Chapter 4

Are you scared?

 

 

 

 

 

                When he woke up, Sehun didn’t open his eyes right away. He was disorientated. Was it daytime? Was it night-time? He opened his eyelids – and saw nothing but a thick darkness. Night-time. Definitely.

                But as his eyes got used to the dark, he saw, although it was very faint, a hint of light next to him. He blinked. Little by little, his sight adapted itself. He opened his mouth wide in fear. “Luhan!” he cried. The ghost was glowing softly in the dark; he smiled at Sehun.

                “Hi there,” he replied, and Sehun wondered whether he was actually facing the same frightening ghost he’d seen the previous night. “I watched you sleep,” Luhan continued. “Do you know you curl up into a ball in your sleep?”

                Sehun’s heart skipped a beat. “You – what?” he stuttered. A ghost had watched him sleep. That was scary as hell. “But – why?”

                Luhan giggled softly but he didn’t answer Sehun’s question. “I think I really frightened you last night,” he sort of apologised. “Could I show you something to make it up?”

                “Show me what?” Sehun asked back warily. That sounded a little disturbing. The blonde boy smiled sweetly.

                “Come with me,” he said simply, offering his little hand to Sehun. Although he hesitated, the dark-haired boy took if after a minute. He got out of his bed and Luhan led him outside the bedroom.

                “How were you able to open the lock?” Sehun asked as he remembered the double-locked door. The ghost chuckled but once again didn’t answer. A little frustrated, Sehun scowled. They stopped in front of the third room. Luhan opened the door. Sehun looked at the dirty and empty room and muttered, “There’s nothing here.”

                “I think I know better than you,” Luhan retorted. He stepped into the room but no dust was lifted up when his feet touched the floor. He pointed at the ceiling. Sehun had to enter the room to look up too. He did it hesitantly, almost afraid Luhan might attack him if he took his eyes off him.

                But he raised his eyebrows. “A hatch?”

                “It leads to the attic,” Luhan said.

                “How come we didn’t see it before?” Sehun asked, astonished. He thought he had visited the whole house.

                “Because you never go in this room, remember?” Luhan retorted, smirking. “You said it was scary.”

                Sehun grumbled. “Can you open it?” he asked. Luhan shrugged but he looked at the walls carefully. Sehun frowned. The blonde boy seemed to be making a calculation. And suddenly, so fast it almost seemed blurry, Luhan jumped against the wall and climbed.

                There was nothing he could hang on to – his fingertips and his feet barely brushed the wall but he smoothly hoisted himself until he reached the ceiling. There, he crawled to the hatch. Sehun felt a shiver run down his spine. Luhan’s movements were fluid and almost elegant, but the way he climbed to reach the hatch somehow gave a reptilian feeling.

                Though the blonde boy, a foot against the wall and the other in the air while he was touching the ceiling with his palm as if he were supporting it, smiled at him. “You’re coming?” he said in an enthusiastic voice. Sehun frowned and crossed his arms.

                “Yeah, sure, but how?” he asked. Luhan’s smile widened? He rested his other hand against the ceiling and lowered the first one until it was just above Sehun’s head.

                “Take my hand,” he said. The dark-haired boy didn’t take it.

                “You’re going to fall,” he replied. Luhan burst out laughing for a mysterious reason.

                “Come on, take my hand,” he repeated. Sehun took it reluctantly (it felt so cold!) – and everything happened in the blink of an eye.

                As if it was nothing, Luhan lifted him up from the floor and flung him up. “Catch the edge!” he shouted. Sehun just had the time to cling to the wood at the top of the hole in the ceiling. His feet were in the air – he was going to let go and fall!

                But instantly, as soon as he had let go of the young boy’s hand, Luhan jumped again and, using both his hands, slipped through the hatch. He seemed to end up on a flat and hard surface. Straight away, he caught Sehun’ s hand and hoisted him up.

                Still shocked, Sehun kneeled down and breathed in and out deeply for several minutes. He stared at Luhan. “How – did you do that?” he asked.

                “I can do a lot of things,” Luhan answered mysteriously, with a mischievous smile. He helped Sehun get up and patted his shoulder.

                “What’s there?” Sehun said. “I can’t see anything.”

                Silently, Luhan started to glow brighter – until the attic was lit as if in daylight. Sehun pouted, thinking, show-off. But he looked around in the room. It was wide, there were no lamps but there were a lot of diverse items. A mirror, a single bed, two cupboards, books on shelves and even a piano.

                Luhan was staring at him when Sehun met his eyes. “I suppose you – live here?” the dark-haired boy asked after clearing his throat. Luhan’s face brightened and he nodded.

                “But… I don’t use the bed,” he whispered, a little embarrassed.

                “You mean… You don’t sleep?” Sehun asked. Luhan had a sad smile.

                “Though I spend some time here. I read books. (He pointed at the books.) I learn the piano by myself. (He played an A.) But it’s hard to play without being heard. I also do other things but that’s not interesting,” he added. Sehun smiled clumsily; he really didn’t know what to say.

                “Em…why are you showing me your bed – your room?” he asked hesitantly.

                “Because I died here,” Luhan answered with a soft smile. Sehun stayed mute for a few minutes. Suddenly he felt like crying.

                “I’m so sorry…” he apologised. Luhan shrugged.

                “That’s not something big,” he said, but Sehun could see sadness in his eyes. “Ah,” the blonde-haired boy continued cheerfully like nothing had happened. “There’s something funny there.”

                He walked to the mirror and Sehun followed him. “Look,” Luhan said. Sehun looked at the mirror – but he only saw his own reflection and not Luhan’s. The ghost was just next to him yet he wasn’t reflected in the mirror.

                “You’re not there,” Sehun said, a little sad.

                “No, I’m only here,” Luhan whispered in his ear. Sehun shivered. “That’s a shame; I can’t even tell how I look!” Luhan laughed.

                “You’re gorgeous,” Sehun replied automatically. The blonde-haired boy had a strange smile.

                “Thank you,” he said softly. “You’re not bad either.”

                Sehun blushed a bit. He walked to the bed and sat down. “How did you…die?” he asked very low. Luhan’s smile vanished. He looked at the mirror but didn’t seem amused anymore.

                “You wouldn’t want to know,” he answered a little dryly. Sehun swallowed. “Sorry,” Luhan apologised. “I just don’t like talking about it. Not that I usually talk very much, actually…”

                They looked at each other for several minutes, and once or twice, Sehun thought he saw again that hungry look in Luhan’s eyes. “Do you want to spend the rest of the night here?” the blonde ghost finally asked. “There’s a bed.”

                Sehun hesitated a little. “Okay,” he said at last. “But are you going to – watch me again?”

                Luhan looked down, pretending to feel guilty; but Sehun knew he didn’t. “Well, after all… Okay, I’ll stay here,” he accepted, lying down on the bed. He closed his eyes. “Goodnight.”

                It was strange, but right then he could tell Luhan was happy.

 

 

 

~

 

 

 

                Sehun didn’t really want to wake up; he nuzzled his head in the pillow. That bed wasn’t truly comfortable, but… Then he heard a voice. “Sehun. Sehun, open your eyes. Sehun, it’s the middle of the afternoon.”

                Sehun blinked three or four times and looked around. He spotted Luhan, who was sitting on the bed and patting the covers with his hand. “What are you doing?” he asked sleepily, almost forgetting he was lying just next to a ghost. Luhan tilted his head.

                “You slept for long. I think you were having a nightmare,” he said simply, his black eyes locked on the dark-haired boy’s face. Sehun stayed still. Little by little, he became aware of his fast breathing and the slight sweat on his forehead. He felt a bit ill at ease.

                As Luhan got a little closer him, he shivered. He was awfully cold… “Sorry,” Luhan apologised darkly, moving to the end of the bed. Sehun nibbled on his lower lip.

                “You can come, if you want to,” he offered. “I’ll put the covers on.”

                The blonde ghost seemed glad. He walked on all fours to Sehun and lied down just next to him. Although he was buried under the quilt, Sehun could feel his amazing coldness. Luhan giggled. “It’s been long since I last lied down on a bed,” he said.

                “When did you die?” Sehun whispered. The blonde boy gazed at the ceiling and didn’t answer straight away.

                “About twenty years ago,” he said finally in an emotionless voice. “I’m a young ghost,” he added, giggling quietly. Then he sighed. “But I’m bored.”

                Sehun said nothing. Suddenly he was scared again. “I’m really bored,” Luhan went on. “No, I was really bored,” he corrected himself. He turned towards Sehun. “But you came. And I had fun.”

                Sehun swallowed, petrified by the blonde boy’s dark pupils. Fun. What could that mean? “You… (He blinked to focus on what he was saying and not Luhan’s lips.) You had fun?” he stuttered. Luhan sort of snuggled up to him. He didn’t answer. Sehun started to feel ice cold. It wasn’t Luhan’s fault, but his small body was frozen.

                He looked at the blonde boy’s face; he had a peaceful smile on his lips. Recklessly, Sehun asked, “Now you can tell me how you died?”

                A heavy, unhealthy silence fell in the room. And coldness, coldness against Sehun’s body. Luhan opened his eyelids. If eyes could have killed, Sehun would have already been dead. His black pupils seemed even darker than usual, and they looked horrible empty, vacant. He stared at Sehun for five good minutes and the air became colder and colder.

                Producing absolutely no sound, the blonde boy got up and walked to the middle of the attic. His hands balled up into fists and he turned around angrily. “I thought you would understand,” he said through clenched teeth. “I don’t want to talk about it now.”

                Sehun opened his mouth to apologise but the blonde-haired ghost, after shooting him a furious, disappointed glance, disappeared without a word. “Luhan, wait!” Sehun shouted, getting up. But Luhan was gone. Mad at himself, he kicked the floor, sending dust in the air. He didn’t know where Luhan was.

                He opened the hatch to leave the attic. But – he was about four meters above the floor of the third room. Carelessly, Sehun jumped. His feet hit the floor first, fortunately, but he still fell down afterwards. He stood up painfully. “Luhan,” he called. “Please come back, I’m really sorry…”

                As no one answered, he went out in the corridor. He visited each one of the rooms – Luhan wasn’t in the first floor. Sehun went downstairs. Nobody in the kitchen, nor in the living-room, in the toilets or the spare rooms. Sehun quickly went to the cellar but Luhan wasn’t there either.

                “Luhan…” Sehun called again. “Luhan…”

                He exited the house and walked around in the garden. It was colder than usual. He searched in the bushes and in the trees; he even looked up at the roof of the house. He didn’t see any blonde hair, nor black eyes and he didn’t hear any bright giggle. Feeling amazingly guilty, he sat down in the poor grass.

                Luhan had told him he didn’t want to talk about the way he had died and yet he had asked him again. I’m a bastard, Sehun thought. He looked up. “Luhan,” he said. “Luhan please come back – ”

                “Why should I?” a dark voice asked. Sehun turned around abruptly. The blonde boy was standing just behind him, looking angry – no, not angry…distant and cold. Sehun’s eyes widened.

                “I’m really sorry… You told me you didn’t want – I shouldn’t have talked about it again. Do you forgive me?” he said timidly, really hoping Luhan would say yes. But the small boy didn’t answer. He looked down at Sehun for several minutes as if he were hesitating. Sehun started to feel nauseous. But he waited until Luhan looked away – the ghost hadn’t blinked a single time.

                In fact, Sehun realised he didn’t blink. Never. As he made a mental note of this, he decided to study Luhan a bit as he had some time to so it right then. Luhan was absolutely motionless. He didn’t breathe, he didn’t blink… His heart surely doesn’t beat, Sehun thought, shivering.

                “It doesn’t,” Luhan said in a neutral tone, moving his foot in the grass. Sehun started.

                “You can read my mind?...” he asked, frightened. Luhan had a tiny smile.

                “Not exactly,” he answered, enigmatic. Sehun waited for a minute.

                “Do you forgive me?” he asked again. Luhan looked down at him.

                “Yes, I forgive you,” he said. “But just don’t do it ever again.”

                “I won’t!” Sehun promised. But Luhan shook his head.

                “You know, it’s very rude to ask that to a ghost. And besides you really wouldn’t want to know,” he said. “However, I’m sure you will bring that subject up again someday as you’re a curious child… (Sehun opened his eyes wide, scared.) I want you to shut up, do you understand?”

                Luhan crouched down in front of Sehun and raised his hand in front of the dark-haired boy’s chest. “Oh no, please…” Sehun pleaded when he understood. Luhan raised an eyebrow.

                “Take that as a punishment and a warning,” he replied. And suddenly, he plunged his hand into Sehun’s chest. The boy bit his lip. It was truly unpleasant; he had the feeling he was going to freeze to death. There seemed to be pure ice inside of his body. Luhan moved his fingers a little, teasingly.

                “Please, Luhan…” Sehun begged. “It’s horrible…”

                The blonde ghost pulled his hand out of his chest. “Fine. Now we can be friends again,” he said, and Sehun raised his eyebrows.

                “You – are you saying we’re friends?” he asked hesitantly.

                Luhan looked devastated. “Are you saying we’re not?” he asked back. Sehun laughed, embarrassed.

                “We can be friends, if you want to,” he said. Luhan’s eyes started to glow and he walked in circle around Sehun, once. Said boy followed him with his eyes. Luhan looked like a hungry animal again.

                “Thank you…” the blonde boy whispered. “Sehun.”

                Sehun took moved backwards instinctively, trying to go away Luhan’s horrible coldness.

                “Ah, yes, I’m always cold,” the ghost said, walking again. “Well, at least, my body is cold.”

                He almost seemed sad, although he was obviously hiding it. Sehun breathed in to muster up his courage; bravely, he got up, walked to Luhan and hugged him. The blonde-haired boy didn’t move and stared at him without a word. “What?” Sehun said shakily. “I’m warming you up.”

                Luhan chuckled darkly. “Wow, thanks,” he replied. They remained silent for a couple of minutes. “Okay, you’re cute. I can tell you why I’m here. In this house, I mean,” Luhan said finally.

                Sehun blushed and asked, “Really?”

                Luhan smirked and parted gently. He started walking around slowly and Sehun followed him. “I used to live here, when I was about twenty years old. (Sehun felt weird inside, realising Luhan had lived for the same time as a human and as a ghost.) One day I died. But I stayed in the house. The end,” Luhan said.

                Sehun grimaced. “Is that all you’re telling me?” he asked, dumbfounded. The blonde-haired boy smiled at the sky.

                “Yes,” he answered. “No, I’m making fun of you. Actually, I’m here because I have something left to do.”

                “What is it?” Sehun asked. Luhan shook his head.

                “I don’t even know…” he said. “I just have to do it. Or maybe it’s something else. Maybe I’m here because I died too early. You know, it’s as if I were amnesiac. I don’t remember many things. I’m just… I don’t even know whether I like being a ghost or not.”

                “But you have superpowers,” Sehun said, trying to cheer him up. “At least, that’s cool.”

                Luhan had an ironic smile. “Supernatural powers?” he retorted. “Yeah, I can do a few things… Change my appearance, modify the temperature, make some noise… I can tell roughly the way you’re feeling and what you’re thinking about, and I can climb to the walls… But really. (He looked at Sehun a little sadly.) It’s not even funny anymore. I’m not saying that I’m not worth living – or doing whatever I do in that body. I’m just yearning to have fun,” he finished with a short chuckle.

                Sehun plunged his hands in the pockets of his sweater. “You said you had fun scaring me,” he said.

                “That’s true,” Luhan replied, smiling sadly. “But you’re not scared anymore,” he added, looking almost on the verge of tears. Sehun raised his eyebrows and walked to him. He looked at the blonde-haired boy for a couple of minutes.

                “You know,” he began softly. “I’m not scared anymore, but I’m starting to really like you. And liking someone is much better than being afraid of them, don’t you think?”

                Luhan looked down for a while, looking like he was actually thinking about it. Sehun saw a hundred of different looks shine in his black eyes. But finally, he looked at Sehun again. “Maybe you’re right,” he conceded. Suddenly his eyes were glowing weirdly. “I’ll try to control my temperature, okay?” he said abruptly.

 

                Sehun saw him stand on tiptoes – the next thing he knew, soft, cold lips were pressed gently against his own. He froze. Luhan’s mouth was icy, but somehow, it felt wondeful. Instinctively, Sehun wrapped his arms around the blonde boy’s small body. As he enjoyed the depth and the softness of the kiss, his brain stopped working for a while. But then… He realised something. I’m in love with him. Definitely. I’m in love with a ghost, he thought.

                “Deal with it, I love you too,” Luhan whispered, breaking the kiss for a split second.

                They remained like this for an indistinct time, until a strong voice yelled, “Sehun! Where are you? Are you coming or not? I’ve finished preparing dinner!”

                Sehun stopped gazing at Luhan as if he were mesmerised and blinked. “I – I’m…coming,” he replied. “I’m coming.”

                Luhan looked glum again. “You’re leaving me alone, and you’re going to eat, on top of that…” he muttered. Sehun sighed, realising the small ghost of course didn’t eat.

                “Sorry…” he apologised. “I would have loved to stay, really… (Luhan shrugged.) Look, do you want to spend the night in my bedroom? There’s a double bed, you know, that would be comfortable, even if you don’t – I mean…”

                The blonde-haired boy laughed. “Okay,” he answered. He looked at Sehun with a straight, almost dark face, and he disappeared. Still not used to the ghost’s surprise appearances and disappearances, the dark-haired boy sighed. He walked into the house and ate with his brother.

                That night, Luhan did come in Sehun’s room. They talked for a long time before Sehun started to fall asleep without even noticing. For the first time, he really wasn’t scared to sleep in a haunted house.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: Teehee, fluff in the air :)

I'm sorry, I was supposed to update yesterday, and I completely forgot to do it.

And there may be some mistakes: I tried to re-read the chapter, but... Forgive me.

Do you like this story? if you do, please tell me!

Thank you again for reading, I love you ♥