Chapter 2

Are you scared?

 

 

 

 

Now please listen to this while you read.

 

                It was a good thing Sehun had brought books with him. Even if Sehyun and him had been staying in their grandmother’s house for only five days, it felt like five centuries. There was nothing to do, nothing to see and nobody to talk to.

                They had found the key that opened the door to the cellar on the third day. Sehun had thought for a second that maybe he would find something fascinating there, but there was really nothing. The cellar was dark and damp. There was a single lamp lighting it, a bare bulb, and it was hanging to the ceiling, all its red and green wires visible.

                So the cellar was scary and Sehun didn’t go back there.

                Actually, the whole house was scary, but some rooms were better than some others.

                For example, the kitchen was quite okay, as it got the sun almost all day (it had two windows facing two different directions). But the living-room was dark and the fireplace was black with soot. Sehun and Sehyun’s rooms were almost nice, as they had really taken a lot of time to clean them, but the third room was still disgustingly dirty, which made it dark too, because the window almost let in no light.

                Sehun went into the garden once or twice, when it wasn’t raining. It was quite wide. The grass looked horrible, but there were a few trees he could climb to, and above all, there were bushes everywhere. It was really frightening sometimes, because even when there was no wind, they kept swinging slowly, producing low sounds, as if there was someone running their hand through them.

                And inside the house… If he summarised, there were lamps (which meant light at night): in the kitchen, in the living-room (though in that room they sometimes turned off by themselves all of a sudden), in the toilets and in one of the spare rooms downstairs; upstairs there was one lamp in Sehyun’s bedroom, none in the second and the third room, three in the fourth one, two in Sehun’s and also a tiny bulb in the bathroom.

                That wasn’t much.

                In the cellar, there was a single lamp that somehow managed to light almost the whole room – but of course, it was still really dark. There was no light in the toilets there (because yes, there were toilets in a little room in the cellar).

                After a few days, Sehun came to the conclusion that he didn’t like the house. He didn’t like the house, so he tried to go in the forest to see whether it was nice. But it wasn’t. He didn’t like the forest, so he went back to the village once or twice, but it took him too much time to go there and to come back afterwards. So he didn’t go to the village again.

                Basically, he was stuck in the house.

                However, Sehyun seemed to have found really interesting things in the surrounding area, as he was almost  never at home. Either he was out during the day and only came back late at night, or he slept when the sun was high in the sky (well, behind the clouds), and went out after nine p.m. So most of the time, Sehun was alone.

                When he asked Sehyun what he was doing when he wasn’t in the house, his older brother muttered something about a girl and some guys in the village. Sehun sighed. But even his brother was a person and he would have wanted him to stay at home so that they would be bored together. But no, Sehyun seemed to have decided that Sehun would have to find something to do by himself.

 

 

 

~

 

 

 

                “, a storm,” Sehun cursed when he heard the thunder. “That’s all we need.”

                “Well, go to bed, it’s past midnight,” Sehyun retorted. For once, he had been at home during the day, and he was still there. Sehun glared at him anyway but when he yawned, he just had to agree: it was late.

                “Okay, good night,” he muttered before climbing the stairs. As always (well, he had taken this habit after a week), he walked a little faster when he went past the third room. He knew it was stupid, especially as here was nothing in that room, but it scared him. In fact, he was rather scaring himself, as it was him who had decided this room was creepy.

                He quickly brushed his teeth using the pretty sink, and changed into his pyjamas. Once he was in his bed, he didn’t have to wait for long; at least, this was a good thing: he always fell asleep quickly in this house. So Sehun just closed his eyes, and barely five minutes later, he was asleep.

                He was woken up a few hours later by a particularly violent thunderclap. Slowly, he sat up and looked around, but the room, on top of being horribly cold, was so dark it was as if he hadn’t opened his eyes. A lightning lit the room up for a split second. “Oh God,” Sehun whispered to himself. If there was something he wasn’t proud of, it was his cowardice. He was scared by about everything.

                For once, he really wished his brother was with him. Why had he chosen the room at the far end of the corridor? Sehun slapped himself mentally. But anyway, Sehyun might even not be there – he was surely somewhere else, as usual. For the hundredth time, Sehun wondered where.

                Even if he couldn’t send text messages with it, his mobile phone was always within his hand reach, so he grabbed it and pressed a random button. He turned it towards his bedroom to light it a little. The walls seemed even dirtier like that. Sehun mustered up all his courage to get up.

                The corridor had never seemed so long, especially when he went past the third room and its scary closed door. Each step he took produced a creak of the wooden floor. And at last, after an eternity, he reached his brother’s room. He tried not to look down at the staircase. He knocked at the door.

                No answer came; either Sehyun was sleeping, or he wasn’t at home. Sehun prayed for the first option and turned the door knob.

                Too bad: it was the second option!

                Sehyun wasn’t there. Sehun repeated ‘’ at least twenty times and he stepped into the bedroom without really knowing why. Then he ran his hand against the wall, searching the button to light the lamp up. He found it after a minute of intense fear. He pushed it.

                It didn’t work.

                Of course.

                Sehun cursed again, even more rapidly and his voice even shakier. He walked to the window and looked through it. Or rather, he tried to; it was pitch dark outside and he couldn’t see anything. He kept touching his phone to be sure the screen wouldn’t turn dark.

 

                And suddenly he heard the stairs creak.

 

                Once.

 

                His heart stopped beating.

 

                Twice.

 

                Three, four times.

 

                Five, six, seven, eight.

 

                And then, little, fast creaks. He stopped counting.

 

                He thought he would faint; there was somebody in the stairs! Wishing it was his brother, Sehun turned around. It seemed to take an eternity; and finally, he was facing the staircase. He raised his mobile phone to light in front of him.

                There was nobody in the stairs.

                Sehun froze. There was nobody, there really was nobody! He stayed silent for a minute, the longest minute of his whole life – and then the stairs creaked again, just once. He started, dropped his mobile phone and it fell to the ground in a monstrous crashing noise. And the screen became black.

                It was the worst moment Sehun had even experienced; for several minutes, completely panicked, he looked for his phone, running his hand over the dusty ground. When he found it at last, he felt something was wrong – his phone had been completely broken up when it had fallen. He searched again, this time looking for the battery and the MIS card. At last, he felt something small and hard under his fingers, he picked it up and plugged it fastly into his telephone.

                He turned his mobile phone on, and suddenly the room was lit up. He breathed again. But he wasn’t safe yet; although the stairs hadn’t creaked since he had dropped his phone and the house was dead silent again, Sehun was still scared to death. He knew he wouldn’t have the mental strength to walk along the corridor to go back to his bedroom so he lied down on his brother’s bed.

                For the first time, he only fell asleep an hour later.

 

 

 

~

 

 

 

                “What the heck are you doing in my bed?” Sehyun said the next morning, waking Sehun up with a start. The younger boy rubbed his forehead. He had kept his phone in his hand for the whole night. His brother gave him a weird look.

                “Nothing,” Sehun answered. They looked at each other for several minutes, and he thought to know whether he felt like telling Sehyun about what had happened during the night. Finally, he decided he would – he had been too scared and he was too curious. “Last night, there was a storm so I went into your room because I – (Sehyun smirked and Sehun glared at him.) But of course, you weren’t there… But when I was here, the stairs creaked as if there was someone climbing them. I looked at the stairs – but there wasn’t anybody!”

                “Maybe you’ve been dreaming. When you saw there was nobody, the stairs stopped creaking, didn’t they?” his brother retorted simply. Sehun shook his head.

                “No, they didn’t! Even if I didn’t see anybody, they kept creaking!”

                “It was the storm,” Sehyun said, frowning. But Sehun smirked; his brother didn’t fool him.

                “Of course,” he said sarcastically. “Of course.”

                But he knew there had been someone – whoever it was, there had been someone in the stairs the previous night.

                Sehun never called his parents; he let Sehyun do it every time. While his older brother went outside to go where he could find network (and surely to tell their parents Sehun had been scared by the storm and the stairs), he went in the kitchen and had breakfast.

                About a quarter later, he heard his name being called in the garden. “What?” he yelled.

                “Sehun!” he heard again. Cursing his brother, he got up, still holding his bowl of cereals, and walked to the back door, in the living-room. He opened it. He stepped in the garden, still wearing only his socks. The grass was soaking wet though, so he quickly jumped back into the house.

                “What?” he said again. Nobody answered. Yet, he was sure Sehyun had called him. Puzzled, he went back to the kitchen.

                His brother came back a while later. “Dad said you’re a drip,” he said with a smirk, sitting down at the table next to Sehun. He poured himself orange juice.

                “Shut the up,” Sehun replied coldly. “Why did you call me, a minute ago?”

                “I didn’t call you,” Sehyun retorted casually. “Why? Did you hear voices?” he added sarcastically.

                 “Stop making fun of me, Sehyun,” Sehun snapped. “It’s not amusing.”

                “Oh, but I really didn’t call you. I was on the phone, remember?” (He made a gesture with his thumb and his little finger to mime a phone call.

                Sehun glared at him but couldn’t help feeling weird – if Sehyun hadn’t called him…then, who had?

 

 

 

~

 

 

 

                After one more week, Sehun concluded the house was haunted. Sehyun was even less often at home now, and Sehun spent all his nights alone in his bedroom. He had taken the habit of double-locking his door and sleeping with another pillow against his ears to be sure he wouldn’t hear anything.

                But that wasn’t enough.

                One night, Sehun woke up violently. Although he tried to keep the pillow on his head while he was sleeping, it sometimes fell down to the ground. And this time, it wasn’t within hand reach.

                And he heard steps in the corridor.

                Even if Sehun didn’t believe in God, he prayed, stupidly.

                “Oh my God, they’re coming…they’re coming…” he whispered alone in his bed, feeling so cold he thought his blood would freeze in his veins. The light steps tapped the floor softly but made it creak like the stairs, thoug this time, they were coming closer to Sehun. Closer, closer, at each step.

                And then the moment when they arrived in front of his door came. They stopped there and Sehun couldn’t hear anything else than his own heartbeats. They sounded so loud in his ears he almost had the feeling someone was blowing against the wall with a hammer.

                Silence fell; a heavy silence.

                One, two, three, he heard knocks at the door. So soft, so light.

                He felt so scared he burrowed under his quilt and didn’t move. Though, he heard nothing else. No more knocks, no more steps. Either the person who had been there had left magically, or they were still in front of his door. He hoped they had left.

                Sehun didn’t go back to sleep.

 

 

 

~

 

 

 

                Sehun didn’t talk to Sehyun about the steps in the corridor, nor about the knocks at his door. He knew his brother would mock him. But he, he didn’t hear the noises at night. And the truth was that Sehun was scared. Scared to death.

                He felt as if he were acting in a bad horror movie. Every night, he had to keep his bedside lamp . Though, as he wasn’t able to fall asleep with light in his bedroom, he turned it off when he felt he was about to drift to sleep. Never before.

                “I don’t want to stay here,” he said one day to his father on the phone. (For once, he had accepted to make the phone call instead of letting his brother do it.)

                “And why not?” Mr Oh retorted.

                “There’s someone else in the house,” Sehun said nervously.

                “Of course there is!” his father said, laughing. “There’s Sehyun!”

                “I’m not talking about him!” Sehun snapped. “I mean someone else. Dad, there is…”

                He left his sentence unfinished. He knew that if he even said the first letter of ‘ghost’, his father would make fun of  him until he died. So he decided to finally pretend that he had realised he had been wrong.

                “There is…” he repeated. “No, there isn’t anybody, you’re right.”

                “Good!” Mr Oh replied. “Now goodbye, son. Say hello to your brother.”

                “Yeah…” Sehun muttered before hanging up. Of course, what had he been thinking? That his father would believe him, panic and come immediately to drive Sehyun and him back home? That was foolish. He sighed and put his phone back in his pocket. He went back in the house.

                “So, what did he say?” his brother asked him, smirking, once he entered the living-room.

                “He didn’t believe me,” Sehun answered darkly. Sehyun laughed and the younger boy suddenly had the urge to kill him – but he breathed in deeply and added as calmly as he could, “So I told him I was wrong.”

                “Wow, Oh Sehun said something correct for the first time in his life!” Sehyun exclaimed, and he burst out laughing. Sehun balled up his hands into fists and clenched his teeth. Without a word, he went upstairs to read a book.

 

 

 

~

 

 

 

                However, compared to what happened at the beginning of the third week, everything that Sehun had experienced since Sehyun and him had arrived at their grandmother’s house was really not scary at all.

                When Sehun woke up in the middle of the night, he knew instantly something was wrong. Terribly wrong.

                He felt something, something that scared him so much he couldn’t even scream. He was petrified. He felt a finger his cheek. He stopped breathing, he didn’t even blink. There was a finger his cheek.

                For several minutes, Sehun stayed lying in his bed on his side, not moving a single inch, so motionless he could have seemed dead – if his heart hadn’t been beating so fast in his chest. The finger was cold. Like a ghost, he thought. But at the same time, it was touching him almost affectionately, gently.

                That was even scarier.

                All of a sudden, Sehun started as he felt five fingers and a palm, a real hand, rest on his cheek. He opened his mouth to scream, but nothing came. And then, the hand was gone.

                Gone. His cheek was free, there wasn’t anything on it anymore. But it felt as if it were on fire; he could have retraced every the finger had traced. His heart pounding inside of his chest, Sehun rolled on the bed, now lying on his back and facing the ceiling.

                And then, he heard the most beautiful and the most frightening thing he had ever heard.

                A laugh.

                It sounded so crystalline; it seemed to come from far away and yet it was as loud as if the person laughing had been just next to Sehun.

                The dark-haired boy nearly started crying in fear. His digged his nails in to his palms and curled up into a ball, trying to reassure himself. A  few minutes later, it started raining outside. He didn’t hear the laugh again, however he didn’t fall asleep again that night either.

 

 

 

~

 

 

 

                When the sun rose the next day, Sehun knew he had to act right then. The first time, he had heard steps in the stairs. After that, the steps had walked along the corridor. Someone had knocked at his door. And the previous night… This person had touched his cheek. So they had entered his room although it was double-locked.

                He quickly got up and checked whether he had really locked his door – maybe he had forgotten to do it. But no. It was double-locked indeed. Sehun started to feel dizzy and a little nauseous. He walked back to his bed and collapsed on it.

                It was obvious, the ghost – or the thing that was in the house kept getting closer and closer to him. So what would it do next time? Sehun shivered as he imagined a hundred of things, each more horrible than the last.

                That night, he would take special measures.

                When the sun started to hide behind the trees and the sky started to get darker, Sehun climbed the stairs and went to his room calmly. He had decided to sleep during the whole night. After all, the thing wouldn’t be able to scare him if he was asleep. So for once, he had an early night. And as usual, he fell asleep within minutes.

                But his plan failed. He woke up when the sky was still as black as nothingness. He swallowed difficultly. It wasn’t like when you half wake up and you know you’re going to go back to sleep in a few seconds. He was fully awake. And he would not fall asleep again.

                As if he had launched something by waking up, a loud crashing noise resonated in the bathroom behind the wall next to him. Sehun started and thought he would have a heart attack. Then, the silence. He listened; it was almost more frightening than noise. He felt like he was deaf and blind – his ears seemed to be blocked up and he couldn’t see anything.

                He heard a few light steps in the fourth room, as he called it, then a door creaked for what seemed an eternity, filling the entire house with the shrill sound it produced. Sehun started to shake and burrowed a little more under the bed sheets as if he hoped they would protect him from the ghost – now he was sure, it was a ghost.

                The steps made the floor creak; they were of course coming to Sehun’s room. They were fast and almost sounded like the person walking was skipping along. Gripping his mobile phone tightly but not even daring to turn the screen on, the dark-haired boy prayed once again.

                Please anybody, do something for me…, he thought stupidly.

                And then he heard the knocks. One, two, three. His heart exploded a little at each one of them. Silence fell. The person standing in front of the door of his room seemed to be waiting for an answer. Of course, Sehun didn’t say anything, he was way too frightened.

                He heard something click and realised it was the lock. Yet, no key had entered it. Completely at a loss and scared to death, he closed his eyes tightly, waiting for anything to happen. He might as well die right then, he didn’t care. He just wanted to stop being afraid.

                Slowly and soundly, the door knob turned, producing the most horrible sound he had ever heard. He was clenching his fist so hard he thought for a second he might break his phone. It seemed to take an eternity and even more, but…

                The door opened.

 

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: The door opened, then.

I hope you liked this chapter~ Tell me what you think about it ^^

Here's a plan of the house:

 

 

 

 

Here~

Now you can imagine the house better. However, if you imagined it an other way, then keep doing so :D

Please comment and subscribe, it makes me incredibely happy!