chanyeol.

Baekhyun stared at Chanyeol, wondering whether to believe him or not. He walked to the side of the cave with the sheet of water and touched the water. He gasped in surprise at the pressure of the water and pulled back his hand, hastily.

He stared at Chanyeol in shock, ‘How did you do that?’ Chanyeol smiled at the ground and answered, ‘I’m an angel.’ ‘A WHAT?!’ shouted Baekhyun. ‘Angel,’ repeated Chanyeol and looked up, into Baekhyun’s eyes,

 ‘Your angel.’

 

 


Omg guise I'm so sowwy for the EXTREMELY SUPER DUPER late update~~ *bbuing bbuing* ^^

So many things came up and I was so busy and stuff. So anyway, I hope you enjoy reading. Comment and subscribe and upvote and lemme know what you think, okay? I love reading your comments, so please do. ^^