Chapter 1:

Breathless

I pulled a sweatshirt over my head before quietly un-zippering the tent and stepping out into the morning. It was still a bit chilly from night time and goose bumps formed on my bare legs, but the sunlight warmed my face.

The campfire had burnt down to a few embers, and the chairs around it were soaked with morning dew.

Opening the big tub on top of the picnic bench, I grabbed my toiletries and headed down to the bathrooms. I was wearing flip-flops, so I walked slowly not wanting to get dirty feet from the gravel road.

The bathrooms always had an awful sewage smell, so I took a deep breath of fresh air before going in.

As I brushed my teeth, I made sure there was at least a good foot distance between the counter and myself; the campground bathrooms were horrific:

I would never, ever use the toilets; they were that gross. Summers of staying at the campground had taught me to hold it in, because it was a ten-minute walk down to the lodge. There I could use the small restroom that was cleaned regularly.

The countertops were an ugly bright orange, and always damp no matter how hot it got outside. Once a bright white, the sinks had faded to a dull yellow and were always littered with bugs, clumps of hair, and toothpaste. 

Never clean, the nasty four by four foot shower stalls were another problem. The locks had rusted off years before, so you always had to hold the door shut while trying to shampoo your hair. And, freezing cold was the only water temperature that came out no matter how far the handle was pulled towards hot.

Careful not to touch the counter, something I wouldn’t do with a ten-foot pole, I spit my toothpaste into the sink. When I looked back up, I dropped my toothbrush in surprise. A tall boy, who looked to be the age of seventeen, walked out of the first bathroom stall still yawning away his morning sleepiness.

“You know this is a girl’s bathroom, right?” I asked him.

He looked up at the sound of my voice and rubbed his eyes to make sure I was really standing there. “Well,” he said looking around the room when he realized that I was indeed there, “I was wondering why there weren’t any urinals.” Then he walked over to the sink next to mine, and the faucet. My mouth hung open in surprise.

A woman stepped out of the shower stall in only a small towel, squeaked when she saw him, and ran back in. “What the heck are you doing in here?” she shrieked, “Get out!”

He ignored the woman’s demands and finished washing his hands before turning to me. “So, what’s your name?” he asked.

I continued to stare.

“Um?” he said sticking out his hand to shake, “My name’s Dongwoo.” He slowly dropped his hand when I didn’t respond.

Dongwoo had dark black hair that had not seen a brush this morning, because it stuck up in every direction. He was a good foot or two taller than me, which wasn’t hard because I was so short. His too tight t-shirt revealed his toned muscles, which were not too big and not too small.

The thing that made me stare at him the most, besides that fact that he was in boxers and that he was standing in a girl’s bathroom, were his eyes. They were chocolate brown, and sparkled like dew on grass in the morning.

“This is the part where you tell me your name,” he said.

“Oh,” I responded, finally snapping out of my daze, “Dae Rin, my name is Dae Rin.”

“Dae Rin,” Dongwoo said smiling as he tested how my name sounded on his tongue. “I like it.”

“Ah thanks,” I said not knowing how to respond to his comment, “I like yours too?” It came out sounding more like a question. It wasn’t like me to get tongue-tied, I was normally a very witty person, but this boy caught me off guard.

I expected Dongwoo to leave after his hands were clean, considering that if I had been in his position I would have run out mortified, but he leaned against the counter and continued to talk to me. “So are you staying here for the weekend?” he asked.

“Yeah, until next Wednesday. My family always stays up here for a full week during the summer,” I told him, not really sure why I had. This guy was weird and I had just made a fool out of myself. Maybe I felt okay because he had too?