JiYong

Last first kiss

 

[2004]
 
“JiYeon, that’s going to be me one day on that stage”  He said as his brown eyes were glued to the TV screen.
 
It was a Thursday evening at his house as we both sat on his couch in his living room watching our favourite television show at the moment, M! Countdown. As JiYong’s eyes were glued to the television screen, watching all the different performances and acts come onto the stage and performing to an ocean of screaming fans, I watched JiYong and how his eyes just shimmered with glee as I knew that was what he wanted. He wanted to be a world known musician, creating music for the world to hear.
 
“In your dreams JiYong”  I teased as I stuck my tongue out at him.
 
“Where is the support JiYeon?”  He pouted.
 
“I’m joking, you’ll be a great musican”  I smiled.
 
“So you’ll come to all my performance?”  He asked excitedly.
 
“Front row all the way!”  I said with a smile.
 
“You better keep that promise woman!"  He glared "Knowing you're in the audience will at least put my heart to ease”
 
I chuckled “You better promise me you’ll remember me when you’re famous”
 
He leaned in and kissed me on the forehead.
 
“I promise” 
 
[2011]
 
*RINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG*
 
Stupid alarm.
 
I slammed my hand on top of my alarm and I let out a loud groan as I sprawled out across my bed. The sun was shining down radiantly through my window as I could hear the birds chirping cheerfully out the front of my window.
 
I hate Mondays.
 
I slowly made my way downstairs to turn on the mini television I had sitting on the kitchen bench as I went to prepare myself breakfast and of course, who should appear on the television but the ever so famous ‘Big Bang’.
 
I’m not being sarcastic, nor do I hate them. I like them and I have a few of their albums. I enjoy listening to their music and their songs are quite catchy.
 
‘Nahn nuhreul saranghae…I love you girl’
 
But it’s just one guy in particular that always triggers something in my heart. I never really know if its sadness or happiness that I feel whenever his face appears but I know that whenever he flashes that gorgeous, cheeky smile of his, I feel nothing but bliss.
 
Then, right on cue, the cameramen focus their attention on that same guy.
 
Kwon JiYong.
 
Not many people would believe me if I told them JiYong was my childhood sweetheart, but he was. We were always together. There wasn’t a day that went by where we wouldn’t see each other. But he wanted to be famous and who was I to stand in the way. I mean, I was the girlfriend and I have to be supportive… no matter how much you secretly hope it doesn’t go so well.
 
[Past]
 
The arcade was not a quiet place, definitely not a place where a couple would spend quality time together, but JiYong and I found it our place. It was a place where we could be 'Us'. Acting stupid and being competitive with one another. We didn't need to go to a place to be alone; we were alone here, in our own world.
 
“I’m going to kick your Kwon JiYong!”  I exclaimed as I started pressing down frantically at the buttons, concentrating so hard at the screen.
 
“That’s because your button mashing!”  He shouted back.
 
“If it’s the only way to beat you, I don’t care!”  I shouted back.
 
“One more move and your dead!”  I exclaimed.
 
And it was about to happen, the moment where I, Park JiYeon, will finally defeat Kwon JiY-
 
“I got accepted into YG entertainment”
 
I froze and stared blankly at the screen as I watched his character beat me.
 
I turned to face him with a blank expression.
 
“Wh-wha" I was unable to even form words.
 
“I got accepted JiYeon. I actually got accepted!”  He said with a big smile on his face.
 
I couldn’t bring myself to say anything, not even a single word could escape my lips. I just sat there dumbfounded as I could see the excitement on his face.
 
I know I should be happy that my boyfriend is one step closer to achieving his dream but … what’s going to happen to us? Is he still going to be able to go to school? Will he have to move to be closer to the company? Will we still have time to hang out?
 
I finally brought myself out of my state of shock by blinking a couple of times.
 
I managed to force out a smile and gave him a hug.
 
“I’m so proud of you JiYong!”  I cheered as I pulled away from the hug.
 
“Don’t worry! I promise nothing will change!”  He said as held out his pinky and I linked mine with his. 
 
“I know” I smiled.
 
[Present]
 
But I knew.
 
I knew things were going to change but I didn’t want to admit it to myself back then. I guess I was just hoping something would happen. He always had practice, he dropped out of high school and was home schooled at the company, he moved away so he could be closer. Our lines of communication became unreachable when our schedule’s clashed. Texting became our main use of communication seeing we could text each other at any time. But as time went on, our texts became shorter and shorter. Pages of texts became paragraphs. Paragraphs became sentences. Sentences became words and the next thing I knew … the words became nothing. It all ended.
 
None of us really ended the relationship. We both just … drifted away.
 
-
 
-
 
-
 
With a broken hairdryer and a missing text book, I am now officially running 15 minutes late for my lecture.
 
I hate morning lectures.
 
I locked my front door and quickly made my way out the front gate with papers falling everywhere. I would drive but my car is in for service after breaking down 4 times on me.
 
“Good morning JiYeon”
 
I looked over and saw Mrs. Kwon standing there with her mail in her hand.
 
Yup, JiYong’s parents still live next door, but I never see him come around to visit. Wouldn’t blame him, wouldn’t want the paparazzi following him to his hometown, let alone to his HOUSE! But she still treats me like I’m part of the family, giving me some food during Christmas time because she knows of my hectic schedule. College during the day and work during the night.
 
“Good morning Mrs. Kwon”  I greeted.
 
“Running late again?”  She said.
 
I let out a chuckle.
 
“Yeah, bad start I guess”  I said as I managed to pick up all my papers.
 
“Well I hope you have fun at college and work dear. I’m sure this day will get better”  She said with a smile as she went back inside.
 
-
 
-
 
-
 
"You know Yumi, I was thinking of going away this year for Christmas to visit my family in America"  I said as me and my bestfriend Yumi were sitting outside during our lunch break.
 
Yumi is my bestfriend. A little while after JiYong left our school, Yumi was transferred to our school from Japan and me and her hit it off. When I decided to tell her that I had a history with the ever so famous 'G-dragon', she of course did not believe me but with a little bit of prove, she finally believed me.
 
"You say that every year JiYeon"  She chuckled.
 
"Hey! I could be serious this time. I have 3 months to save up till Christmas if I want to go"  I said.
 
“Yeah, once you pay some of the bills you have piling up and your car that has now gone into service, I can see you going to America in three months’ time” Yumi sarcastically said with a smirk on her face.
 
We both continued with our lunch when we overheard a group of 1st year students talking about Big Bang
 
"Did you hear, Big Bang is taking a break after their Japanese promotions?!”
 
“I don’t think I can survive that long!" 
 
"Did you hear? Big Bang is taking a break! Oh how will I ever survive"  Yumi quietly mocked and we both couldn’t help but laugh.
 
"Celebrities never take breaks" Yumi said "They are most likely just going to go back to the studio and start recording for their next album" She said.
 
"Well either way, they deserve a break" I said.
 
"Yeah, of course you'd say that, your BOYFRIEND is in Big bang"  She loudly announced grabbing attention of some people around us.
 
"Yumi!"  I hissed, scrunching up some paper and throwing it at her head.
 
"He is NOT my boyfriend anymore and most people here don’t know that! We aren't in highschool anymore! We are in college with different and new people from all over town!"  I said.
 
I don’t like people knowing me and JiYong had a history together. I don’t want to be the centre of any attention. The only people who know are most of the older people around here and most of the people who I went to highschool with ... which most of them have moved to study out of town or abroad.
 
"Well you guys technically didn't break it off so ..."  Yumi dragged on.
 
"So it means he doesn't remember who I am and it’s better that way"  I said.
 
-
 
-
 
-
 
“Here is your Tea Latte and your cookie and crème mocha”  I said as placed both drinks on the couples table.
 
They both said thank you and I went back to the counter to grab the next drinks to serve.
 
The coffee shop is located a bit closer to my house then College, a 20 minute walk to my house. I swear I really need my car back.
 
“Ohh! It’s Big Bang!"  I heard a couple of girls squeal.
 
I looked up at the television we had placed in the corner of the shop and of course, they were on doing an interview about their recent tour in Japan.
 
"Oh, doesn't JiYong look so handsome"  My manager HyeRim spoke.
 
HyeRim is in her early 40s and has been the manager of this coffee shop for a good 9 years now. She is one of those few people left in this small neighbourhood who knows about me and JiYong and had been there from the very start.
 
"I remember when you both use to come in here late at night and just sit here till closing time"  She said  "It was so hard to kick you both out of here"  she laughed.
 
A small smile crept across my face as I can clearly remember those nights like they only had happened yesterday.
 
Usually after our fun at the arcade, we always found ourselves here at this very coffee shop just chatting away about nothing. Whether it was about school, our families or JiYong’s pursuit of becoming a songwriter/performer, there was never an end to topics that JiYong and I would talk about. Despite the fact that we would see each other every day, we never wanted to be apart.
 
“Yeah, those were the days”  I sighed as I let out a small chuckle.
 
-
 
-
 
-
 
 
“Bye JiYeon!” My workmates cheered as one by one walked out the door.
 
“Bye guys!”  I said back as I waved them off from behind the counter.
 
It was an end to a busy day at work and everyone’s shift was over. I decided to stick around just a little bit longer to do some light cleaning.
 
“You know you don’t have to do that JiYeon”  HyeRim said as she stood opposite of me on the other side of the counter.
 
“No, no HyeRim, its fine. I’m pretty much done anyway” I said with a smile as I took my apron off.
 
“Well, don’t stick around too long now and don’t forget to lock up”  HyeRim said as she waved goodbye and made her way towards the door.
 
As she opened the door, we both took noticed of the rain pouring down.
 
“Did you remember to bring an umbrella?”  She asked.
 
I shook my head no.
 
“There is a spare one in my locker”  She said before saying goodbye once more and leaving.
 
The café was now empty and quiet.
 
I walked to the back room and hung my apron up on the hooks provided and grabbed my jacket off the hook while I was there.
 
Just as I was putting my jacket on, I heard the bell above the door ring indicating someone had just walked in.
 
“Sorry! We’re closed!”  I shouted out from the back as I grabbed my bag out of my locker but I didn’t hear the bell ring again indicating the person had left.
 
I let out a groan of frustration.
 
Why can’t people read the ‘Closed’ sign at the front of the door!
 
I marched my way to the front whilst wrapping my scarf around my neck.
 
“I said we are clo-“
 
My heart froze and I felt myself trembling at the person standing before me.
 
The person stood there wearing a black jacket and a pair of loose jeans with his white Nike kicks. He wore a red cap that covered his brown hair that was sticking out from underneath.
 
He was still as handsome and as adorable as I remembered.
 
I may see him every day on the television, see his picture in the magazine all the time and his face blown up on billboards all over the town. I may see his face every day but none of it compared to seeing him face to face and in person.
 
“Ji-JiYong?” 
 
"Hi JiYeon"  He smiled.
 
As I heard my name escape from his very mouth, my heart literally skipped a beat and my mind had gone hay wire and no longer could comprehend what was happening before me.
 
Despite everything going wrong inside me, I managed to remain calm and composed on the outside.  
 
“H-H-H-How-how-“
 
I was stuttering like a complete idiot.
 
“I was told I might find you here”  He said with a smile.
 
And there it was, that same smile I fell in love with.
 
After all these years, the boy I once loved with every ounce of my teenage heart was standing right in front of me.