Chapter XII; Cipactli

Spirit Wars
chapter twelve
⚖Cipactli

 

 

“I’m free!”

KyuJong tried to hold back the laughter as HyungJoon did a happy dance down the street, earning several weird looks and nearly smashing into a light post in the process. When he almost tripped over an uneven piece of sidewalk, he retreated to KyuJong’s side sheepishly.

“Someone’s excited,” KyuJong smiled, watching his friend.

“Why wouldn’t I be? I’m out! A couple days early to boot!” HyungJoon puffed up happily.

“Daniel sshi said the injuries weren’t as bad as they thought, though if I catch you taking off those bandages early I’m shipping you right back to the hospital,” KyuJong warned, nudging his shoulder. “I’ll tell KiBum the same.”

“Yes mother,” HyungJoon groaned, slinging his arm over KyuJong’s shoulders. “Stop worrying Kyu, I’m fine. Even better now that I’m not stuck in one place all day. Where JungMin and HongKi can easily find me.”

“They weren’t that bad,” KyuJong snorted.

HyungJoon gave a long-suffering sigh. “They’re a couple of bullies, is what they are.”

“But they still came to see you and keep you company when you were whining about being bored.”

“Yeah, I suppose they did.” HyungJoon’s face fell. “They’re never going to let me live it down.” KyuJong laughed, shaking his head.

“So, where to? Back to the apartment?” The older man asked.

“No, let’s go see KiBum!” HyungJoon shook his head, grinning. “He’s working with those models today, doesn’t know I’m out. It’ll be a surprise. You coming along?”

KyuJong thought about that. He was supposed to meet SungMin tonight, and didn’t really want to miss it. But at the same time, he’d missed HyungJoon, and they still had several hours to go before the sun could set. He nodded, smiling widely. “Sure, I’ll come along.”

HyungJoon brightened. “Great! Let’s go, I know where they are.” Arm still around KyuJong’s shoulders, he steered the older man down the street. KyuJong let him, glad HyungJoon was up and about again. Seeing him in the hospital bed had been one of the worst things he’d ever experienced.

HyungJoon didn’t know anything about what had happened the night he got injured, but KyuJong was going to make it up to him. Somehow.

They arrived outside a large building completely owned by a famous entertainment agency. “This is where Kevin works?” KyuJong’s eyes widened a little. He’d known Kevin was a top model, but he’d had no idea just who the younger man worked for.

“Yeah, that’s how he ended up in practically every magazine and billboard in Seoul,” HyungJoon chuckled, steering them inside. “I still can’t believe he managed to get KiBum a contract here. This could really be his ticket to the top, you know?”

KyuJong looked around the large lobby, seeing a few security guards lingering. Chewing on his lower lip, he followed HyungJoon to the front desk. “Hi,” HyungJoon smiled widely at the receptionist. “My little brother has a modeling shoot here…Kim KiBum?”

“No visitors are allowed,” she said without looking up at them, going through papers on her desk.

“Oh,” HyungJoon deflated. “I just got out of the hospital, and was hoping I could surprise him…could you at least ring him and let him know there’s a surprise for him downstairs? Oh! Ring Woo Kevin instead, we’re friends,” he said hurriedly.

Kevin’s name got more of a reaction out of her, and she sighed before picking up the phone and pressing a number on the keypad. KyuJong and HyungJoon waited, listening as she spoke briefly to someone on the other end before hanging up. “Take a seat, he’ll be down shortly.”

HyungJoon was still pouting as KyuJong pulled him to sit down off to one side. “I wanted to surprise him,” he moped, KyuJong patting his back sympathetically.

“It’ll still be a surprise, he wasn’t expecting to see you out of the hospital for a couple days,” KyuJong smiled at him. HyungJoon peeked up at KyuJong and returned the smile sheepishly.

“You’re right…sorry, I’m being so whiny. JungMin and HongKi pick on me for whining all the time.”

“I don’t see a problem,” KyuJong chuckled. “It’s you, I think it’s endearing.”

HyungJoon pinked a little, eyes going down to his knees, then flicking back up to KyuJong. “Kyu—”

“Hyung!” A loud, higher-pitched voice rang through the lobby. Looking up, KyuJong saw Kevin waving at them from the elevators. “Come on!”

“Looks like we’ve got VIP access,” KyuJong snorted, pulling HyungJoon to his feet. HyungJoon blinked repeatedly before grinning and hurrying to where Kevin was holding the elevator.

“I thought we weren’t allowed past the lobby?” KyuJong asked as they stepped into the elevator.

Kevin grinned. “I have my ways. KiBum can’t exactly leave the shoot right now, and it could be a couple hours before they’re done. Hyung, you’re out early!” That was directed at HyungJoon.

“Yeah!” HyungJoon puffed up happily again. “Felt like surprising KiBum by having his big brother show up to work. Surprise, embarrass, all the same. What are you wearing, Kev?”

“Oh,” Kevin laughed sheepishly, looking down at the extremely revealing mesh shirt and jeans so tight they could have been painted on. His blond hair was stylized, and he was wearing makeup and various accessories. “Part of the shoot. KiBum’s already asked me how I can even walk in this, and trust me, I have no idea myself.”

“Go out like that and you’ll be chased down the street by screaming fangirls,” HyungJoon teased.

“That’s already happened,” Kevin turned pink under the foundation. “Don’t laugh!”

They stepped out of the elevator and into chaos. Lighting crew were walking back and forth along with stylists and coordinators, ushering models around. Kevin guided them around the mess of people and towards the set.

KyuJong had never seen KiBum working before. The young man looked calm and confident, directing the models with none of the awkwardness that usually came out when he was talking to strangers off the set. Watching from the side with HyungJoon and Kevin, KyuJong wondered if this was what KiBum would look like as a Keeper in a couple years…experienced and assertive.

A voice called for a break, and those on the set made their way off to the seats on one side. Kevin came up behind KiBum, leaning in to whisper in the photographer’s ear as KiBum fiddled with the camera.

Blinking repeatedly, KiBum looked at Kevin in confusion before turning around further to see HyungJoon grinning to the side of the set. “Hyung!” He exclaimed in surprise, a wide grin forming on the younger brother’s face. KiBum quickly passed off his camera to one of the stage crew before heading for HyungJoon.

“Hey!” HyungJoon was the beaming, proud older brother. “You’ve got quite the set-up here, living the high life already?”

“It’s very tiring, but it’s been good,” KiBum grinned, throwing his arms around his brother. “You’re out early!”

“Yeah, Dr. Daniel kicked me out, said I was taking up a bed for no reason,” HyungJoon snorted, patting KiBum’s back. “Surprise?”

“It’s a great surprise,” KiBum chuckled, pulling back and beaming. “I’ll still be here for another hour or so, then Kevin and a couple of his friends invited me to dinner…you want to come along?”

“Sure, if I can drag KyuJong along,” HyungJoon wrinkled his nose at his younger brother. “Since you’re probably gonna be too busy with your new coworkers to pay attention to your brother.”

“Don’t be like that, hyung,” KiBum rolled his eyes, wrapping one arm around HyungJoon’s neck. KyuJong didn’t miss the way his eyes flitted over Kevin’s outfit as the younger man made his way back to them, teeth biting his lower lip. When he noticed KyuJong watching, KiBum quickly averted his gaze, cheeks pink.

“Hey!” Kevin stopped, two models standing behind him. “These two wanted to meet KiBum’s brother. They’re my underlings, so be nice to them.”

“Underlings? Seriously?” protested one of the two before holding out a hand. “Kim JongIn. This quiet guy here’s Do KyungSoo, he doesn’t say much so don’t be offended or anything.”

“He doesn’t say much because he never has a chance to talk with JongIn around,” Kevin smiled widely as HyungJoon shook JongIn’s hand. “And did I say underlings? I meant understudies.”

“Sure you did, hyung,” KyungSoo murmured with a small smile as he bowed to HyungJoon and KyuJong. “Your brother’s really talented.”

“He is,” HyungJoon puffed up again. “Just don’t let it go to his head, huh?”

KyuJong only half-listened to their conversation, frowning slightly as he looked at KyungSoo. Something was familiar about the quiet young man. It took him a full minute to realize why, eyes widening.

He had seen KyungSoo before…the same time he’d first met Abaia and Pantera. It had been very dark that night, but KyuJong was positive he was right. KyungSoo was Pantera’s former Keeper.

It was slightly ironic seeing KiBum and KyungSoo standing side-by-side now, and KyuJong wondered where Pantera was. With all the people around, she was probably hiding inside KiBum for once. She had to recognize her former Keeper too…would she have told KiBum, or kept it to herself?

”Your thoughts are loud, Center,” a soft, motherly voice spoke in his head. ”Your questions are even louder.”

Jumping, KyuJong resisted the urge to look around. He drew in a shaky breath, closing his eyes and trying to follow the sense of the spirit beast in his head. Pantera? he called.

”Nothing would be accomplished by sharing with KiBum what you and I know. Keepers aren’t meant to know their predecessors. KyungSoo’s role is over, and now he’s free to live a life entirely his own.”

There was a sad note in her voice, KyuJong feeling it. He focused, trying to get his thoughts back across the link that had suddenly appeared. Do you miss your former Keepers?

”Every Keeper is like one of my own cubs, and every child eventually has to leave it’s mother’s embrace. You do not have to shout, Center. I can hear you.”

How? KyuJong thought back. How did this even happen? I’m not your Keeper. I shouldn’t be able to talk to spirit beasts at all, let alone in my head.

Pantera’s voice was soothing, gentle. ”You have a special gift, child… you are the Center, the heart. You can hear any of us, speak to any of us. All you have to do is listen.”

“KyuJong?” A hand against his shoulder snapped KyuJong out of it, eyes opening. HyungJoon was looking at him in concern. “Are you okay?”

Seeing the others all looking at him with worry, KyuJong nodded. He felt dizzy, swaying a little. “Yeah…just a little tired I guess.”

“Maybe you should go home and rest,” Kevin suggested, frowning.

“But…” KyuJong looked at HyungJoon. He’d wanted to go with him to dinner.

HyungJoon gave him a small smile, slinging one arm around his shoulders to hold the dizzy man steady. “Come on, I’ll get you back home. I’ll see you four later, have fun KiBum.”

“Get lots of rest,” KiBum said, looking at KyuJong with a frown.

“See you,” JongIn called as HyungJoon steered KyuJong to the elevator. KyuJong for his part was suddenly hit by a wave of dizziness, body protesting everything that was going on.

“You going to make it to the apartment?” HyungJoon frowned, holding KyuJong close as the elevator descended. “Why didn’t you tell me you weren’t feeling well, Kyu?”

KyuJong shook his head. “I felt fine up until a moment ago,” he murmured, leaning against his friend with his eyes closed.

He felt a hand against his forehead. “Aish…you’re burning up. We’ll take a taxi back, too far to walk.”

Wanting to protest, KyuJong opened his mouth and couldn’t think of the right words to say. So he just let HyungJoon help him out of the elevator and the building. By the time they got into a free taxi, the corners of his vision were going black.

Was this going to happen every time he spoke to a spirit beast? KyuJong wondered, head resting against HyungJoon’s shoulder. Maybe he should give the whole spirit beast thing a rest for a while, if so.

He was vaguely aware of HyungJoon pulling him onto his back and carrying him into their apartment building. Managing to get the keys out of KyuJong’s pocket, HyungJoon got the older man into his apartment and laid him down in bed.

“Rest well…” HyungJoon murmured, pulling the blankets up over KyuJong. KyuJong blinked up at him blearily before his eyes slid closed. The last thing he felt before passing out was the gentle press of lips against his forehead.

 


When KyuJong woke up again, he felt infinitely better. Sitting up, he rubbed his forehead and looked around the dark room blearily. What time was it?

Finding his phone, his eyes widened slightly. He was late for his meeting with SungMin. Hopefully the other man wasn’t too mad. Scrolling through his phone to find the number he’d gotten a couple days ago, KyuJong’s thumb paused on HyungJoon’s name.

HyungJoon had brought him back home, taken care of him. Smiling fondly, KyuJong went past his name to SungMin’s. He really owed HyungJoon now.

The phone rang a few times before picking up. “Hello?”

“Hi…SungMin? It’s KyuJong,” KyuJong winced a little, slowly standing up. His fever was gone, along with the dizziness.

”KyuJong? Where are you?”

“At my apartment, I…almost passed out on my best friend, he brought me back here to sleep it off. I just woke up, I’m sorry for making you wait.”

”It’s fine. We can reschedule if you’re not up for meeting tonight.”

“No,” KyuJong said hurriedly. “I’m feeling fine now, sleeping helped. Where are we meeting?”

SungMin was silent for a moment. ”Do you remember where I trained KiBum last week? We’ll meet up there.”

“Okay, I’ll be right there,” KyuJong nodded, hanging up. He wondered where HyungJoon was. Probably back at his own place. A quick look around the apartment confirmed that the younger man wasn’t there.

If HyungJoon came back and found him gone, KyuJong would have a lot of explaining to do. But at the same time, he needed answers. The questions were getting to be too much…he needed to know just what was wrong with him. Exhaling slowly, he went looking for his notebook with all his spirit beast notes in it. He’d written down the address where KiBum had trained, just in case; he was horrible with directions.

As soon as he had the notebook open on the kitchen table and transferred the address to a piece of scrap paper, KyuJong left the apartment. It was a short walk there, but any walk was fine with him. There was no sign of dizziness or fever, convincing him it had been caused by using an ability he’d never known he had up until then.

Maybe it would happen again next time…maybe it would get easier with practice. He had no way of knowing, and that was just one of the many reasons why he needed to speak with SungMin.

Heading out onto the streets, he stopped in his tracks when something pulled at him. He felt drawn in the opposite direction of where he had to go, for no reason he could think of. Biting his lower lip, KyuJong decided to ignore it and started towards the building he was to meet SungMin at.

”Center!”

A choked scream rattled through his brain and KyuJong sank to his knees with a gasp. Passerby gave him a wide berth, looking at him strangely as he stared down at the ground and tried to stop his heart from beating out of his chest. What now?

Who are you? he tried calling out, but he could feel how his voice faltered and was lost halfway. There was no connection between him and this new speaker like there had been with Pantera…whoever it was could contact him, but he couldn’t reach back.

”Center, help me, please,” the voice came again, fading in and out of his mind like blocked by static. ”Dark power—can’t—darkness—“

When the pull came again, KyuJong didn’t try to fight it. Staggering back to his feet, he turned around and ran the other way down the street, nearly bowling over a young couple in his haste. He could feel fear; pure fear, rising in intensity with each step he took.

Another scream echoed through his head and forced a choked whimper out of his lips, the young man staggering and nearly hitting the brick wall. It was painful…whoever was contacting him was in excruciating pain, and KyuJong felt it. It was all he could do to keep moving, forcing himself to turn off the main streets and follow the pull down a back alley. He weaved his way between the buildings, turning a corner just as another scream rang through both his head and his ears.

Blinking rapidly to clear his double-vision, KyuJong lifted his head just in time to see a lizard-like spirit shredded into pieces.

The spirit burst into light as the voice, fear and pain in KyuJong’s head was snuffed out. Losing all feeling in his legs, KyuJong sank to his knees, strangely numb. His eyes followed the particles of light, all that remained of the spirit who’d screamed for his help, as they swirled around a figure who had to be his Keeper. Preparing to leave that Keeper for a new one.

A low snarl echoed down the alley, and in the shadows at the far end KyuJong could barely see the silhouette of a wolf. Asena?

Darkness stretched from the wolf and engulfed both the light particles and the human Keeper. Eyes wide, KyuJong could only watch as the lizard spirit’s light was into the darkness, and into the wolf. The human Keeper collapsed the second the light was gone. KyuJong tried to stand, call out, do something, but his body was unresponsive. All he could do was watch as the wolf disappeared into the shadows.

For a long time he just sat there, struggling to move past the sudden numbness. When the spirit’s light had disappeared, it was like all his energy had evaporated with it. KyuJong gasped quietly as he forced his fingers open and closed, using the slight movement to come back to himself. Finally he staggered to his feet, leaning back against the wall and shutting his eyes to stop the spinning.

He opened his eyes again and staggered towards where the human Keeper had collapsed. It was a young man some years younger…possibly around KiBum’s age. KyuJong slowly sank to his knees and shook the man’s shoulder. “Wake up,” he whispered, knowing the former Keeper would soon be waking up with no memories.

Seconds passed, then minutes. Growing worried even as his own vision slowly dimmed, KyuJong shook his shoulder again. “Hey…wake up.”

Still nothing. KyuJong groaned quietly, shutting his eyes. A migraine was coming, along with the fever from before. He might not last much longer, overloaded by whatever had just happened, but he lacked the energy to even dial for help. The pain the lizard spirit had channeled was overloading his body. His fingers felt too numb and clumsy to work his phone.

Bracing his hands on the ground, KyuJong swallowed and tried something else. He found that strange feeling that had connected him to Pantera, and reached out. The resistance from when he’d tried to contact the lizard spirit wasn’t there, like he was passing his arm through cool water instead of against a wall.

”Center?” Pantera’s soft, worried voice came back across the connection.

KyuJong’s lips curled in a shaky smile. It worked. He didn’t even feel himself hit the ground, losing consciousness.

 


HyungJoon had been trying to find a soup recipe he wouldn’t completely butcher when a door slammed against the wall behind him. Jumping in surprise, he turned away from the computer to see KiBum bolting down the hallway and out of the apartment. “KiBum?” He called in surprise, his words lost in Choco’s barks as the tiny dog followed his younger brother.

“Aish, Choco, get back here!” HyungJoon got to his feet and went to collect the puppy. Finding her sniffing at the closed elevator door, HyungJoon scooped her up in his arms. “You’re not allowed out here, you know that,” he scolded the dog lightly. He frowned and glanced at the elevator, worried. What had that been about? KiBum had literally just gotten back from dinner with Kevin and his model friends, where was he off to in such a hurry?

It was nearly half an hour before HyungJoon had his answer. Having locked Choco back in their apartment and left several confused text messages for his brother, HyungJoon decided to head down to the apartment lobby and wait. When KiBum finally returned, it wasn’t alone.

“Who’s…Kyu?” HyungJoon’s attention was distracted from the blond-haired guy walking beside KiBum when he saw who the stranger was carrying. Slung over the other man’s back was an unconscious KyuJong.

“Hyung?” KiBum saw HyungJoon, biting his lower lip nervously. “Uh…hi. You still have KyuJong’s spare apartment key, right?”

“Who…what…” HyungJoon stuttered before hurrying to hold the elevator door for them. “I didn’t— He was sleeping off his fever, what was he doing outside? Is he okay?”

“He’ll be fine,” said the blond guy, adjusting KyuJong on his back again. He seemed to be having a hard time not tripping over KyuJong’s long legs, his own rather short in comparison. “He just needs some rest.”

“But…” HyungJoon stared at the unconscious man helplessly as they got into the elevator. Why had KyuJong left the apartment in the first place? What was he thinking?

The three of them got KyuJong back into his apartment and lying down in bed. “Where was he? What happened?” HyungJoon tried again, large eyes worried.

“Found him passed out on the street, guess he tried walking around with that fever you mentioned hyung,” KiBum said slowly, and there was something unspoken in how he glanced at the blond-haired guy.

“Probably looking for me, we were supposed to meet up for more work training,” the blond guy sighed.

“…Who are you?” HyungJoon frowned at him.

“I’m his coworker and supervisor, SungMin.” The other man shrugged, looking around KyuJong’s apartment with interest. Having a bachelor’s apartment meant there was no divided bedroom, just the bed in the corner.

“How did you know where he was?” HyungJoon blinked at KiBum, watching SungMin out of the corner of his eyes.

“Oh…uh…he called and said he wasn’t feeling well, but couldn’t move,” KiBum rubbed the back of his head, glancing away. “I ran out to get him.”

HyungJoon may be gullible at times, but he knew when his little brother was lying. His eyes narrowed slightly. “…Why would he call you and not me?” He hadn’t noticed KyuJong and KiBum being particularly close.

If he hadn’t been keeping an eye on SungMin, he would have missed it. The blond-haired man had noticed a notebook sitting open on KyuJong’s kitchen table and given a start, looking down at it. SungMin cast the brothers a glance before shutting the notebook and shoving it in amongst a bunch of other books on one of KyuJong’s shelves.

“Luck of the draw?” KiBum shrugged. “I’m just glad he’s back here safe.”

“That makes two of us,” HyungJoon murmured, trying to figure out just why KiBum was lying to him.

“Three, actually.” SungMin glanced between them. “I have to…head out and take care of something, but maybe he should be watched for now. No telling how bad the fever could get.”

KiBum was looking somewhere down at his feet, frowning slightly. Hearing that, he glanced up at them and nodded. “We can take turns.”

“I’ll stay first then,” HyungJoon offered. “Get some sleep KiBum, I’ll come get you when it’s your turn.”

“Okay,” KiBum nodded, brow furrowed. “Let’s go, SungMin…sshi.” He turned and headed to the door.

“Nice meeting you then,” SungMin quirked a smile at HyungJoon, a smile that wasn’t returned. The young man turned around and followed KiBum out of the apartment.

HyungJoon watched them go, frowning. He sighed and looked down at KyuJong, taking in the unhealthy flush of his cheeks and the ragged breathing.

“What’s going on with you?” he murmured, brushing KyuJong’s hair out of his eyes. He stood there for a long minute, just looking down at the guy he’d had a crush on ever since he’d first seen him sitting by himself in the back of class.

Finally HyungJoon turned away, reminded of something. Searching the shelves lining one wall, he smiled triumphantly as he pulled out the notebook SungMin had hidden away. He pulled a chair up beside the bed, sat down and flipped to the notebook’s first page.

 

 


 

Another update for y'all =D Hope you liked! 

Please subscribe, comment and/or upvote if you enjoyed the story!

We're getting close to the end of my saved chapters >< Haven't had the time to write more between my two jobs, getting ready for school and various family stuff. So unless things settle down soon, there might not be an update next week :( But no worries, I'll still update with something...I've had something in the works for a while now you might be interested in ;)

 

@Forever5501: Lol but it wouldn't be as fun if Hyun stopped being mysterious and confusing xDD He IS the 4D leader after all.

@Forest_pixi: Sorry? =P Not really LOL <3 You know you love me~~ And of course I love to torture my characters. What author doesn't to some extent. And the one calling to him wasn't Callisto, but Yoona's spirit beast xD;; I'm mean to Soshi here...they get cameos even worse than YoungSaeng LOL

@ping501: Ding ding ding ding~! You win cookies \o/ Center = Heart. What that means exactly, will be explained soon.

@curionenene: Lol you would want multiple pairings with Kyu, wouldn't you =P