First Steps

The Pick-Up Artists

The guy started laughing. „What?!

 

Donghae cleared his throat and looked up again. „I saw your interactions with women! They are calculated! Every single action of yours! I want you to teach me!“

 

The guy's face became all stern again and he looked thoughtful at Donghae.

 

„So you just caught me...“, he mumbled. „Well...this means you are really interested in my art.“

 

Art? Donghae had never thought of seducing women as a kind of art.

 

„Okay, I'm gonna teach you how to be a Pick-Up Artist. But be aware of the fact that this will cost you a lot.“ The guy took out his business card and handed it to Donghae who frowned at it.

 

Pick-Up-Artist...He called himself like this?

 

The business card revealed the guy's name as Ok Taecyeon. „What – moment! You want money for it?“

 

„Of course.“, Taecyeon said, „I'm not a part of social services, you know? If you're interested just call me tomorrow.“

 

 

Donghae sat in his room while blinking at Taecyeon's business card the next day. Kyuhyun entered the room without knocking.

 

„Oh...hyung – I didn't know you were here.“, he didn't even apologize for intruding Donghae's room. After saying that he simply went over to one of the cupboards and took out one of Donghae's books. „I'm gonna take this for today.“

 

Donghae glared at Kyuhyun who didn't turn around another time. He took his phone and tiped in Taecyeon's number.

 

„I'm gonna change everything now.“

 

 

Just a few hours later Taecyeon and Donghae met in front of a gym. Taecyeon was late. Donghae waited about 20 minutes until Taecyeon showed up, grinning happily in front of the nerd.

 

„So...you know what a Pick-Up-Artist is?“, Taecyeon asked Donghae.

 

„Somebody who gets a lot of girls?“, Donghae answered with another question.

 

„Sure...and you know what a guy like that needs? Good looks. We have to work on your outer appearance before we can let you go chasing women. You can't walk around like that anymore...but first we have to define your body. Go inside there and work out.“, Taecyeon told Donghae and pointed at the entrance of the gym.

 

„I do what?“, Donghae asked.

 

„Go-inside-and-work-out!“, Taecyeon repeated himself.

 

„But I don't have the money to do so!“, Donghae said perplexed and looked desperately at Taecyeon who frowned back at him and shook his head.

 

„Then you better go and get yourself a job. Don't forget, you have to pay me as well.“, the Pick-Up-Artist reminded him and crossed his arms.

 

„How much do I owe you?“

 

„150.000 Won per hour.“

 

...150.000 Won?!“ Where the hell should Donghae get the money from – per hour!!

 

„Well. Today is just 150.000 Won. We'll meet again in one month. You'll go inside the gym now and start to work out today. 3-4 times a week. And let them give you a diet schedule for abs.“

 

Donghae was silently thinking about Taecyeon's words „I have to wait one month until we meet again?“

 

„Of course! We can't start like this! You must have at least a bit to offer!.“

 

Okay...he was right. With a short sigh Donghae thought about how to get a job in the next days.

 

Taecyeon just decided that his work was done and patted Donghae's shoulders.

 

„There's your homework. Now – the 150.000 Won please.“

 

Donghae looked up at him and then his mouth dropped open. „You're going now? I mean...what's with that...we were talking just for about 5 minutes? „

 

„Every hour which starts counts.“, Taecyeon said convinced.

 

„...that's criminal!“, Donghae complained.

 

„Well, if you don't want my help...“

 

„No, no!“

 

With a short sigh Donghae grabbed his purse and took out a few Won. „I just have 50.000 with me...“, he said.

 

„It's okay, give me the rest the next time we meet.“

 

Taecyeon just grabbed the money, turned around and left.

 

„Stupid loser.“, he mumbled while counting the money.

 

 

After one month of work-out Donghae couldn't see any signs of abs on his stomach...but he gained a lot of weight and became a bit more muscular.

 

„Your body's getting better and better.“, Donghae's fitness trainer said and patted his shoulder.

 

„Thank you...“, Donghae said but remained in resentment.

 

Until now he wasn't able to find a job. It seemed like employers were only looking for attractive employees. Therefore he had to ask Kyuhyun for money. Even worse for him, he had just gained a few small achievements.

 

Donghae left the gym disappointed when suddenly his phone started ringing.

 

„Yoboseyo?“, he answered it and a familiar voice greeted him.

 

„Yah! I heard you improved! Seems like today we're actually starting, huh?“, Taecyeon told him motivatedly.

 

The frustration which lasted on Donghae's mood was falling off immediately.

 

„Really?!“, he asked and beamed full of joy.

 

„Of course. Let's meet again.“

 

 

After leaving Donghae behind the last time, Taecyeon hadn't planned to meet him ever again...but somehow he felt bad about it and decided to call Donghae after a while.

 

They met at a coffee shop where Donghae's first lesson would start.

 

„Today I'm gonna teach you some basics of the Pick-Up-Artistry.“, Taecyeon said and folded his hands.“At the moment you're an AFC...no...even a bAFC. You'll go through Beginner's Hell until you'll be able to pick up any girl you like during the Game.“

 

Donghae just stared at Taecyeon. „Sorry...what did you just say?“ All those new expressions didn't tell him anything.

 

Taecyeon cleared his throat and explained them to his new student.

 

bAFC means 'below Average Frustrated Chump'.“

 

Well...that hurt.

 

„And Beginner's Hell are the first 6 months of your eduction in which you have to become perfectly calibrated. The Game is the Pick-up itself.“

 

„What does...calibrated mean?“

 

„It means learning about body language and voice tonality.“

 

Donghae looked at the cup of tea in front of him while he was thinking about all of this.

 

„But first of all we have to change your looks...so you can meet your 2nd teacher. She'll teach you about calibration.“

 

She?

 

Donghae wasn't just simply confused. The fact that he would get a 2nd teacher – who actually would be a real woman – really kicked him out of his boots.

 

 

They had Donghae's hair done, bought some contact lenses and a suit which was extremely expensive.

Taecyeon paid for everything.

 

„You have to pay it back afterwards!“, Taecyeon reminded Donghae whenever he used his credit card.

 

Donghae always just nodded silently. He was still thinking about the female teacher and didn't even notice when Taecyeon observed him impressed.

 

This is real art...turning a guy looking like an absolute loser into this state really need skills.“, Taecyeon complimented himself and even patted his own shoulder.

 

„Like this I can finally introduce you to her.“ With this sentence Taecyeon got Donghae out of his thoughts again.

 

„Can you tell me some more about...her?“, Donghae demanded shyly.

 

„I don't need to.“, Taecyeon simply answered. „The only thing you have to know is that she is a HB8, don't classify her as something more or less.“

 

„What does HB8 mean?“

 

Taecyeon looked at Donghae as if he had asked him what a car was.

 

„HB8 stands for a woman's value. Pick-Up Artists classify women. HB means Hot Babe and the number behind it is her level. 1 is the lowest, 10 the highest...HB10s are rare, they are real dream girls, I've never seen one on my own...there are also PUAs who claim there are no HB10s existing.“

 

„So, if she is an 8, she must be quite awesome...“, Donghae figured out and became nervous.

 

„Yes, she is...don't underestimate but also don't overestimate her.“, Taecyeon told him just like his words were full of wisdom. To be honest his words were causing Donghae even more headache. He didn't have any idea what he had to expect.

 

„Can I at least know her name?“, Donghae asked insecurely.

 

„Ah...sure.“, Taecyeon said with a smile on his lips, „Her name is GaIn.“