Tidal Wave

The Minimalist In Love

  In English class, Amy eyed me as soon as I stepped in the door. The grin on her face made it obvious she had something to say. "If you have something to say, just say it." I demanded. I was already worn out from the school day. "Sorry to crush your dreams, butttttttttttt.. looks like Lee Min Ho has a girlfriend!" She giggled. "What are you talking about?" I rolled my eyes. "Sae-Jin and Lee Minho kissed! Can you believe it? She's so lucky, don't ya think?" Amy exclaimed. "No. I don't care. Why would I? Now if you're done wasting my time... I'm done with this conversation." I smiled fakely at her. Time really does change people. For Min Ho, I had higher expectations, but I guess guys are all the same no matter how you look at it. Lee Min Ho sat next to me again. I pretended to talk about English when other people could hear, but when they weren't, I acted concerned. "So have you made any new friends today?" I asked. "Yes, actually. I met this girl named Sae-Jin. I think you'd really like her. She's a cool friend." He smiled. "Just a friend?" I pretended to joke. "Well of course, what else would she be?" Min Ho raised his eyebrow and gave me a confused look. He proceeded to laugh. "I don't need a girlfriend anytime soon. But you should call your Abuji to pick you up today, I'm going home with Sae-Jin, we have a test to study for." I nodded. Was Sae-Jin telling people that they kissed? Sounded a lot like Sae-Jin to me. I snarled, "Thank god I don't have to drive home with you again." 

  When the bell rang, he darted out of class to meet up with Sae-Jin. So much for being my friend. I know I have been pushing him away, but he's already given up trying. What a jerk... I thought. I walked out into the front of the school to wait for my Abuji. I couldn't help but watch Sae-Jin talking to Min Ho.She kept swatting at his neck, laughing. "What is that stupid thing! It's so lame! Let me see!" She kept persisting. "It's nothing. It's just an old necklace." He told her. Just an old necklace...ppfftt.Is that what it is? I thought. I stomped away angrily. I should learn not to eavesdrop. Abuji pulled up infront of me, eying the sight behind me. "Whose Lee Min Ho talking to?" he asked, "She's a pretty one!" he added. "Some girl, I don't know her name." Hearing my Abuji praise her made me feel really worthless. I looked in the side mirror of the car and quickly looked away. Sae-Jin had a different look than me. She had friends, she had my old life. How was I suppose to compare? Wait.. Why would I have to compare to anyone? Minah, what exactly are you thinking?!

  I got home and immediately drowned myself in homework, I sat on the white couch infront of the coffee table. I tried a math problem over and over and over and still couldn't understand it. I heard the door open, and Min Ho called for me. His face seemed flustered. My heart immediately started pounding. I knew why he was here. "Now Minah, I won't judge you. You know that. So you can tell me the truth. I know it's probably been so hard on you. Us leaving, your Mother getting cancer..." He sat down next to me and put his hand on my bare knee. "Minah, I've heard some really horrible things about you today. And I just don't know how to react. Minah, why would you do something like that?" His expression was ashamed. Ashamed of me. "How can you of all people believe that?" I clenched my fist and stood up. "Leave, Min Ho. I can't believe you even think that's possible." I yelled. Min Ho stood up, too. "Thank god, Minah! That's all you have to say. Sit down. Explain this to me." He whispered, staring at the floor. "I had a bestfriend once upon a time. If you haven't noticed yet, everyone in school is afraid to talk to me. My bestfriend liked the same guy I did. I was going to confess to him. She set me up. Those pictures are not what it looks like. Those guys ually harassed me. She set everything up to hurt me. Ever since then I've been the biggest in school. I didn't tell you because I was afraid you'd believe it." I confessed. "Minah, what a . I believe you. You should become friends with Sae-Jin. She's really nice." He smiled and patted me on the back. I laughed nervously, "Yeah, maybe. But I don't want people to hate you. So respect my wishes and treat me as a ghost in school... Please." I asked. "Minah..that's stupid, but okay. I promise." Min Ho reassured me. "Can you help me with this math?" I laughed at my random request. "Of course, Mermaid Princess!" Min Ho smiled. The last thing I remembered before dozing off, was Min Ho explaining number after number, symbol after symbol, before I woke up to the fireplace lit, and a warm blanket over me. Min Ho left a note saying, "I didn't know Mermaids were so heavy! Would've moved you but it was a bit hard. Just kidding, didn't want to wake you. Goodmorning!" I had to giggle at that. What a jerk.