Guardian Angel

Sunset Wishes

I uncomfortably watched as he tried to hold on to every branch he could grab… but as he fell down, he only hit against them which caused wounds and deep scratches. After nearly a blink of an eye, the next thing I saw was his body crashing against me… and then everything went black.

 

I couldn’t tell if it was a few minutes later or just mere seconds, but I opened my eyes and saw the thick leaves of the trees that surrounded us. My breathing suddenly felt heavy and that was when I instantly realized that Kangin was lying on top of me. With all the strength left in me, I gently pushed him aside. We were covered in mud and blood from our wounds and my heart seemed to have stopped beating when I saw that Kangin was unconscious. My first instinct was to check his pulse.

“Thank God…” I muttered when I found a pulse.

I shook him as I called out his name. No response.

“Kangin!” I shouted “Kangin wake up! HEY! WAKE UP! WE WON! YOU GOT THE FLAG… NOW GET UP!”

Without realizing it, tears rolled down my cheeks. I did my best to hold them back. He’s alive, I told myself, that’s what’s important. He’s going to be okay. He’s just fooling around…he’s making fun of me again…

 

No matter how hard I convinced myself that Kangin was alright, I couldn’t cover up the fact that he fell from a height of more than 20 feet above the ground. And I couldn’t accept my own self assurances because he was covered with deep wounds all over his body. The only thing stopping me from completely breaking down was the sight of his shallow breathing. I pressed my ear against his chest to hear his heartbeat… and to calm down my own.

“Kangin please wake up…” I pleaded after hearing the soft thuds of his heartbeat.

A part of me wanted to run and get help. But a bigger part didn’t want to leave Kangin alone in the middle of the woods, all wet and muddy and covered in wounds.

“Calm down Leeteuk!” I slapped myself “we’ll be okay… he’ll be safe…”

Just then I instantly remembered that on our way to the lakeside earlier, we passed by Coach Siwon’s car. I checked my pockets and yelled with joy when I pulled out a set of keys. Coach Siwon gave me a spare of all his keys because I was assigned to so many things, he found it bothersome if I always go to him and borrow his keys.

 

My problems weren’t solved yet. I may have the key to Coach Siwon’s car… but I couldn’t take Kangin there unless he wakes up. I shook him again and again as I shouted his name but he still didn’t move.

“Kangin I couldn’t carry you all the way there…” I helplessly said “please wake up… please just open your eyes and look at me…”

I let myself fall on him as I sobbed. I gently slapped his face in hopes of getting back his consciousness. How could things turn out like this? Why couldn’t it all be just rainbows and cookies? I embraced him as I continued to slap his cheeks. My hand found its way to his lips and it made me stop for a while. Just a few minutes ago these lips were pressed against mine, I thought to myself as my fingers followed the curves of his soft lips. And then I remembered something.

“If this doesn’t wake you up, I don’t know what else would!” I shouted at the unconscious Kangin. I brushed up his wet hair and leaned forward to kiss his forehead. There was a slight change in his breathing… and it pulled my hopes up! I kissed again and again until he stirred. I remained optimistic and eager as I pulled away. I leaned in again but this time towards his lips. I affectionately kissed him and didn’t pull back until I heard a soft moan from him.

“Teukie?” his weak voice came as a sweet melody to my ears.

“No, this is your Prince Charming to the rescue…” I said “who do you think you are? Sleeping Beauty?”

Kangin chuckled as he opened his eyes then he frowned “my back…”

When my worries faded, I suddenly became aware of the pain that my own body took. There were sharp pains from both of my arms and my upper body and legs. But I ignored them all and focused on Kangin once again. I helped him stand up and told him about the car.

“I have to get you to the hospital…” I said as I struggled to help him walk and at the same time ignore my own wounds “there’s one near just a few minutes’ drive…”

“Can’t we just go to the camp clinic?” Kangin weakly asked.

“All the camp staff left yesterday… only Coach Siwon stayed... and he can’t treat you…”

 

We reached the car and I used the spare keys to open it. We both limped towards the seats. I looked at Kangin and noticed that he had a deep cut on his head. I fastened his seatbelt then hurried off to the driver's seat. He would pass out again any minute. I panicked more because too much blood was oozing from the wound.

“Just stay awake, okay? I’ll keep you safe, I promise…” I held his hand.

I drove the car out of the camp… and then the pain in my arms flooded back. I saw the wet road, bright headlights, Kangin’s pained and worried expression… and then everything went black again.