Chapter Six

Hope Is A Dream That Doesn't Sleep

As the imitation of the sun bled into the windows of the grand bedroom, stretching across the room to the couple on the bed, the brown-haired man stirred, waking up against the pale white chest. He groaned as he moved to shield his eyes from the harsh sunlight. He nuzzled into the pale neck of the owner of the chest, sighing contently as he tried to keep his grasp on sleep.

The body that he was cuddled up to shifted, a groan falling from their lips, “Ugh, sometimes I regret making that sun.”

The brown haired man nuzzled into the pale neck again, smiling, “Hmm… could just get some darker curtains.”

The owner of the body turned towards the brown haired man, wrapping their arms around him, “Maybe I’ll have some installed today.” A yawn came from the man, “Should we go ahead and get up?”

“Well, we were in bed all day yesterday.”

“Doesn’t mean we were sleeping,” a snicker came from the other man. “This would be a crappy way of parenting we’re doing right now for the rabid dog.”

“Umma and appa have needs too, I’m sure he understands,” the brown haired man laughed as well. “But I do need to check on the angel. It’s too much to hope for but I’d like to see if there’s any progress on his wings.”

The other hummed, “I saw the remains of what they did, I’ve never been a fan of the fluttering beings, even I’ve ripped the wings off angels in battle but he looked completely broken.”

“I’m guessing he’s a newborn. So naïve. Yesung had to keep reassuring him that his wings would grow back.”

“A newborn? I’m surprised Leeteuk didn’t go after the little angel himself while he was still in the human realm. Surely, the angel prayed for one of the angels to save him. How long was he with the vampires?”

“I believe a month? Maybe Leeteuk had more pressing matters.”

“Hankyung, I don’t think you understand how Leeteuk is. A newborn of his would be his top priority over anything else. It makes me wonder what’s going on up there.”

Hankyung nodded slowly, before a question popped in his head, “If there is something going on up there, what do we do if he doesn’t answer when you contact him about the angel?”

The other was silent for a moment. He wanted more than anything to hurry up and send the little angel off before anything happened between him and Yesung but if Leeteuk didn’t answer his call, then they’d have no other way of getting the angel back to his realm. Not until his wings grew back anyway, and that could take some time, he knew. He could put the angel in one of his other trusted demon’s care but Yesung wouldn’t stand for it, and he knew that none of the other demons would risk surfacing the human realm for fear of being killed.

“Heechul?”

He sighed, “I don’t know what we do then. Let’s just hope that Leeteuk answers, if he doesn’t… then I guess we’ll figure it out when that time comes.”

“Alright, well, I guess I’ll get up and go check on those two,” Hankyung replied as he escaped the hold of Heechul’s arms and moved to get up, stumbling a little, chuckling, he added, “if I can walk, that is.”

Heechul laughed, still not moving from his spot on the bed, “I believe you were rougher on me this time than I was on you, love.”

The human shook his head, a smile on his face, “I think it’s a tie, Chullie.”

“Eh, possibly,” he moved his legs a bit before sitting up in the bed, the black sheet falling to his waist, exposing the marks that Hankyung left. He looked down at himself before glancing at the human’s exposed skin that was slowly being covered up as he slipped clothes on. “It’s not fair that I can’t leave my marks on you like you can me.”

Hankyung glanced down at himself before he looked at the prince, he shrugged, “Well, at least the important marks stick around.” He motioned to the side of his neck where the scars of a bite mark were still visible before slipping on his shirt, “But what else could you expect from a natural born healer?”

“True. And nothing less, I suppose,” Heechul shifted to get out of bed, “I’ll join you in checking on the angel. Just to see how Yesung is.”

“Okay.”

 

--

 

Everything was quiet in the dark room except three different sets of snoring, none too loud to disturb anyone’s sleep. The curtains were pulled so the sun wasn’t blaring in on the sleeping inhabits, and the candles had gone out sometime during the night. It was peaceful unlike most of the other inhabits of the castle that were already up and out through the other wings of the castle.

Kyuhyun was drifting in the gray area of sleep and consciousness, he could feel his surroundings, hear everything but sleep wasn’t ready to let go of him yet. He felt his hand cupped together with Yesung’s, the tiny hand twitching against his, he assumed it was from whatever the demon was dreaming about. He figured he must’ve ended up grabbing his hand sometime while he was asleep because he knew he wasn’t holding it before then.

Listening to the noises of the room, Kyuhyun was almost lulled back to full sleep, but that was until he heard loud voices outside the bedroom door. His eyes snapped open, sleep’s hold was lost now due to fear. He squeezed Yesung’s hand out of instinct, but the demon was still snoring quietly.

He almost jumped out of his skin when a loud pounding on the door echoed through the room, the demon that was sleeping beside him, sprang up in bed, wide awake now. A growl came from Yesung when the door knob rattled, the sound of something clicking followed and then the door flew open. Kyuhyun hid behind Yesung, his hands clutching the back of the demon’s shirt as he bit his lip to keep from screaming out at whoever just entered the room.

Kyuhyun heard Yesung’s growling stop and then he sighed in annoyance, “It’s too early for a visit, hyung.”

“You’re usually up with the sun, anyway, so I figured we’d come by now.” The angel recognized that voice, he peeked over the demon’s shoulder to see the red haired demon with the human healer, Heechul and Hankyung.

Yesung reached back and pried Kyuhyun’s hands from his shirt before moving to lie back down, “I didn’t get back till the break of dawn, Heechul hyung, can’t whatever it is wait a few more hours?”

Kyuhyun returned to his spot in the bed, letting Yesung have his place back as the demon yawned, his head resting back on the pillow. And although Kyuhyun knew he was safe because of who the company ended up being, he still reached for Yesung’s hand to hold.

Heechul glanced at the two on the bed, his eyes narrowing on their intertwined hands, before his gaze moved to the couple cuddled up on the floor under a blanket. “Did you have a slumber party last night? And what do you mean you came back at the break of dawn? Where’d you go?”

Yesung waved his hand, “I had souls to collect yesterday. Donghae said he tried telling you but you two were preoccupied.”

Hankyung’s cheeks flushed lightly, and then shook his head, and mumbled, “Sorry about that.” He cleared his throat, “We’re actually here to check on the angel’s wings and to see how they’re healing."

Kyuhyun’s ears perked up at that while Yesung hummed, “So I can go back to sleep?”

Heechul rolled his eyes; he knew how the rabid dog was when he didn’t have enough sleep. “I suppose you could, but depending on what Hankyung says about him, you may get to take him back to human realm tonight or tomorrow,” Yesung’s eyes opened once Heechul said that. “The sooner the better, I really don’t want any other demons finding out about him.”

At that, Hankyung walked over to the angel to start checking his wellbeing.

As Yesung was about to speak, another voice exclaimed, “Really?! We get to go to the human realm so soon?”

Heechul glanced over to see Donghae, with a bright grin on his face, had woken up and heard what he said, he nodded with a smile in return, “I suppose so,” he turned back to Yesung, “You’re taking them too?”

“As payment for watching Kyuhyun yesterday.”

“Ah, Kyuhyun?” The red haired demon glanced at the angel and Yesung, assuming that’s the angel’s name. “You’re taking all four of them? I noticed Shindong and Zhou Mi out in the hall, playing some card game, and they claimed to be guarding your room as well.”

Yesung nodded, “If they want to go also, then yeah. I figured if all five of us are leaving then our scents would mask Kyuhyun’s.”

Heechul hummed, as he watched Hankyung’s inspection of the angel’s vital signs. “That should work, but I’ll also give the angel one of my robes to wear to also hide his scent.”

“Thank you, hyung.”

The prince waved him off as he continued to watch Hankyung and the angel, Kyuhyun. He’d requested for the angel to release his wings to see if they’ve started growing back yet. They both knew that it was still too soon but with the angel being a newborn, maybe his would grow back quicker, or at least show signs that they were coming back already.

He watched the angel concentrate and then released the two black and charred-looking bones from his back. He gasped at the sight, he saw them before when he first met the angel but he didn’t know that those were the remains of his wings. The demon prince figured that one of the vampires must’ve decided to torture the angel while keeping him around but to go as far as to burn his wings?

On the battlefield, he’d ripped wings from angels’ backs but he’d never taken it as far as burning them off. It was no wonder why the angel couldn’t get back home without help. Those wings wouldn’t be growing back anytime soon, it took awhile for wings that were ripped off to grow back but for wings that were burnt off, he couldn’t imagine how long it’d take those to grow back.

Heechul glanced at Yesung and noticed the demon watching as Hankyung inspected the angel’s wings, his and the angel’s hands had found each other’s again. When Yesung noticed his stare, he let go of the angel’s hand and rested it on his stomach instead. The demon prince sighed to himself; he should’ve known that this would not end well. He hoped that the angelic leader would make haste to retrieve the angel once they surfaced the earth tomorrow before anything else could take place between the angel and the demon.

He wanted Yesung to be happy, but the two beings weren’t supposed to mix. They weren’t allowed to interact with each other. Especially with feelings of love. And Yesung didn’t have it in him to snatch the angel away and keep him with him forever. Unless the angel wanted to rebel and wanted to go with Yesung which is unlikely in most cases. This would only end in more pain for the rabid dog.

 

--

 

Kyuhyun twitched and shivered as Hankyung’s hands moved over his skin. His shirt was off now, and the cold air of the room was causing chill bumps to form on his skin. He silently wished that Hankyung would hurry before he froze. He wondered why Yesung had released his hand because just that little bit of warmth from his warm hand had kept him from shivering.

Finally, after what seemed like forever, Hankyung removed his hands, “You don’t have any infection in your wings so I’m assuming your own healing abilities are working since you’re resting better now. When you get back to the human realm, eat some food so that it’ll take a lesser time for the wings to start growing back. Even though it’s human nourishment, the vitamins may help quicken your wings growth. You’re good to head back to the human realm anytime now.”

Kyuhyun nodded, quickly slipping the shirt back on and covering himself with the blanket, “How long until they grow back?”

Hankyung shook his head, “It depends. Maybe a month or two, the food that you eat should help with the healing process along as with your own healing, so it may end up being quicker than that. Just give it time though.”

He sighed. A month or two was a long time to wait; hopefully Leeteuk would come and get him or send someone for him so he wouldn’t be stuck in the human realm, “Alright, thank you.”

“You’re welcome, Kyuhyun, I wish you a speedy recovery,” the human smiled at him, and Kyuhyun couldn’t help but smile back. He turned to Yesung, “When were you planning to leave?”

“If I can get a few more hours of sleep before nightfall then I suppose we’ll leave tonight. The sooner we leave then the sooner Heechul-hyung can contact Leeteuk and tell him about Kyuhyun,” Yesung replied.

The demon prince nodded, “Sounds good to me,” he then grinned, dragging Hankyung back to the door, “Sweet dreams, rabid dog, I’ll keep in touch when you get to the human realm.”

Yesung waved him off as the two slipped out the door, and laid back down, pulling the blanket up and closing his eyes. It wasn’t even a moment later that his snoring started again. Kyuhyun glanced at Donghae who seemed more than happy to oblige with a few extra hours of sleep, and it didn’t seem like Eunhyuk had stirred in his sleep the whole time the demon prince and the human were there. He didn’t even move when Donghae cuddled up to him, resting his head on the demon’s shoulder as he snored away.

He envied the two. Whether it was because of their relationship or the fact that they had each other to get warm while he was still freezing, he didn’t know.

Kyuhyun laid back on the bed, snuggling into the blanket and inching slowly to the side of the bed that Yesung was on, the heat radiating off the sleeping demon felt too good to ignore. He made sure not to touch the demon, out of fear that he’d wake him up again, but he moved to get as close to the warmth of Yesung as possible before he finally closed his eyes and sighed in contentment.

The last thoughts going through his head before sleep took him were that he’d be going home soon. They were leaving out that night and the demon prince would contact Leeteuk and then he’d come and take him back to the angelic realm. He couldn’t wait to see his brothers and sisters again.

But just as he was about to fall asleep, one last thought ran through his mind; would he ever get to see this demon beside him again after he returned to his home? And how could he repay him for everything Yesung’s done for him so far?