Chapter 3; A Start for new beginnings

The Last Encore
Dear Diary,

I didn’t think I’d write in this diary. I’m not really the type of person to do so, but since it was given to me and since I was encouraged, I’m writing in it now. It’s been a week since I was cursed—no, blessed with this heavy burden. Even if my parents don’t show it, I can hear them argue and cry almost every night. At first I was mad at God, but I thought of it as a sign from him. A sign that may be because I’m a good person, he wants me to join him. But I’m afraid. I’m afraid of how I would feel when the time comes, afraid to leave my family and friends behind. I decided that if I want to make this the best couple of months, I promise that I will not let this burden bring me down. My best friend, Miyoung just did an audition with a music company from Korea. She said that if she was chosen to train under the company, she would take me with her. Maybe I could use that as an opportunity to spend some time away from here. I know my parents won’t approve, but once they see how determined I am, I know they will let me go.





(Jinwoon's POV)

“Jinwoonyah what are you reading?” I turned around and saw Kwon Hyung leaning over.

“Uhh nothing, a fan wrote a fan fiction about me.” I quickly folded the paper and stuffed it in my pocket as I stood up from the stool.

“Is it a one? I always get that, but recently I’ve been reading romance fictions about me and Ga In. I wish some of them happened in real life.” –sigh- xD

“Haha, in your dreams!” Seulong interrupted as he walked in the dressing room. Changmin was taking a nap on the couch, while the Noona stylists were busy preparing for our opening for JYP Hyung’s concert in NYC. They just finished putting make-up on me and Kwon, so I made my way towards the small couch. I took out my mini netbook to look at our fan site. Maybe I could find her in here. I thought to myself. It’s too bad that girl didn’t write her name on her diary page. I wonder if she will notice that one of her pages were missing. I’m glad she didn’t recognize me because having a mob chasing me in the airport is something I would like to avoid.

The stage director knocked on the door and told everyone to settle down.

“Alright everyone, you have 5 minutes to get ready. The crowd quickly filled the stadium. After you’re finished with dress and make-up, come to the side stage and get fitted for your audio and mics.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------


(ChaeRin's POV)

“We’re here!!” Miyoung and I both looked at each other and gave each other a hi-5. She knocked on the door of this big wooden arch door. The area we were staying in was probably 10 minutes into the city.

“Hello, anyone home?” she continued to knock. Suddenly the door opened and a man stood in front of us. He looked no more than in his mid-20s, he was tan-colored, tall and had a suave smile. He then suddenly grabbed Miyoung for a big hug and twirled her around. Woah. What is this guy doing?

“Cousin Kibum!! Hahah it sure has been a long time!” Cousin? He finally dropped Miyoung on her feet and she punched him on his shoulder.

“Geez Cuz! You’re getting big! I remember when you were just a baby. Haha”

“Chyeah, and I remember you being so skinny and weak.” Miyoung replied back.

“Oh, ChaeRinyah! This is my Cousin Ana’s husband. I forgot he was home from servicing in the military.”

I bowed and introduced myself. He took our luggage and told us that Ana was still at school, so he was the only one at home. Their house is really pretty. It's a two-story house that's painted pale pink and white. After a quick tour, he showed us our rooms; my room was next to Miyoung’s. I was lucky enough to get the one with a nice view of the city. She said that since it was my first time in Seoul, I should get treated V.I.P. status. The last time I was here was when my mother gave birth to me. I guess you could say I’m Korean-American, but with a big emphasis on the American part. I’m not as fluent as Miyoung because she actually moved from Seoul to the States when she was 10 years old.


While Miyoung and I rested and unpacked in our rooms, Kibum Oppa went out to pick up Ana from school. I put all my clothes in the closet and took out my phone to charge it. The phone rang and I saw that it was my parents.

“Mom! Dad! Miyoung and I are home safe.” I said quickly because I knew they were going to be upset that I didn’t call them right after we arrived at the airport.

“ChaeRin Pak, what did we specifically ask you to do once you've arrived in Seoul?”

“Yes mom, I’m sorry. My phone died and so I thought of calling you after I charged it.”

The conversation with them was nothing of the ordinary. They just asked how the flight was, how I’m feeling and if I took my medication. Miyoung came into my room and saw how much I was suffering from the conversation. Well, not literally. So she took the phone and told them that everything was fine. That’s what I love about my best friend. She really takes good care of me. She's like the big sister I never had.

“ChaeRinyah, you parents want to talk to you.” She handed my phone back and mouthed a thank you to her. She then smiled and sat on my bed, waiting for me to finish my goodbyes and I love you’s to my parents.

“Sorry about that, Chingu. They sounded like I was already dying or something.” XD

“Haha no problem, but next time don’t forget to call. Now, since Oppa is not back yet, how about helping me out making a lovely dinner for all of us?”

“Oh sure! That would be nice.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------


[JYP Website announcement board]

JYPE is proudly to announce the first ever “MAKE A WISH WITH ONEDAY” event. Starting March XX, 2010, JYP will be setting up a wishing well booth in every music store, where customers can write their name on a small form and drop it in the wishing well. At the end of the month we will reveal 5 winners. The 5 winners will have the opportunity to receive one of the four prizes:

1. A signed poster/CD from their favorite Idol(s)

2. Meet and greet their favorite idol(s)

3. Attend a concert of the winner’s choice

4. GRAND PRIZE.

The grand prize will not be revealed, however, if one of the five receives the golden ticket through airmail, you will be the GRAND WINNER.

RULES: Participants must be 16 years of age or older to join. Participants may also be asked to show a talent and may be filmed throughout the experience. NO PURCHASES NECESSARY.

QUESTIONS/CONCERNS: Please call XXX-XXX-XXX-XXX or contact us through e-mail.



(Khun's POV)

“Did you guys check the main site? A lot of people are commenting on how much they want to join the contest. And it was just posted this morning. Crazy!” I walked out of my room and saw Taec on his laptop with that weird pose he does.

“Do you actually think they will go through the grand prize?” I asked leaning by my door.

“What’s wrong, Khun? You don’t agree with Hyung? I think it would give the fans the chance to calm down and focus on something else.” Junsu walked out of the kitchen and pushed Taec’s legs off the couch to make room for him.

It's not that I don’t agree with this contest our company is having, I'm just more worried about the outcome. After what happened with Jay Hyung, I just didn’t want another person to go through it. Even though his case was different, the impact it had from fans and the netizens was big. Either way, who ever this winner is, they need to be prepared for what they signed up for. I shrugged and joined the guys in the living room.

“I didn’t say I don’t agree, I’m just worried with what others will say.”

“Don’t worry Hyung, Jiyoung Hyung won’t let another crazy press outrage come to play. Besides, the only crazy person we have to deal with is the new management. I still can’t believe Hyung just dropped as CEO. I mean it’s still his name, but why hire a new one?” I turned to my right and saw Chansung sitting on the floor with a banana in his hand.

“Well, Hyung wants to focus on producing and becoming a solo artist. He seems pretty happy doing it, so we got to hand it to him. At his age, I would think he would just focus on his kids. When I mean kids, I meant us.”

“Dude he’s in his mid-40s, there’s nothing old about that. Haha.” Wooyoung retorted. He was sitting between Chansung and Junho. He threw a pillow hoping to aim at Chansung, but he manages to miss and hit me instead. Before I could set my revenge on him, our manager walked in and told us to get ready for practice.

We are getting ready for our comeback, officially as a six-member group. It still saddens me to know Jay isn't with us anymore, but we both are satisfied with the outcome. He gets to be home with his family and friends and do the things he loves doing, while the rest of his brothers will carry on and pursue what we always wanted to do; sing and dance for our loving fans.


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(ChaeRin's POV)


Dinner was perfect and delicious. Kibum told us some of his experiences while he was serving in the military, Ana gave us the scoop on the events going on in the entertainment biz and Miyoungyah’s cooking was the best as always. It was already past midnight and I still couldn’t sleep. I guess I could blame that on the time difference and the hot cocoa that Ana made was refreshing. I decided to write a list of things I wanted to do because after these 3 weeks, Miyoungyah will start her training and I won’t be able to see her as often as I would like. I started my list with what she and I could do together. Visit Jeju Island, go to Lotte World, eat a lot of the desserts Seoul has to offer and basically paint the town red, or so to speak. My personal goals? Hmm, I’m not sure if I thought of one that I really want to do.

It was already 2:30AM and my list had plenty of scribbles, but what caught me off guard was the one with a big heart around it.

“I want to fall in love…” ><;

Did I really write that? I thought to myself. Sometimes I think my brain has a mind of its own. And on a sarcastic note, I think I might have one considering the tumor I had in my head. It hadn’t occurred to me until now that romance is something I have never experienced. Sure, I’ve seen it through dramas, movies and I've also seen my best friend in a relationship. Heck, I was there when that last jerk broke her heart and left with another girl clinging onto him in front of her, no less. Apparently, the jerk thought she was too ambitious and that she never spent time with him. They were all lies! She worked her off to get what she wanted and he probably saw that she had something going on in her life that must've made him jealous. In any case, it’s highly doubtful to find myself in a relationship. God, it's even highly impossible for me to meet a decent guy in this country. The only decent men I’ve seen are from the Asian dramas, but that’s me putting myself into the story as the main character.

Before going to bed, I scribbled out the heart and wrote: “Highly impossible.”

All I need right now is sleep and I'll just go with the flow after that.