Chapter Eight

Hope Is A Dream That Doesn't Sleep

She sniffed again at the air, the wind and snow making it harder and harder to trace the scent of the demon and angel. For the longest time, she thought she’d found their scent but it only led to the two demon servants of Yesung’s. She cursed herself for falling for the trick and for wasting such precious time since the snowstorm had ruined any chance of retracing her steps and trying to pinpoint a scent there.

Finally giving up on the task of finding the demon and angel, she looked around the city for any vampires that she could convince to help her and her partner in their plans. Upon nightfall, she spotted two vampires that she paid off a few times to help on a few missions in the past and reveled in her luck that seemed to be turning around after the failed attempt of finding the demon and angel.

Crossing the streets to the alley she saw the two disappear down, she came upon them feeding off one of the citizens that they must’ve grabbed off the street when she wasn’t looking.

“How would you two like to feast upon the blood of angels instead of that human filth?” Her question causing their heads to snap up, their red eyes meeting her brown eyes.

The one that was feeding from the human’s neck wiped at his mouth with his sleeve, and barked a laugh, “We’ve already had one for this decade.”

That confused her, they’d already caught an angel and killed it? How the two vampires could even manage to catch an angel was beyond her but she decided not to question it. She just needed the two to agree to help her for when the time came and then be on her way.

“I’m sure you wouldn’t mind some more, they would be the reward for helping me with this mission, of course.”

The two vampires shared a glance with each other before returning their gaze to her, “What kind of mission? And how many angels are we talking about?”

She smirked, she knew she had them interested now. In the darkness of the alleyway, she explained just enough information about her and her partner's plan and how they needed their help, she informed them that she’d explain the rest and what their part would be later. She needed more time to plan after the two agreed.

 

--

 

“How would this look, Yesung?” Kyuhyun asked as he held up the light blue coat to show the demon.

The two were in the middle of shopping again for the fourth time that week, it wasn’t that Kyuhyun needed anymore clothes because it was still uncertain how long it would take Leeteuk to answer, but it just kept boredom at bay. Yesung was more than happy to oblige with the shopping spree though, it was one of his favorite things to do, and seeing Kyuhyun happy was worth it all.

They’d been together for two weeks, each day once they woke up, they’d wait for a call from Heechul only to hear that he still can’t get in contact with Leeteuk and then they’d carry on about their day. Although the first few days were still hard for Kyuhyun, but with the help of Yesung and his ideas of keeping the angel’s mind off his situation, he was fairing very well. They’d also check each day to see if his wings had started growing back but that only led to disappointment when the charred remains were still there. Yet Yesung still treated Kyuhyun with all the different foods and drinks that could help benefit the angel in hopes of it speeding the growth of his wings.

He’d learnt that Kyuhyun loved to eat, almost anything that was probably considered unhealthy for humans, the angel loved, but the demon still tried to get him to try the vegetables because those held more vitamins than the junk food. He’d found the best bargaining trick when he discovered Kyuhyun’s love for video games. To be able to get a new game or game console, Kyuhyun had to eat the vegetables. It was almost like the same battle that a parent would have with trying to bribe their child to eat their leafy greens, but Yesung won.

He didn’t understand how anyone could spend countless hours on a game, he’d played a few, some were interesting and he liked, but the others were too hard to understand. But the angel liked them and as long as he was happy, Yesung was happy.

It seemed over the course of the two weeks together, they’d grown closer. Yesung was enjoying every minute of it, especially when it seemed like Kyuhyun was getting more and more comfortable around him. Kyuhyun, on the other hand, was eating up all the attention that he could get from the demon.

After being chained up and tortured by those two vampires for a month, he’d missed the normalcy that he had in the angelic realm. Yesung seemed to fill that void, but there was something else that Kyuhyun felt sometimes when they’d be in the apartment with his head resting against Yesung’s shoulder as they watched television. Or when they’d lie in bed, waiting for sleep to take them or when their hands touched, Kyuhyun swore he felt some kind of spark between their skin.

He’d never been in love with anyone, but there was one person that he felt a strong fondness for and that was his teacher, Sungmin, although that was before he knew the angel was already taken. So he sort of knew what he thought love could feel like. He felt that whatever it was he felt for Yesung was different from that though. It made his chest tightened and his stomach felt uneasy when he saw some of the smiles that Yesung held. With Sungmin, Kyuhyun wanted nothing more than to please the angel and be perfect for him, but things felt different with Yesung.

He wanted to tease the demon, cause him to laugh, to blush, to smile at him and only at him. He wanted to touch those lips of Yesung’s, he wanted to feel the demon’s hair to know if it felt as soft as it looked, and he wanted to touch those scars that littered over his body that he saw on most mornings when the demon walked out of the bathroom in only a towel to retrieve clothes from the closet. He still flushed at that sight that left him staring as he also tried to feign sleeping so Yesung wouldn’t know about his peeking.

Kyuhyun wanted all these things, things he knew that he shouldn’t because they were from two different worlds. They were on two different sides, one was the winning side, and the other was definitely going to lose out in the end, and no matter how much Kyuhyun tried to forget that, if only for the time being, it still ran through his head. Besides, he doubted that the demon even felt the same; he was probably only putting up with the angel out of pity.

“I think it’d look good on you, Kyuhyun,” Yesung’s voice drew him out of staring at the demon with that breathtaking smile on his face.

He nodded, shakily, and placed the coat with his other clothes, and tried to keep from blushing as he looked through more clothes. Yesung had already found everything he was looking for so he was just browsing through most of them, making suggestions to Kyuhyun every so often. Even though the clothes that humans crafted and wore weren’t as warm as his suit, and not nearly as hot as Heechul’s robe, it felt nice to be back in his usual bright colors. Kyuhyun didn’t mind using some of Yesung’s clothes but they were all dark and made his pale skin more noticeable.

At least he had some color back to his skin in the white sweater and tan pants he was wearing today.

“Kyuhyun, I think we should head back now before nightfall catches us,” Yesung said, looking out the windows of the small shop to see gray clouds filling the sky. Apparently another snow shower was moving in.

Kyuhyun nodded, and the two went to pay for their clothes. He knew the reason why Yesung wanted to get back to his apartment before nighttime came; he wanted to avoid any run-ins with any vampires in the city. Kyuhyun did not want to relive another encounter with any of those bloodsucking fiends again. But he knew that if Yesung was beside him and if they did end up running into any, that the demon would protect him.

Once they stepped outside the shop, Kyuhyun clutched his coat to him to try to block out the wind that was slowly building up with the increase of clouds overhead. Yesung held most of their bags as they walked down the streets towards his apartment so the angel’s hands wouldn’t be completely weighed down and he could keep them warm. That was one thing they kept forgetting to buy for Kyuhyun: gloves.

By the time they had halfway reached Yesung’s apartment, tiny little snowflakes had already started falling on them, but the wind and cold was still at bay, but barely. They rounded a corner and Yesung cursed when he looked ahead at the two figures that were walking down the street towards them. They were still at a good distance but Yesung knew exactly who they were, their scents were hard to miss after having known them for so long. He knew they had already seen them, so it was no use in telling Kyuhyun to turn around and take a different path home because, odds are, the two would follow them.

He simply stopped, catching Kyuhyun’s attention as he leaned up to whisper in his ear, “Stay calm, you’re going to be alright, but try to limp while you walk.”

Kyuhyun’s head tilted to the side in confusion but then he glanced in the direction that Yesung nodded at, and his eyes grew wide when he saw the two vampires coming towards them. Reaching out of instinct for Yesung’s hand, Kyuhyun grasped it as he tried to follow Yesung’s request while walking beside the demon. He silently prayed that nothing bad would come out this encounter.

“Yesung! How good it is to see you again!” That cheery voice filled the air as they were now within feet of the two vampires.

Seunghun reached out and latched himself onto Yesung in a hug while Chungho stood behind with a grin and a wink at Kyuhyun, who paled completely. Chungho chuckled at the reaction, “I’m surprised you’ve kept him around this long, Yesung, and he appears to be in better condition than when he was with us.”

Seunghun released the demon and stepped back, sparing a glance at Kyuhyun before returning his attention to Yesung. “I wouldn’t doubt you’re using him for more than just his blood though, right? With that walk, I wouldn’t doubt he’s still sore.”

Yesung chuckled stiffly, his hand squeezing Kyuhyun’s rigid hand, “May as well take what I can.” Kyuhyun didn’t understand what they were talking about, but apparently it had to do with how Yesung told him to walk.

Chungho snickered, “I would’ve done the same if I could’ve, but with the circumstances, his blood was enough. And I have to say,” he sniffed the air, his lips as he stared at Kyuhyun with hunger, “he smells even better than before.”

“Doesn’t he though? I thought that, too, what’s your secret? Is it or are you pumping him with something else?” Seunghun asked bluntly, causing Kyuhyun’s eyes to widen as his face flushed the brightest shade of red at the questions. He looked down in an attempt to hide his face.

So that was what Yesung was talking about, the limp, and why Seunghun said that he’s still sore. He remembered what the demon said before about how he was lucky to have been taken by vampires instead of demons because they could’ve done more than just feed from him. And as it stood with the two vampires, he was just a slave to Yesung, that’s what they signed over to him, a slave to be used for his blood, and for his body, too, apparently.

His eyes widened when he heard a loud growl come from Yesung and the demon pulling him behind him, he looked up to see the vampires’ red eyes trained on him, and it didn’t occur to him until then that he blushed. They smelled the blood rushing to his cheeks, and that sparked their bloodlust. He cursed himself for being so stupid, for forgetting how Chungho bit into his cheek because of the same act before.

Seunghun seemed to have recovered first, he shook his head, throwing an apologetic glance at Yesung, “My apologies, Yesung, he just smelled so delicious.” He looked over at Chungho before slapping the back of his head. “Yah! Snap out of it, he’s not ours anymore.”

Chungho snapped at Seunghun’s hand, before glaring at the snow covered sidewalk, exhaling deeply, “Fine. Sorry, Yesung.”

The demon shrugged shakily, “I can understand, it’s alright. Anyway, we need to be on our way before the storm hits.” Yesung pulled Kyuhyun’s hand to get him to follow him since it seemed like he was rooted to the sidewalk.

“Before you go, couldn’t we have just a taste?” Chungho called as they walked around them, breathing in the angel’s scent like he was a thirsty man in a desert.

Yesung froze, but he didn’t look over his shoulder, he sighed when he heard Chungho add, “After all, we gave you a taste before.”

Yesung knew he could’ve just walked off without replying or act like he didn’t hear him but he felt like he couldn’t. He’d told Kyuhyun before that he wouldn’t allow anything to hurt him; he couldn’t subject the angel to please the scum that seemed to think he liked them, he wouldn’t. He didn’t want their filthy hands on the angel, let alone their mouths nor their teeth digging into his skin. What he really wanted was to turn around and snap Chungho’s neck and set fire to the vampire’s body; Seunghun, he might let live but he wanted to destroy his partner. But that probably wouldn’t sit well with Kyuhyun being there, he didn’t want the angel to see that kind of violence, nor to see that side of him.

Kyuhyun, on the other hand, had gulped down his fear when he saw the battle that Yesung was fighting mentally. He could see what the demon wanted to do, could feel it in the way his grip on Kyuhyun’s hand tightened to being almost painful. He tugged at their connected hands to get Yesung’s attention. He nodded hesitantly, he didn’t want to be at the mercy of the vampires again, he didn’t want to hear and feel them gulping down his blood but he also knew that when he was finally back in the angelic realm that the demon might need their help since he learned that the two and Yesung did missions together in the past. So it wouldn’t sit well if Yesung killed them now just because of this situation.

Yesung’s eyes widened, and he was about to protest but Kyuhyun smiled slightly and released his hand to turn towards the two vampires. He dropped his shopping bags and stepped forward towards Chungho, who was grinning as he his lips. Kyuhyun threw a glance back at Yesung to see the demon frozen, shock still evident on his face.

Seunghun reminded Chungho, “Just a taste, Chungho, we don’t want him too exhausted to be able to please Yesung later.”

Kyuhyun tried not to blush at those words, but he wouldn’t stop the images filling his head. He remembered to limp when he walked towards Chungho’s awaiting hands. He tried not to flinch when he was pushed against the side of one of the buildings, Chungho wasted no time when latching his teeth into the side of his neck while Seunghun grasped his wrist and bit down.

Kyuhyun bit his bottom lip to keep from crying out at the pain, he could hear Chungho gulp down the mouthful and groan quietly. Seunghun made quick work of his wrist, and let go of it as he closed his eyes to savor the taste on his tongue. Kyuhyun’s eyes found Yesung’s to see the demon had stepped closer, his hand, which Kyuhyun held before, outstretched and Kyuhyun’s eyes widened when he saw something catch the lighting of the streetlight running down Yesung’s cheek. Tears.

Seunghun’s voice snapped his attention back to the vampire that was still latched onto his neck and taking more than just a taste. Kyuhyun was starting to feel lightheaded as he sagged against the building before Seunghun successfully pried Chungho off him. Seunghun started to apologize to Yesung but stopped when he saw the demon was now on his knees, his head bowed. He threw a glance back and forth between Yesung and Kyuhyun with a concerned expression then shrugged and dragged Chungho off before he could recover from the taste and want more of the angel’s blood.

Kyuhyun watched through hazy eyes as the two vampires disappeared down the street, he was still leaning against the building, trying to catch his breath that he didn’t know he’d been holding. He could feel the blood still seeping out of the bite marks on his neck from where Chungho was practically ripped away from him. He was about to raise his hand up to cup it to try and keep it from bleeding somehow but a hand grasped his wrist.

He looked up to see Yesung’s eyes trained on the bite marks on his neck before trailing down to his wrist that hung by his side. It was already staining his white coat with his blood. But Yesung wouldn’t meet his gaze. Kyuhyun’s eyes widened when Yesung took his wrist that Seunghun bit into and placed a kiss over the bite mark.

“You should’ve just let me kill them, Kyuhyun,” Yesung said, his voice was shaky, like he was trying to keep from breaking. He swallowed, “I-I promised to protect you from them, you shouldn’t have—I could’ve—I would’ve…” Kyuhyun didn’t let the demon finish, just pulled him in to hug him.

Out of all this time, he never once had comforted Yesung, he’d never once seen the demon fall apart. He was always the one that needed comfort or reassurance and because of that, he thought the demon was made out of stone for being able to handle things so well. This just showed him that Yesung was just as fragile as him as he held the demon close to him.

“Its okay, Yesung, I’m fine, I promise,” Kyuhyun replied, pulling back to finally look him in the eyes, he was met with a pair of hurt-filled eyes. “I know you would’ve stopped them if they tried anything else. I let them drink me to keep you from killing them but also because you were here. I felt safe enough to do so because of you.”

Yesung’s eyes started to soften but hardened when he eyed the bite mark on Kyuhyun’s neck, “But you didn’t have to--”

“I didn’t, but think of it this way, they wouldn’t be able to do it anymore. They let you drink from me before and now they’ve done it in return,” Kyuhyun smiled softly, “I’m fine, really. As soon as I can get the bleeding to stop and it starts healing, that is.”

Yesung stared at Kyuhyun for the longest time in astonishment, he still wanted to track down the two vampires and kill them both but what Kyuhyun said made sense. He wouldn’t feel obligated to let the vampires drink from the angel again. He slowly nodded, looking down at Kyuhyun’s wrist, then up at his neck, “I can heal this for you.”

Kyuhyun was confused by that, the demon could heal others? He didn’t know that but Yesung elaborated upon seeing his confusion, “I have to bite it though and then my saliva will start healing it. I didn’t suggest this method before when you were hurt because I knew that you still didn’t trust me.”

The angel nodded, “Will you be able to stay in control or would it be too hard for you? I do trust you but I don’t want--”

“I could never lose control with you, Kyuhyun,” Yesung said, honestly, that soft smile taking hold of his lips that Kyuhyun loved seeing. He brought the angel’s wrists up to his mouth and as softly as he could, bit down on the bite marks already there and started running his tongue over the wound.

The sensation was strange for Kyuhyun. He couldn’t get over the fact that Yesung’s lips were pressed against his skin, and it should’ve felt weird and disgusting to feel his tongue moving over his wrist but unlike with Seunghun, Kyuhyun shivered at the softness of Yesung’s lips, his small hands cradling his wrist against his mouth, and that wet muscle running over his wound. He closed his eyes and leaned back until the sensation disappeared.

He glanced down at his wrist, the bite marks were slowly fading away, and the bite didn’t sting at all. Even after Yesung bit into his wrist, it didn’t hurt.

It then dawned on him that Yesung would be healing his neck next. His eyes widened when Yesung reached up, pulled down the collar of his coat from his neck and leaned in to start healing him. He tensed, not out of fear that Yesung would hurt him, but out of fear of his reaction when Yesung’s lips met the skin of his neck. It felt like electricity going through his veins from the top of his head to the tip of his toes.

And then Yesung’s tongue moved over the bite marks that Chungho left. Kyuhyun closed his eyes and bit his lip as every was sending more and more sparks through him. When he felt Yesung bite down, he couldn’t hold back the soft moan that fell from his lips, his hands reaching out for anything to keep him upright as his knees felt weaker all of a sudden. They clutched at Yesung’s shirt as he leaned back against the wall of the building, the demon’s lips and tongue still attached to the side of his neck and doing wonders to him.

Yesung tried his best not to pay much attention to the taste of the angel’s blood on his tongue where it was still bleeding because he couldn’t lose control. He wouldn’t. This was Kyuhyun, and he was not about to hurt him, not after the damage that Chungho already did. But the taste of that blood was so tempting.

He quickly began the healing process on Kyuhyun’s neck to stop the bleeding, but just as he was about finished, he thought he was just imagining it when a soft moan came from the angel. He thought one of his fantasies about the angel had resurfaced; after all, it wasn’t the first time that he’d imagined pushing the angel up against a wall and doing several things to draw all kinds of sounds from his lips. He thought about pulling back to see if he was just hearing things but then the idea hit him. After he made sure the bite marks were healing and almost gone, he found a spot and started softly against the skin.

Kyuhyun’s hands that clutched at his shirt tightened their grip, pulling them closer together, and there it was, another quiet noise falling from the angel’s lips. With a small against the spot, Yesung pulled back to take in the sight before him. Kyuhyun’s eyes were still closed, his head slightly tilted as if to give Yesung more access to his neck, his bottom lip was caught between his teeth, and he looked tense. But not tense from fear, it seemed more like from experiencing something he’d never felt before.

Without thinking, he couldn’t help himself, Yesung leaned in and pressed a soft kiss against those plump lips. It lasted all of two seconds before Kyuhyun’s eyes snapped open, and Yesung quickly stepped back. They just stared at each other for a moment, Kyuhyun, with shock written all over his face, while Yesung stood speechless. What did he just do? How could he do that? What could he say about his action? How could he explain what he just did?

Kyuhyun saw the struggle that Yesung was going through, the demon looked flustered, embarrassed, and helpless, while he felt like his body had been set on fire once Yesung kissed him. That action confirmed what he felt towards the demon. He was so scared that the demon wouldn’t care for him in that way but seeing the way Yesung looked right now, he didn’t think twice about cupping the demon’s face and bringing their lips back together.

He’d never kissed anyone before nor had he been kissed, the small pecks on the cheeks from all his brothers and sisters did not count, so he hoped that Yesung would help guide him because he did not want to start feeling awkward. Not right now when he was finally getting what he’d been wanting for the past couple of weeks. Those lips felt softer than Kyuhyun could’ve imagined, pressed firmly against his, with one of those small hands holding his face so gently, almost as if the demon thought he was made of glass.

It felt like time had stopped for them both.

Kyuhyun reveled in the feelings that were fluttering in his stomach as Yesung’s lips moved against his while he tried to keep up, and Yesung was practically elated with the fact that this was really happening. It wasn’t a fantasy, the skin he was touching was solid, and it wasn’t going to disappear into darkness when his eyes opened. The two were completely oblivious to the outside world going on around them, lost in each other.

Reluctantly, Yesung pulled back to allow them both air to fill their lungs. Kyuhyun stared at Yesung, his lips tingling and he couldn’t stop the smile from spreading across his face. Yesung stared back, a smile reflecting Kyuhyun’s, his hand caressing the side of the angel’s face, causing him to lean into the touch. Neither of them spoke, it didn’t seem like either of them could gather up anything to voice, too smitten with happiness to utter a word.

The sky around them had already darkened, the snow growing heavier as it fell, and the wind had picked up, but it went completely unnoticed as the two made their way back to Yesung’s apartment. Their hands never left the other’s hand. It wasn’t until they were back in the apartment and under the blankets on the bed trying to get warm from the walk home that they realized that their bags from the shopping trip were still where they’d dropped them.

“I’m sure one of the homeless people will be better off with them. It may keep them warm against the storm,” Yesung noted as he stared up at the ceiling of his bedroom, his hand was still holding Kyuhyun’s and there wasn’t as much space between them like usual.

Kyuhyun nodded, as he his side to look at the demon, he finally voiced the question that they still hadn’t discussed yet. “Why’d you kiss me?”

Yesung was quiet for a moment, Kyuhyun could see all the thoughts going through his head, and then he finally answered, “Because I wanted to.” He glanced at the angel and smiled playfully, “Why did you kiss me?”

The angel’s cheeks flushed and his eyes averted to looking at the blanket instead of at Yesung, he decided to use the answer that the demon used, “B-Because I wanted to.”

He chuckled, and that sound alone made Kyuhyun’s stomach do flips. Kyuhyun bit his bottom lip and brought his gaze back up to meet Yesung’s, he confessed, “This is the first time I’ve felt something like this. That was my first kiss.”

Yesung’s eyes widened, “You mean… you’ve never been with another angel?” When Kyuhyun shook his head, the demon wondered how that could be possible, he knew the angel was a newborn but he was still old enough to have stolen someone’s heart in the angelic realm.

“Well, there was one angel that I liked but I was too much of a coward to ask them out,” he shrugged, “It was a good thing, too, because he was already taken, and I didn’t want to embarrass myself.”

The demon understood that, Kyuhyun was a bit shy and kind of awkward, but he found those traits about the angel to be cute.

“Who was it?”

“My teacher, Sungmin hyung; I thought he was the most amazing being when I first met him. He was the one that taught me everything I needed to know about leading souls home and the likes, he was also the one that told me the few things I thought I knew about demons,” Kyuhyun explained.

“Like?”

“Like the things about your kind only being filled with hatred and that you couldn’t love and that you wanted to destroy us, after meeting you, I realize that not everything he’s said was true,” Kyuhyun said, his grip tightening on Yesung’s hand. “You aren’t all cruel and horrible beings.”

“You make me sound like a saint, Kyuhyun,” Yesung shook his head. “Did you miss the part where I literally wanted to rip Chungho to shreds for wanting you earlier?”

Kyuhyun nodded in understanding, “But you were provoked,” he stated to which Yesung shrugged, understanding what he was getting at. He shyly looked down at their hands before adding, “Also I’m sorry about that earlier. I didn’t mean to blush, it’s just… what Seunghun said and it dawned on me that that’s why you asked me to limp. I just… I didn’t—I… it was embarrassing.”

He still turned almost beet-red just from thinking about the conversation earlier. Sure, he’d wondered what it would be like to be in a situation like that with Yesung; after all, seeing the demon so many times after walking out of the bathroom from a shower and dripping wet didn’t help in stopping his mind from wondering to those places. But it was still embarrassing to think about it but also to know that that’s what was running through the minds of the vampires as well.

“I am sorry about that, Kyuhyun,” Yesung replied. “I knew it would be embarrassing for you if you figured out what I was implying, but I didn’t think that either of them would say it flat out like that. I just figured that that would be one of the things they’d assume since you were still with me.”

The angel shyly nodded, “I know, I remembered what you told me before about demons and what they would’ve done if I had been caught by them instead of vampires.”

“Yeah, it wouldn’t have been pleasant. I’ve never been into that whole ordeal of taking a partner that wasn’t willing, but not everyone’s like that,” Yesung shuddered from the thought. “But since we’re talking about Chungho and Seunghun, why did you let them drink from you?” He asked, his gaze lowering from Kyuhyun’s eyes to the area of his neck where Chungho had bit into. The bite marks were gone, but the memory was still there for both of them. “You could’ve just let me kill them.”

Kyuhyun sighed to himself, should he tell Yesung the real reason? He couldn’t come up with anything else to excuse his actions other than that. “I did it… because maybe you’d need their help later on, and I didn’t want you to regret killing them once I was back in the angelic realm...”

It dawned on him then that he was still going back to the angelic realm once his wings grew back or when Leeteuk answered, despite what he and Yesung just confessed to each other, they were still going to be separated in the end. He was going to leave Yesung, and he honestly didn’t know if he’d ever get to see him again. That realization broke any enjoyment from confessing about how he felt as he gazed at the demon lying beside him.

“I wouldn’t have regretted anything, Kyuhyun; those two give me more headaches than anything. They are good fighters, true, but I don’t care for filth, I don’t think I’ve met a demon yet that liked to associate with vampires aside from business,” Yesung replied, his voice bringing the angel out of his thoughts, the demon was curious as to why the angel’s face had dropped from the smile to the pained expression he was sporting now. “Kyuhyun? Seriously, I wouldn’t bat an eye when it comes to your safety over those two, after all they put you through, I would’ve gladly taken care of them once and for all.”

Kyuhyun shook his head, “I-I know…” his gaze softened but still held sadness, he whispered, “you’re too good to me, Yesung.”

Before Yesung could respond with anything, Kyuhyun brought their lips together. This time, it was a soft kiss, but held desperation in it as Kyuhyun clung to Yesung. His hands grasping hold of the demon’s shirt and bringing them closer, clutching at him like he was afraid the demon would disappear. Yesung was confused at his actions but he couldn’t think anymore as his mind became hazy with the fact that they’re kissing, again, and nothing could taste as sweet as those lips of Kyuhyun’s, so he just went with it.

Kyuhyun was definitely getting the hang of kissing. He definitely enjoyed it too; he just wondered how much longer he would have to be able to share this experience with Yesung. He pulled back, and opened his eyes to find Yesung’s still closed, almost as if he were savoring the moment.

He smiled weakly at the sight; the idea of going home didn’t seem as exciting as before. Sure, he still wanted to be back in that graceful place, surrounded by his brothers and sisters, and not have anything to fear in that realm but this being lying beside him caused him to stumble in thought. He knew that his leader probably wouldn’t accept the demon, his brothers and sisters definitely wouldn’t, but the fact that Leeteuk was on good terms with Heechul made him wonder if he’d accept Yesung as well, he could only hope. Maybe if he explained how Yesung had saved him, how he treated him, and how the demon protected him that would get him under Leeteuk’s good graces.

“Kyuhyun?” The calling of his name snapped him out of his thoughts; he looked up to see Yesung’s curious gaze on him, “What’s wrong?”

Yesung was curious. The kiss, although it felt nice and Yesung couldn’t have gotten enough of it, it still didn’t feel right, and the expressions running across the angel’s face as he remained in thought worried him. What was he thinking about? Was he second-guessing his feelings? Was he still thinking about Chungho and Seunghun? Yesung was going crazy with all the questions popping up in his head.

Kyuhyun sighed, “I was just thinking…”

“About?” It was rude to intrude on someone’s thoughts, Yesung knew that, but he seriously wanted to know what was going on inside the angel’s mind.

Kyuhyun hesitated for a moment, his mouth opening then closing and then opened again to finally voice his question, “Will… will we ever see each other again once Leeteuk-hyung answers or once my wings grow back and I go back home?”

Yesung’s eyes widened at the question and after a moment, he to his back to stare at the ceiling, he was quiet for the longest time and that made Kyuhyun nervous. He knew it was a useless thing to hope for, but he couldn’t help but wonder if they would be able to. He’d found what he believed could blossom into love and he didn’t want to let go of it, he didn’t want to say goodbye to Yesung and never see the demon again.

Sighing to himself, Yesung closed his eyes, “I… I don’t know. If Leeteuk knew that you felt the way you do for me and I do for you, I have no doubts that he would definitely snatch you away from me within no time.”

“But why? I know that he wouldn’t like it that you’re a demon but he’s on good terms with Heechul and I could tell him how good you are to me--”

“That wouldn’t stop him,” Yesung cut him off, scowling at the white ceiling, “He wants me to suffer for whatever reasons he has, maybe it’s just because I’m a damned demon, but there’s no way that he’d let us be together. He’d take you back to the angelic realm and you’d forget all about me and I’d be left to pick up the pieces yet again.” Yesung sat up in the bed and started to get up.

“That’s not true, Yesung, I wouldn’t forget about you. How could I? You’re the first person I’ve ever felt like this with--” Kyuhyun started to say, sitting up in the bed as well, he was about to reach out for Yesung but the demon moved out of his reach.

“Kyuhyun, he’d do everything he could to make you forget me,” Yesung replied before slipping his coat on, he headed out of the room, slipping out “I… I need a moment,” and closing the bedroom door behind him, leaving Kyuhyun by himself.

The angel stared at the wooden door for the longest time, silent tears forming in his eyes, his stomach felt uneasy, but it was different from the way that Yesung usually made him feel. He knew that the demon probably feared that once he was back in the angelic realm, that they’d never seen each other again, he believed that even before his feelings for the demon grew. He knew that he’d even miss the demon before once he returned to the angelic realm.

But how could Yesung think that he could just so easily forget him? He’d tried this whole time to rid himself of the soft spot for the demon, but despite everything he did, it just made it grow. It’s because of that place that the demon had managed to wiggle himself into Kyuhyun’s heart that told him that even if Leeteuk tried to make him forget the demon that he wouldn’t be able to.

He refused to, but what Yesung said hurt him.

Lying back on the bed, he stared up at the ceiling, tears making their way down the side of his face. He wanted nothing more than to follow Yesung out but he knew that the demon needed some time to sort out his thoughts as he did with his own. Grabbing Yesung’s pillow, he held it to him, inhaling the scent as he closed his eyes to the ache in his chest.