34

Tied up in Knots

Min-Kyung and Keiba lied together in his bed. They’d stripped down to just their underwear when they’d gotten inside. The music playing softly in the background, and Min’s rubbing her back was lulling her to sleep. She was about to drift off when there was a knock at his door. Keiba tuned her head, but made no effort to get up. Min didn’t even move. The peaceful silence returned, but was quickly interrupted again by more incessant knocking. Min sighed and sat up. Keiba kissed his arm as he slid out of bed and settled back on her pillow.

Min pulled on the pants he’d been wearing earlier along the way to the door. He opened it a crack—just enough for the visitor to see his face.

“What’s up, Officer?” He asked.

“Hello, Min-Kyung.” Officer Bank returned. “It’s a little late to be sleeping, isn’t it?”

“Yeah, I had a long night.”

He nodded. “Mr. Nemmies is in jail even as we speak. I think—”

“Wait. Nemmies? Is that Spencer’s last name?”

Bank nodded.

“Huh. Okay.”

“Anyway, I think the kid he assaulted is going to press charges. You might be called to testify.”

“Okay.”

“Another thing: do you know where Keiba would be? She wasn’t in her dorm.”

“I’m sure she’s around here somewhere. What did you want to see her for?”

“I wanted to tell her that York, myself, and a few other officers would be at the competition today to watch over things.”

“Oh. Good. I heard that Meaghan’s been off campus since you questioned her.”

“Word travels fast. Yeah, she went home afterward and hasn’t left. We have an officer watching her house as we speak.”

“Great. I’ll let her know.”

Bank smiled. “Thanks. I’ll see you tonight, Min-Kyung.”

“See you.”

Min shut the door and turned back to the bed. “Did you hear him?” He got out of his pants and kicked them to the side.

She nodded. “I’m glad they’ll be there. After what happened to Violoncelle, I was worrying about tonight.”

“I’d be there, though.” He reminded her, slipping back into bed.

“Yeah, but you wouldn’t be with me the entire competition.” She put her head on his shoulder. “Besides, it’d be better if we had extra eyes on Darcie and anyone else she might’ve recruited to help her. Maybe Meaghan too.”

“That’s true, but I’ll be watching out for you the hardest.”

She chuckled. “It’s not a competition, babe.”

“I don’t care; it’s still true.”

“Thanks, Mini.” Her fingers started playing in his hair. “Your hair’s turning black again.” She noted.

“Yeah, I was missing it.” He looked at her. “Do you think I should re-dye it?”

Her eyes assessed his face. She found herself trying to memorize his features—as though it would be the last time she’d see them.  A sudden urge to cry had her blinking back tears. She kissed his chest to hide the wetness in her eyes.

“You’d look great either way.” She murmured.

He lifted her chin and kissed her lips. “I love you.”

“Mmm.” She took his face in her hands and kissed him again. “Maybe you’d like to show me how much you love me?”

He grinned and hooked her leg over his hip as she giggled and wrapped her arms around his neck.

 

Keiba stood in the mirror hours later assessing her outfit. She smoothed her hands over her hips, turning this way and that.

“I don’t know. What do you think, Mini?”

He smiled, but her back was to him, so she didn’t see the softness of his expression. “You look beautiful.” He replied. “But you were beautiful in the five dresses you had on before this too.”

“There were only two other dresses, Mini.”

“Whatever.”

She turned again. “Mmm… Maybe I’ll just wear the black one.”

“Well you’ve only got another,” he checked his watch. “Twenty minutes before we should start heading over.”

“I know, I know.” She pulled off the blouse and skirt and picked up the dress she’d haphazardly draped over the back of a chair. She stuffed her feet in a pair of heels, freed her hair from the high pineapple she’d put it into earlier, and then added a rose clip behind her ear for a bit of color.

“Okay,” she announced, fluffing her curls. “I’m ready.”

Min got out of the chair he’d been sitting in. “Wow. With seven minutes to spare.”

“Did you doubt my abilities?”

“Never doubt, naui taeyang gongju.

She smiled. “Hand me Violoncelle.”

“Sure.” He picked it up with one hand and paused with it suspended.

“Are you going to hand it to me?”

“I want to carry it for you.”

“You don’t have to.”

“I know, but I always feel bad about not asking.” He put his arms through the straps. “It’s a lot lighter than I thought. Now I feel less bad about it.”

She laughed and took his hand. She paused once for another quick assessment of her appearance before she grabbed something off the dresser and walked with him out of the dorm.

“What’d you pick up?” he asked.

She held it up for him to see. “My string.”

“Oh. I’d forgotten about it.” He said.

“I know. I’d been trying to stop using it, but I feel like I’ll need it.”

“It makes you feel closer to your mom, huh?”

She smiled, nodding. Min kissed the side of her head.

There was already a substantial crowd in Campus Central, and it was growing steadily even as they approached.

“I didn’t know the turnout would be so large.” She commented, surprised.

Min shrugged. “Well, people will use any excuse they have to get together.”

“True, but this will most likely be classical pieces. Maybe only a couple jazz pieces.”

“So?”

“I wonder how many of them will be falling asleep in their chairs.”

Min heard something in her voice. “Are you okay?”

She nodded. “I guess I’m just a little nervous.”

“Don’t be. You’ll definitely win this.”

She squeezed his hand gratefully. Someone was making their way through the crowd. Keiba recognized him immediately.

“Oh. There’s my dad.” Darcie and Regina were following after him. They were both dressed in green dresses and wore smiles on their faces.

“Damn.” He said under his breath. “They’re here too.”

 “Keiba, Min-Kyung.” Gerald greeted.

“Hi, dad.” She hugged her father with her free arm. “Glad you could come.” The correspondence between them had changed a lot since they’d last been together, Min noticed.

“Wouldn’t miss it.” Gerald replied, turning to Min. He offered his hand which startled Min a little, but when he took it, he was met with the vice-like grip of Gerald’s fingers.

“Good to see you, sir.” Min said, hiding his wince.

“Likewise.” And there was perhaps a small twinkle in his eye as he said that.

“Don’t you look cute?” Regina said. “I’ve never seen you in a dress, Keiba. It suits you.”

“Thanks.”

“Ah, Min-Kyung,” she turned to her daughter and pushed her forward. “This is Darcie, my daughter.”

“We’ve already met.” He reminded her.

“I told you that, mom.” Darcie said.

“Oh that’s right! The carwash fundraiser for church.”

 “It’s good to see you again, Min. And you too, Keiba. It’s been a while since we saw each other last.”

“Well, it hasn’t nearly been long enough.” She said.

Before anyone could reply to that, a petit brunette woman rushed over. She was wearing an earphone in her ear, a walkie talkie at her hip, and holding a clipboard in her hand.

“I need all the musicians to report to the back of the stage immediately.” She barked. “There’s a meeting going on with the judges.”

“Okay.” Keiba replied. Min handed her the cello and she balanced it with one hand and used the other to pull him down for a kiss and a hug.

“I’ll keep an eye on her.” He whispered. “And good luck.”

“I love you.” She didn’t bother whispering that.

He smiled. “I love you too.” He pressed a kiss to her forehead.

“Good luck, Keiba.” Gerald said.

“Thanks, dad.”

“Break a leg.” Darcie told her.

“I second that.” Regina added.

Keiba looked hard at each of them, but it was the woman who said, “That’s the wrong kind of performance. You say that for people who are about to go act, not play an instrument.”

She turned with a flip of her hair and Keiba, a little surprised but pleased, followed the impatient lady backstage. The other musicians had already gathered around a group of four people. Among them was Ruth. She smiled and nodded Keiba over. One of the judges was giving a speech. He was tall with chocolate brown skin, broad shoulders, and wonderfully muscled arms. Keiba recognized him immediately as the highly acclaimed conductor of the orchestra, Randolph Aziz.

“—only two spots available on my orchestra, and there are 20 of you auditioning—”

“21,” the petit woman corrected. “Keiba Heman just arrived.”

“Oh good.” He looked at her. “Better late than never, I suppose.”

She wasn’t late. She had arrived ten minutes before she was told she should be there, but Keiba was so star struck that couldn’t form a reply.

“I –I’m sorry.” She stuttered.

“Don’t worry too much about it.” He smiled at her, and what a smile it was. “Anyway, I just wanted to say that there’s no need to be nervous. Pretend as though the audience, myself, the other judges, aren’t even there. It’s okay if you mess up, just don’t make it obvious. Remember, it’s not just about skill, your presence onstage also matters.”

The contestants nodded, rapt.

“Okay. I’ll turn it over to Sandra to let you all know when you’ll be going up.”

Sandra, the petit lady, assigned each of them a number. Keiba was number three. She wandered off as everyone else was given their numbers and found a chair to sit in. She pulled out her phone to text Min when she’d be going up.

Ruth started making her way toward her, waving. Keiba stood to meet her.

“Oh, Keiba, you look so beautiful, honey.” She said, hugging her.

“Me? Look at you! I mean, has Ben seen you yet?”

Ruth’s dress was white and clung gently to her curves. She giggled. “He’s supposed to come a little later. But thanks. Have you seen Meaghan?”

She shook her head and then explained what Bank had said earlier. “And Darcie’s in the audience but Min promised to keep an eye on her too.”

“Good. Sounds like tonight might go smoothly.”

“I hope so.”