Chapter 44

Dear You

I didn’t know what had led me into this position: shoved down the hallway by my two best friends as I shrieked and clawed myself out of their hold, digging my shoes into the cold floor in a vain attempt to make them stop. The only thing I could recall was that I was accosted upon opening my door, and that my pleads for mercy fell upon deaf ears as I was shoved into a car that I recognised belonged to Hyunji’s sister to be driven to school. I had no idea what they were planning to do, if this was merely an elaborate prank that they had the idiocy to consent to, but I knew it wouldn’t have been something good.

“I’m going to kill you two!” I screeched, my voice echoing down the hallway. Yixing, upon realising that I was putting too much resistance, bent down and scooped me into his arms, throwing me over his shoulder like a sack of potatoes as his girlfriend held my arms to keep me from punching him at the back.

“It’s all for your own good,” she tried to soothe me, but the smirk she had when she said it convinced me otherwise. 

“I hate you both!”

Chortles of laughter. Chanyeol and Tao were both doubled over by the lockers, laughing as they watched me being manhandled across the hallway. I was being kidnapped by my two best friends while my two close friends were laughing at my misery. They were right: never trust anyone but yourself.

I contented myself with the fact that there was no one up front of hold my legs, so I was free to kick Yixing on the chest as much as I wanted. I kept at it for the whole way, and I knew that Yixing was severely questioning his choices in life by the time he dumped me on the ground in front of a door whose plaque I couldn’t bother to look at.

“I was happy when you two decided to get together, but I can’t believe how wrong I had been. You two were terrible individually, but now you’re just barbaric!” I hissed at them. Both of them ignored me. Instead, them both grabbed me by the arm and hauled me up, and then opened the door and shoved me through it.

They slammed the door at my face, and I was about to scream and lunge at the knob when someone cleared his throat. I whirled around, a steady blush creeping up my cheeks when I realised that Joonmyun had been watching me the entire time –and probably had heard all the things that I was screaming down the hall as well.

“I’m sorry. I asked them for assistance in bringing you here, but I didn’t realise that it would lead to such... unorthodox methods.” Joonmyun didn’t look at all guilty. In fact, he looked downright amused as he beheld my sight. “You look lovely by the way.”

I cleared my throat, smoothing down my hair and trying to salvage whatever was left of my dignity. “Hi, Joonmyun.”

“Hey You,” he chuckled.

If my cheeks were pink before, I was sure that my face was as red as a tomato now.

Joonmyun’s lips quirked up in an amused smile. He crossed the space between us, pausing when he was just a few feet away. “No smart comebacks for me? You’ve always had something in your sleeve for Yixing or Chanyeol or Hyunji.”

“Does it matter?” I asked, turning away to calm my heart.

“It does to me. It hurts to think that you find me undeserving of your affections.”

I glanced at him, wondering what on earth could have made him this jovial, with a sudden compulsion to crack jokes.

His eyes softened when they looked into mine. “I heard.”

He didn’t have to elaborate for me to understand what he meant. I ducked my head, avoiding his eyes. I felt a finger against my chin, tipping it up.

“So you didn’t choose Jongin,” he said, his voice smooth and soft, like warm honey and silk.

I opened my mouth, but nothing came out.

He let his hand drop to his side, running it through his hair as he turned and walked away. “Can you tell me something?” he asked, turning to look at me. The light shining from the windows cast him in soft glow, blurred at the edges, but his face and figure remained clear and defined. “Am I a bad guy if I feel so glad?”

 I think something must have lodged itself into my throat; I couldn’t speak.

The corners of his lips turned up in a slight smile, and he turned away. “I gave Jongin that chance. I thought he deserved to have a closure, regardless how the outcome might turn out. It was fair play.”

“What do you mean?” I asked quietly.

Joonmyun turned his head; it was just the slightest of movements, just enough for me to see his profile and the mild contemplation in his eyes. “When we realised that we were falling for the same girl, we decided that we each deserved our own moments, our own chances, to make a move on you. I overstepped. We weren’t supposed to confess without receiving consent from the other, but I already had –all those notes I sent you weren’t merely just a manner of greeting, but also to convey my feelings as well.” He ran his fingers through his hair. “But you didn’t know who I was, so up till yesterday, it was technically fair play.”

“Is...” I gulped. “Is Jongin alright?”

“He holds nothing against you.” There was a pause as I stared at him from across the room, while he remained with his back turned to me, his eyes facing the window. “You were very kind to him,” Joonmyun added quietly. “I’m thankful to you for that.”

I didn’t say anything, but stared at the floor instead. “Is that all?” I asked finally. “Is this why you asked my friends to find me?”

“No.” I realised that Joonmyun had turned away from the window, but I kept my eyes on the ground. “I brought you here so that I can have my closure.”

“So what is your closure?” I asked, chancing a glance up.

Joonmyun smiled playfully, his eyes alight. “Isn’t it obvious? Or do you intend to break my heart as well?”

My heart hammered against my chest, so loud that it was almost painful. My head was still foggy, trying to process if this was all a dream, the to the love story born out of my imagination.

“Jongin told you where you stand in my heart, and I bet Hyunji and Yixing knew as well,” he chuckled, “even before I knew it myself.”

“They know everything,” I agreed, nodding unconsciously.

“I’m still waiting for you answer,” he said, taking a step forwards. “Or would you rather we stick with the letters, and have it written instead?”

I shook my head, an involuntary smile spreading across my face. “No. But you just have to answer one thing.” I cocked my head playfully at him. “What did you write that day that you didn’t want me to see?”

Joonmyun smiled mysteriously, taking two steps towards me so that he was right in front of me. He reached out and cupped my cheek with his hand, looking into my eyes as he said, “Dear You, I think I’m in love with you.”


THE END

And that shall be the last of this story. Thanks again, for sticking with me and reading. I love you guys. Your comments are my drive to write.

Anyway, before I say goodbye though, I think I'd like to direct your attention to another story, my most recent, and definitely shorter than this one:

EXO Cafe (starring Chanyeol)

https://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/613808/exo-cafe-fluff-romance-exo-exok-chanyeol

It'll be updated soon, I promise, since I'm able to focus on it now.

I hope I'll see you guys again!

Love,

crystal_clover