The News

Star Collectors [Side-Story to Behind the Thick-Framed Glasses]
 
✻ chapter four:
the news
yoon mi's pov
 
 
"What? Boram, are you sure you're okay?" I asked again. "You're spouting nonsense now, should I take you to the nurse's office?"
 
"Yoon Mi, I'm perfectly fine!" The head of the Art Club cut me off and looked at me straight in the eye. "The Art Club isn't disbanded yet, but there's a very high possibility that it will."
 
I could tell from the tone of her voice that she wasn't joking anymore. "Why? How do you know?"
 
At that moment, the teacher walked in and we scrambled in opposite directions to our seats. Once we were seated, Boram mouthed several words to me and I nodded, getting that she'd tell me later. I felt a tap on my shoulder and Amber's voice whispering to me. "What wrong with the midget? What happened?"
 
I sighed, not liking her nickname 'midget' for Boram, and whispered back. "Art Club problems. I'll tell you in our class."
 
This was not good.
 
 
-- ♥ --
 
 
"The thing about the Art Club," I started to say to Amber once we were waiting for our history teacher to come, "is that we might have to disband!"
 
She gasped and dropped her mechanical pencil onto the table with a metallic clatter. "I just heard from Hyomin that the Dance Club might have to be disbanded too! And also the Drama Club!"
 
"Why do all of the clubs suddenly have to disband?" Jonghyun said, obviously puzzled as the rest of us. "It's not like we all did anything bad, right?"
 
"Right." Henry piped in, just as confuzzled as us. "But what if it's not because of something we did? Maybe it's something to do with the school..."
 
"D-d-do you mean b-budget cut-ts? A fifth voice joined our conversation and we all jumped. Behind us stood Seungwoo, who was hugging his notebook and eavesdropping innocently.
 
"Who are you?" Amber asked straightforwardly, eyeing the way he looked at the floor and the way his glasses were at the very edge of his nose.
 
"That's Yoo Seungwoo. He just joined the Art Club." I introduced, and he bowed his head. "But why are you here? Shouldn't you be in the other class? And what do you mean by budget cuts?"
 
"W-well... It is break time, after all..." he shyly started and looked down at his fingers. "And maybe the s-school doesn't have enough m-m-money to support as many after-school activities a-and clubs as before, so they have to c-cut back on some?"
 
Being kind enough to ignore his stuttering of words, Jonghyun seemed to consider this idea. "You're right; maybe that's the problem. But they can't get rid of all three clubs, can they?" We all shrugged with uncertainness at each other. The school board definitely can't do that, right?
 
...Wrong. The school board can definitely do that.
 
Boram had called a short emergency meeting during lunch and the whole Art Club practically freaked. Ahreum didn't want to hear the news and covered her ears while Teo ran away.
 
"We can still meet up in the classrooms, right? We haven't disbanded, right?" Soyeon asked, nibbling her nails, and we all just shrugged at her; none of us knew the answer.
 
I headed to my classroom, where I found Amber having her own little meeting with Jonghyun, Henry, Hyomin, and a few others from different classrooms. Sooyoung, Jonghyun's older sister who's in Seung Woo's class, was there too. The Dance Club sure was crowded...
 
I was about to head over to them when someone tapped my shoulder. Turning around, I was taken aback at who it was. "Oh, Rokhyun!"
 
"Yoon Mi, the news is spreading everywhere!" He said as Hyukjin came up behind him. "What should the clubs do now?"
 
I shrugged. "I have no idea. I hear it's because of budgets cuts... is that true?"
 
"Yeah, apparently it is. The head of the school board just announced it today." Hyukjin said solemly. "The school doesn't have enough money to fund all of us."
 
"Why don't we go on strike or something?" Rokhyun suggested, biting his lip thoughtfully. "Like not going to class unless we can keep our clubs."
 
I shook my head. "That wouldn't solve the problem of money."
 
"Then..." He bit his lip again, chewing on it, and then clapped his hands together once he got an idea. "Why don't we try and raise our own money?"
 
"You mean holding fundraisers and stuff?" I fiddled with the end of my sleeve and nodded. "That's actually not a bad idea!"
 
"We could have the three clubs do their own fundraising event and try to find money by themselves." Hyukjin added and we all smiled, glad to have found some sort of hope to believe in.
 
"That's great, now think of some topics for the history research project you're supposed to be doing." Mrs. Jung popped in between Rokhyun and I and we jumped. "Get moving!" She moved onto the next group of kids to scare them and I met eyes with Rokhyun, laughing.
 
"Let's get started!" Searching for interesting topics about Korea's history almost took my mind off of things. Almost.

 

 

▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬
▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬
 
✻ author's note the dorky me
oh my god, guys... i had this chapter all ready to be posted weeks ago, but i forgot to unhide it =_= ahaha not like you guys care.
~Ljjang창조♪