Chapter One

Hope Is A Dream That Doesn't Sleep

“No! Please, doctor, save him!” The elderly woman cried out as she held onto the doctor’s white coat, tears running down her cheeks. The long beep of a monitor in the background was all she heard even though she tried refusing to.

The doctor sighed, prying the lady’s hands from his coat before setting his clipboard down, “I’m sorry, ma’am, we’ve tried everything but it’s just his time to go.” He glanced at the monitor; the heart rate was nothing more than a straight line running across the screen as well as the breathing patterns.

He glanced at the nurse and nodded for her to start unhooking all the wires and IVs from the elderly man lying on the bed. He held a peaceful smile, his eyes closed as if he were just sleeping. The elderly woman turned back to her husband and rested her head against his chest as she sobbed. Her hand gripping his, wishing that he’d grip back as hard as he did just moments ago. She knew it was his time to go, she did, but that didn’t make it any easier letting him go.

But unbeknownst to the elderly lady and doctor, a brown haired man in a white suit was watching with the soul of the elderly man beside him. No matter how many times, the brown haired man witnessed scenes like this, it still pained him the same. The only thing that brightened up the day though was that he knew the soul he was guiding home was going to heaven.

“Will she be alright?” The elderly man asked, he desperately wanted to go over and hold his wife but he knew that he wouldn’t be able to.

The brown haired man nodded in reply, “Yes, I believe she will. It’ll be hard at first but soon she’ll be joining you in eternal happiness.” He turned towards the window of the room where the sunlight seemed far more brighter flowing in than the elderly man could remember seeing before. “Shall we go now?”

A small smile brightened his face before he followed after the brown haired man into the light. With the fluttering of two snow white wings, the two disappeared.

 

 

That was his last case for the next few days, so Kyuhyun decided to enjoy himself with his favorite pastime. While walking amongst the humans, greeting them all with a smile in hopes of brightening up their day, and watching over those less fortunate, he found one of the arcades. He knew that it was something that stuck with him from his mortal life and should’ve faded away with his other memories, but after seeing the screens of the video games on his first mission, he easily became addicted to them again.

After hours of playing and records of high scores, he noticed the sun outside the arcade had already sunk into the horizon. He exited the arcade and headed down the emptying streets, he had a few dollars left that he could offer to a weary soul to get them something warm to keep from freezing that night in the winter air. It was times like this that he was grateful that he couldn’t feel the cold, after all, he knew his white suit wouldn’t offer much warmth if he could feel the cold.

Turning down one of the alleyways, he searched the darkness for anyone in need, but instead of a human, he found something else. A vampire. He hoped that he could turn around and get out of the alley as soon as possible without the vampire knowing but that thought was shot down when two glowing red eyes locked with his. A grin crossed the being’s face, its pearly white teeth gleaming from the dim lighting from the streetlights, causing Kyuhyun’s skin crawl.

“Why, hello there,” the vampire sniffed at the air and exhaled with pleasure, smirking, he continued, “little angel.” He stepped forward towards Kyuhyun, making him step back. “You’re not scared of me, are you, little angel?”

Kyuhyun quickly went to reach for his silver dagger, capable of killing anything, demon or human, due to the archangel Michael’s craftiness, but he was cut off guard when someone else yanked it out of his reach, throwing the dagger a few feet away. He gasped in shock at the second pair of glowing red eyes that were just inches away from his face. He tried backing up, to get enough distance to break out in a run from the two vampires, but that plan failed when the vampire grabbed him and threw him against the wall of one of the buildings. His head hit hard against the brick, and seconds later, he felt a slight wave of dizziness come over him along with something warm dripping down his hair onto the back of his neck.

“My, my, that smells heavenly,” a voice laughed from beside him. Kyuhyun didn’t see them move that fast, he tried shouting out for help but a hand quickly covered his mouth. “Do you want the neck or the wrist, Chungho?” Kyuhyun struggled to get out of the vampire’s grasp but his movements were sluggish due to his head injury.

Another pair of hands grabbed Kyuhyun’s wrist, and brought it up to their noses to inhaling deeply, “I’ll take the wrist, Seunghun, you caught him, so you should get his neck.”

“Thanks, I just thought I’d offer.”

And with that, they both bit into Kyuhyun’s neck and wrist, greedily drinking down his life source and ignoring his muffled pleas for them to cease. The light-headedness increased with the more they drank from him until the only thing that was holding him up was the vampire’s hands. He didn’t realize it at first but the vampire’s hand had moved from his mouth to join its other hand on his waist to keep him from falling out of their grasp.

He whimpered against the pain, his voice barely a whisper, “Please… please stop…”

The one that was feeding from his neck let go for a moment, its glowing eyes connected with Kyuhyun’s that were wet with tears. The vampire nudged the other one, to get its attention.

“Maybe we should stop, Chungho?” The other vampire was about to protest but it continued, “Think about it, if we kept it alive and took it back to our lair, we could keep it around as our little blood bag.”

The other vampire chuckled in response, “You know, Seunghun, I love the way you think. Our own little bag of angel blood, I like it.”

“We need some chains to keep it from escaping though. I know it’ll stay too weak to break free but just something to hold it there,” Seunghun said, releasing Kyuhyun from his hold and letting him fall to the ground.

Chungho nodded, “Alright, I’ll go and find some; you take him back to the lair and wait for me. I don’t want any other little angels coming to the rescue.”

“Gotcha.”

 

 

Kyuhyun was drifting in and out of consciousness when he felt someone carrying him, he remembered being dumped on the floor, then muffled voices around him, he heard something metallic clinking together, and then he felt something cold wrapped around both his wrists and then all was silent and dark. He still felt weak, his limps were heavy weights that he couldn’t seem to lift, and even though his eyes were open, he couldn’t see anything but blackness. With the twitching of his fingers creating some movement, he soon discovered that there were chains wrapped around his wrists that lay at his sides. He was leaned up against a wall and chained there.

With silent tears running down his cheeks, he prayed.