Sunset Kisses

Sunset Wishes

My stomach churned and I felt chills across my spine. It was an unexplainable feeling and I was drowning with questions and mixed emotions. But I set it all aside. Those few seconds felt like hours for me… and when Kangin slowly pulled away, I found myself wrapping my arms around the back of his neck and pulling him back for more sunset kisses.

 

If I could only get more wishes, I would wish that this moment wouldn’t end. I wanted to preserve the way he my hair, the way he held me like he would never let go, and the way he kissed me like it would be the last time. That moment felt timeless. We were only pulled back into reality when it suddenly drizzled. Kissing under the rain would be much better for me because I really loved the rain, but then it started to get heavier.

“Come on, let’s find some shade: Kangin said as he helped me stand up. I simply smiled at the ground and nodded.

 

We found sufficient shade from the rain under the thick trees of the camp. All that time, he never let go of my hand… and the butterflies never left my stomach.

“Is that—“ I stopped dead in my tracks and words.

“Teukie what is it?” Kangin worriedly asked.

I stayed still and pointed towards the small gap between the thick leaves… towards a wet sapphire blue flag with the camp logo.

“THE FLAG!!!” Kangin shouted. He ran towards it and dragged me.

 

We both reached the tree that held the flag everyone’s been searching for. Why in the world would they put it in the middle of these thick leaves? It was sheer luck that I was looking up that I spotted it. When we walked here earlier to get to the lakeside, none of us noticed the presence of the flag there. Now all that was left between us and glory is a thick old tree,,, as tall as my house.

“It didn’t look this tall back there…” Kangin said as we looked up “I could hold on to that branch there—“

“What? You’re not serious about climbing up that tree, right?”

“How else could we get that flag down?”

“Maybe we need to throw something to shake it off…”

“Good point… but if it doesn’t work, I’ll climb up. We better hurry before the others go this way and beat us to it…”

 

I searched around the area for a big rock to throw. When I found a few, I gave them to Kangin. He aimed the first one and then threw the heavy rock like it was just a pebble. It missed. I gave him another one and he threw. It hit the flag. We waited for it to fall down but it didn’t. After a few more throws, we gave up. They must’ve roped the flag around the tree to keep it from being blown away by strong wind. There was no other choice but to climb the huge tree.

“Maybe I should do it…” I said.

“What? Are you serious?”

“I mean, I’m lighter than you. Those branches look weak…”

“Those branches held coach Siwon. I’m sure it can carry me.”

“That’s my point. Coach Siwon already climbed up and down from there… look how frail the branches look…”

“It could carry the number one handsome guy here at camp, I assure you.” He patted my cheeks and then started to climb the tree.

 

Kangin carefully gripped on a nearest branch then hauled himself up. Every step he took, I became more worried. The heavy rain slowly turned into drizzles again but it didn’t calm me down. Half-way up to the flag, Kangin gripped a weak branch at it instantly broke because of his weight. I panicked even if he managed to grip another branch in time.

“Kangin just go down!” I shouted “let’s think of another way!”

“I’m almost there, Teukie!” he shouted back “I’ll throw the flag down!”

He became more cautious after that. Kangin double checked the branches first before putting his weight there… and eventually he reached the top. He smiled down at me and waved before he cut the ropes around the flag. I was both worried and proud for him the moment he waved the Sapphire Camp flag like a hero. He dropped the flag down to me and I reached my arms forward to catch it.

“Now go down there before you break your neck!” I shouted at him.

 

Kangin nodded and carefully stepped down branch after branch. When he reached half of the tree, the branch he was stepping on suddenly broke… and this time he wasn’t able to grab another one in time. Out of sheer panic, I held out my arms again like I did when I caught the flag… now with every intention of saving Kangin no matter what.