Sapphire Camp

Sunset Wishes

A series of obnoxious and irritating sounds blared all across the camp the next morning. I instantly shot my head up upon hearing the wake-up alarm. 7AM? Are they serious? I asked myself when I checked the time on my wrist watch. My head felt heavy and my body felt stiff. I leaned my head on the study desk that night and fell asleep there.

“I knew that wouldn’t wake you up…” I muttered to myself when I looked back to my bed and found Kangin still fast asleep.

 

“ALL CAMPERS PROCEED TO THE OPEN AREA NEAR THE ADMIN OFFICE FOR BRIEFING AND FOR THE OFFICIAL START OF CAMP” came an announcement over the speakers after the wake-up call “BE HERE BY 8:00AM. LATE COMERS WOULD BE ASSIGNED TO KITCHEN DUTY TODAY!”

“That didn’t sound fair” I shook my head and thought about my two-week sentence in kitchen duty.

 

I took a quick shower and changed into one of my casual clothes because I was assigned to deliver the opening speech for camp. At the back of my mind, I wanted to go straight to the assembly area and leave Kangin there.

 

I knew all too well that it would take him a few more hours of sleep before he could really wake up because of my ointment. He deserved a punishment because he abandoned me yesterday. But of course… I couldn’t. No matter how much I wanted to get back on him, I really couldn’t do it.

“Kangin!” I poked his back and shook him a little.

He didn’t even move.

“KANGIN!!” I shouted in his ears and shook him harder.

Still no response. He even snored.

 

I knew how to wake him up… but I didn’t do it. So I tried different methods that didn’t include my bed being destroyed or dirty.

“KANGIN WAKE UP! WAKE UP! WAKE UP!” I shouted as I jumped up and down on the bed, putting all my weight on it.

And then I pulled off the blankets that covered him. He shivered a bit because it was cold that morning but he didn’t show any sign of waking up. He must’ve been tired yesterday because he always slept heavy when he was tired or quite hyper the night before.

 

At last I thought about my all-time favorite method in waking up someone. I called it the “Water Screen”. I took a bottle of mineral water from my bag, gently pulled the pillows under Kangin’s head, and then placed them somewhere far enough. I took a sip of water from the bottle and didn’t swallow it. I’m gonna get into so much trouble after this, I thought to myself, here goes… and I spitted out the water in his face.

“WHAT THE—“ he instantly opened his eyes and sat up. He wiped his wet face looking angry and curious at the same time. He looked around and then got surprised when he saw me there.

“Good morning?” I worriedly said as I smiled.

“WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE!?” he looked agitated.

“This is my cabin too…” I said “and technically that’s my bed.”

“What did you say!?” he stood up which made me take a step back.

“Look!” I tossed him my cabin key along with the card they gave.

He read the card with my name and cabin number and frowned.

 

I hurried off to the assembly area when Kangin finally decided to take a shower and prepare for the briefing. Almost all of the campers were there already and majority of them still walked like zombies and looked sleepy. Coach Siwon ordered everyone to take a seat and then he called me to the podium for the opening speech.

 

“Good morning campers and fellow seniors of Sapphire Academy!” I actively greeted but I didn’t anticipate an active response because everyone looked groggy

“we all know why we’re here, right? Right?” I still hoped to get a response but I just got sleepy stares

“yeah that’s the spirit. Anyways, we’ll be staying here for a month prior to our school’s competitions. Sports teams will be able to train here efficiently and relax at the same time. To wake up your senses, would it help if I spill that today’s breakfast would be spicy noodles, omelets, bacons and hot chocolates?” there was an excited buzz among the crowd

”So let’s all work hard for our academy and have fun here at Sapphire Camp!!!” and then they all clapped… not because of my speech but because of the breakfast.

 

I spent the whole day in a cabin that had a wide space and an impromptu stage. My mentor, Mr. Heenim loaded me with pieces to memorize after my shift at the kitchen duty. I went back to the cabin to learn the other articles some more when the door opened and Kangin entered . . . he was covered in bruises.