Chapter 2:

Breathless

“Cool,” he said pushing away from the counter, “I’ll be here through Sunday. We should hang out.”

“Okay,” I said feeling slightly stunned.

“Great. So I guess I’ll see you around,” he said smiling, “Oh, and by the way, you dropped your toothbrush.” Then he strolled out, as if using the girl’s restroom was something he normally did.

I stood watching the door swing back and forth, even though he was gone. Then, I let out a breath in surprise, realizing that I had been holding it. Swearing at my stupidity, I reached down and grabbed my toothbrush before chucking it into the garbage.

“Is he still in here?” The woman called from the stall. Nodding my head in response, I didn’t recognize the fact that she couldn’t see me.

I was stumped, dazed, and completely puzzled. Dongwoo had left me feeling breathless.

**********

The nice thing about Silver River was that it wasn’t a normal campground: there was a pool, an arcade, a mini golf course, a huge playground, and volleyball courts.

I had promised my younger sister Da Som that we would go mini golfing sometime during the week. So, after our family had finished a lunch of hotdogs roasted over the campfire, we got on our bikes and headed down to the lodge.

When we arrived, Da Som dropped her helmet and skipped over to the golf course almost tripping on the crack in the sidewalk that had been there since I was her age.

“Wait right there,” I yelled to Da Som as I put down my kickstand, “I’m going to pay and get the equipment.”

“I want a pink ball,” she yelled back at me as I opened the door to the lodge.

“Only if it doesn’t cost extra,” I yelled, turning around to look at her. When she nodded her head okay, I spun around, stepped inside, and crashed right into someone who was leaving.

“Ah cold!” Dongwoo shouted as the slushy he had bought spilt down his bare chest.

“Oh crap, I’m really sorry,” I said looking down at the mess I’d cause. Besides being the campgrounds headquarters, the lodge was a restaurant, which sold a wide variety of fruity slushy’s during the summer.

“It’s fine,” he grunted wiping the blue slush off his chest and swim trunks. Then he looked up at me. “Oh hey Dae Rin,” he said his frown replaced with a smile.

“Do you want me to get you some napkins?” I asked feeling really bad.

“Nah, don’t worry about it. It will wash right off when I jump back in the pool.” He tossed the empty cup into the trash.

“Well, can I buy you another one, I feel awful,” I told him pulling out my wallet.

“No,” Dongwoo said laughing and pushing my money away, “But if you feel that bad and want to make it up to me, you can always hang out with me tonight.” He flashed me a big smile.

“What?” I asked surprised.

“I’m at lot 243. C’ya tonight,” Dongwoo said giving me a hug and getting my clothes all wet. The door dinged as he left.

I stood in a puddle of water and blue slush not knowing what to do. Dongwoo was like a whirlwind that swooped in with grace and charm, rattled everything up, and then left just as soon as he arrived. The lodge door dinged again.

“Dae Rin what’s taking you so-” my sister stopped at the sight of me. “Why are you all wet?” she asked.

I looked down at my wet clothes, noticing it for the first time. “It’s nothing,” I told her staring off into space.

“Are you okay?” she asked me.

“Yeah of course,” I said shaking my head to clear the clouds, “Why do you ask?”

“I don’t know,” Da Som responded, “You just seem a little out of breath.”

***********

I wiped my sweaty palms on the back of my jeans, nervously. Lot 243 was a huge cabin at the end of a long street of expensive campers. Before I chickened out, I raised my fist and knocked on the door.