Chapter VI; Anansi

Spirit Wars
chapter six
⚖Anansi

 


The cold night air washed over KyuJong as he stepped out onto the rooftop. His first thought was how did it get cold so fast? before the spectacle playing out right in front of him took his breath away.

A massive blue snake spirit was fighting a white armadillo just two buildings down, the snake taking up half the roof on his own. The way the blue shown out of the snake’s scales jogged something in KyuJong’s memory, and he had the distinct feeling he’d seen that snake spirit before.

Only the last time he had, the snake hadn’t been this large.

The armadillo was avoiding the snake’s attacks, rolling itself into a ball. On another rooftop, the two Keepers watched the battle. Looking past them, KyuJong saw pockets of color burst and fade against the night sky all across the city. The sight of so many spirit battles was enough for him to forget how to breathe. Were there really that many spirit beasts in Seoul?

“It’s amazing, isn’t it?”

KyuJong turned around at the voice from directly behind him. KiBum stood by the entrance to the stairs, the wind plucking at his clothes. Pantera appeared out of the shadows by his feet, the younger brother’s gaze not on the spirit battle playing out in front of them but on KyuJong instead. “Pantera said you can see her,” he said quietly. “But that you don’t have a spirit beast. How is that possible?”

Drawing in a deep breath, KyuJong turned towards KiBum. “I’m not sure myself. I just can. How long have you been her Keeper?”

KiBum walked towards the edge of the roof, looking out across at the battling spirits. “Since Wednesday. I didn’t want to believe it at first, but then I came up here at night and saw…this. Every night without fail, there’s battles going on somewhere in the city. It’s a little overwhelming.”

KyuJong nodded, turning back to the battle. The snake had defeated the armadillo, one of the Keepers crumbling to the rooftop. The remaining Keeper KyuJong could see even from here was in his early thirties. The snake’s Keeper picked up the one who’d lost the battle, carrying him on his back. The snake spirit disappeared, the blue light reabsorbed into his Keeper’s skin.

“That’s Daniel and Jormungand,” KiBum said. “I spoke with him last night. He said he doesn’t pick on new Keepers,” he snorted quietly, looking down.

KyuJong watched KiBum’s expression. “Are you nervous?”

“No,” KiBum replied, a little too quickly. He sighed and shook his head. “Can you really blame me? I have no idea what I’m doing. Those Keepers I’ve met so far aren’t very…nice towards new guys like me, apparently there’s no point making friends when most new Keepers don’t last a month. And the idea of losing my memories if I lose a challenge is a little…scary.”

Pantera padded to KiBum’s side and butted the side of his leg lightly. Looking down at her, KiBum’s lips quirked ruefully and he absently brushed one hand against her fur. “Plus keeping her secret from my friends and brother’s one hell of a challenge. Just because they can’t see her doesn’t mean they can’t trip over her. HyungJoon’s already stepped on her tail.”

“Choco doesn’t seem to like her, either,” KyuJong pointed out.

“Choco doesn’t like cats,” KiBum laughed, shaking his head.

“Can’t you keep her hidden? Like that guy just did with that massive snake?” KyuJong nodded towards where Daniel had gone inside.

KiBum’s lips quirked from side to side. “I can…but she doesn’t really like staying hidden like that. Some spirits do, some don’t. Pantera gets testy when she has to stay hidden for too long, the bus rides are bad enough.” He messed up his hair with one hand. “I just wish I had someone to turn to for advice. I don’t know what I’m supposed to be doing, and with the way things are going I won’t last a week.”

Chewing on his lower lip, KyuJong thought for a moment. “…I know a Keeper who’s pretty friendly,” he said slowly. “In fact, I’m going to meet him tomorrow. Maybe you can tag along?

KiBum perked up at that. “…Really? Sure. Hyung’ll ask questions if he sees us though, so maybe we could meet outside the building.”

KyuJong winced; he hadn’t thought about HyungJoon. From what he knew of his new friend, HyungJoon would probably want to tag along and that would defeat the whole purpose of trying to talk to SungMin. “Uh…good idea.”

They figured out a time to meet, and spent a good hour just watching the spirit battles start and finish across the city. Standing in silence with KiBum didn’t feel as awkward as it had before; this was a secret they shared, and that secret brought them closer.

“Thanks, really.” KiBum turned towards him finally, looking a little happier than he had before. “I have to go, but I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“Night,” KyuJong watched him go before turning back towards the city. After spending so many years searching for spirit beasts, he felt like he could stay here and watch the battles all night.

The hairs on the back of his neck prickled, sending shivers down his spine. Someone was watching him, he could feel it. KyuJong looked around, trying to see where the feeling was coming from.

Turning around, his eyes landed on the rooftop just across from him. Soft blue light outlined large paws and a majestic, striped fur coat. Sapphire eyes locked onto KyuJong’s and held his gaze, leaving him unable to speak or look away.

”Hold steady, Center.”

A strong wind blew into KyuJong’s face and he flinched, shutting his eyes for a split second. When he opened them again, the tiger spirit was gone.

 

 

 

 

“This is the place?”

KiBum stopped outside Hongdae Moon Café and looked up at the sign skeptically. KyuJong didn’t blame him; the place looked run-down no matter the time of day. Hopefully SungMin would have time to talk.

When they stepped into the coffee shop though, he saw that wasn’t the case. There was a surprising amount of people, and SungMin looked like he was the only one working.

“Oh, hi!” SungMin shouted when he saw KyuJong, barely glancing at KiBum. “Go in the back, I’ll be right there.” He bustled past with an armful of plates.

“Uh…that was him, but I think he’s a little preoccupied,” KyuJong winced, looking at KiBum. The younger man shrugged, as if to say ‘what can be done?’

KyuJong led the way to the back, behind the counter. Looking around for Yuetu, he grinned when he saw the pink rabbit perched on a counter that must have taken him forever to get on top of. “Hey you.” He picked up Yuetu on his way into the back, letting the rabbit snuggle into his shirt.

“Who’s this?” KiBum asked, eyes bright as he peered over KyuJong’s shoulder. It occurred to KyuJong then that as nervous as KiBum was about being a Keeper, he was still just as amazed as KyuJong.

“This is Yuetu, SungMin’s spirit beast.” KyuJong turned around to show KiBum the armful of rabbit.  Yuetu leaned over to sniff KiBum’s sleeve. “Careful, he’ll try to eat anything.”

“He’s cute,” KiBum grinned, petting Yuetu lightly. A small burst of shadows by his feet signaled Pantera’s arrival. “Pantera, meet Yuetu…oh.” KiBum suddenly flushed, looking at KyuJong sheepishly. “Apparently they already know each other. I’m the slow one.”

KyuJong laughed at that, crouching a little so Yuetu and Pantera were on eye level. The two spirit beasts sniffed at each other in their own greeting.

KiBum grinned widely, watching them. Something caught his attention and he looked up, eyes slowly widening. “Uh…KyuJong?”

“Hm?” KyuJong looked up at the younger man, who was staring over his head.

“Don’t panic or anything, but there’s a massive spider about to land on your head.”

KyuJong quickly moved away, Yuetu scrambling out of his arms when he nearly dropped the rabbit. When he looked back, he saw KiBum hadn’t been joking. The spider hanging from the ceiling was almost twice the size of his hand. It landed on the floor, giving off a crimson glow. Yuetu squeaked and pounced for it, sending the oversized spider skittering across the floor and up onto a counter.

“No customers allowed back here,” drawled a condescending voice. KyuJong and KiBum looked away from the spider to see a stranger by the back offices, hands in his pockets. His eyes landed on KyuJong. “You’re the new hire?”

“Yeah…” KyuJong slowly stood up, looking back at the spider. It was crawling across the counter towards the stranger. To his surprise, the stranger held out one hand and let the spider go up his arm to his shoulder.

“Sorry, sorry, we got slammed all of a sudden,” SungMin walked past, panting a little. He headed towards the kitchens before stopping and looking back at them. “KyuHyun, Yuetu says it’s too early for you to be this much of an . Stop trying to scare the new help and the…I don’t even know who you are,” SungMin blinked at KiBum.

“This is KiBum, he’s Pantera’s new Keeper,” KyuJong said, looking between SungMin and the guy he’d called KyuHyun. “He wanted to talk to you whenever you have a moment.”

“I’ll have a moment as soon as I get these orders to the kitchen. KyuHyun, it’s crazy out there, would you mind?” SungMin hurried off to the kitchens.

“He says you can see spirit beasts,” KyuHyun walked past KyuJong, eyeing him. The spider had disappeared. “Watch your step.” He continued out into the front of the coffee shop.

”That’s Anansi and his Keeper,” a tiny voice piped up. ”His Keeper’s father runs the place, but KyuHyun’s the one who takes care of day-to-day business.”

Startled by the sudden voice, KyuJong looked around. Who had that been? “Who said that?”

“Who said what?” KiBum blinked, looking at him.

“Someone just said…they sounded like a little kid,” KyuJong replied, confused. He couldn’t see anyone near them.

“Back, sorry,” SungMin called, reaching them. “We can talk in one of the back offices while KyuHyun’s spotting for me. Normally he handles new hires, but all the paperwork is making him kinda crazy right now.” He picked up Yuetu from the floor and slung the rabbit over his shoulder, heading towards the offices. “Come on, both of you.”

KiBum and KyuJong exchanged a look before following. “What did he mean by ‘watch your step’?” KyuJong frowned.

“Who? KyuHyun? He’s just trying to freak you out, it’s what he does best. Or he could have just meant not to step on Anansi by mistake. Anansi’s his spider spirit.” SungMin unlocked an office door and stepped inside.

“…How do you fight a spider?” KiBum asked, confused as he followed with Pantera.

SungMin gave a long-suffering sigh. “Greenhorn, the first thing you need to learn is not to underestimate Keepers and spirits just because they’re small. Anansi is a tactical genius, and has wrapped up many opponents in his webs. He can also change size at will; try being cocky against a spider the size of a dog.” He placed Yuetu down on the desk before sitting down behind it. “Physical power isn’t everything.”

“Sorry,” KiBum’s shoulders slumped a little. “That’s…kind of why I’m here, actually. I don’t know the first thing about what I’m doing, and I don’t want to really lose my memory a week from now.”

SungMin blinked. “So you’re here for advice, then?” He snorted, leaning back. “First time a newbie’s asked me, the rabbit Keeper, for advice. But sure, I’ll help you out.”

KiBum’s expression lit up in relief at that, and KyuJong smiled as he sat down across from SungMin. KiBum took the only seat left, Pantera lying down beside him and yawning widely.

“I’m sorry, are we boring you?” SungMin looked at Pantera in amusement. “You must have gone through the whole ‘Keeper introductory phase’ ten times this year alone. Ah well. KyuJong,” he looked up at KyuJong with a bright smile. “Got your schedule?”

“Yeah,” KyuJong held out the piece of paper. SungMin snatched it and looked over the schedule, pouty lips pursed.

“Okay, so you’ll be free to work after classes these days?” He pointed to Tuesday and Friday. “And all-day Saturday?” When KyuJong nodded, SungMin grinned. “Those are perfect; I’m missing people those days and KyuHyun’s too busy to come in most weeks. Oh, if you haven’t realized by now, he’s the owner’s son. So try not to piss him off, I’m the only one who can do that and get away with it.”

KyuJong held back from saying he had already been told KyuHyun was the owner’s son; he still wasn’t entirely sure who had spoken in the first place. “I don’t make a habit of pissing people off,” he grinned sheepishly.

“Good,” SungMin snorted. He looked back at KiBum. “I get off work at nine tonight. If you’re still interested by then, we can head to the rooftops and get some training in.”

“Is that what some of those lights are at night?” KiBum asked. “They’re not all challenges?”

“Keepers don’t always issue formal challenges; sometimes we just train together. We’re not all Hunters.”

“Hunters?” KyuJong asked at the unfamiliar term. From the confusion on KiBum’s face, he had been about to ask the same thing.

SungMin’s lips quirked from side to side. “Consider them…Keepers who have made it their profession to win as many challenges as possible. Some Hunters will travel the whole world in search of a challenge. The reasons for being a Hunter vary; some want to cut out all the weak links, some just enjoy the thrill. Many of them ultimately search for and challenge the Spirit King.”

Seeing the continued confusion in their expressions, SungMin sighed loudly and leaned back. “…Okay. The Spirit King is the strongest Keeper in a given area. For example, there’s the Spirit King of Eastern Asia. The rest of Asia have their own Spirit Kings. They’re considered the pillar of strength from which all spirit beasts draw their power. But at the heart of it they’re Keepers just like the rest of us, and they can be challenged and defeated. Whoever defeats them becomes the next Spirit King.”

He tapped his fingers against the table. “It’s a great honor and responsibility to be Spirit King. Since the whole region draws strength from them, the spirit beasts in any region are only as strong as the King is. A weak King threatens the whole region. So in a way, Hunters serve the purpose of continuously challenging the Spirit Kings, keeping them strong or getting rid of them. For the rest of us though? Hunters can range from being a mild annoyance to very dangerous threats.”

“…Why would they be threats?” KiBum asked quietly.

“Many of them consider challenges a sport instead of a duty towards their spirit beasts. Some Hunters won’t stop at anything to challenge and defeat their targets,” SungMin glanced at him. “Their methods can be dirty, and that’s the nice way to put it. My advice, if you run into a Hunter while you’re still new? Make sure he or she thinks you’re not a threat. If the Hunters believe you’re a worthy opponent, you won’t have any peace, especially with the reputation Pantera has. Paired with a decent Keeper, she’s made even experienced Hunters themselves in fright.”

“Oh,” KiBum winced, looking down at Pantera.

SungMin shook his head, standing. “I have to head back out in front. KyuJong, here’s some paperwork for you to sign,” he pushed a folder across the table. “KiBum, unless you’re going to hang around and buy coffee for several hours, come back after closing tonight.”

“Yeah…I’ve got some things to think about,” KiBum nodded, standing. “Thanks, for helping. I’ll see you later, KyuJong.”

“See you,” KyuJong smiled up at him, watching KiBum go.

SungMin sighed when KiBum left, shaking his head ruefully. “…Decent kid. Hope he lasts. I’ll be out in front, KyuJong,” he flounced out and closed the office door behind him.

“I think he locked you in here with me,” KyuJong informed Yuetu, who was nibbling on the corner of the folder. Nudging the rabbit away, he opened the folder to start reading through the paperwork.

”Pantera will take care of him. You don’t have to worry so much.”

Blinking repeatedly, KyuJong slowly looked up at Yuetu with wide eyes. “…Did…was that you?” He whispered. “Did you really just speak?”

One ear flicking back and forth lazily. Yuetu’s voice seemed to come straight into his mind, the rabbit’s mouth not moving. “We can speak, just not usually to people other than our Keepers. You’re worried about Pantera’s Keeper.”

KyuJong frowned a little, trying to shake off the fact he was having a conversation with a rabbit. “Yeah, he’s…he’s a good kid. I don’t know what it would do to him or his brother if he lost his memories.”

”Family rarely notice anything different. Pantera likes him more than her last few Keepers. She doesn’t like his dog though.”

KyuJong snorted, shaking his head. “No, she and Choco didn’t seem to get along very well.”

Voices out in the hallway filtered into the office. KyuJong ignored them until he heard SungMin’s voice. “You’ve got to be kidding me.”

“I’m not kidding, they’re here,” KyuHyun replied, deeper voice serious. He lowered his tone then, KyuJong struggling to hear. After a quick mental argument and a glance at Yuetu, KyuJong got up and went to the door, leaning against it to listen.

“SungMin, I saw them downtown last night. There’s five of them, all from China.”

“What, they run out of decent targets in China?” SungMin paused. “They’re looking for the Spirit King, aren’t they.” It wasn’t a question.

“And they’ll pick off the rest of us in the meantime,” KyuHyun replied lowly. “We’ll have to warn whoever we can. No one else here’s ready to deal with Hunters right now.”

SungMin sighed softly. “No…they’re not ready. That’s what scares me.”

 

 


 

Another chapter, uploaded the proper day this time :D Subscribe, vote and/or comment if you liked!

I've commissioned the amazing amazing kitkii from Livejournal to draw KiBum/Pantera and SungMin/Yuetu! Will post them up when she's done with them :D

Thank you for my lovely commenters~! Muah <3

@Forever5501: LOL You're fast! All of them? And Yuetu makes the perfect interviewer. No one can resist a pink bunny.

@ping501: Kyu totally is oblivious to Joonie pining after him XDDD Poor Baby. He has no idea his 'competition' for Kyu's attention is spirit animals LOL

@Forest_pixi: Oh my god...I don't know how Kyu would survive with a spirit beast dog LOLOL Poor guy. Spike is Hongki's nickname? Didn't know that XDDD And lolol I've always thought any pairing could be good together depending on the situation? The plot's always been first for me, so I try to make pairings that make sense for the plot XD Kisses back!!