third.

Elementary, My Dear Kyungsoo

"Uh, guys...?"

Wu Yifan, previous owner of the Black Pearl, gulps as he watches the two detectives glance quickly at each other and look away. On opposite sides of the room.

"Uh, if you're partners and we're supposed to be getting the Pearl back, then shouldn't you two be sitting side by side...? Instead of ignoring each other and refusing to talk?"

Jongin clears his throat awkwardly and goes to stand beside Kyungsoo, who shrinks away. Their eyes meet and both of them remember clearly the lap incident that happened yesterday. 

"Sorry, Mr Wu. So, can you tell us what happened on the day the Black Pearl was stolen from your home?" Jongin asks, whipping out a notepad and pen.

"I was inside the house, talking to my boyfriend, when we both heard a thumping sound and a man whispering something like 'Jongdae be quiet!'. Naturally we assumed that the men were going to steal the Black Pearl. Chanyeol went ahead of me to check it out, and... I heard him screaming." Yifan bites his bottom lip. "I ran to where the screaming was coming from and Chanyeol was tied up on a chair. There were two guys in front of him and one of them was holding up his phone right in Chanyeol's face."

"What were they doing to him?" Kyungsoo asks, perched on the edge of his seat, listening intently.

Yifan shrugs. "They were playing 'Twinkle' by TTS."

Kyungsoo frowns. "Wait what."

"Then why was he screaming?" Jongin questions, pen pausing over the paper.

"Because Chanyeol loves Girls' Generation. I guess this was supposed to be a distraction to get the Pearl, but they ended up hitting him over the head because Chanyeol wouldn't shut up. Then they saw me standing there- I mean, who wouldn't because I'm over six feet tall- and hit me, too. While we were both knocked out they took the Pearl. I can't believe how easy everything was," Yifan sighs, shaking his head.

Kyungsoo buries his face in his hands. "This is the dumbest thing I have ever heard."

"But what about the news saying that Kim Joonmyun seduced you?" Jongin cuts in.

Yifan makes a face. "Not true. Chanyeol is my one and only. Besides, Joonmyun and I went to the same high school and he was quite a narcissist, so he would probably want to make the public think he seduced me, the only person who ever rejected him. His locker was lined with mirrors and love letters. Joonmyun was one greasy kid."

Jongin blinks and points at Kyungsoo with his pen. "Wait; you, Joonmyun, and Yifan all went to the same high school?"

The wide-eyed boy scratches his hair. "Guess so- oooooohh, Yifan, you were the infamous captain of the basketball team who couldn't play at all but they-"

Yifan gets up from his seat and strides over to where Kyungsoo is sitting.

"-elected you captain anyway just because you were tall and had intimidating dragon eyebr-mmmmph!" Yifan's hand closes over the shorter boy's mouth.

"That's enough from you for today," Yifan says quickly, glaring at Kyungsoo.

"Yeah guys, save the memories for later. Right now we need to figure out where Joonmyun could be hiding-"

Kyungsoo raises his hand.

Jongin sighs. "Yes?"

"I know his address!"

Jongin's eye twitches (just like Chanyeol's, Yifan notes with approval). "What."

Kyungsoo shrugs. "After we broke up, Joonmyun sent me a typed letter every month. He writes about his life and his fears and how little Jongdae is cute and basically I was like his diary. But he mentions his address a couple times in 48-size font and his phone number in 72 so I think we have all the information we need."

"Does he still send you those letters?" Jongin questions, eye continuing to twitch (okay this is getting scary, not even Chanyeol can hold a twitch this long). 

"Yeah, I just got one today," Kyungsoo pipes.

"Why," Jongin grits, "did you not tell me this before?"

"Did I have to?"

"Kyungsoo, Joonmyun is a worldwide criminal. With this information, you could've turned him in and none of this would've happened," Jongin nearly screeches.

"Oh," Kyungsoo says, staring down at his shoes. "Joonmyun is a nice guy, though. We still keep in touch from time to time besides those letters."

Jealousy bubbles up inside Jongin and his face makes contact with his desk. "Nnnnnnnnnnghhh," he groans. "Euurrrgghh."

Yifan pats his back comfortingly.

"Stop, your hands are so big I feel like I'm being slaughtered," Jongin moans.

Yifan extracts his hand and looks helplessly at Kyungsoo, who shrugs and smiles.

 

 

 

"Sumgyeodo twinkle eojjeona, nune hwag ttui janha!" Chanyeol howls, flailing his arms. "Beire ssayeo isseodo, naneun twinkle tiga na!"

Yifan cradles his head in his huge hands. "Darling, shut up."

"THE TWINKLE, TWINKLE-"

"Save. Me."

 

 


 

 

 

 

A/N: useful, better, actually-related-to-the-story things will happen in the next chapter.

probably.