Chapter 4:

Breathless

“This is going to be laugh until I have a six pack funny!” she said skipping in circles around her brother, “I knew I liked Dae Rin when you introduced her.”

“Yes!” Himchan said pumping his fist in the air, “I got the video camera working.”

Dongwoo groaned and I giggled like a little girl. “It’s not funny,” he told me.

“Oh yes it is,” I said as we stepped onto the grass by the pond, “If it were me, you know you’d be laughing. Besides, it will make a good YouTube video.”

Dongwoo grabbed me from the side and pulled me close to him. “You!” he said starting to tickle me, “are going be sorry when I’m done.”

“Actually,” Victoria said starting to snicker, “It’s Himchan’s turn to go next, not Dae Rin’s.”

Dongwoo grumbled as he kicked off his shoes and slid out of his shirt. “Guard this,” he said handing me his towel. The only thing I could do was nod my head yes as I stared at his abs. Dongwoo shook out his arms, and slowly approached the water.

“Do it, do it, do it!” Daehyun and Himchan chanted when he paused at the edge of the pond.

Dongwoo took a deep breath and then stepped in. “Eww everything is all slippery,” he complained.

“Keep going,” Victoria told him.

“Yeah, yeah,” Dongwoo said as he walked over to the slide. The water was up to his knees when he reached it, so he quickly climbed the steps to get out of the cold water. When he reached the top, Dongwoo stopped and looked back over his shoulder at me. I smiled and gave him a thumbs up.

“Come on!” Victoria shouted. After one more deep breath, he pushed off the slide and plunged into the nasty water.

“Yeah!” Himchan yelled as his cousin hit the pond.

“Let’s go!” Victoria yelled taking her brother’s clothes and running to the road. Daehyun smiled at me before grabbing the towel out of my hands.

“Hey!” I shouted, but they were already gone.

Pond water splashed loudly as Dongwoo stomped up to the bank. He picked a leaf out of his hair before heading over to me.

“What happened to watching my towel?” he asked me.

“I tried, I really did,” I told him trying not to laugh. He looked like a mess, dripping wet and covered in pond slime.

“Well,” Dongwoo said grinning at me mischievously, “didn’t I promise that you’d be sorry when I was done?” We stared at each other for a moment and I shrieked in surprise when he leapt at me.

“Ahhh!” I screamed as Dongwoo chased me through the grass. Looking over my shoulder, I could tell I wasn’t going to last long. Running was not my strong suit, and Dongwoo was fast.

“Gotcha,” Dongwoo said as he pulled me down. We rolled through the grass and I laughed as he tickled me. When he finally let me catch my breath, I wiped the tears away and smiled at him.

“You smell like pond water,” I told him wrinkling my nose.

“If you want,” Dongwoo said brushing the hair out of my face, “you can too.” And then he leaned down and kissed me.

For a moment I was so shocked that I didn’t respond, but then my heart leapt making my lips move. I wrapped my arm around Dongwoo and wove my fingers into his wet hair. We stayed in the grass and kissed as fireflies buzzed around us. It was perfect. When he pulled away, I took a gulp of air. Dongwoo smiled down at me, and I stared back up at him, completely breathless.

“Hey,” he whispered to me, “guess what?”

“What?” I asked looking into his dark brown eyes.

“I got a present back at the cabin for you.”

“Really?” I asked as butterflies swooped through my stomach, “What is it?”

“A tooth brush.” He grinned before pulling me back into another breathless kiss.