13

Tied up in Knots

“Keiba! Good news.” Ms. Heller began as her students started to file out of her class. The beginning of the new semester had started last week.

“What’s up, Ms. Heller?” Keiba asked, putting her cello away.

“Remember when we were talking a couple months ago about my friend who owns the local orchestra?”

Keiba paused before nodding. Was this what she thought it was?

“I set up an audition for you!”

Keiba released an excited squeal. “No way!”

“Well,” Mrs. Heller assented. “It’s more of a competition than an audition.”

“Competition?”

“Yeah. There’s a limited amount of spots in the orchestra, so you have to compete with other potential students in order to be one of them. It’s scheduled here for the Saturday after next. Do you think you can make it?”

“Probably.” Keiba nodded. “But I’ll let you know for sure later.”

“Okay. Send me an email within the next few days to secure a time.” She leaned against the desk and set her hands against the wood at either side of her hips. “It’ll be you and a few other people from the school, so pick your best piece because, like I said, there are a very small number of slots. And I’m talking maybe two or three.”

She nodded. “Right.”

“Great. I’ll see you next class, Keiba. And good luck.”

“Thank you! Oh and have fun at the party tonight.”

The party was the big start of the semester thing that the staff threw when their students scored well on their tests. Last semester had been an especially good turnout, so the teachers were going to go out for the party instead of having it in the staff room.

Mrs. Heller smiled. “Thanks, Keiba.”

After she’d finished putting away her cello Keiba all but skipped out of the door into the overcast day. Min-Kyung intercepted her as she was rounding the corner, wrapping his arms around her in a big hug and a quick kiss.

“I love seeing you happy.” He murmured into her shoulder.

“Mmm.” She hummed, stepping back so that she could look into his face. “Wanna know why—?” She cut off with a sharp gasp. “Mini! You dyed your hair?” She looked at his brown locks in surprise.

He grinned from ear to ear. “I did. Do you like it?”

“Well…” She took a moment to consider his new look. He was the same, but there was something about his hair being brown that made him seem different somehow. Younger, maybe. Wilder. His black hair was more akin to his darker personality. But the longer she stared at him the more she liked it.

She smiled and ran her fingers through it. “I do actually. It’ll take some getting used to, but it looks good on you.”

“Thanks.”

“Was there any particular reason for dyeing it?” She asked.

He shook his head. “Just felt like the new semester needed a change.”

“Ah. Okay.”

“So why are you so happy today?”

The excitement from earlier returned. She couldn’t contain herself so she hopped from foot to foot in front of him.

He laughed. “Are you a rabbit now? Hurry and tell me.”

“Mrs. Heller set up the audition!”

“For the orchestra you mean?”

“Yes!”

“That’s awesome, Keiba! Congrats!”

“Thanks, baby.” She took his hand in hers and kissed his neck. They started walking across campus. “So how’s your day been?” She queried.

“Other than dying my hair, it wasn’t nearly as exciting.” He replied. “Ben was in class. And then he wasn’t.”

“What do you mean?”

“He showed up for first but was gone for second and third period. He’s been doing that since we saw him last week.”

“Huh. So that’s not something he normally does?”

“No. It’s weird.”

“Something wasn’t right with him that day. He’s never done or said anything like that to me before and hasn’t said anything since. I wonder what’s up with him.”

“Hm.” Min frowned quietly to himself. How often and how hard had Keiba been thinking about Ben? He wasn’t really the jealous type, but with Keiba, for some reason, the fact that she seemed so worried about Ben really… rubbed him the wrong way.

“Mini?”

“Hm?”

“You have to unlock the car.”

“Oh.” He’d been so deep in his thoughts that he hadn’t realized they were in front of his truck. He opened the door for her (it had already become a habit) and they were going to their usual lunch place, but after seeing the unusually high amount of customers, they decided to go to Subway.

“By the way, Min.”

“Yeah?”

“It’s weird that I’ve never asked this, but how do you afford these lunches?”

“I’ve got money saved up in my account from allowances and part time jobs and such. But I also have this internship thing with the school that I do online and it helps get ready for law work or whatever. That started a couple months ago.”

“Ah. Okay cool.”

The pair walked inside and got their sandwiches. They took a table, chatting about whatever came to mind.

“You about ready to go?” He asked after they’d finished their sandwiches. He opened his bag of salt and vinegar flavored chips.

“Almost. Let me go to the bathroom real quick.”

He nodded, munching on a chip. He watched Keiba walk into the ladies’ room with his head tilted just slightly to the left, unable to keep his eyes off of her round behind. He’d never really considered himself an man, but the more time he spent with Keiba the more he was slowly, and willingly, becoming one.

“So,” began a voice he hadn’t heard in a while. “You and her, huh?”

Min looked up to see Ricky standing by him wearing a tentative smile. Min stared up at him with a blank expression and ate another chip. His body language was neither welcoming nor aggressive, but it made Ricky feel uncomfortable. He lost the smile and cleared his throat.

“Can I sit down?” He asked.

Min shrugged, not looking away from him. Ricky bit his lip and pulled a chair beside Min.

“Min… I’m not proud of what I did and I don’t l-ike the way things ended between us.”

“How are you and Sun-Hee?” Min asked, ignoring that.

“Honestly,” Ricky snorted. “Things haven’t been the same since that day.”

“You don’t say.” Min ate another chip. He really didn’t care about how Ricky and Sun-Hee were doing. He didn’t care if they broke up the next day. And why would he? Min had never been known for his forgiving heart.

“I don’t blame you for being upset.” Ricky mumbled. “I don’t know how I’d feel if I were in your shoes—”

“What do you want, Ricky?” Min interjected.

Ricky winced. “I… Min can’t we go back to the way we were before?”

“Before you went behind my back you mean?”

The other man winced. “Yes. I don’t want a girl to be the end of our friendship.”

You let that happen.” Min reminded him. “You and she did it together. That, more than the cheating, is what killed our friendship, Ricky. And I’m not sure we can ever get back to the way we were.”

Ricky sighed, sounding three times his age. “You’re right. But is it also too late to ask for your forgiveness at least?”

“I’ll have to think about that.”

He sighed and leaned back in his chair. “I guess I can accept that.”

“You’ll have to.”

“Alright.” Ricky stood and stuffed his hands in his pockets. “I’ll see you around. And I’m glad you’re in a new relationship.”

Min said nothing. He crumpled the empty chip bag and tossed it away. He returned from the trash at about the same time Keiba left the bathroom.

“Ready to go?” He asked.

“Yeah.” 

He and she walked back to his truck. “Ricky came up to me while you were in the bathroom.” He told her, pulling out.

“Oh yeah? What did he want?”

“He wants to go back to the way things were.”

“Are you going to?”

Min shrugged. “We’ll have to see. I know I’ll probably forgive him eventually.”

She nodded. “That doesn’t necessarily mean you have to become his friend again. But who knows, right?”

“Right.”

He reached over the center console and intertwined their fingers. She smiled and looked out of her window, watching the buildings pass by. 

 

It was just starting to rain as they were pulling into the parking lot. Keiba stepped out of the car before Min could get to her and extended her hand to feel the drops fall into her palm.

Aish.” He said. “It’s raining. Do you have a jacket, Keiba?”

She shook her head. “The air’s too warm to need a jacket.” She tilted her hand and let the water fall to the ground. “Besides, I like the rain.”

Min rolled his eyes. “What don’t you like?”

She laughed. “Don’t you have to get back to class?”

“Unfortunately.”

She smiled apologetically. “Sorry, Mini.”

He shrugged. “I’ll text you when I get out. But in the meantime, don’t wander around. You’ll get sick if you do.”

Keiba put a hand to her chest and looked wounded. “You think I’m so irresponsible?”

He smiled. “No, I know it.”

She turned away. “Well, I never. I guess you don’t want a kiss goodbye then.”

He grabbed her wrist and turned her back. “Oh no you don’t. You can’t get off that easy.”

“How can I kiss someone who thinks I’m irresponsible?” she retorted.

“Like this.” He said and kissed her sweetly.

“Mm,” she hummed. “Don’t forget to text me.” She whispered and kissed him again.

“I will.” He promised and went in for their third kiss.

About an hour and a half after they’d parted ways, Keiba sat at her desk looking through her music books for a piece to play for the orchestra audition when an eerie chill crept down her spine. She glanced out of her window and saw the trees bend and sway at the mercy of the strong winds. The light sprinkle from earlier had turned to a thunderstorm. She hoped Min-Kyung would be alright getting back to his dorm.

She shook her head and tried to return to her books, when something made her glance back outside. To her shock, she saw a young woman walking up to one of the trees. She was soaked, wearing nothing but a pair of white pajamas and a long white robe. The end of the garment was dirtied with mud as were her tennis shoes. She was dragging a rope behind her. Keiba opened her window and shouted down at her.

“What are you doing?” She implored. “Do you need help?”

The woman looked toward Keiba and screwed up her features hatefully. Keiba was surprised to recognize her, but couldn’t remember where she’d seen her. The woman reached behind the tree to pull out a dark blue, metal fold up chair. She unfolded it and set it up beneath the tree.

“Wait!” Keiba called. “Don’t do that. Come on; tell me what’s bothering you.”

The woman ignored her and tossed the end around one of the branches. She got up on the chair and began to secure the rope. And, to Keiba’s horror, there was a noose at the other end.

“!” Keiba rushed out of her room.

The elevator wasn’t working even after she’d repeatedly pressed the button, so she had to take the stairs. On the way down she bumped into a tired-looking Ben.

“Keiba, what’s wrong?” He asked, startled.

“Ben, I think there’s someone who’s about to commit suicide outside.”

“There’s—wait, what? Slow down. What do you mean?”

“There’s no time! I need you to come with me and help.”

“Why don’t you ask Min?”

“I’m asking you!” She snapped. “Now come on!”

Keiba grabbed his wrist and half-dragged him down the steps in her haste to save the young woman from making the biggest mistake of her life.

At this exact moment, Min-Kyung’s class came to an end. As promised he texted Keiba that he’d gotten out of class before he braved the storm and headed toward his dorm. He entered the building just after Ben and Keiba’s departure. He walked up the steps to his room and found a folded piece of paper taped to his door. He peeled the paper off and saw that his name, written in Korean, was on the other side.

He unlocked his room and shut the door behind him. He set his things on top of his desk and unfolded the paper. The letter, too, was written in Korean. It read:

Oppa,

I liked the way you were before.

How could you let yourself be changed by that girl?

How can you be so easily deceived? Can’t you see through her?

I’d hoped you’d be able to see for yourself the truth behind that ’s lies, but that hasn’t happened.

This is the only way for you to see the truth. And She agrees with me too.

I know you’ll be upset with me for a little while, but I want you to know that I’m doing this for you.

I’d do anything for you.

I love you, Min-Kyung.

Min was beyond confused by the letter’s contents. Who the hell was this from? And to whom was she referring when she wrote, “that girl”? It couldn’t be Keiba, could it?

Could it?

Chilled, Min rushed out of his room and pounded against Keiba’s door. Of course, there wasn’t a response. He took out his cell phone to call her, but he could hear her phone ringing inside her room. He cursed to himself and ran down the stairs.

Keiba and Ben reached the woman just as she was fitting the noose around her neck. They skidded to a halt in front of her; Ben steadied Keiba when she almost lost her footing in the slippery mud.

“Stop!” Keiba shouted. “Let’s think about this for a moment. Let’s talk.”

“There’s no need to talk.” The woman spat.

“Come on,” Keiba begged. “This isn’t the way—”

“Shut up! Do you think I’m so stupid as to take my own life? You’re even more of an idiot than I thought.”

Keiba opened and closed it. Wait. This girl wasn’t trying to kill herself? Then what exactly was she doing?

“I’m sick of seeing you corrupt him.” The woman growled. “I’m sick of having to bear the sight of you and him together. Kissing. Hugging. Disgusting! You need to stay with your own people. Having one of you mix with one of ours is a disgrace to everyone involved.”

“What the hell are you talking about?”

“You and Min-Kyung!” The woman screeched. “It sickens me to even have to speak your names together in the same sentence.”

“Wait a minute,” Ben began.

“Shut up you ape!” She pulled a gun out from behind her back and aimed it at him.

Keiba and Ben froze. No. She thought. What is this? Why is she pointing that at us? How did things get to this point? What’s going on…?

The woman leveled a maddened eye on Keiba and pointed the barrel of the gun at her. “I won’t let you kill the pureness within Min any longer!”

Keiba glanced toward the dorms, and to her dismay discovered that all of the windows were shut and the curtains drawn. No one would see or hear the altercation with the storm raging. No one except Ben, who might meet a similar fate as she. Was this how things would end for her?

 “Don’t! Wait! Stop!”

Everyone except Keiba, who dared not move with the gun trained on her, looked to see that Min had arrived, breathing a little hard from his run down the steps. The woman gasped. Her grip on the gun wavered and then steadied as she got over her surprise.

Oppa,” She murmured. “This is a surprise. I wasn’t expecting to meet you until later.”

 “Stop this.” He demanded.

“I won’t.”  She said, switching to Korean.

“Who are you?” Min asked.

No, Oppa. That’s her language. Speak in Korean.

Fine.” He had no choice but to play her game. “Who are you?” He asked again.

The woman let out a reverent sigh that sounded like a moan. “The sound of your voice speaking our mother language is so wonderful.

Min ignored that. “What’s your name?” He asked instead.

Yun.”

Yun. Why are you doing this? Keiba has done nothing to you.

Oppa, she’s ruined you.

How so?

You never would have dyed your hair if not for her meddling. You did this because she put you up to it. I have to get rid of her to open your eyes.

What? No. My eyes are open. Keiba didn’t know I was going to do this. It was a surprise to her too. I just wanted to start the semester differently.

Her lip trembled. “I don’t believe you.

It’s the truth.

Then, if you did this of your own will, why are you with her? She’s holding something over you, isn’t she?

No. I’m with her because I choose to be.

Why?” She wailed. Thunder clapped in time with her cry. “Why are you with her and not me? What is so special about her? She’s fat and her skin is dark! What’s wrong with someone of your own race? Someone thin with skin as smooth and white as porcelain? Someone like me?

Min took a deep breath and swallowed the angry protests. He couldn’t make the mistake of upsetting Yun in this situation. “There’s nothing wrong with our race’s women. It’s just… I’ve never felt for anyone like I feel for Keiba.

Oppa… Do you mean you love her?

He didn’t answer for a moment. Then he said, “All I can say is that for me, to lose her would be… absolutely detrimental.

You say that now, but once she’s gone you’ll get over that.” She cocked the gun.

No!” Min yelled. “I’m serious. If you do this, Yun, I swear that I—… I really will be ruined. And I’ll never forgive you.”*

That brought Yun up short. “Never?” she replied.

Never.” He affirmed.

She chewed her lip and considered his words. Her arm slowly lowered. Min, Ben, and Keiba started to relax, but then—

No. For you, Oppa, I’ll just have to take that chance!

Yun raised the gun again. Keiba gasped.

NO!”

The sound of the gunshot was drowned out by the sound of a second clap of thunder. 


Phew! This chapter took a while to write, and I hope that it makes up for my absence! 

There was a lot going on in this one and I think it's funny that this happened during the 13th chapter =3. But what did you guys think? Was it too much? Should I cut it in half? 

And as always, much love to subbies new and old! \^^/