Chapter 4

Forgotten Season

 

 

“Can the two of you tell me what is going on?” I rolled my eyes, frustrated at my brother who was looking away from me, and Haerin, who still remained stationary, and dumbstruck.

 

“Hello? Oppa, what the hell is happening here? Why are you, what Choikang something, and who are you exactly in this school?” I said a little too loudly, garnering attention from the other students.

 

“Come on, __-ah. I’ll explain everything. But not here okay?” Changmin explained, dragging me away from the hall.

 

“But Haerin eonni-“ I flailed, looking over at Haerin.

 

“It’s alright, I’ll meet you later __-ah!” Haerin shouted across, her senses back like finally.

 

After being dragged away from the overly crowded hall by a certain caring brother, I found myself standing in a beautifully furnished studio, surrounded with mahogany walls and floors. The studio was situated on one side of the ridiculously huge room, with its high-tech recording equipment and instruments, while the dance floor, assumedly for dance practice sessions, was just outside the secular studio. On the other side of the room, near to the door entrance, occupied furniture which made that particular part of the room look more like a lounge. Before I can grasp my surroundings more thoroughly, I was brought back to my senses by a wave of my brother’s hand.

 

“Stop being amazed, and do you want to listen to what I got to say?” Changmin smirked, earning a glare from me.

 

“I’m still angry, so spill it. Who are you in this school, and why did everyone call you Choikang Changmin or something, and how are you related-“

 

“Woah there. Which question do you want me to answer first? Just listen to my story okay?” Changmin smiled amusedly, bringing me over to the sofa at the lounge.

 

 

Flashback

It was the first day of freshmen orientation in Seoul University. Shim Changmin, who was smart enough to obtain a scholarship in Seoul University and skipped freshmen year, even though he was younger than the majority of the freshmen by two years, finds himself wandering around the campus looking for the…

Cafeteria.

 

“Where the hell is the cafeteria? I’m hungry,” Changmin whined quietly to himself, not noticing that a smartly dressed student walked up beside him.

 

“The cafeteria’s that way,” the guy with the brown, medium fringe smiled, pointing towards the direction of the cafeteria.

 

“Oh, thanks,” Changmin smiled gratefully, before preparing to rush off and appease his stomach.

 

“I’m Jung Yunho, president of the Student Council of Seoul University. Are you a freshman?” he asked politely.

 

“Er, I’m on a scholarship. I should be considered a freshman, but I skipped freshman year, so… yeah.” Changmin shrugged, getting impatient by the countless questions that were asked.

 

“You’re damn smart ,” Yunho laughed as he continued to walk beside Changmin, heading to the cafeteria.

 

“Which classes do you-“

 

“Hyung!” A high-pitched scream yelled out.

 

Before Changmin could even cover his ears, he saw a redhead guy wearing a blue tee with ‘XIA’ written on it and tight-fitting blue shorts, showcasing his firm behind, and literally bouncing towards the both of them.

 

“Oh god Su, did you just run a marathon or something?” Yunho’s face wrinkled in disgust as he saw how sweaty Junsu was.

 

“Nope, in fact I just played many, many rounds of soccer,” Junsu smiled cheekily, before looking over at Changmin, who was still looking towards the direction of the cafeteria. “Who’s this, hyung?”

 

“Oh, he’s-“

 

“I’m Shim Changmin, a new student here. I’m sorry but as much as you guys would like to chat and reminisce, I’m really hungry and I’d die without food. So please, let me just go to the cafeteria,” Changmin muttered frustrated, his mouth and stomach itching for food.

 

“God I’m hungry too, let me treat you since you’re a new student here. Come on Yunho hyung!” Junsu suggested, and motioned for Yunho to follow.

 

-

 

“Hyung, I shouldn’t have offered to buy him food, my weekly allowance are almost gone, ” Junsu mouthed an ‘O’, shock and surprise evident on his face.

 

“Serves you right,” Yunho laughed, barely able to contain his laughter.

 

“This is too delicious, I’m happy now!” Changmin stretched his arms as he rubbed his stomach.

 

“Did you normally eat this much?” Junsu asked curiously.

 

“Nope, I eat more than this actually,” Changmin replied nonchalantly, as if it was the most normal thing to do in the world.

 

“You used up my whole allowance, you pig,” Junsu complained, as he crossed his arms and pouted.

 

“You offered to buy me food, of course I won’t refuse! Anyway thanks for the treat, er what’s your name?” Changmin smiled cheekily.

 

“It’s Kim Junsu hyung, you,” Junsu replied.

 

“Huh, hyung? You’re older than me? I thought you’re younger than me!” Changmin faked an overly surprised look, earning a kick in the leg from Junsu.

 

“Yah, be respectful. I just treated you okay,” Junsu commanded, with a hint of playfulness in his voice.

 

“Hehe, fine. But I decided I like you Junsu hyung! Thanks for treating me,” Changmin scratched his head bashfully.

 

“Yah, how about me? I showed you around the campus!” Yunho argued, before he pouted.

 

“Ew gross hyung, don’t do that pouty look. It doesn’t suit you. I bet Jae hyung would bash your face up too,” Junsu said disgustedly, earning a smack from Yunho.

 

“Thanks, Yunho and Junsu hyung, for showing me around and treating me,” Changmin laughed, amused at the interaction between the both of them.

 

“Join us for lunch later, Changmin-ah! If I’m not wrong, we even had common classes right?” Yunho smiled.

 

“Yeah, hyung! I’ll see the both of you later!” Changmin waved goodbye, as he proceeded to the next class.

 

-

 First period’s Japan Studies, Changmin mumbled.

 

“Where is Room 602?” Changmin spoke a little too loudly, confused at all the different floors and buildings.

 

“Follow me kid,” a blonde-haired guy, with straight side partings and a little fringe covering his forehead, motioned for Changmin.

 

Seeing Changmin’s skeptical face and stationary posture, he explained, “You’re having Japan Studies right? I have that class too, so let me bring you there,”

 

“Oh, right. Thanks,” Changmin said, as they started walking side by side.

 

“My name’s Kim Jaejoong, what’s yours?” Jaejoong introduced himself, as they continued on their way to their respective class.

 

“The name’s Shim Changmin,” Changmin replied.

 

“Ah, nice to meet you. There’s not a lot of students taking Japan Studies from what I know of,” Jaejoong started, alleviating the awkward atmosphere around them.

 

“Yeah, Japan interests me. With its culture and traditions, all those that’s inside,” Changmin shrugged, smiling.

 

“That’s what I thought so too. I think we’d click well,” Jaejoong laughed, his shy and unique laughter making people who listen to it, affectionate.

 

“Seoul University sure have a lot of friendly dudes, I just met two this morning,” Changmin said, amused at the funny but friendly encounter this morning.

 

“Yep, join me for lunch later? I’ll treat you,” Jaejoong asked, welcoming him.

 

“As much as I love to because of that treat, two friends of mine asked me to lunch, so I’m afraid I’d have to reject you,” Changmin replied, feeling bad for rejecting another valuable lunch treat.

 

“Nah, it’s okay! Come on, we’re gonna be late for class!” Jaejoong urged, increasing his pace and dragging Changmin along.

 

-

The lunch bell rang and Changmin, being his usual hungry self packed his bag with such lightning speed and rushed off to the cafeteria.

 

“Hyung!” Changmin hollered over, catching the attention of Junsu and Yunho.

 

“Here, Changmin-ah!” Yunho waved him over.

 

As he walked over to the table where Yunho, Junsu and another familiar blonde-haired person were seated, Junsu started the introduction.

 

“Ah Changmin-ah, this is Kim Jaejoong, another of our brothers, or buddies,” Junsu grinned, looking over at Jaejoong.

 

“Oh, Changmin-ssi!” Jaejoong exclaimed.

 

“Jaejoong-ssi,” Changmin bowed, smiling.

 

“Jaejoongie hyung, Changmin’s two years younger than us, can you two not be so formal?” Junsu stated, as a

matter of fact.

 

“Really? Hey you, must be a really smart- Changmin-ah,” Jaejoong joked, patting Changmin on his back.

 

“Nah, not really, but anyway Jaejoong hyung, is that lunch treat still up for grabs? I’m hungry,” Changmin whined.

 

“Gosh, he’s really a glutton,” Junsu remarked, shaking his head.

 

-

The moment the four of them sat down and began eating, suddenly, a group of girls near the entrance door squealed. This brought the four of them to attention, only to see Yunho, Jaejoong and Junsu smirking afterwards. This brought more squeals and screams from the girls in the cafeteria as they realized how good-looking the five guys around that table are.

 

“The group’s romantic is finally back,” Jaejoong stated.

 

“Yoochun-ah!” Junsu exclaimed, walking over to the black-haired guy whose fringe is uniquely uneven, as Junsu wrung his arms over the guy’s shoulder.

 

“Su-ah!” Yoochun grinned cheekily, giving him a five.

 

“Jaejoongie hyung, my soulmate!” Yoochun drawled, earning a glare and a disgusted look from Jaejoong as Yoochun proceeded to hug him.

 

“And my lovely leader aka brother aka-“

 

“Yah, you’re finally back? Aish this bastard, didn’t even give us a call beforehand!” Yunho tsk-ed, before laughing out loud and giving Yoochun a fist bump.

 

“Oh and who’s this?” Yoochun asked, glancing over at Changmin, who’s back at devouring his food.

 

“Shim Changmin, a genius,” Yunho exclaimed, as Changmin looked up and gave him a glare.

 

“Nah, I’m no genius. Don’t listen to what Yunho hyung said,” Changmin replied, smiling at Yoochun before introducing himself.

 

“Shim Changmin,”

 

“Park Yoochun,” Yoochun smiled.

 

 

-

As time flew by, the five of them became the best of friends, or more like brothers. Even the whole school knows how close-knit the five of them are. One strange thing is that, they are all brought together by their common interest in music, even though with Yunho being the president of the Student Council, Jaejoong the vice-president of the Debate Team, Junsu the soccer team captain of Seoul University, Yoochun a ‘freelance’ or whatever you call it is, genius composer and pianist and Changmin, president of the student initiated ‘Food for Thought’ society, which focuses on food research and tasting.  And Dong Bang Shin Ki, or literally, Rising Gods of the East was then established, because of that one particular incident.

 

It’s freaking 10 boxes of pizzas, 10 sets of sushi which are differently flavoured, 10 bowls of ramen and 10 boxes of takoyaki hyung!” Changmin whined, his puppy eyes in action for the nth time that day.

 

“It’s a acapella singing contest, god Changmin,” Junsu yelled, increasing his pace towards their own studio room, which was sponsored by Jaejoong’s parents.

 

“We can do it hyung! Please? This competition requires five people, and we're one!” Changmin begged.

 

“Not for me. We don’t even have proper vocal lessons and now what?” Junsu reasoned, frustrated at Changmin’s continuous whining, and begging.

 

“What happened to Changmin?” Yoochun went over to Junsu, as they stepped into the studio.

 

“Yoochunnie hyung!” Changmin drawled, with his aegyo acting up on purpose again.

 

“That glutton wanted to join in the yearly acapella singing competition, just because the top prize consists of his favourite food. And do you know we’d have to have a song composed on our own, and we don’t even have proper vocal training lessons. How are we going to win?” Junsu exclaimed, a little too comically.

 

“For once, this is interesting…” Yoochun mumbled, not missing the glare from Junsu. “I mean, it’s acapella. Why don’t we try it out? It’s gonna be fun anyway!”

 

“What the hell Yoochun, I’m not going to embarrass myself,” Junsu pouted, crossing his arms.

 

“Dear Su, you’re going to embarrass me with that hell of an angelic voice that you have,” Yoochun rolled his eyes.

 

“As if yours is any worse,” Junsu rebutted.

 

“All the more we should just try it! You only live once, Junsu-ah,” Jaejoong and Yunho chorused from the door entrance, obviously hearing the whole conversation.

 

“Argh, okay fine. I give up. So what do we do with the competition’s requests?” Junsu stated.

 

“We can trust Yoochun to do the composing right? And with practice, I believe we would be able to stand out in this competition,” Yunho smiled.

 

“I guess so. You better worship me Changmin,” Junsu said sarcastically, only to see Changmin shouting out.

 

“Xiahnism!”

 

 


So yup, guys I'm back again! I'm really sorry for not updating like... six months? I believe I won't have time to write stories again. Well, hopefully I'd be continuing this story if I had the time! Thank you to those out there who are still supporting me, even though my story may seem to be really dead, and the storyline are just... ambiguous. I promise I'd update whenevner I had the time, but for now I guess I'd have to focus on my studies first. Sorry, and I love you guys. <3