Chapter 3:

Breathless

A boy with curly blond hair opened it. Music and laughter flooded out into the night.

“Hey cutie,” he said smiling at me, “What do I owe the pleasure?”

“Dae Rin!” Dongwoo shouted excitedly pushing past the blond kid. “I’m so glad you came.” He gave me a quick hug, which once again caught me off guard, before ushering me into the cabin and shutting the door.

“Dae Rin this is my cousin Taemin, Taemin this is my friend Dae Rin. I just met her today,” Dongwoo said introducing me. I shook Taemin’s hand and laughed at the fact that Dongwoo had forgotten to mention exactly where we had met.

“Well,” Taemin said wiggling his eyebrows at me, “I think camping just got a whole lot better.”

“Taemin!” Dongwoo said elbowing his cousin in the chest.

I just laughed. “You call this camping?” Staying in an air-conditioned cabin was not my definition of a true camper.

“Oh, oh!” Taemin said excitedly, ignoring my question, “I have a really good joke! Why don’t people like to go camping?” Dongwoo and I shrugged our shoulders. “Because it’s in tents. Get it? In tents, intense.”

“That was just about the dumbest joke I’ve ever heard,” Dongwoo said shaking his head.

“I thought it was funny,” I told Taemin laughing, which made him smile at me before sticking his tongue out at Dongwoo.

“What’s going on out there?” I heard someone shout.

“Hold on!” Taemin yelled back before turning to his cousin, “Your chick’s got a good sense of humour.” Then, he disappeared into another room.

Dongwoo rolled his eyes before putting his hand on the small of my back and leading me into a kitchen. There was a group of three kids sitting at the table, and Taemin was searching through the fridge for a drink. Soda cans and potato chip bags were littered everywhere.

“Hey guys this is my friend Dae Rin,” Dongwoo said as we walked up to the table. “Dae Rin, this is some of my family.”

“Hi Dae Rin," a tall dark haired girl said. She looked very familiar. “I’m Victoria, Dongwoo’s twin sister. Older twin sister.”

“She always has to add the older part,” Dongwoo complained.

“And these two crazies are my brothers,” Taemin said pointing to the two remaining guys. “Daehyun and Himchan.” Both guys nodded at me.

“Hey,” I said back to everyone.

“So,” Victoria said looking at me, “Do you like truth or dare?”

We sat at the table for the next few hours playing the childish, yet very entertaining game, occasionally venturing outside when someone had to do a dare. At first I felt uncomfortable because I didn’t know anyone, but as the night went on I opened up; all of Dongwoo’s family members were really cool.

However, it was Dongwoo himself who I found the most entertaining. He had a stupid way of making me laugh no matter what he said. Every time our knees touched, it sent an electric jolt through my body.

“Truth or dare?” Taemin asked Dongwoo when it was his turn yet again.

 “He’s not going to pick it,” Daehyun said looking at his cousin straight in the face. “He’s a big baby.” Everyone was allowed two chickens to back out of any crazy dares; Dongwoo had already used both of his.

Dongwoo leaned over the table and stared right at Daehyun, “Dare.”

Victoria squealed and clapped her hands. “I have such a great idea.” She looked at me and then at Dongwoo. I knew what she was going to say, but I had an even greater idea.

Before there was a pool at Silver River, everyone use to go swimming in a pound that was not too far from the bathrooms. After the pool was built people stopped swimming there, and it turned green and slimy. There was a slide on the bank that people use to go down, and for some reason it had never been take out.

 “Wait,” I said looking around the table, “I know the perfect dare.”

*********

“I so hate you right now,” Dongwoo told me as we headed down towards the pond. It was dark out and we had flashlights with us to light the way. Dongwoo was dressed in swim trunks and his sister was practically singing.