Tantrums

I Don't Have The Heart

Sunday...

Dara woke up feeling gloomy.
She went down and greeted her mother in the kitchen.

"Why good morning, sweetie." Mrs. Park puts a plate in front of Dara, who just slumped down into the chair with a sullen face.

Seeing the delicious pancakes her mother made, she started eating silently.

"Are you feeling well?" Mrs. Park asked as she sat at the chair across her.

"Mmm." Dara nodded.

"Do you any plans for today?"

Dara shook her head.

Mrs. Park stood up from her seat headed to the fridge to get something.
She walked back and placed a big chocolate bar beside her daughter's plate.
Dara looked up at her wondering.

"That's from your Jiyong oppa. He came here last night." Mrs. Park said with a smile. "He said he's coming later."

Dara acted nonchalant.

"Omma, I think I'm coming down with the flu." She suddenly said.

"Really?" Mrs. Park asked sounding surprised. "You said you're fine just a moment ago."

She put her hand on Dara's forehead. "Feels normal to me."

Dara sniffled and gave out a fake sneeze.

"I think I caught it last night." She said.

Mrs. Park raised an eyebrow.

The phone suddenly rang.

"I'll get that." Mrs. Park said.

Dara got to her feet and headed to the living room.

"Sweetie, Jiyongie's on the phone."

Dara went back to the kitchen and motioned that she can't answer the phone then she let out a fake sneeze.

Mrs. Park rolled her eyes when she saw her daughter hurriedly ran up to her room.

"Uhm Jiyong-ah, I think it's not the best time to come." She said on the phone.

"She's still mad at me huh, omoni?" Jiyong asked.

"Don't worry, it'll pass. You know her." She assured him.

"I'm really sorry, omoni."

Mrs. Park laughed. "You don't have to apologize to me, Jiyong-ah."

**********

Dara was busy typing on her laptop when she heard a knock.

"Sweetie?" Her mom entered the room with a tray of food.

"Omma, why did you bring the food here? I can just go down and eat lunch you know." She said helping her mother.

"I thought you're sick?"

Dara froze and pretended to sniffle.

"Yes, but I can still move around." She said putting the tray on her study table.

"You can move around but you can't talk and face Jiyong." Mrs. Park went to sit on her bed.

Dara turned to look at her mother.

She opened to say something in her defense but she closed instead and frowned.

Mrs. Park pats the space next to her indicating she sat beside her.

"Mianhe, omma." She mumbled, sitting down. "I didn't mean to lie."

Her mother smiled at her. "I understand."

"Why don't you just talk to Jiyong? He said he was sorry for forgetting."

"Omma, I'm really mad and I can't bring myself to talk to him yet." Dara explained.

"Aigoo." Mrs. Park sighed as she embraces her daughter.

"Dara-ah, remember this." She said. "As you and your Jiyong oppa get older, you'll discover that your interests will change. But don't let that ruin your friendship. Being the best of

friends doesn't mean that you have to do things together all the time. Sometimes you need to grow separately to get to know yourselves better."

Dara pouted her lips. "I know that, omma." She said.

"It's like when he joined the music club and basketball varsity. I joined the dance club instead since I'm not into those."

"Yes, sweetie. Somewhat like that." Mrs. Park said while brushing her daughter's hair with her hand.

"You mean to say that I should accept the changes even if I'm not used to it?" She asked.

"Let's just say that your Jiyong oppa is now starting to explore the real world." Mrs. Park said.

"Without me." Dara mumbled.

"Not without you, Dara-ah. Whatever happens, you will always be his best friend." Her mother explained. "You should be supporting him at a time like this. I'm sure he'll do the

same if you're in his position."

Dara looked at her as if she said the most disgusting thing in the world.

"Eeewww, omma!" She exclaimed. "Me? Have a boyfriend? No way!! Ewwww... Gross!"

"Why not? I think you're old enough for puppy love."

"Gosh mom, you're totally speaking foreign." Dara grimaced.

Mrs. Park laughed.

"It's normal, sweetie. I had mine too when I was your age. Look at Jiyong."

Dara gasped.

"Omma, the day I find myself crushing on someone is the day Ji and I will stop being best friends."

"Whoa!" Mrs. Park exclaimed, surprised at her daughter's statement. "What's that got to do with your friendship?"

"It means...." Dara paused to think. She didn't know either why she said that.

"It means it's impossible."

*********

"She's still doesn't wanna talk to you, huh?" Chaerin asked.

She heard his boyfriend let out a heavy sigh.

"Do you want me to call her, oppa? I can explain to her everything." She offered.

"No thanks, Chaerin-ah." Jiyong refused. "I can handle this."

"Oppa,"

"Uh,"

"I really feel bad about this." She said quietly.

Jiyong can sense the sadness in her voice.

"Hey, it's not your fault." He said in a gentle voice. "I'm the one who messed up."

He could hear heavy breathing on the other line.

"Chaerin-ah, don't worry about it. I'll fix everything, okay?" He said, trying to calm her. "You know Dara; she's just having her usual tantrums. It'll pass."

'I think I heard that from someone.' He thought, remembering what Mrs. Park told him earlier.

"Are you sure, oppa?" Chaerin asked sounding worried. "What if she's angry with me too?”

"Believe me. She's not angry with you."He assured her.

"Jiyong-ah," He heard her mother called from his open door. "Wooyoung's on the phone."

"Ye, omma."

"Chaerin-ah, I'll call you later, okay?"

After saying their goodbyes, Jiyong picked up the wireless phone from his bedside table.

"Yah!" He heard Wooyoung's voice thundered on the other line.

"Hello to you too, dude!"

"What the hell happened last night?" Wooyoung eagerly asked. "I couldn't get a hold of you both. Now omoni is telling me that Dara can't come to the phone because she's saying

she's sick. You better tell me what's going on Kwon Jiyong."

"Okay now breathe." Jiyong said.

"Jiyong!"

"Alright, alright. Wow, whatta temper." He sneered. "Geez! I swear, Dara really looks up to you. She's got your temper-"

"Jiyong!" Wooyoung warned.

"Arasseo," Jiyong sighed.

He started narrating what happened yesterday.

**********

Monday...

Mrs. Park and Dara just finished having breakfast.
While Dara was getting ready for school, Mrs. Park was in the kitchen checking her messages from work through her laptop.

Like always, Dara waits for Jiyong and the Kwon's driver, Mr. Nam, to come pick her up for school.

Jiyong is a senior while Dara is a junior in their school.

Mrs. Park heard her daughter running down the stairs.

"Sweetie?" She called from the kitchen.

"In the living room, omma."

She went to the living room and found her daughter all dressed up for school.
She checked the time and frowned.

"Why are you in a hurry?" She asked. "Is Jiyong going to pick you up early?"

"Nope. I'll go to school alone." Dara replied while slipping her shoes on.

Mrs. Park blinked. "What did you just said? I'm not sure if I'm hearing you right."

Dara straightened her uniform. "I said I'm going to school by myself."

Mrs. Park's eyes widened then she put her hands on her hips. "And how exactly are you going to get there?"

Dara glanced at her mother and raised an eyebrow. "By bus, of course."

"Sweetie, you never commuted alone before. Especially not without Jiyong. How are you going to survive out there?" Mrs. Park worriedly asked. "What if you get lost?"

Dara let out a chuckle.

"Omma, I can still go to school without Jiyong, and besides, I still know how to ride a bus." She assured her.

"But that was three years ago." Mrs. Park reasoned out. "The three of you would only ride the bus when all of us are busy."

"Omma! Whatever happened to your 'Sometimes you need to grow separately to get to know yourselves more.' lecture?"

Mrs. Park crossed her arms over her chest and raised an eyebrow.

"So this is about Jiyong."

"Omma, I'll be going." Dara said avoiding a long conversation.

She quickly headed to the front door then she turned around and smiled at her mother.

"Don't worry omma, I can handle myself. I'll call you as soon as I step inside our school. Have a good day at work. Bye!" She waved and closed the door behind her.

**********

"She what?!!!" Jiyong freaked out when he heard what Dara just did.

After talking to Mrs. Park on the phone he quickly grabbed his things and ran out of the house.

"School. Now!" He instructed Mr. Nam when he entered the car.

"But Jiyong-ah, aren't we going to pick up Dara?" The old man asked.

"She already went ahead." He annoyingly replied. "And please ajhusshi, don't ask why."

The driver just nods his head and started the engine.

"What the hell was she thinking?" He said out loud while pressing his cellphone against his ear.

He called Dara's cellphone but it was unreachable.

"Aishhh!" He hissed under his breath.

Mr. Nam was looking at the rearview mirror watching his young master throw fits at the back of the car.

**********

Dara excitedly stepped down the bus.

"At last," She smiled while looking up the sky.

Seeing the school gate made her feel proud of herself.

"This isn't so bad after all." She said.

While walking inside the school lobby, she caught sight of Chaerin standing at a corner talking to some of their classmates.

Hoping that her friend hasn’t seen her yet, she retreated and went to a different direction.


Coincidentally, Chaerin saw her turning around.

'Is that Dara?' She wondered. 'She's early."

She excused herself from the others and decided to follow her friend.

**********

Dara didn't really know where she wants to go, but she just followed where her feet lead her.
She kept walking and later found her way to a staircase leading to the school building's rooftop.

Dara looked down to see the view of the school ground.

"Dara," She heard someone calling from behind.

She was surprised to see Chaerin walking towards her with a smile.

"What are you doing here?" She asked.

Dara bit her lips and gave her an awkward smile. "Breathing some fresh air."

Chaerin went beside her and looked down.

"Wow, the view here is beautiful." She beamed. "You can almost see the whole school from here."

Dara went back to looking at the view.

"You're early." She heard her friend said.

"Yeah," She simply replied.

"Are you and Jiyong oppa okay now?" Chaerin suddenly asked.

Dara shrugged her shoulders.

"It's my entire fault, Dara." Chaerin said, turning her head to look at her. "I shouldn't have invited him to watch a movie with me last Saturday--"

"No, it's not your fault." Dara cut her off. "Jiyong was just being a jerk, that's all."

Chaerin pouted. She felt sad that her friend is still mad at Jiyong.


A phone ringing interrupted their moment.

"Ne, she's with me." Chaerin said on the phone. "Right wing, rooftop."

She slid back her cellphone inside her pocket.

"That was oppa." She announced. "He's looking for you."

Dara just looked at her, expressionless.
She didn't know if she was ready to face Jiyong that day, but she doesn't want to make her friend feel guilty about their situation.

'If I have to act cool about it, then Ill do it.' She thought to herself.

She forced a smile and reached for Chaerin's hand. "Why don't you tell me how your date went."

'Tell me how their date went??!!!' She repeated in her mind. 'Dara, you fool!'

Chaerin smiled shyly at her. "Oppa's so romantic and sweet."

Dara couldn't help but grimace but she quickly feigned a smile.

"After the movie, he brought me to this ice cream parlor. What's that name?" She stopped to think.

"Snowy Treats." Dara mumbled.

"Yes! That's the name." Chaerin giggled.

"I know."

"Oh, did Jiyong oppa told you?"

"No." She replied, gazing back to the school ground.

"How did you know?" Chaerin asked looking confused.

Dara smiled bitterly. "I was there. I saw you there last Saturday."

"Jungmal???" Chaerin's eyes widened. "Why didn't you join us-"

"PARK SANDARA!!" A loud familiar voice made them turn around.

Jiyong was heading towards them with raging look in his eyes.
He was specifically staring at someone in particular.

Standing in front of the two girls, he looked away from Dara and glanced at Chaerin.

"Hi, Chaerin." He greeted her with a big smile then he immediately gaze back at Dara.

His expression rapidly changed.

"YOU!!" He growled pointing his finger at her.

"What has gotten into your freaking mind, D??!! Who told you to go to school by yourself???!!! I was so worried!!!" He said in a rather shouting manner.

"I-I just-" Dara stuttered knowing he made him pissed this time.

But then she remembered she was also pissed at him.

Flashbacks of what Jiyong did to her and what she saw in the ice cream parlor last Saturday repeated in her mind.

Her face suddenly darkened.

"Oh now your angry. That's great. NOT! Don't you dare look at me like that young lady." Jiyong warned her. "You had been a pain in the tushie since yesterday. And what's with the 'not

answering my phone calls'??!! You ought to--"

He stopped when he noticed Dara's eyes were welling up and her lips trembling.

'Uh-oh' He thought.

"D, I-"

"I HATE YOU KWON JIYONG!!!!" Dara screamed in his face then she quickly ran off leaving the couple stunned.

Jiyong was speechless. His mouth hanging open.

"Oppa." Chaerin uttered.

He forced out a laugh and shook his head in disbelief.

"Did you see that?" He said glancing at her while pointing to where Dara went.

"She said she hates me!" He scoffed.

"She hates me." He repeated in a whisper.

He put his hand on his nape while looking up.

Chaerin heard him sighed loudly in frustration.

"I need to talk to her." He was about to take a step but Chaerin held onto his arm.

"Give her time." She told him.

"Ani, Chaerin-ah. I already gave her the whole day yesterday." He reasoned out, gently removing her hand off him.

She held on tighter. "She saw us."

Jiyong gave her a confused look. "S-saw us? What do you mean saw us?" He asked.

"Last Saturday, at Snowy Treats." She said. "Dara was there. She saw us."

Jiyong ran both his hands through his hair.

"Aggghhh.. Why is she making it difficult for me?!" He gritted his teeth as he kick the cement wall near them.

Chaerin took his hands.

"Don't get mad at her." She softly said. "She still hasn't adjusted oppa. Having you by her side all the time is something she got used to. It's quite different now because you have

me."

She lowered her gaze. "I shouldn't have come between the two of you."

Jiyong stared at her. He knows she was blaming herself for what's happening to him and Dara.

He sighed and wrapped her arms around her.

"Hey, I told you not to blame yourself, Chaerin-ah. It's not your fault." He let go of her and put his hands on top of her shoulders.

"Look at me." She was avoiding his gaze. "Look at me Chaerin-ah."

She finally gave in.

"This is the last time you're blaming yourself, okay?"

She nods her head slowly.

Jiyong kissed her lightly on the forehead. "Everything's going to be alright. I'll talk to her later."