Chapter 39

Dear You

“It still amazes me that even the great Zhang Yixing could succumb to a girl.”

I disguised my laugh with a desperate attempt at a hacking cough, my fingers moving to cover my mouth and the smile that threatened to spread across it. Tao glanced at me with a small smirk; nonchalant, carefree –pleased that only he had dared to speak the truth.

Kris was better at keeping his composure, but even the almighty captain of the basketball team would succumb to amusement once in a while; his lips were quirked into a smirk. “All I know is I’m glad to have one of my best players back.”

We turned our attention back to the court, where Yixing was busy shooting hoops while Hyunji was standing next to him, toying with a spare ball that the boys used when they had to separate into two groups. She tried tossing it into the net –it missed by a good few feet. Pouting, she turned and said something to Yixing, who heaved an exasperated sigh and moved to stand behind her, wrapping her up in a semi-embrace as he demonstrated the proper way to throw.

“Everybody succumbs to love one day,” Tao said sagely, and I chuckled lightly.

“So what do you guys want to talk to me about?” I asked, turning away from the romcom drama happening at centre court to give Kris a questioning raise of an eyebrow.

“Your pay,” Kris said, tearing his eyes away from the scene to look at me. “Sorry, I forgot to tell you. Donghae-hyung actually called us in the day after we came back from the trip to give us our cheques, but I forgot to inform you. He says you can come over this weekend and he’ll hand everything over to you.”

I blinked. “Oh? How much will I owe you guys for my part of the donation?”

Kris smiled. “I had Hyung cut our pay and put it in a separate cheque to make up our part of the donation. What you get is all yours.”

“Really?” I asked, my eyes bright. I had been short on funds for these past few weeks, and there had been an absolutely adorable t-shirt that I had been eyeing since the start of the month.

Kris nodded. “Really. Sorry again, though,” he said, rubbing the back of his head sheepishly. “I should have told you this earlier. I’m sorry you have to go alone, but if you want, I can get Joonmyun to go with you. I’d accompany you there myself, but I’m gearing these boys up for a game coming next month.”

“Oh, um...” I plastered on a smile and shook my head. “I’m sure he’s busy.”

The truth was that, ever since our return from the trip, I had barely seen Joonmyun or Jongin anywhere within the campus, much less my vicinity. I thought it may be coincidental, but a little part of my conscience told me that they were actually avoiding me. I felt... confused actually. I had no idea what I could have done to make the cousins suddenly opt to give me the silent treatment.

“No actually, I don’t think it’s a problem,” Kris said with a shrug. “After all, he keeps on looking for you for these past few days. I’m sure he’d be more than glad to accompany you.”

I couldn’t hide my surprise. “I... I never saw him ever since we got off the bus last Friday.”

Kris looked surprised. “Really? He keeps on dashing out of class every time the bell rings, be it for lunch or dismissal. Not to mention that he’s always here early in the mornings before everyone else. I thought he was waiting for you.”

“Um...” I scratched the back of my neck. “No. He never was.”

“Hmm.” Kris raised his brows. “Odd guy.”

“Odd indeed,” I agreed under my breath, and bade the two boys goodbye.


 

Hey You!

How’s your day? I saw you around today. Wished I could have said hi.

When can you meet me, you ask? Well, I’ll give you a hint. You already have ;P. Anyways, you look tired and a little bit stressed. Maybe this would cheer you up.

I smiled as I read the note I had pulled off my locker door. As usual, he had impeccable timing in the placing his letters; they were always there whenever I reached my locker in mornings and after school, and at my desk when I reach class. Given that the ink was fresh and the papers had thus far been intact every time I saw them, I had a feeling that he always taped it minutes before my arrival, ensuring a safe delivery before it could fall into the hands of others.

At first, I was amazed as to how well he knew where I was going to be at specific times. I questioned him once in my replies, and he had told me that it was a secret and refused to divulge anything more. On normal basis, I would have found it extremely unsettling to have notes taped on my desk every morning, but given that it was him and the letters had thus far been nothing but sweet, I couldn’t help the light, fluttering feeling in my heart every time I got them. It always gave me a warm and fuzzy feeling to know that someone was always watching out for me, keeping me safe and offering me little words of encouragement to help me keep my head up so I could face the day on.

I was desperate enough to know who he was that I decided to just ask –ask and see if he would beat around the bush about it. The reply I received was by no means direct, but it confirmed my suspicions on him being one of my close acquaintances.

I reached up and peeled the envelope next to the letter, exclaiming in delight when I realised that within it was a strawberry lollipop that I had been craving for these past few days. Pleased, I began to unwrap it, and as the plastic rustled in my fingers I caught sight of the label stamped on the top.

My favourite candy store.


 

My heart was still thumping as I walked home, all the while toying with the stick of the lollipop I had long finished in the subway. I fished into my pocket and brought out the wrapper again, staring at the label as I tried to put my thoughts together.

I kept coming to one conclusion, but I pushed it away every time, unable to believe it. I decided to ponder over it this time, thinking that perhaps I could afford to give it a fair judgement.

His letters all came with impeccable timing, and such punctuality couldn’t help but spark my suspicions that he kept watch over me, always there in the crowd, but never really seen.   I got a feeling that he kept track of my whereabouts, enough to know where I would head next so that he could quickly tape the notes onto my belongings and escape before anyone could see him. With regards to the notes in my class, I got a feeling that he came to school early so that he would be able to safely place them onto my desk, and it would be easy to tape a note onto my locker and just melt into the crowd as he waited for me to find it.

It struck me once that this person was indeed someone I was closely acquainted with, and with the vague answer I received with the last note that I found, my suspicions had been confirmed. The boy was the person who knew me on intimate basis, definitely not a junior whom I could only have interacted with in passing. He knew me well enough as a friend and was undoubtedly close to me.

Kris’s revelation on Joonmyun’s constant disappearances from class had sparked suspicion in me; the fact that he had cited me as his excuse stunned me. The notes came from someone who knew my desk; Joonmyun knew because I told him once, a long time ago. Kris also told me that he was always here in school during mornings; that would explain the notes I found, taped to my desk every morning before class started. He could have easily placed it and slipped out before the rest of the students filed in and took their seats –ingenious really, because nobody would be able to question his constant appearances at a class that wasn’t his to begin with. The notes at my locker after classes had an explanation too. Joonmyun often stayed back for music club meetings; he could have passed by my locker and taped the letter there before proceeding onto to his club. And the candy cane... that day when he sent me home with his car, he had cited that he had especially liked the candy that came from a candy store we happened to pass –one that I exclaimed to have been my favourite.

All evidence pointed to him, but still, I was doubtful. Would it be wise to jump to conclusions? After all, I was –undeniably –in love with the boy. It was just as likely that my heart was trying to influence me into thinking that small insignificant details might link him to this mysterious pen pal mystery. Despite my attempts to get over him, I ended up yielding to my feelings for him after all, and perhaps –just perhaps –it may be that I was more desperate than I thought I was.

I decided to investigate further before I could get even more carried away with my theory. This time, I had no choice. I had to recruit a minion to assemble my evidence for me.

And I could only think of only one person to do it.


 

“Why on earth would you need Joonmyun’s books for?” Hyunji asked over the phone that night. I could imagine her brows furrowing, expressing her confusion over the request I asked of her just seconds before.

“It’s important,” I told her, trying my best to balance my phone as I towelled my hair.

I heard the tap-tapping of her keyboard continue as she spoke; IM-ing Yixing probably. “Why can’t you get it yourself? I’m sure he’d be happy to give it to you.”

“Hyunnie, please,” I begged, opting a sugary tone in hopes of convincing her. “Just do this for me –a favour for your best friend.”

“Don’t even try the ‘best friend card’ on me,” she snorted.

“As if you haven’t used it for more than a bazillion times,” I shot back, before sighing and running the towel through the wet strands of my hair again. “Come on, please? It doesn’t necessarily have to be his book. Just something with his handwriting on it –just make sure it’s an actual sentence instead of just one word.”

“What are you up to, Go Aeri?” Hyunji asked suspiciously.

“I’ll tell you, but not now,” I promised. “Just do this for me, will you?”

I heard Hyunji sigh over the line. “Fine.”

“I love you, Hyunnie,” I said with a grin.

“Darn right you should,” she retorted and then hung up on me.

I grinned as I set down my phone. The plan was going more smoothly than I thought. Once Hyunji got a sample of Joonmyun’s handwriting, all I needed to do then was compare it to all the letters I’d received. Then, I’d know if my suspicions were the truth.


 

The morning after, my luck took a turn for the worst. As always, I was lingering in the hallway, absently humming a song that I used to like in middle school as I sorted through my books. It had been a long time since I even thought of cleaning my locker from the old forgotten scraps of paper and candy wrappers that had accumulated within the course of the semester, and I could only shove everything aside as I resolved to have everything cleared up by the end of the week.

I was digging through a pile of papers, trying to locate the history essay I had shoved in about a week ago when something slammed against the locker adjacent to mine. A clinking of bracelets followed, and I could only sigh in annoyance as I withdrew my head from the metal interior to give Minhee a sharp glare.

“What the hell do you want?” I asked, my tone expressing the annoyance, exasperation and irritation that always came with the painful realisation of her existence.

“Who are you dating?” she fired at me.

Although I wasn’t surprised that she neglected to offer a polite greeting before getting on with her interrogation, I was however, slightly thrown off by the question she posed (and the force of it).

“What?”

“Don’t play innocent with me,” she said with an exasperated sigh. “Which one are you dating? Joonmyun or Jongin?”

“Neither,” I answered curtly. I began to walk away, not really eager to repeat this conversation again.

She grabbed my wrist. “Then why do they worship the ground you walk on?” she questioned accusingly. “Did you drug their drinks or did you result to witchcraft?”

I whirled around to face her, silently relishing the moment where she flinched back as my hair slapped her face. “If there’s one person in this school who could even think of trying to use witchcraft, my bets would be on you.”

She glared at me through kohl-lined eyes.

“Now if you’ll excuse me,” I said as tugged my wrist out of her grasp.

As fast as a snake she struck out and grabbed my wrist again. “Honestly, don’t you have any shame? Isn’t it enough that you have some of the school’s best looking boys in your acquaintance? Do you have to have both the transfer students too? Now answer my question. Joonmyun or Jongin: which one are you dating?”

“To put it frankly, both of us have had our share of Aeri’s time,” another voice, languid and conversational, intervened before I could give her my reply. I felt an arm wrap itself around my waist and tug me away from Minhee’s grip. Jongin pulled me close with a smirk, and then withdrew his arm and rested it casually onto my shoulders instead. “But in terms of actual dates, I was the one who was officially granted the honour.”

Minhee was speechless at his sudden appearance. Her eyes darted between my face and Jongin’s, who appeared bent on irritating her even further by leaning his head close to mine, smirk still intact.

 “Now that we’re done here, don’t you have class to go to –or maybe a hole to crawl back into?” he said pleasantly.

I almost laughed when she stomped her foot and stalked away, head held high –a sign that a tear-filled tantrum was soon to come. I chuckled when she rounded the corner and turned my head slightly to address Jongin.

“Hole. I like that,” I chuckled, raising my free hand up to offer a high-five. “You seem pretty experienced where comebacks are concerned.”

Jongin grinned and accepted the high-five with his free hand. “Every school has its own insufferable queen –yours though, just happens to be one of the worst I’ve ever met.”

“Where have you been these past few days?” I asked as I wriggled out of his arm, taking a step forward so that he and I were face to face. “It’s the first time I’ve seen you conduct a disappearing act so successfully.”

Jongin grimaced. “Sorry. I guess... I guess I just needed time to think. Hyung and I ran into some... disagreements.”

I tried to let it show on face that I knew. Putting on a passably surprised expression, I asked, “Really? What about?”

Jongin smiled. “Typical guy problems. Anyways, did you miss me?” Again, the characteristic smirk was back.

I rolled my eyes and shoved my books into his arms. “Whatever, Hotshot. Just help me carry these to class.”


 

The day passed by slowly and aggravatingly. Luckily, my restored friendship with Jongin meant that I’d at least get to distract myself for a few hours by countering his cheesy lines and formulating clever quips to go against his. Jongin was the type of guy who went with the flow –the kind of friend that you could lose contact with for years, yet would still be able to pick up where you left off when you meet him again.

Jongin met me again during lunch, proclaiming that he had a prearranged arrangement with me which I was sure he never made. I let the matter slide, thinking that I somewhat missed Jongin, and he made a pleasant company as any. We had named the library as our regular haunt, and it was to this vast chamber that Jongin and I retired to with our sandwiches and canned iced coffees. Like before, we chose the table at the far back, and soon settled into a quiet conversation as we caught up on the things that happened within the few days we hadn’t seen each other. For a boy who never really cared about what other people think, he was surprisingly well-informed on the school gossip –even on the tales of the ‘White Ghost’ that was rumoured to lurk within the walls of the school.

I admit that my complying with his wishes was a cover to mask my hidden intent, which was to find out about Joonmyun’s well-being. But Jongin was either being completely ignorant or extremely evasive. I was frustrated with his answers, for they tended to stray to the superficial details of my question instead of the main idea. In the end, I gave up; the argument between them must have not yet reached its resolution. Perhaps evading references to Joonmyun was Jongin’s way of trying to forget what happened.

In the end, I was no more enlightened than I had been a few hours before. Deciding to call it a day, I decided to amuse him by paying attention to his stories and granting him the appropriate responses that every interval called for.

Seeing that I was going to get nothing more from Jongin, I seized Hyunji after school and dragged her along with me back home, hoping to coerce her into giving me a full report on her progress.

“It’s impossible, Aeri,” Hyunji stated, shaking her head. “He keeps everything well-guarded, and I don’t think tearing a page out of his notebook is an option.”

I frowned, tugging on my socks and throwing them into the laundry basket. “Not even a stray piece of paper he uses to scribble notes on?”

“Well, I can’t really go crawling on the floor of his class looking for scraps of paper with his name on it, now can I?” she said sarcastically. “Even Yixing –”

“Wait,” I gasped, whirling around to face her. “You told him?!”

“He’s my boyfriend and your best friend. Of course I told him,” she said, shrugging nonchalantly.

“You –” I sputtered, completely speechless.

“It’s just Yixing,” she stated with a roll of her eyes. “It’s not so much a strange request to him as it is to me. And besides, you can’t expect me to go barging into Joonmyun’s class to demand for his notes, now can you? Yixing has connections to Joonmyun via Kris. I thought he’d be able to think of something.”

I scowled, slumping onto my bed. “Fine,” I grumbled. “What did he get?”

“Nothing as of yet, but I’m sure he’ll come up with something. In the meantime,” she flopped onto my bed next to me, her hair fanning around her head in a messy crown of auburn locks. “I think it’s about time we have some girl to girl bonding time, don’t you agree?”