Chapter Seven

Hope Is A Dream That Doesn't Sleep

The four had no trouble at all getting out of the castle and to the portal of the Underworld without drawing any attention to them from other demons. The robe that Heechul gave Kyuhyun masked his scent well, and covered him from head to toe so the angel’s natural glow wasn’t even visible. Kyuhyun simply loved the robe because it kept him the warmest he’s been since he started feeling the cold. The demon prince had explained that it was designed with Hankyung in mind to help keep the human warm after he made the changes to the Underworld. Nevertheless, the angel was very grateful for it.

Zhou Mi and Shindong decided to stay behind while Donghae and Eunhyuk couldn’t leave the castle soon enough. Both were eager to enter the human realm again to be able to see all the sights and experiences again. Of course, they were allowed to resurface when they needed to collect souls, but most of the time, they were too busy with chores and tasks that Yesung gave them to be able to wonder about.

As soon as the four reached the portal and surfaced, the demon couple took off in the snow covered city in search of finding the direction of the ocean. Left behind were Yesung and Kyuhyun as the demon led the way to his apartment in the city. It was still the early hours of the morning so no one was out and about in the soft snow still falling. Everything was quiet between the two except for the crunch of snow and ice under their footsteps.

Yesung pulled his coat tighter around him when the wind started to blow against them. Kyuhyun glanced out from under the hood of the robe at the demon and thought about wrapping his arm around him to try to keep him warm but the idea seemed too intimate for the two. Plus it looked like the demon wasn’t too cold, just braving against the wind; another plus with Heechul’s robe, Kyuhyun couldn’t even feel the wind against him.

If he ever met the demon prince again, he’d have to thank him greatly for allowing him the use of the robe. If he wore any of Yesung’s coats, he probably would’ve frozen before making it to the portal of the Underworld.

“It isn’t too many more blocks from here before we’ll be out of the cold,” Yesung’s voice broke through the silence, glancing over at Kyuhyun.

He nodded, “Alright, I’m fine though. Prince Heechul’s robe is like a personal furnace.”

“It should be, it was made in the hottest pits of Hell, that material would stay warm for centuries.” He smiled and noted, “He makes nothing but the best for Hankyung.”

“Is Hankyung more than just a servant to him? Their behavior confuses me,” Kyuhyun asked as they rounded the corner of a street where several tall buildings and stores stood side by side on each side of the street.

“They’re lovers; Hankyung was never a servant to Heechul. He may act like one but everything he does, it’s all done out of his love for Heechul.”

Kyuhyun slowly nodded but confusion still filled him, humans and demons could have that kind of relationship? “But wouldn’t Hankyung eventually die? He is a human…”

Yesung shook his head, “Hankyung’s already over a century old. True, he’s human but since he was born a prophecy child with the healing ability, his body heals on its own, meaning he could never age because his skin would constantly be repairing itself, his organs would never give out because they’d be healed until they were working to their fullest again.”

The angel’s eyes widened at the information, following after Yesung as he entered one of the tall buildings, stepping in from the cold into the warmth of the building. The inside was vacant as they made their way up a few flights of stairs. “So they could be together until the end of time then.”

“Yeah, although I’m not sure if anything could kill Hankyung, his body heals pretty quickly against small cuts and bruises but no one’s ever laid a hand on him to know. Heechul’s very protective over him.” They finally reached a floor and Kyuhyun followed Yesung down a hallway, stopping at the fifth door on the right. He slipped a key into the door and pushed it open. “This is it.”

Kyuhyun looked inside, and was surprised. It looked different from the room in the castle. There were still candles everywhere but the colors of the room weren’t dark, the walls were white, decorated with few pictures, the carpet was a cream color and the furniture was a beige tint. From the doorway, it didn’t look like the apartment was that big but looks could be deceiving.

“It’s only one bedroom though, so one of us can take the couch or sleep in the bed together like before,” Yesung said as he stepped in, slipping his shoes off, and going over to the thermostat setting on the wall and adjusting the temperature to the room. It was a bit cool despite the walls and windows keeping out the wind. “You’re more than welcomed to make yourself at home; it should only take a few minutes before the heater warms up the place.”

Kyuhyun nodded as he closed the door of the apartment. He looked around the room as Yesung disappeared through the only other door in the place. The kitchen was divided from the living room by a small island that had several books and CDs littered across. In the living room was a TV and several different DVDs stacked beside it, the only furniture was a couch and a recliner. There were few shelves with books and other papers stacked in them.

He pulled down the hood of the robe and walked over to inspect the books. He wanted to see if Yesung’s taste in literature was really as boring as the books he’d found in his room in the castle. Heechul didn’t look like the type to read old detective novels. But instead of finding old detective novels, he found Japanese comic books that ranged from action to fantasy genres.

Laughing to himself, Kyuhyun set the books back where they were. He never would’ve guessed the demon to read that kind of stuff. Yesung didn’t seem like the type but never judge a book by its cover, he mused.

He sat down on the couch and stared out the window at the snow falling from the gray skies. The robe was starting to get hot as the room warmed up slowly; he ed the top few buttons to keep from burning up. He looked up when he heard Yesung step back into the room; the demon was carrying a small device and a wire in his hands.

Yesung walked over to one of the electric outlets and plugged the wire in and connected it to the small device. At Kyuhyun’s curious glances, Yesung held up the small black thing. It was a cellphone.

“It’s an easier way of keeping in contact with Heechul than the whole pricking my finger and summoning him with my blood,” Yesung explained, checking the screen of the phone to see that it was charging, and mumbled, “less painful too.”

Kyuhyun nodded in understanding, as Yesung walked over and joined him on the couch, keeping a safe distance between. “I’d suggest going out and buying you some food like Hankyung instructed to get but until the phone charges, I don’t want to miss a call from Heechul in case he’s already gotten in contact with Leeteuk.”

“That’s fine, I’m not too thrilled to go back out in that anytime soon,” Kyuhyun joked.

“Not too fond of the snow, eh?” Yesung asked, reaching for the remote and turning on the television.

“I like the snow, it’s nice to look at, but I can’t get used to the coldness,” he sighed, “I miss my suit.”

Yesung nodded, “I understand, you’ve never been exposed to it either, but you’re more than welcomed to keep Heechul’s robe as long as you want. Hankyung has more to keep him satisfied.”

“Thank you.”

There was silence between the two as Yesung kept flipping through the channels, nothing catching his interest yet. Kyuhyun was staring at the screen but his mind was still pondering over Hankyung’s situation. He was the only human that Kyuhyun knew of that couldn’t die, not to mention be over a century old and still look like he was in his twenties, and he could even heal himself and others. It amazed the angel.

“Yesung?”

“Hmm?” The demon glanced over at the angel.

“What did you mean that Hankyung was a prophecy child? That’s the reason why he can heal and live forever?”

“Yeah, they’re born every so often to help people and some, depending on whatever talents they’re given, are either killed or banished. In Hankyung’s case, several priests saw value in his ability so they locked him away from the rest of the world and only allowed certain people to come and be healed by him. Mostly people that paid a lot of gold or money as you know, humans will always be greedy.”

Kyuhyun slowly nodded, then asked, “How did Heechul find him then?”

“I don’t know the full details but Heechul apparently saw him on one of the rare visits that the priests escorted him to. Some nobleman was sick and couldn’t be moved so they took Hankyung to the man’s house to heal him. Heechul told me that it was the first time he’d met a human that drew him to them, Hankyung noticed him as well, of course, but who wouldn’t with that bright red hair, right?” The two laughed before Yesung continued, “It was lust at first. Heechul followed them back to the place where they kept Hankyung and snuck in to meet him. The priests found out about it the next day when they walked in on the two and entangled with each other. They knew what Heechul was when they saw him and ran him out of the place, well, Heechul allowed them to do so.

“The priests fixed up every crucifixion and every charm that was supposed to repel the demon but Heechul is the prince of the Underworld, no charm or wooden cross could keep him from entering a place. He toyed with them at first, sometimes killing one of the priests every so often, playing pranks or small things to scare them. Hankyung played along as well; he’d wait for Heechul every night just for the chance to be together again.

“Then one night, Heechul came and asked Hankyung if he wanted to come with him to the Underworld, and Hankyung agreed, so he snatched the human away and they’ve been together ever since.”

Kyuhyun was in awe at the story, staring blankly at the TV screen in amazement, imagining everything that Yesung told him. “Wasn’t Hankyung scared of him at first? Didn’t he worry that Prince Heechul might kill him?”

Yesung shrugged, “Hankyung wasn’t under the priests’ protection of his own will, and he’d tried escaping from them since they found him. When Heechul came along, I guess he saw his freedom in the prince. Plus I wouldn’t doubt that his lust ruled out any logical thinking about a demon finding interest in him or the fear of the demon killing him.”

The angel nodded, rethinking the story. “So they didn’t love each other to begin with?”

He shook his head, “No, it was just lust, but over time, they fell in love with each other. I’m not sure what happened for them to realize it, but they did and nothing’s broken them apart since.”

“That sounds so amazing, I doubt I’m supposed to think it, but it’s really amazing,” Kyuhyun replied.

Yesung glanced at him in confusion, “Amazing?”

Kyuhyun’s gaze met Yesung’s before he looked down at his hands that were playing with one of the buttons of the robe, “Yeah, Hankyung must be a strong person to put his trust in a demon, and Heechul didn’t abuse it either, plus neither of them have grown bored of each other either, it seems.”

“You’ve been observing humans too much. When a demon loves someone, it’s hard for them to be away from that person, they get overprotective, and they want to do everything they can to make that person happy. They can love that person for an eternity.”

Kyuhyun bit his lip before confessing, “I didn’t think demons could love, to be honest. I was just told that they’re evil, filled with hatred and wanted to destroy us.”

Yesung nodded at the statement, and shrugged, “Well, the majority of us do, angels and demons aren’t supposed to mix by nature, but sometimes you can come to agreements and you can even be civilized towards each other. Heechul and Leeteuk are good examples of it, although other demons and angels are against the bond they have, but it doesn’t change anything between them. But yes, we can and do love. But humans are a lot easier to be with than angels.”

The demon finally stopped flipping through the channels and ended up on a variety show, he wasn’t interested in the show, just tired of trying to find something to watch. Kyuhyun, absentmindedly, watched the people talking but didn’t hear anything they were saying. His mind was still thinking over everything Yesung told him, and realized that the things he’d heard so far about demons weren’t all true, at least some of the demons weren’t as bad as they were made out to be.

When Yesung held out the remote to Kyuhyun for him to find something interesting to watch, a thought popped in the angel’s head as he looked from the remote to the demon. His eyes showed his lack of interest in the television but a small smile adorned his face as he offered the remote.

“Have you ever loved someone, Yesung?” Kyuhyun asked, taking the remote and just holding it for a moment. His gaze not leaving Yesung’s as the question caused the demon’s smile to falter.

Hesitantly, Yesung nodded his head, breaking the eye contact for in favor of staring out the window instead of at the television. “Yeah, in my whole existence, only two people.”

“Two?” Kyuhyun asked, his eyebrows rose, “What happened to them?”

Yesung sighed shakily; this was a subject he rarely ever wanted to talk about again. The only ones that did know were Heechul and Hankyung, and only because they pried it out of him. He knew that Kyuhyun was just curious but he didn’t want the angel to pity him or think differently of him.

“Yesung? It’s okay; you don’t have to answer if it’s a touchy subject--”

The demon shook his head, waving off Kyuhyun’s reply, “They’re both dead.”

Kyuhyun instantly regretted having asked the question. He knew from watching loved ones and spouses cry over their late beloveds that it was a hard thing to go through. He’d felt guilty countless times when he had to lead those souls home when the places they left were full of sadness because of the loss.

“I-I’m sorry, Yesung. Forget that I asked, I didn’t mean to bring up any--”

“It’s alright, Kyuhyun. It’s been a few decades since then, I should be over it and open enough to talk about it,” the demon flashed him a small, wavering smile. “Besides, I told you that’d I provide answers to your questions.”

Kyuhyun remembered him saying that but he didn’t want Yesung to continue with these answers if it was a difficult subject for him. He stayed quiet at first then gulped and asked his first question.

“Were they human? So they died of old age or sickness?”

Yesung gave a half-shrug, “Well, the first one was human, and the son of a pastor. I always found it strange that he’d be attracted to a demon and so willingly sought me out to be with me. He was very religious but apparently I had wiggled my way into his heart and he wasn’t willing to shut me out.”

Kyuhyun found that odd too. If the man was religious, he would’ve done everything to get away from the demon or done anything he could’ve to get rid of the demon. But when he thought about it, if Yesung was always as kind as he was towards him, then it was no wonder why the man wouldn’t have done anything against him.

He hesitated before asking his next question, “What happened to him?”

“He had brain cancer that no one knew about until it was too late, and by that time, it had already progressed too far for anything to be done. After he told me about it, he ran away from me, thinking that since he was dying that I wouldn’t want him anymore. I was going to tell him that I could save him; he wouldn’t have to face death because I could’ve given him immortality.

“But just as I was on my way to find him, Leeteuk intercepted,” Yesung could see the questions popping up in Kyuhyun’s head at the mention of the angelic leader. “He stopped me from going to him because his death was to be assured. He was one of the select few that were going to become an angel. I ignored Leeteuk and continued on my way to find him but the whole way, I kept thinking of his fate. I knew how passionate he was in his faith, I admired that about him, he was such a strong person in God, and I realized that I’d be robbing him of everything that made him the person that he was if I allowed myself to change him into a demon. He deserved to be an angel.

“So that night, I confessed to him everything that I’d come to love about him and that he didn’t need to run away from me because of the cancer because I still loved and cared for him. I stayed with him until his last moments on earth and I even saw Leeteuk when he took his soul onto heaven,” Yesung finished with a heavy sigh.

It’d been awhile since those memories had resurfaced in his mind. He’d buried them for so long but at least he wasn’t in tears and pain over them anymore. Instead his chest and shoulders felt lighter like a burden had been lifted off him. He glanced over at Kyuhyun to see the angel wiping at his eyes, a quiet sniffle coming from him. He wanted to reach over and grasp the angel’s hand and tell him that it was okay because he felt like he was over it but he refrained. Heechul popped in his head and he reminded himself to keep any physical contact with Kyuhyun to a minimal.

“D-did you two ever get to meet again? Since he became an angel, surely, you two must’ve ran into each other,” Kyuhyun asked, finally flipping the television off since it still remained on the same channel as when Yesung handed the remote to him. Learning about Yesung was more interesting than anything on the television.

“Yeah, but since he’d became an angel, all his memories of his previous life were erased. He just saw me as a threat and nothing more though, I think that hurt more than losing him. When he tried fighting me, I just ran, I couldn’t bring myself to hurt him. Even if he had ended up attacking enough and was about to kill me, I doubt I would’ve fought back.”

Kyuhyun stared at him, a few more tears gathering at the corner of his eyes. He couldn’t begin to put himself in Yesung’s shoes. He’d never known love so he didn’t know what he would’ve done in that situation, but from what Yesung said earlier about how demons love and how strongly they feel for that person, he couldn’t imagine how much it must’ve hurt for him to lose that person and being treated like an enemy in the end.

“I’m sorry for having that stuff brought up again. I can’t imagine how much that must’ve hurt.”

Yesung shrugged, smiling softly at the angel, “It happened so long ago, I think I’m finally getting over it.”

Kyuhyun nodded and was about to say something else until the cellphone started ringing. Yesung quickly got up to answer it.  From the expression on his face, Kyuhyun figured that it was Heechul calling him. He quietly listened to see if he could hear whatever Heechul was saying.

“He’s not answering, Yesung. I’ve been calling ever since you left but still nothing.”

“What do you mean? Don’t all your calls to him go though?”

“Yeah, usually, unless they’re all out taking care of a disaster. Have there been any major events in the human realm?”

Yesung glanced at the TV, he disconnected the phone from the charger, hoping it had enough charge to retrieve the remote and start flipping to the news stations. “I don’t see any--” he stopped when he came across the footage of a hurricane in the west, from the headlines at the bottom of the screen, it looked like something major, he sighed, “there was a hurricane in the west. You think that’s the reason for them all to be out?”

“It could be, Leeteuk would want to help with something like that. No one else is allowed to answer his calls either so I can’t contact any other angel,” Heechul sighed on the other end. “Looks like the angel is stuck with you until that disaster gets cleared up. I’ll keep trying to get through though.”

“Okay, thanks, hyung.”

“It’s no problem, my dongsaeng. I’ll call back tomorrow to let you know anything.”

“Alright,” Yesung said as he closed the phone, ending the call. He noticed Kyuhyun’s blank stare at the news station that he’d ended up on, the hurricane footage was still being shown. “I guess you already--”

“Yeah, no one answered,” Kyuhyun replied, exhaling a shaky breath as he continued to watch the screen. “I’ll have to wait until this,” he nodded at the news report, “is taken care of.”

“I’m sorry, Kyuhyun. I know what’s like to want to go home, if I had wings, I’d fly you up there. Hopefully yours will come in quickly so you can get back home, we just have to wait,” Yesung said, trying to give the angel some hope.

Kyuhyun shook his head, tears gathering up in his eyes, “I waited for a month for someone to hear my prayers and pleas to save me from those two vampires, all I received was more torture instead. No one heard me. Leeteuk-hyung always said he’d be there for me because I was his dongsaeng,” he hiccupped and his voice shook as he continued, “H-He’s not h-here for me now, h-he d-didn’t reply to any of my p-prayers, h-he didn’t s-save me from those two. He’s n-not answering n-now, he’s not there to hear Prince Heechul’s calls…” he stopped as a sob fell from his lips, pulling his legs up and wrapping his arms around him, he cried into his knees.

Yesung bit his lip at the sight of the angel in front of him. He sat down beside Kyuhyun and wrapped his arm around him, repeating comforting words to the angel as he tried to console him. No matter what Yesung said, it didn’t stop the cries, so he just held the angel. It hurt him to see the angel break down, something inside him ached, wanting to be able to put a smile back on Kyuhyun’s face, but he couldn’t do anything. He couldn’t make Leeteuk answer, he couldn’t take Leeteuk’s place in helping the souls of the hurricane disaster so the angel was there for the maknae, he couldn’t fly Kyuhyun up to the angelic realm, and he couldn’t force Kyuhyun’s wings to grow any faster. Instead he just let the angel cry himself out.

A few moments later, in Yesung’s embrace, Kyuhyun shifted, his head falling on the demon’s shoulder. He was still sniffling but he wasn’t sobbing anymore, the trace of tears evident on his face, his eyes red and puffy and his nose was dripping. He wiped at his face with the sleeve of the robes before he blinked at the wetness from his eyes so he could see the television screen clearly, the same news report still on.

He gulped, and tried to get his breathing under control. Yesung’s hand that was around him was now rubbing the angel’s arm in an attempt to calm him. He felt a spark from the demon’s touch through the robe’s material and chill bumps formed on his arm; he didn’t pay much attention to it as he cleared his throat and voiced the question that he feared the most.

“What if… what if he’s forgotten about me?” His voice was barely a whisper but the demon heard him.

Yesung’s eyes widened, that was what the angel was worried about? His hand stopped rubbing Kyuhyun’s arm and he clutched him tighter. “He hasn’t forgotten about you. You’ll get to go back home, Kyuhyun, either he’ll come for you or your wings will grow back out and you’ll be able to fly up there and meet him. But don’t doubt your leader, Kyuhyun, you’re his dongsaeng, he couldn’t forget about you.”

Kyuhyun hummed in response and then everything was quiet between the two as the news had switched over to the sports report. Neither one of them moved out of the embrace, Yesung didn’t mind it, and it didn’t seem like Kyuhyun cared at the moment, he just need some form of comfort and closeness.

Yesung was more than willing to provide that to the angel, it hurt him to see Kyuhyun fall apart. Although he couldn’t help the all-too-familiar feeling he got from their position. With the angel curled up on the couch, his head on Yesung’s shoulder and the demon’s arm around the angel, it was like they belonged like that. It was a feeling that Yesung missed, something that cured the loneliness that had embedded itself in his being ever since he lost the ones that were precious to him.

He knew he should fight the feeling, Kyuhyun would return home soon and they’d probably never see each other again, and he’d fall back into his routine of wandering here and there. It was useless to start allowing any kind of feelings to grow for the angel. He didn’t even know if the angel felt the same for him either. He could just hear Heechul’s lecturing if he had admitted to feeling anything for the angel, except pity and a need to help Kyuhyun.

But he couldn’t shake the feeling that for now, and the time given until Leeteuk answers or Kyuhyun’s wings grow back, he wasn’t alone anymore. Maybe he was a masochist, maybe that’s what made him clutch the angel closer to him, and maybe that’s the reason why he didn’t stop the smile from crossing his lips. Even if it ended up being a one-sided love, he was okay with just enjoying what he had now.

The soft snore interrupted his thoughts. He glanced down to see Kyuhyun’s eyes closed and his mouth slightly ajar as he had fallen asleep. He figured that cry would wear out the angel.

He flipped the television off and carefully, picked up the angel, trying not to wake him as he carried him towards his bedroom. Yesung decided that since the angel was sleeping now, he’d try to find some way of trying to get in contact with Leeteuk, for Kyuhyun’s sake and sanity. He laid Kyuhyun down on the bed and was about to cover the angel with a blanket until he saw something silver sticking out from the inside of the robe. It was his angelic dagger.

Carefully, he retrieved it without causing the angel to stir and slid it under the pillow beside Kyuhyun’s head. He left the tip of the handle sticking out so he wouldn’t panic, thinking the dagger was gone once he awoke. He pulled the blanket up onto the angel and was about to turn back to leave until a hand grabbed his wrist.

Yesung turned back to see Kyuhyun’s eyes barely opened as he asked, shyly, “Will you… stay with me? Please?”

That request dispersed any ideas of trying to get in contact with Leeteuk, because Yesung found himself unable to refuse the angel’s request. Not when there was a warm hand around his wrist, and those two eyes pleading. He smiled softly and nodded, cupping Kyuhyun’s hand that was around his wrist with his free hand, rubbing his knuckles with his thumb.

“Okay.”

Kyuhyun’s grip relinquished, releasing his wrist, and he made his way around to the other side of the bed before pulling back the blanket and lying down. He turned unto his side and was met with Kyuhyun turning over onto his side as well, so they were face to face. He was surprised when Kyuhyun reached out, hesitantly, and grasped hold of his hand. He was also confused by it; they weren’t in the Underworld anymore, so the angel didn’t have to worry about any demons sneaking in.

Then it dawned on him that maybe Kyuhyun was afraid of the vampires. They were back in the city, maybe he was afraid that they would find him and take him. But all those thoughts disappeared when Kyuhyun spoke up, his gaze on their hands.

“I just… don’t want to be alone right now,” he said, squeezing Yesung’s hand, and Yesung thought he saw a small redness tint on the angel’s cheeks.

The demon squeezed Kyuhyun’s hand back, in reassurance, “I’m not going anywhere. Go onto sleep.”

Kyuhyun closed his eyes and tried to nod with his head resting against the pillow, a yawn tugging at his lips, then an amused smile claimed his lips. He opened his eyes to glance at Yesung, “Don’t molest my philtrum while I’m asleep, okay?”

The atmosphere lightened up between them as Yesung chuckled, “I promise I won’t.”

The angel closed his eyes and within seconds, a quiet snoring filled the room around them. Yesung just laid there and admired the angelic being lying in front of him. He really wanted to reach out and caress the pale skin of Kyuhyun’s cheek. He still remembered what the angel’s skin felt like from before when he touched it for the first time after it was healed from Chungho’s bite. He marveled in how soft the angel’s skin was, how pale, and how it looked almost like porcelain. The soft glow of his being showed so bright against the dark blanket and the black robe of Heechul’s.

Yesung loved the way he shined so brightly and pure despite the insecurities of the angel and the things he’d gone through; he knew that the angel’s spirit wasn’t completely broken. Maybe it was damaged and cracked but he knew that once Leeteuk answered or once his wings grew back, that even those places would be patched back together. He would love to see the angel shine at his brightest but it also saddened him that it wouldn’t be because of him. There was nothing he could do that would patch the damage done to the angel.

He shook his head, this angel wasn’t his anyway, didn’t feel the same, and probably never would. Leeteuk would snatch him away from Yesung even if he did feel the same. Instead of falling asleep, Yesung just stared at the angel and thought about several millions of things.

 

A/N: I added a backstory of the story that Yesung was telling about Hankyung and Heechul if any of you would like to read it. :D

http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/480509/believe-hanchul