Cabin Number 17

Sunset Wishes

“SUNGMIN!” I was snapped back into reality again.

“YOU’RE FLOODING THE KITCHEN!” He shouted again and pointed to the ground where a puddle of water was starting to grow bigger.

I instantly hurried off to find a mop before the old ladies could find out what happened. I must’ve been caught up in my flashbacks that I forgot to turn off the faucet. Sungmin helped me dry up the place.

“What are you doing here?” I asked when we were done “finally decided to sign up for camp?”

“Oh no,” he replied “I came to find Donghae.”

“Why?”

“He borrowed Kyuhyun’s tablet last week and forgot to return it…”

“Let me guess, Kyuhyun’s having a hard time at home without his precious tablet…”

“Exactly,” Sungmin said with a worried expression “he kept on having tantrums about his high score there and Donghae might lose the tablet. So I guess I better be going… this is a huge camp.”

“You can just ask around where his cabin is,” I replied “and how many times do I have to tell you not to call me ‘Teukie’?”

“What’s wrong with that?” Sungmin laughed as he walked towards the door “it’s your nickname right?”

“It was my nickname.” I pointed out “back when we were like 10.”

“I bet Kyuhyun’s tablet that you won’t complain when Kangin calls you Teukie again!” and with that he ran “bye Teukieeeee!”

 

Ah Sungmin. There were times when I would really love to throw a table tennis ball in his mouth again. Yes, he was the kid who yawned that time and since then, I had to apologize again and again to his parents. His dad was the owner of a huge company and I didn’t want any trouble against that. We became close after that. I still spent more time with Kangin but occasionally Sungmin would join us during lunch time and in sports. When we entered high school, he became roommates with a game addict, Kyuhyun. They became inseparable and even though Sungmin was older than Kyuhyun, he would allow the other to bully him and order him around.

 

I tried to persuade them both to join camp because they were the only ones I can really talk to… but Kyuhyun enjoyed the adventures of the virtual world more. And Sungmin couldn’t leave Kyuhyun all alone for a month.

“Kyu aren’t you going to even think about it?” Sungmin asked him two weeks before camp started while we were in the canteen.

“I already thought about it,” Kyuhyun replied with his gaze focused on his tablet “and I really don’t want to go there because for sure there’s no wifi there and I can’t risk my high score being topped by someone else while I’m gone.”

“Sorry hyung,” Sungmin looked at me “I have to look after him.”

“It’s okay, I understand” I just said.

 

 

It took me about three hours to finish up the dishes and clean up the kitchen. They were very grateful that the coach sent me there to help because they could have more time in cooking better food and not get too tired. I walked around the camp for a while and breathed in fresh air. It was nearly sunset and I was surprised when I realized that my feet dragged me to the lakeside. I found a clean spot to sit on and stared at the glorious orange sky as the sun went down.

“I wish for a miracle to happen in this camp…” I said as I closed my eyes and felt the cool breeze against my face.

 

I stayed for a little while and then decided to go back to the cabin to rest. It has been a very eventful first day of camp for me and I craved for a warm shower and a soft bed.

“Cabin Number 17” I read out the sign on the door when I reached it.

I took out the key from my pocket and gently opened the door. I stopped dead on my tracks as I approached my bed.

Cabin Number 17” I read the sign again outside and I frowned.

I stayed on my spot at the door frame feeling all confused and dumbfounded because there on my bed, sleeping soundly and comfortably like a baby… was Kangin.