Chapter 5

Are you scared?

 

 

 

 

 

                Everyday, Luhan showed him new secrets in the house and even in the garden. Once, when Sehyun was away, he played the piano for him. It sounded really wonderful, even if it was almost as scary as the flute. Sehun discovered Baudelaire was actually Luhan’s favourite poet – the little ghost knew by heart nearly everything the man had written.

                As days went by, they got closer and closer to each other.

 

 

 

                Ellipsis.

 

 

 

                “Have you ever left the house?” Sehun asked one day to Luhan as they were playing chess in the attic, in the end of the afternoon. (There was a set in one of the cupboards, with glass pieces.) The blonde ghost moved his knight and shook his head.

                “No, never. Not after I died, that is to say,” he answered. “I’ve been in the forest a thousand times, but not further. I’ve never been to the village since then, for instance.”

                Sehun nodded and brought his queen towards Luhan’s tower. “Be careful, I’m going to take it,” he said. “And you’re not willing to try?”

                “No, you should be careful,” Luhan retorted quietly, taking Sehun’s bishop with the tower the dark-haired boy had been about to take. “And no, I’m not willing to try. I don’t see why I should leave. This is my house, this is my garden. I don’t need to go outside – I don’t need food or any other supplies, anyway,” he added, giggling shortly.

                Sehun didn’t answer, annoyed that Luhan had taken his bishop so easily – he hadn’t even noticed he would be able to do it. He moved a pawn a little sullenly then looked up towards the blonde boy. “Are you really sure? That could be great!” he said. Luhan raised an eyebrow and shrugged.

                “I don’t see why,” he replied. “I’m fine like this.”

                Sehun didn’t answer why Luhan didn’t want to leave the house, though he stopped talking about it and kept playing. A minute later, he took one the ghost’s pawns, but said ghost counter-attacked and successively took his second bishop, his remaining tower and two pawns.

                Finally, Luhan won the game.

                He often did, in fact.

                “I wasn’t on form,” Sehun muttered. Luhan laughed at his glum face while he put the chess set and the pieces in a box. He put the bow back in the cupboard and sat down onto the bed again. He looked at the dark-haired boy for several minutes, a mischievous smile crossing his lips.

                “You always say that, whenever I beat you,” he said very low. “And when you win – luckily – you say I’m hopeless. Don’t you think you are… (He brought his face closer to Sehun’s until he was able to speak just next to the boy’s ear.) A bit of a bad loser and a show-off?”

                Sehun shivered. “I’m not. You just – ” he began, but Luhan cut him with his lips.

                It was obvious, Luhan loved kissing him. It was his favourite distraction; he did it whenever he felt like it – which meant about all the time. Although his ice cold lips were still a little disturbing for Sehun, he had got used to them and found them actually rather pleasant. At least, they were fresh.

                “Hey, I taught myself to do something,” Luhan said. “Do you want to see?”

                Sehun nodded silently. The small ghost raised his pale hand to touch Sehun’s. As he saw him do so, the dark-haired boy almost gasped. “You’re not doing that again! Please!” he exclaimed. Luhan smiled.

                “Of course I’m not. Even if it’s funny,” he replied. Funny for you, Sehun thought. “It’s something else, you’ll see,” Luhan went on. “Here…”

                He touched Sehun’s hand and his thin fingers instantly went through it as if they were made of pure air. Sehun had expected to feel that horrible icy sensation again, but – he opened his eyes wide in surprise. That wasn’t painful at all, that was wonderful! He looked down. Luhan’s hand seemed to be merged with his own.

                “That’s…” he whispered. It wasn’t cold, it was just –fresh, and really pleasant. Luhan beamed. He moved his hand, going through Sehun’s entire arm and causing him to quiver in pleasure. He stopped when he reached his shoulder; he fondled it, but inside.

                “Do you like it?” he asked. “I managed to control the temperature.”

                Sehun closed his eyes and let the blonde ghost move his little fingers inside of him. “That’s magic,” he said with a dreamy smile. “A thousand times better than last time.”

                Luhan chuckled softly. He waved his index, drawing small circles inside of Sehun’s stomach. It tickled – the other boy giggled. Luhan kept doing it mischievously, until Sehun collapsed on the bed, laughing like a madman.

                “Stop that, Luhan! Stop – plea – ea – ease!” he exclaimed. But Luhan’s laugh echoed his own. The dark-haired boy gripped the bed sheets tightly, trying to control himself. But it didn’t work.

                “No, you’re going to die laughing, I don’t care!” Luhan retorted.

                “What? And – aha – I’ll be a ghost like you!” Sehun said, still howling with laughter. Luhan stopped tickling him and had a small smile.

                “Maybe…” he said. Sehun cleared his throat and looked away, knowing he had said something slightly stupid. “But don’t think about it – you’re too young to die, anyway,” Luhan finished, tilting his head. He rested his palm on Sehun’s stomach. “Sorry, I don’t think I can do – the thing I’ve just done – again. It uses a lot of energy. But I’ll recover quickly.”

                “Don’t worry,” Sehun said as softly as he could. “And – I’m sorry to have said that.”

                Luhan shrugged. “It’s okay,” he replied. “Come on, Sehyun is standing at the front door, go and meet him. And prepare dinner, I don’t want you to die of hunger.”

                “How are you able to know everything that happens in the house?...” Sehun muttered, getting up reluctantly. Luhan laughed and didn’t answer. They walked to the hatch and he helped the dark-haired boy get down into the third room.

                “See you later,” he said simply, pecking Sehun’s cheek with his frozen lips. Sehun smiled a little and he looked at him – he blinked and Luhan had disappeared.

                He met his brother downstairs, in the kitchen; Sehyun had just come back indeed. Sehun hadn’t told him about Luhan, and he didn’t want to do it. Especially now that they were…a little more than friends.

                And Luhan was still a ghost.

                “I’m tired, you’re cooking tonight, okay?” Sehyun said, yawning. Sehun nodded and sighed. He fetched pasta in a cupboard (they had bought them at the supermarket in the village) and boiled water to cook them.

                About a quarter later, his older brother and him were eating. “Do you know that we’re going back home next week?” Sehyun said casually. Sehun froze.

                “What?” he replied. “Next week?!”

                “Yes, why? Didn’t you want to leave as soon as possible?” Sehyun said, raising an eyebrow. Sehun didn’t answer right away. No, he didn’t want to leave anymore… even if he was still a little scared by the house sometimes, leaving meant not seeing Luhan again…

                “I don’t want to leave,” he whispered, putting his fork down on the table. Suddenly he wasn’t hungry anymore. Sadly, he got up and put his plate next to the sink. “Goodnight, I’m going to bed,” he said. He ignored Sehyun’s exasperated sigh and went upstairs.

                Luhan was sitting on his bed, playing with his fingers like a child. Sehun almost felt like laughing nervously. But he sat down next to him and sighed heavily. “We’re leaving next week,” he said quietly. Luhan turned towards him. He didn’t say anything. “I don’t want to leave you…”

                “You could come back next year,” Luhan offered, smiling awkwardly.

                “Next year?!” Sehun exclaimed.

                “Who are you talking to?” Sehyun exclaimed in the kitchen.

                “You’re hearing voices!” Sehun retorted angrily. “Next year?” he went on, lower. “Are you kidding me? Not seeing you for a whole year? That’s absurd!”

                “Well, I don’t see any other solution,” Luhan whispered sadly, looking at his white fingers. He looked horribly resigned. He stayed like this for a long time, motionless. Sehun thought about all he could do to stay there. But it was impossible.

                Though suddenly, he found the solution. He wasn’t going to stay… Luhan was going to leave with him! “And why don’t you come to Seoul with me?” he asked enthusiastically. “We could stay together!”

                Luhan had a tiny smile. “I can’t leave the house…” he said. “That would be great, though… I don’t want you to leave me either.”

                “Come on, why don’t you want to come with me?” Sehun said. “Do you have to stay in the house? Is there something that forbids you to leave?” he asked. Luhan smiled a little more and Sehun saw he was thinking.

                “No, I don’t think so…” the blonde-haired boy said. “It’s worth trying. And I want to stay with you. Okay, I’ll come with you,” he finished, turning towards Sehun and beaming. The young boy laughed happily.

                If Luhan was leaving with him, they wouldn’t be separated.

                Everything would be well.

 

 

 

~

 

 

 

                And at last, the day of the departure came. Sehun had packed his things, and he had also put in his suitcase a few things Luhan had offered him as presents: the chess set, that they would be able to use once they were home, an ancient watch the little ghost had found rummaging through the house, and he also put Luhan’s flute in it (it was hard to do it as he didn’t see the instrument).

                Sehun closed the shutters together with Sehyun, cleaned the house again, and they were ready to leave. “Wait for me a minute, I’ve forgotten something in my room,” Sehyun said, sighing. As his brother went upstairs, Sehun sat down in the living-room.

                “Luhan,” he called softly. “We’re leaving in a minute.”

                The blonde ghost entered the room – walking through the wall between one of the spare rooms and the living-room. “Okay,” he said with a smile. “I’m ready. You didn’t forget my flute, right?”

                “No, it’s in my suitcase. I wrapped a sweater around it,” Sehun answered with a chuckle. Luhan beamed. “By the way… Sehyun has never seen you… Will he? I mean, can you become invisible to him but not to me?” the dark-haired boy asked clumsily.

                “No, I can’t do that,” Luhan answered, shaking his head. “Either none of you sees me, or you both see me,” he said. “What do you choose?”

                “Em… It’s okay if I don’t see you during the journey,” Sehun answer, embarrassed. He really didn’t want his brother to find about the small ghost now. “He’s coming back!” he said as he heard Sehyun’s steps in the staircase. Luhan grinned and disappeared. However, Sehun felt an icy hand touch his shoulder. He’s still there, he thought, reassured.

                “Okay, we can leave,” Sehyun said, opening the door. “Take your suitcase, I’m not carrying it. Come on, move!”

                Sehun smiled. He had the feeling his brother was saying the same things as the day they had arrived at the house two months before. “I’m taking it,” he said. He grabbed the handle with both his hands and noticed the suitcase really wasn’t heavy. “Thank you Luhan…” he muttered with a nervous laugh.

                “What are you saying?” his brother asked, frowning. Sehun had a laugh that sounded awkward. He shook his head innocently.

                “I said – I said…can’t wait to – forget it,” he replied. Sehyun rolled his eyes and they walked to the car. After putting both their suitcases in the boot, they got in the car. Though, before opening the passenger’s door, Sehun (feeling really stupid) pointed at the back door, hoping Luhan would understand. Please don’t open it, just go through it as you do it so well… he thought.

                “Say goodbye to the haunted house,” Sehyun said sarcastically, smirking. Sehun sighed. You don’t know how right you are, he said to himself. He looked at the house, at the dark walls and the little windows. Finally, he had ended up liking it. He sighed and fastened his seatbelt.

                “What are you waiting for? Start up.”

 

 

 

~

 

 

 

                All went well during the journey. There was no ‘Oh my Gosh, there is a boy in the back seat!’ or ‘There is a cold hand on the back of my neck, Sehun’. (Actually, Sehun had been a little afraid Luhan might decide to…play a trick while they were in the car. But nothing happened, all was quiet.

                Magically, for the first time ever, Sehun even managed to fall asleep during the journey. He woke up only a few minutes before they reached their home. “Oh, we’re almost there!” he said, in surprise but also to Luhan. He glanced towards the back of the car, but Luhan was still invisible, of course.

                Their parents had come back from their two-week holiday in Japan a few days ago and they were waiting for them. Although they had been on bad terms when they had parted, Sehun was happy to see them again.

                “So, the house wasn’t haunted, finally!” Mr Oh said, smiling as he helped his sons carry the suitcases to the house. Sehun laughed but didn’t answer. He looked for Luhan but didn’t see him. Though, as he stood next to the car, puzzled and not daring to call the ghost’s name, soft and fresh lips met his cheek. He couldn’t help but smile.

                “There’s chocolate cake, come on in, Sehun-ah!” his mother said with a sweet smile, completely different from the day Sehun and his brother had left. The dark-haired boy grinned and entered his house happily.

                Everything was perfect. After telling his parents what his brother and he had done during the holidays, he carried his suitcase and his bag to his bedroom. He was happy to be back with his bed and his computer. Though he didn’t turn it on; he called, “Luhan?”

                The blonde-haired boy appeared instantly. He was already sitting on Sehun’s chair with wheels. “Your room is pretty,” he said quietly. Sehun grinned. He wanted to hug him so much! “It’s quite different from my house,” Luhan giggled.

                “Both are great,” Sehun said. “Now please come and kiss me!”

                The evening was spent in a happy mood. Just before he had gone downstairs for dinner, Sehun had decided with Luhan that he would tell his parents they were friends in a few days. And pretend Luhan was a perfectly normal, alive human being. The only thing would be that he would become invisible every night to be able to sleep in Sehun’s room without being noticed by the Ohs.

                But that would even be funny. Sehun couldn’t wait.

               

 

 

~

 

Now please listen to this while you read.

 

 

 

                Sehun woke up in a start hearing muffled whines of pain. He lit up his bedside lamp. “Luhan!” he cried. The blonde ghost was sitting on the bed, clenching his head between his little white hands. “Are you okay?!”

                Luhan didn’t answer; he shook his head. Sehun touched his forehead – it was even colder than usual, if it was possible. He started to panic. Luhan had never shown he could feel pain. He didn’t know what to do at all.

                “I’m going to disappear – ” Luhan said through clenched teeth.

                “What are you saying – no way!” Sehun exclaimed. He didn’t care about waking up his parents; all that mattered was Luhan. “Why are you saying such a thing?” he shouted, hugging the blonde boy.

                “It’s because I – aaaah!” Luhan cried out. “I left the house! I left it! I shouldn’t – I shouldn’t have – Listen to me, Sehun!” he said as Sehun started to sob. “I don’t know what’s going to happen, okay? I don’t know whether I’ll go to hell or heaven or – or nowhere, or even go back to the house, I – ”

                His voice was cut by a painful moan. Sehun lied him down and his hair. After a few minutes, the small ghost managed to calm down and he stayed motionless for a while. “Shh… Don’t leave, Luhan…” Sehun whispered. “Don’t leave me. Please… I love you, don’t leave…”

                “I knew it, ghosts aren’t supposed to leave the place they died in…” Luhan said, looking delirious. “This is not your fault, you – you couldn’t…” he said weakly. Sehun said nothing; he couldn’t speak. His family hadn’t even woken up; the house was dead silent.

                How could such a thing happen? It was impossible… Luhan had been perfectly fine a couple of hours before! Foolishly, Sehun wished he was only having a bad dream – everything would vanish soon and he would wake up to Luhan gazing at him in the dark.

                A desperate moan left Luhan’s lips. And Sehun realised he was really going to leave. Even if at first, he had tried to persuade himself it would get better really soon, he knew it wouldn’t. Luhan was going to leave. He was going to leave. And it was shattering Sehun’s heart into a thousand of fragile pieces.

                They still had some time left… Sehun bent down and kissed Luhan’s icy lips, sharing with him a bit of his own warmth. He cupped his thin face, even if his hands almost hurt at the contact. “I love you,” Luhan said. Sehun’s tears rolled down on both their faces.

                They still had some time left, they still had some time left. Just for another kiss, a few more words… Suddenly, Sehun felt coolness inside of his chest. He looked down. Luhan’s hand was inside of him, glowing softly.

                “Don’t use – your energy,” he tried to protest. Luhan smiled, half sarcastically, half sadly.

                “Do you really think I need it now?” he whispered.

                No, he couldn’t leave now! He couldn’t! Everything had seemed to perfect, for a moment… Sehun had known him for barely two months, but it felt like he would be losing a lifelong friend.

                Sehun closed his eyes and let his body bond with Luhan’s again. It was magical. But after a while, the pleasant freshness of the blonde ghost’s fingers and hand was replaced by a hard cold.

                It happened really slowly. Bit by bit, Luhan’s face lost its already faint colour. His cheeks became as white as snow and the only remaining hint of colour was on his lips, which somehow stayed a soft shade of pink. His eyes that never blinked were locked with Sehun’s. Their hands met – a burning one and a freezing one.

                Luhan got a little colder again in the young boy’s arms and started to move less and less often. His body became a little translucent, and a while later Sehun could almost see the blue stripes of the bed sheets through his little body.

                After brushing blonde strands of hair that now almost looked white off Luhan’s face, Sehun gave him one last kiss. He blinked, although he had tried not to do it, afraid the small ghost might disappear while his eyes were closed. But the blonde-haired boy was gone indeed when Sehun opened his eyelids a fraction of a second later.

                He had disappeared.

                Even when Sehun looked everywhere around desperately, even when he tried to grasp something in the air – anything, even a faint feeling of cold would have been enough – even when he called Luhan’s name again and again… Nothing happened.  

                Sehun didn’t even know where Luhan had gone to. He didn’t know where Luhan was. He didn’t know whether Luhan would still be alive and that was even worse than if he had known the blonde boy had actually died.

                He ran his hands over the bed sheets as if he were in a dream; he was only half conscious. He looked for an object Luhan might have left before disappearing. There was nothing left. Nothing. No trace of the small ghost. Absolutely no trace.

 

 

 

                Sehun cried that night.